This Win is the Greatest Win in UConn History | Page 4 | The Boneyard

This Win is the Greatest Win in UConn History

Reaction Score
Personally, I think the greatest game was the Tennessee game in January of '95. That game really put UConn on the basketball map. But this game was the best at overcoming adversity. In 2001 when Shea and Sveta went down, they didn't overcome the adversity as well. They still had superstars Taurasi, Bird, Cash, Jones and Williams.
That was the SUPER TEAM in 2001, and the one that didn't win, due to injuries to Svet & Sheah and the poor shooting of a freshman that earned us 2003 & 2004 Natties

Reaction Score
Paige completely took the game over. I was saying "Where's Paige?" early in the 2nd half. Then she showed up and completely took the game over.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Personally, I think the greatest game was the Tennessee game in January of '95. That game really put UConn on the basketball map. But this game was the best at overcoming adversity. In 2001 when Shea and Sveta went down, they didn't overcome the adversity as well. They still had superstars Taurasi, Bird, Cash, Jones and Williams.
I was going to suggest listing that game (1995) as well, for the same reason. But probably the NC game that year was the bigger win.

Reaction Score
Maybe the top 10,000 upsets of all time?

Over under - SC wins by -19? 20?

Maybe not even an upset, maybe the NCSU team should be favored?
That’s more like it!:)

Nev

Reaction Score
4 down, 2 to go. Uconn has handled Iowa 4 times in the past few years, even with Clark, we won going away. This team has arrived and playing their best BB this year. S. Cal put up a fight, but fell short. I said it before and I'll say it again..... I BELIEVE!!!!!!! I also believe that No. Carolina will beat S. Carolina in the FF and Uconn will beat N. Carolina in the championship game. I BELIEVE!!!! GO FRESHMEN!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!! GO PAIGE !!!! GO AALIYAH !!!!!!
It's North Carolina State. Wish it was North Carolina.

Reaction Score
And they deserve it, not only this year but the past 5-6 years, Dawn has done a great job and her staff recruits well .

Reaction Score
GKMQvYoaEAAIXwb.jpg

GKKl7dMaQAAmPVc.jpg

Reaction Score
5 injured players on the bench this is Genos Greatest Coaching Season and maybe in all of BB history
YES! To have three point guards on the floor and teach two of them how to move without the ball well into the season has been amazing to watch. Paige having to play as a forward on defense explains why Geno trusts her anywhere and why he keeps calling her the best player.
But, Geno isn't one of the finalists for Coach of the Year... How can that be??
I have one word for this...... Asinine, OK maybe a couple more..... ;), ridiculous, moronic, idiotic, senseless, nonsensical, unintelligent. I could go on but my point made. I would love for someone to make a point of why Geno should not be on the list. This while a tip of my cap to Wes Moore of NC State. To make it even more silly this is titled late season contenders. What coach on the list has done more with so many parts missing?

Reaction Score
Is Geno now only 3 games behind Tara on the number of wins or 4 games?
You are correct on the 3 games behind. Geno started the season 6 games behind, and Tara was done with 30 wins. Geno and the Huskies have 33 wins, so he can't catch Tara this season, but maybe before Dec 31st, 2024 - one can hope...

Reaction Score
YES! To have three point guards on the floor and teach two of them how to move without the ball well into the season has been amazing to watch. Paige having to play as a forward on defense explains why Geno trusts her anywhere and why he keeps calling her the best player.

I have one word for this...... Asinine, OK maybe a couple more..... ;), ridiculous, moronic, idiotic, senseless, nonsensical, unintelligent. I could go on but my point made. I would love for someone to make a point of why Geno should not be on the list. This while a tip of my cap to Wes Moore of NC State. To make it even more silly this is titled late season contenders. What coach on the list has done more with so many parts missing?

I particularly love your Thesaurus section. Maybe a Boneyard sponsored Coach of the Year banner and a T-shirt with the character of the movie "Up" would be in order...

Probably would be Geno's most prized award EVER!!!

Reaction Score
Not a woman.

To be clear, none of those finalists could have done what he did. His most desrving year ever.
I don't really care who the committee deems coach of the year but I do think Auriemma is deserving of being in the mix. I'm curious who would be your 4 finalists. Would any of the committee's finalists--Bluder, Gottlieb, Staley, and VanDerveer--make your list?

Reaction Score
1995, first National Championship can't be "surpassed" for me
The best non-tournament game was the 1995 MLK Day victory over the evil empire. That Ladies and gentlemen started it all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gnat 2.0? (I like that, "gnew gnat")
Thanks. I thought about going with gnu gnat but it seemed like a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
You are correct on the 3 games behind. Geno started the season 6 games behind, and Tara was done with 30 wins. Geno and the Huskies have 33 wins, so he can't catch Tara this season, but maybe before Dec 31st, 2024 - one can hope...
Commander - You are right on. Despite UConn's slow start, Geno made up one game on Tara this season through the conference playoffs. Tara entered the NCAA tournament with a 5-victory lead. When Stanford got eliminated in the Sweet 16, that gave Geno a lane to draw potentially within one, assuming UConn goes all the way. If they get into the finals and lose, it's -2. If they lose Friday night, it's -3. Anyway you look at it, Geno's within striking distance. When you consider the strong team he's going to have next year, and the weakened team Stanford will have + a lot of more challenging travel games, we should see a new leader next season.

Looks like only the retired vets (you, me and the sarge) are following this.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Remember 1989 , when Lemond won the last stage by 58'' and the tour by 8 seconds
Yes, when Laurent Fignon wanted his fans to see his flowing hair, and chose not to wear a helmet.

Reaction Score
Several of the NC games looked like the last stage of the Tour de France.
Would an individual time trial (35 km to Nice?1?) between Clark and Paige be the appropriate penultimate stage to going over the cobblestones on their way to the Champs-Élysées in the shadow of the Arch de Triumphe vs. South Carolina (or even better odds vs. NC State to "erase" a different loss this season)

Reaction Score
Commander - You are right on. Despite UConn's slow start, Geno made up one game on Tara this season through the conference playoffs. Tara entered the NCAA tournament with a 5-victory lead. When Stanford got eliminated in the Sweet 16, that gave Geno a lane to draw potentially within one, assuming UConn goes all the way. If they get into the finals and lose, it's -2. If they lose Friday night, it's -3. Anyway you look at it, Geno's within striking distance. When you consider the strong team he's going to have next year, and the weakened team Stanford will have + a lot of more challenging travel games, we should see a new leader next season.

With a new conference for Stanford to deal with (and hopefully five losses in the ACC), January, 2025 is looking for a lead for Geno that will not be relinquished in wins. Had Tara not taken a full season off to work with the USA Olympic team, Geno would be over 35 games behind her...

Reaction Score
I don't really care who the committee deems coach of the year but I do think Auriemma is deserving of being in the mix. I'm curious who would be your 4 finalists. Would any of the committee's finalists--Bluder, Gottlieb, Staley, and VanDerveer--make your list?
#1 Geno; #2 Wes Moore; #3 Bluder; #4 JR Payne from Colorado OR Scott Rueck of Oregon State (both did a better job than Tara).

To answer your question, Yes, Bluder of Iowa, as they lost their best "Big" from last season...

Reaction Score

Oh, I’m following very closely! I was a frequent contributor to the “Coaching wins” thread started by vowel guy in 2016. I have nothing against Tara - she has been a great coach. She does have the advantage of Stanford’s great location, great weather, beautiful campus and great academics always working for her in recruiting. And she’s been at it for six more years than he has. And since they are essentially the same age(she is nine months older than he is), she has a six year advantage (make that five years, taking one off for the Olympics). So I have no problem rooting for Geno to surpass Tara on the all time wins race.

By the way, there is another thread on this subject ongoing started by maxw called “Geno closing the gap with Tara for most wins by a coach, so we are not the only people rooting for Geno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh, I’m following very closely! I was a frequent contributor to the “Coaching wins” thread started by vowel guy in 2016. I have nothing against Tara - she has been a great coach. She does have the advantage of Stanford’s great location, great weather, beautiful campus and great academics always working for her in recruiting. And she’s been at it for six more years than he has. And since they are essentially the same age(she is nine months older than he is), she has a six year advantage (make that five years, taking one off for the Olympics). So I have no problem rooting for Geno to surpass Tara on the all time wins race.

By the way, there is another thread on this subject ongoing started by maxw called “Geno closing the gap with Tara for most wins by a coach, so we are not the only people rooting for Geno.
I do. She refused to play Lobo in the Olympic. Spiteful and vindictive. Truly great coaches are not like that. They are bigger than that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom