Thoughts about this recruiting class! | The Boneyard

Thoughts about this recruiting class!

Reaction Score
I think this is the best recruiting class that UConn has put together. Athletic and physical talent is hard to find. I believe Randy did a great job taking advantage of early signing period also.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't even think that Edsall would agree with you, but I love the enthusiasm. There seem to be some definite gems in this class, and I'm looking forward to seeing them on the gridiron...

Reaction Score
I don't even think that Edsall would agree with you, but I love the enthusiasm. There seem to be some definite gems in this class, and I'm looking forward to seeing them on the gridiron...
Well I have enthusiasm because I know this is the start of something great for UConn. I can say better recruits then what Disco Bob could get.

Reaction Score
Randy did say that this class made us better. It would have to be a very good class to be UConn's best. We have had many classes that produced multiple NFL draft picks.
I didn’t say best ever. Just one of the better ones in these past years

Reaction Score
We’ll know in 2-3 years.
We'll know sooner than that, redshirt freshman will be rare next year. Next year with a little luck, I think we go 7-5 and get a bowl bid. I also think recruiting next year picks up even more, and maybe a couple surprise pickups in state.

Reaction Score
We'll know sooner than that, redshirt freshman will be rare next year. Next year with a little luck, I think we go 7-5 and get a bowl bid. I also think recruiting next year picks up even more, and maybe a couple surprise pickups in state.

I hope you’re right, but there is no way to know if we have a defense and true fresh almost never turn you around.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Eh we heard this same stuff at the dawn of the Diaco era. When are we gonna learn? Wait til they hit the field.
It's only February. If we're going to be realistic, it's going to be a very long offseason.

Let's enjoy some unjustified optimism.

Reaction Score
I hope you’re right, but there is no way to know if we have a defense and true fresh almost never turn you around.
If we can win the first 2 out of 3, the season could be a good one. Our defensive secondary should be improved, and if the talent is there, lets hope those Freshman turn into Sophmore's the second half of the season.

Reaction Score
You never know what you have until game day. Some will surprise, some will disappoint, a few live up to their billing and most need to mature and develop over a few years. The key is a few solid back to back recruiting seasons, and finding one or two high impact players that can change the complexion of team.

Very worried next year could be real ugly. Not sold on the D or D.C. New OC with no real OC experience, QB position is a question mark and Pindell isn't the horse taking you to the promised land. The new kid is going to take time to get ready assuming he is as good as everyone thinks. But, then again, you never know.

Reaction Score
You never know what you have until game day. Some will surprise, some will disappoint, a few live up to their billing and most need to mature and develop over a few years. The key is a few solid back to back recruiting seasons, and finding one or two high impact players that can change the complexion of team.

Very worried next year could be real ugly. Not sold on the D or D.C. New OC with no real OC experience, QB position is a question mark and Pindell isn't the horse taking you to the promised land. The new kid is going to take time to get ready assuming he is as good as everyone thinks. But, then again, you never know.

Those are all valid concerns from a half empty point of view, but maybe HCRE knows he might have to take a proactive role in all those coaching areas for the time being. Edsall has always been a control freak anyway but IMO, in a good way. The one area Dunn is experienced is in working with Edsall, which is going to be important. So yes, there are some question marks, but at least our head coach is not named Diaco anymore.

Reaction Score
I am in the cautious optimism-trust in HCRE camp. His past history dictates his philosophy: Work with what you inherited, while cleaning out the refuse & installing a solid foundation, All the while, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a Terry Caulley type pick up. Here's hoping that this formula bears fruit shortly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I am in the cautious optimism-trust in HCRE camp. His past history dictates his philosophy: Work with what you inherited, while cleaning out the refuse & installing a solid foundation, All the while, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a Terry Caulley type pick up. Here's hoping that this formula bears fruit shortly.
I think this will be what helps this team make the jump. RE needs to land one bigger recruit that helps this team make a leap. Orlovsky was that guy back in the day. We need to hope someone this class or next can be a recruit who takes this team to the next level. We will see if this class has that player but I wouldn’t sleep on last year’s QB crop or this year’s QB. They could be the spark we need. I also think Hunter Webb is going to be a stud for us on D.

There is hope that the raw ability is there with a lot of kids. We need to hope that RE still has it when it comes to taking that raw ability and turning it into gold.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
HCRE is the master at slow, steady progress. He'll get us to the promised land (respectability).

Reaction Score
Well I have enthusiasm because I know this is the start of something great for UConn. I can say better recruits then what Disco Bob could get.
This was in 2015 posted on this board -
"The only thing that gives me a positive outlook for the future is that Diaco has demonstrated a very good understanding of recruiting for UCONN. He was able to identify and address very quickly, a very, very bad situation we had with the OL in the time from his hiring in December 2013, to signing day Feb. 2014, by stabilizing a recruiting class, and closing on new recruits in short orders, and bringing in 5 OL's and 2 TE's, of which most contributed to game time play in 2014. He's got a 2015 class, that is going to be maxed out in NLI signing numbers. By continuing like this, by fall of 2016, we will have a full roster of 85 players that have all been identified, and recruited through an NLI signing cycle process, for the first time since about 2007-2008."

Be enthusiastic, but also be realistic. Like under Diaco, a lot of these kids lacked offers from D1 schools at at least the AAC/MAC level. No doubt they are all great kids, I think the Edsall staff has a 1000x higher likelihood of coaching them up versus Diaco, but on an overall talent level, not close to the best class ever. I would say it is closer to Edsall's historical average. What you hope for is 2 skill players on O, 3 OL/TE, 2 DL, 2 LB and 2 DB's to become fixtures in the lineup starting in 2019/2020 out of this class. That would be one heck of a positive result.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What was your prediction going into the season in 2017?

Last year, only 2 losses were within 1 score. The balance were essentially blow outs. Uconn needs to find a way to cover an average point differential of 21 (average margin of loss in 2017). If you want equal gains on both sides, the D needs to improve by giving up 10 less per game and the O needs to score 11 more per game. I'm not sure I see that gap narrowing in a best case scenario that would result in 7 wins.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say best ever. Just one of the better ones in these past years
I think you did. If not the best ever which is it 3rd? 14th?

"I think this is the best recruiting class that UConn has put together"

Reaction Score
If we're better this year it will have to be because some new players have stepped in and contributed on defense. We're desperately thin at LB though but wouldn't rule out some talented FR stepping in at DB.

IMO the offense will be better because the blocking will be better and we have 2 QB's that can present problems for opposing defenses. I think Washington sees the field even if Pindell is named starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom