Thoughtful Assessment of how our freshman integrate into our team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughtful Assessment of how our freshman integrate into our team

Reaction Score
What is it about Westbrook that makes her a fit at smaller forward other then being 6 foot? Sounds like being 6 foot would give her a good advantage at point guard. Her assist numbers at Tennessee weren’t bad, she even had double digit assist games 3 times while at Tennessee. I believe both Williams and Ana had more rebounds in a season then Westbrook, that’s why if Pagie is to you start I think Williams will move to small forward and Ana power forward or to the bench.

Sure 6 foot is fine for a pg. But what's wrong with potentially having two pg's on the floor that can both pass and shoot and score? To further that, I don't think Evina is that quick for a pg- though i admit I've only seen very little of her. But if you think she's a pg - which is fine-- what's wrong with having her and Paige on the floor together? And if they are in with CWill who is the SF?

As far as rebound numbers-- I don't put any stock in what Evina did as a pg in terms of rebounding. Geno and Holly are from other planets when it comes to expectations and performance from players.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The team has ridiculous versatility. I just want to add that many teams don't have a "power" forward. And many that do aren't very good. And with the 3 point shot - many teams play small too. To further that- the best 5 players might be Liv, Evina, Anna, CWill, and Paige. While this is not a starting lineup more than likely - it can mean they all get the most minutes.

So many options for this team it's ridiculous.
That's actually the starting lineup I expect to see. Just my $.02. Some think Paige will come off the bench and Aubrey (or Aaliyah) will start in her place. However, IMHO Paige will be the best PG on the team from day one. She has the moxie and temperament to shoulder the burden of being the starting PG as a freshman, and therefore (IMHO) will be the starter from day 1.

Reaction Score
That's actually the starting lineup I expect to see. Just my $.02. Some think Paige will come off the bench and Aubrey (or Aaliyah) will start in her place. However, IMHO Paige will be the best PG on the team from day one. She has the moxie and temperament to shoulder the burden of being the starting PG as a freshman, and therefore (IMHO) will be the starter from day 1.

I really have no idea who would start. OFC until I see Evina - I'm concerned about her knee and that she has missed a lot of playing time / game shape ready - and ofc I've seen less of her than anyone else. Yet I think she is also a potential POY candidate if healthy.

But who would you start at PF?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Woah alot of great comments and thoughts. Sounds like we have a bunch of players who can play alot of positions. I agree Nika is a pg and Liv is a center and that most likely wont change. We have a bunch of kids who can pass and shoot but cant they handle the ball at the point? Evina, Nika and Paige can. The rest can handle the ball but I dont think they can break a press or lead a fast break. CW is pretty good at the point but imo more suited not playing the point. My reasoning is you dont want to keep switching CW and Evina back and forth between the point and another position. Westbrook already has experience at the point at a D1 level. Paige and Nika will grow into that position and I wouldnt be surprised to see Paige at the shooting /off guard due to Evinas experience, and Nika and Paiges need to be developed into those positions. There are definatley alot of "what ifs" this season. One thing is for sure we have alot of really good players who can do alot really well. They will need to play. What we lack is experience with so many underclassman and we have no seniors so it is very important imo to gain experience and you gain experience by playing. Looking at our offense we almost have a 3 guard offense. With that said we have so many who can shoot and score and make plays and see plays developing is why I am so excited about this team. Another thought is with the girls coming in next season what positions do we want this years freshman class to play? Alot of chess to be played this season on the development of each player as well as molding them into the team concept.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really have no idea who would start. OFC until I see Evina - I'm concerned about her knee and that she has missed a lot of playing time / game shape ready - and ofc I've seen less of her than anyone else. Yet I think she is also a potential POY candidate if healthy.

But who would you start at PF?
No one, per se. At 6'1"+, Anna is big and strong enough, and there's no reason we can't start 4 guard types and 1 center. I mean don't get me wrong, Geno will decide and I'm not advocating any particular starting lineup over another, but i think that is our best core group...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I continue to feel that Aaliyah Edwards can become the PF and soon. If that happens the assumed order of things will be upset. Just using her to give ONO a breather can be done and may need to be done, but her best use is as a PF.

Reaction Score
I think Connelly is miss-stating what Geno said. It wasn't playing college ball but being ready as far as having a good understanding about college offenses and defenses and being comfortable with UConn practices. I think the words were "she 'got it' from day one".
The biggest problem UConn freshmen face is coming from a HS program where the offense was designed around them and they rarely played a supporting role. They were the engines of their teams and now they are just a cam shaft in a much more complicated engine. That's why I see Bueckers being part of the rotation from day one. Watching her highlights one can easily see her as a scoring guard first but it was her leadership on the court that is the most impressive thing about her. She has had the advantage of being a pg on a team loaded with enough athletic talent to allow her to shine her skills as a distributor.

I think the freshmen as a group will play and impress in-conference but if and when UConn faces top 5 teams their minutes, except for Bueckers, will shrink, as has often happened in the past.

Re the freshman coming from a HS program comment, I would think the international competition experience will help some of these players. Bueckers, Edwards, Muhl all have international competition experience. I know from watching the Canadian WNT over the years, their style of play isn't designed with one player in mind. And Edwards spending time with that team would help prepare her for playing a role versus being the focus.

Watching USA Basketball games, it seems that way too. I can't speak for the Croatian program as I haven't been able to watch much. I just think this group is better prepared for that situation due to these experiences.

Reaction Score
I think Nika will make an impact from Day 1. Her handle & aggressiveness on both ends is exactly what you want from a point guard. She's been playing against older, bigger players including professionals, which will definitely help her at Uconn. She's definitely a leader. As long as she makes her layups & uncontested mid-range jumpers to keep the defense honest, she will be a force. Her ceiling is high. Frankly, the comp to Bent is way-off and an insult to Nika.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe all the freshmen will struggle early because of nerves. After that they will begin to settle in. Look at Anna and Griffin last season. Until they got over being nervous and adjusted to the system, they struggled. Most UConn freshmen do. I don't think this group will be any different. They will have to get over Genovitus.

Reaction Score
I continue to feel that Aaliyah Edwards can become the PF and soon. If that happens the assumed order of things will be upset. Just using her to give ONO a breather can be done and may need to be done, but her best use is as a PF.
I agree with most of this, and would not be surprised if partway thru this season she wins the starting PF and holds it for the remainder of her Uconn career. Having said that, at least for much of this year I could see her playing almost as much as Liv's backup than at her more natural PF position.

That could be true regardless of whether Edwards or Griffin starts at PF. If Piath is a better option to back up Liv than Edwards or Griffin from the beginning, then fine, both of the PF's can concentrate on their best position.

Most seem to think,however, that it will take more time for Piath to earn regular minutes, since she is not a super highly rated prospect, and often described as having some natural ability but more like a project. If that is the case we need to use either Edwards or Griffin when Liv is out.

If we use a tight three big rotation, then when Liv is on the bench both Edwards and Griffin are in the game. So if one of them has to be the center, isn't Edwards because of her size the best choice between the two? In essence a three big rotation, where Liv gets all of her minutes at C, Griffin gets all of her minutes at PF, and Edwards minutes are split between the two positions. That strategy can be deployed regardless of whether Edwards or Griffin starts at PF.

You do have to substitute a little early in some cases and a little later than ideal in others, to make a rotation of three work for two positions. On the other hand, if the third in the rotation is a star compared to starters of your opponents, and the fourth is a question mark (Piath) it may be worth it and it gets you more significant minutes for the stars of the bench.

This same principle can be applied to the wings, where we have three star candidates for two spots, and a question mark for the fourth contender (Mir). Yes I know Westbrook is also a viable option at PG and Mir at PF, but I prefer to consider them for these roles. In this case, Williams I think of as mostly a one position player (SG), but Westbrook and Makurat are very versatile and could also play point if necessary in addition to SG or SF.

Once again the worst of those three is a star worthy of significant minutes and it appears to be a substantial potential drop-off to the fourth option (Mir), so a three wing rotation could work very well here as well.

Part of this strategy is base on the assumption that Paige is the real deal, and Nika is at worst a way above average backup. I like the more traditional scenario there with Paige and Nika in well defined roles. If they fall well short of expectations, then yes Westbrook and Makurat may get some minutes there, but I hope that also will not be necessary.

In a season with so many new additions, I think it is relatively more important to get players settled into the role they will be playing in the tournament as soon as possible. Some think the natural transition is Westbrook starting at PG then maybe Paige earning the starting spot late in the season. If that is the likely end of season scenario, then do it now.

Get the growing pains out of the way in less important games, let Paige get used to playing with the starters not the bench. Give Edwards regular minutes at both big positions right away so she can get comfortable in that role whether she starts right away or not. I am completely confident Westbrook and Makurat can handle switching between SG and SF with ease.

You have an 8 player rotation where 5 of those can get used to playing mainly just one position. Only Westbrook, Makurat and Edwards are asked to play more, and in their case just two, even though they and others could be used at more than that.

In a shortened season, with practice restrictions, and 7 players that did not play with the team last season, the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid) would seem advantageous this year more than ever. A tight 8 player rotation, getting the freshmen that will ultimately earn minutes playing time now instead of later, and having more limited clearly defined positions and roles, would seem to prepare them best for the tournament to me.

Reaction Score
In a shortened season, with practice restrictions, and 7 players that did not play with the team last season, the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid) would seem advantageous this year more than ever. A tight 8 player rotation, getting the freshmen that will ultimately earn minutes playing time now instead of later, and having more limited clearly defined positions and roles, would seem to prepare them best for the tournament to me.

Great post!!!! Just to add a few points and a few disagreements.

1---A minor pint - I see a 7 player rotation. I just haven't seen Nika enough. No way am I saying she can't be a big contributor and be terrific etc -- I just haven't seen her enough.

2--- I can't see Anna being a pg based on last year. I look at one characteristic for a pg to me - "can a pg beat her defender off the dribble?" Until I see "the new Anna" - based on last year she can't. However I know Paige and Evina can. Possibly Nika can too. If Anna is the pg then it means for example when UCONN starts it's offense far away from the basket Anna will probably be guarded by a smaller player in which she isn't a threat to beat her off the dribble. Thus she is not a threat to make a play. Keep her on the wing and she is threat every second.

3-- In terms of KISS, I agree to an extent. But KISS is however we perceive it to be without the benefit of seeing players in practice and on many tapes which coaching staff has etc. For example, while I think Evina looks a bit awkward playing pg, others don't. And many of "the others" have seen her much more than I and they like her as a pg. So if we are to use KISS strategy then she is probably the best or 2nd best pg on the roster and she has played it often. Having her as the pg over Nika is still KISS strategy. So who is the better pg, excluding Paige, Nika or Evina?

4-- And this leads to Paige when it comes to KISS. It is possible that Paige might be the best or 2nd best guard on the team. Or if not it is possible that there are some games she is just hot from the floor. She has played off-the-ball in H/S. I don't think it's against KISS strategy to also have her play off the ball because she has done it. The number 1 overall high school recruit has shown she has played it. And i'd be shocked if there isn't some games where she is just a machine scoring. In some games you may need her to score thus let her play off the ball too. This leads my 2nd point about KISS>

5-- There is such a thing as over-coaching. IMO you also have to "Let them play offensively." Let them play to what comes natural for them while being efficient.. I think it more natural offensively that Anna stays on the wing. I don't think CWill is affected at all if she is a sg or sf. I think Evina and Paige are fine playing with the ball or without it on the perimeter. I even think offensively we can still have KISS Strategy even if all 4 are on the court together with one center and 4 perimeter players. That also fits right into KISS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno said Mir was incredibly athletic and had good rebounding abilities, he also agreed with Chloe when she said Mir was a hard worker, I think Geno will be able find her some minutes on the floor. I see a 9 player rotation next year with both Mir and Nika getting minutes along with Paige and Edwards. Depending on what you consider decent minutes Geno used 9 players back in 2015-2016 with Chong and Butler both getting 12 minutes each.

Reaction Score
I disagree with Nika not getting alot of playtime her freshman year. Watching her videos and yes theyre videos not necessarily high light films she is a terrific passer just like Anna and Paige. Westbrook is still recovering from her injury and I would think UConn will take it slow with her starting the season giving time to Paige and Nika. Nika it has been said is tuff and a very good ball handler. I think she will see minutes and surprise alot of people.

Westbrook will be fine when the season starts in January, there simply are not enough minutes to go around and with Muhl buried on the depth chart as the 5th guard I don't see her getting much run.

Reaction Score
I like David Connelly, but find his freshman analysis less analysis than history scrounging to find someone to give him numbers. The worst of it being Nika will get very little time so she's Molly Bend. I do hope that she practices in a way that leads to real minutes. You don't draft a thoroughbred and then leave her in the barn.
You do when you have 4 other thoroughbreds that are significantly better than her.

Reaction Score
One other little error of David's part. Evina is not a "returner." He's on safe ground to think she may start and her performance at Tenn suggests she should thrive in Geno's system, but it's a projection.

She practiced with the team last year up until her surgery and was at virtually every practice after she got her surgery as well, there is a reason she is a Captain this year.

Reaction Score

I agree, I think come tournament time Edwards will be starting at the 4. Griffen is a good player, but she is just giving away too much height to play the 4 against the bigger teams in the country.

Reaction Score
I think Connelly is miss-stating what Geno said. It wasn't playing college ball but being ready as far as having a good understanding about college offenses and defenses and being comfortable with UConn practices. I think the words were "she 'got it' from day one".
The biggest problem UConn freshmen face is coming from a HS program where the offense was designed around them and they rarely played a supporting role. They were the engines of their teams and now they are just a cam shaft in a much more complicated engine. That's why I see Bueckers being part of the rotation from day one. Watching her highlights one can easily see her as a scoring guard first but it was her leadership on the court that is the most impressive thing about her. She has had the advantage of being a pg on a team loaded with enough athletic talent to allow her to shine her skills as a distributor.

I think the freshmen as a group will play and impress in-conference but if and when UConn faces top 5 teams their minutes, except for Bueckers, will shrink, as has often happened in the past.
I agree with you that they might end up using Paige as a shooting guard. I consider Paige and Anna to be our best 3 point shooters right now. That could change and Nika could find minutes at PG. Its going to be very interesting. I can't wait.

Reaction Score
Geno said Mir was incredibly athletic and had good rebounding abilities, he also agreed with Chloe when she said Mir was a hard worker, I think Geno will be able find her some minutes on the floor. I see a 9 player rotation next year with both Mir and Nika getting minutes along with Paige and Edwards. Depending on what you consider decent minutes Geno used 9 players back in 2015-2016 with Chong and Butler both getting 12 minutes each.

Reaction Score
How ridiculous when people assess players they have never seen play. Speculation is fine, but like Makurat, I don‘t believe for a second Auriemma brought Muhl halfway around the world for mop up minutes. While, like Makurat, there probably will be an adjustment period, her pedigree does not suggest as much either.

Reaction Score
This might be possible with Mir being #9, but it is certainly a very high standard comparing to the 15-16 team. That team had two future All Americans and WNBA players as the 6th and 7th super-subs, with Napheesa and Gabby. #8 Chong played in the WNBA one year, and #9 Butler was drafted, and #10 Ekmark transferred and started at a significant Division 1 school.

That year the Huskies were head and shoulders ahead of every other team, and their second five could have easily been ranked ahead of all but a few first string units nationwide. I think this year's bench might be one of their best ever, but is unlikely to approach the level of the 15-16 team. The first three off the bench I feel really good about, and consider Mir and Piath players that could prove themselves and give us confidence in 9 and 10 as well, but at this point I think they are still question-marks for now.

Next year having a star substitute for #9 and #10 is probable. If Evina stays, and you add Amari, Saylor and Carolyn, the star substitutes could carry into the third team. I expect Evina will probably depart, but of course the unnamed one could decide to come here as well.

On paper there will be several highly ranked players on the "third" unit. Now realistically some will probably disappoint, or be unhappy with playing time and leave, remember Megan's class. For now depth is looking very good and next year exceptionally good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She practiced with the team last year up until her surgery and was at virtually every practice after she got her surgery as well, there is a reason she is a Captain this year.

You might recall Azura Stevens. She, too, was on the practice squad for a year. When she started playing the following year she was somewhat erratic and error prone. Geno explained it as necessary adjust to game conditions and practice squad minutes are not equivalent to game conditions. But no matter, our erstwhile sports reporter simply goofed when he lumped her with the returning 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom