This Win is the Greatest Win in UConn History | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This Win is the Greatest Win in UConn History

Reaction Score
In fact, we were never a shoe-in to be in the Sweet Sixteen. We had to play Syracuse, which was taller, and had momentum. Even the BigEast Championship was not a given.

Miracle on the Connecticut!!!!
Yup. I thought the sweet sixteen was already overachieving. Not reasonable at all. I don’t even have a word for this win. Final Four again!!! How on earth did Paige &Co pull this off?!?!

Reaction Score
Not five: Fudd, Patterson, El, Caroline, Griffin, DeBerry.

However, in my personal opinion, this is not the greatest win, although it can be argued it’s Geno’s greatest coaching accomplishment under the adverse circumstances. I can think of a few that I would rank ahead of it, including the win against Tennessee in 95.

Additionally, if Geno won the award it would set back the NCAA’s pursuit of parity eight years. That would be bad for women’s basketball. :confused:
UCONN bad, everyone else good

Reaction Score
I was struck how big and strong USC’s players looked at the opening tip. That we hung in there and beat them in foul trouble is amazing. I’m SO proud of this team! We had no reason to expect a Final Four given the injuries. We owe these young ladies a huge thank you.

Reaction Score
It's N. Carolina State not N. Carolina, but you may be correct in their beating S. Carolina.
I realized my mistake later. and had already posted and didn't know how to correct it. I'm surprised it took so long for it to be noticed. You are one of my favorite posters.. I still believe. I'm the"possible guy" and it's still possible. GU HUSKIES!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Until a 2024 victory over NC State in the finals?

Star Wars Doom GIF
Doomed!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I realized my mistake later. and had already posted and didn't know how to correct it. I'm surprised it took so long for it to be noticed. You are one of my favorite posters.. I still believe. I'm the"possible guy" and it's still possible. GU HUSKIES!!!!
You can make corrections/changes up to thirty minutes from your post. Next time you post something look at it, you will see on the bottom left corner a "Edit" button. Click on it and make your corrections if they are needed and then save it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The hub and I were just discussing yesterday's game vs the 2 OT elite 8 game vs NCSU in 2022. That was thrilling for what it was, however this game, considering the odds and everything else that happened this season, might be the best win ever.

Reaction Score
“Success is peace of mind that is the direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
-- John Wooden

To me it is the greatest because of what this team accomplished with what they have.

Kat

Reaction Score
Geno is like the Meryl Streep of coaching. Streep hasn't won nearly enough Oscars, and Geno should have more COY awards. The people who choose to bestow these honors just take them for granted, and they both don't look like they are working hard at their craft. That's because they are so good at it.

Reaction Score
If that were to happen it would be one of the three greatest upsets in the history of sports

2024 Women's College Basketball Championship Odds​

A loss by the Gamecocks would be a bigger upset than

The miracle on ice

The previously mentioned men's Wolfpack win back in 83

Take your pick super bowl 3 or super bowl 42

According to the betting odds by ESPN a $12 bet makes you a dollar. I might be willing to bet $120,000 on a South Carolina win.

The real question can North Carolina State Wolfpack stay within 15
No way does a SC loss even compare with the Miracle on Ice! SC has struggled to beat their last two opponents and are currently undefeated by virtue of a once in a lifetime banked in three by Cardoso!

The Soviets were four time defending champions, having gone 27-1-1 in those for Olympics, were essentially grown men professionals going up against the youngest US team ever, and they (the Soviets) had just gone 5-3-1 against NHL teams! They were considered to be essentially unbeatable! When that game was played I was on my way from Seattle to Portland and at the end of the game (I was listening on the radio) I suddenly saw all these cars (coming and going) start pulling off the side of the road. I thought “There must be a wreck, or an emergency vehicle” so I too pulled off the road. Everyone was getting out of their cars so I did as well. As I did so, I realized they were all cheering and waving their arms! That was a very different time!

That win against the Soviets was just unbelievable and seeing those people cheering on the side of the road was a special moment in my life. Everyone was so unified!

Anyway, there is no comparison between the Gamecocks potentially losing to a very good NC State team and “The Miracle on Ice”! Sure, SC is a very good team and probably will/should win the championship but they certainly do not present as some “unbeatable, once in a lifetime, quasi-professional basketball team whose failure to win would result in a made up, universally recognized catchphrase, and in books and movies being made about them! Sorry for the rant!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No way does a SC loss even compare with the Miracle on Ice! SC has struggled to beat their last two opponents and are currently undefeated by virtue of a once in a lifetime banked in three by Cardoso!

The Soviets were four time defending champions, having gone 27-1-1 in those for Olympics, were essentially grown men professionals going up against the youngest US team ever, and they (the Soviets) had just gone 5-3-1 against NHL teams! They were considered to be essentially unbeatable! When that game was played I was on my way from Seattle to Portland and at the end of the game (I was listening on the radio) I suddenly saw all these cars (coming and going) start pulling off the side of the road. I thought “There must be a wreck, or an emergency vehicle” so I too pulled off the road. Everyone was getting out of their cars so I did as well. As I did so, I realized they were all cheering and waving their arms! That was a very different time!

That win against the Soviets was just unbelievable and seeing those people cheering on the side of the road was a special moment in my life. Everyone was so unified!

Anyway, there is no comparison between the Gamecocks potentially losing to a very good NC State team and “The Miracle on Ice”! Sure, SC is a very good team and probably will/should win the championship but they certainly do not present as some “unbeatable, once in a lifetime, quasi-professional basketball team whose failure to win would result in a made up, universally recognized catchphrase, and in books and movies being made about them! Sorry for the rant!:rolleyes:
Maybe the top 10,000 upsets of all time?

Over under - SC wins by -19? 20?

Maybe not even an upset, maybe the NCSU team should be favored?

Reaction Score
In fact, we were never a shoe-in to be in the Sweet Sixteen. We had to play Syracuse, which was taller, and had momentum. Even the BigEast Championship was not a given.

Miracle on the Connecticut!!!!
Sorry, no miracle, just a well done job

Reaction Score
Personally, I think the greatest game was the Tennessee game in January of '95. That game really put UConn on the basketball map. But this game was the best at overcoming adversity. In 2001 when Shea and Sveta went down, they didn't overcome the adversity as well. They still had superstars Taurasi, Bird, Cash, Jones and Williams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom