This place is Dragging: Your Favorite (Personal) Sports Memory? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

This place is Dragging: Your Favorite (Personal) Sports Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrP

Reaction Score
Lived there for only 3 years - DePaolo.

Ages 11-13 then moved to Burlington. Prior to that Woodbury.

I grew up in Burlington, LSM class of 2000. Did you go to Mills?

MrP

Reaction Score
To be fair, we would need a show of hands for people who didn't party with Johnny Time. I hung out with Taliek a few times as well.

I think I know the specific night (summer at Hunting Lodge?) you are referring to, unless you hung out with him on more than one occasion. I missed out on some of the festivities, but from what I remember it was quite an experience.

My best sports memory is as co-captain (but 7th man) on my HS bball team. I barely played at the varsity level, and we had a big lead so the crowd actually started chanting my name to get the coach to put me in. Minutes later I was leading a fast break and executing a perfect around the back bounce pass to a streaking teammate for the layup. Crowd went nuts.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think I know the specific night (summer at Hunting Lodge?) you are referring to, unless you hung out with him on more than one occasion. I missed out on some of the festivities, but from what I remember it was quite an experience.

My best sports memory is as co-captain (but 7th man) on my HS bball team. I barely played at the varsity level, and we had a big lead so the crowd actually started chanting my name to get the coach to put me in. Minutes later I was leading a fast break and executing a perfect around the back bounce pass to a streaking teammate for the layup. Crowd went nuts.
Summer at the Lodge and Carraige House on spring weekend.

Reaction Score
Since we're sharing Al Bundy moments, too.

-Dropping 43 points on Wamogo in Rt 44 hoops in 8th grade.
-Getting a home run off a walk in Little League. Great 'weird sports' story.
-Dropping 35 points at the JC Basketball Camp All Star Game w/ JC watching
-Hitting a high double at Fenway Park off the Green Monster in a prospects selects game

And obviously six touchdowns in one game for Polk High.

Reaction Score

So you were the original Linehan?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Anyone have a favorite video game sports memory. Mine is building up a Uconn Football Dynasty on NCAA out recruiting the likes of OSU, USC, LSU etc, and scheduling at USC, and at Oklahoma on back to back weeks and beating them before I started Big East play. I stock piled talent making sure I redshirted all my recruits, I made Uconn's offense into the Oregon Duck attack (the anti UConn offense lol) getting mobile qbs, a dominant oline, speedy wrs, blocking TE's, and loaded up on LB's, and DB's.
Then you were offered the job at Maryland?
;)

Reaction Score
Then you were offered the job at Maryland?
;)

Haha, well I did get head coaching offers from USC and Oklahoma after I won a National Championship of course I decided to stay at Uconn, why go somewhere else to win a national championship when I can win them at Uconn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have a bunch, but I'll mention 3, the first 2 personal. I played left field for my office softball team. We were good in our league but always lost in the finals to a team from a bank. Finally, in the 3rd game of a best 2 of 3 final, after about 4 years of frustration, I went 3-3, drove in 2 runs and threw the potential tying run out at home in the last inning. Lots of beer that night.

The second is sort of a negative. At UConn Law we had a hoops league, and while I was a pretty good deep shooter, that was about the extent of my skill. Among the players in our league was Lloyd Hinchey. Lloyd had been a 3 year All-State at Norwich Free Academy in the early 60s, set some sort of freshmen team scoring record at Holy Cross (yes, Cousy's Holy Cross) but injured a leg and was never quite the same at that level. Somehow, I wound up guarding him for a short stretch and what stuck in my mind was standing in front of him in the deep corner, him putting on some sort of move that left me sitting in the bleachers and him driving for a lay up. I thought he'd vanished into thin air.

The last is a UConn team memory, and for me just plain college level cool. It was D.J. Hernandez's heave of the ball out of the Rent as he crossed the goal line in OT against Pitt.

My best golf score ever was 81. Breaking 90 is probably a thing of the past for me. I do shoot my age, but usually have at least 4 holes left to play at the time.

Reaction Score
I was fortunate enough to be part of some very good teams, but my personal highlight was scoring a late try to win a match at the Newport rugby tournament. It was a little more rewarding because our team was cobbled together that morning with mainly second-side players. We weren't playing best team in the tournament (we lost to them later), but it was still that club's best side.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
While on a golf trip with my buds, we played Tidewater down near Myrtle. In order to keep everybody happy (re: to accomodate the older guys), we played from the whites. I had the only sub par 18 hole round of my life with a 69. On our replay that afternoon, we played from the tips. I played even better.......and had a 76. There is a huge difference between hitting driver- 9 iron as opposed to driver- 5 iron and the landing areas on the fairways were much tighter.

My dreams of making the PGA senior tour went down the tubes that day:)

Reaction Score
Scoring the game winning goal with less than a minute left against our high school rival to win the league championship in waterpolo. (Senior year)

(Same year) Anchoring the last 100 yards in the league tournament 4X100 freestyle which was the last event and happened to determine the winner due to a 3 way points tie coming into the race. We won it all!

EDIT: These events led to many great personal memories with the ladies as well

Reaction Score
While on a golf trip with my buds, we played Tidewater down near Myrtle. In order to keep everybody happy (re: to accomodate the older guys), we played from the whites. I had the only sub par 18 hole round of my life with a 69. On our replay that afternoon, we played from the tips. I played even better..and had a 76. There is a huge difference between hitting driver- 9 iron as opposed to driver- 5 iron and the landing areas on the fairways were much tighter.

My dreams of making the PGA senior tour went down the tubes that day:)

Yeah people just don't understand the difference in what they play unless you try it. Having played Tidewater from both there is a major difference on many holes, some not as much but it adds up to a lot. But as you say it's a big difference. Some courses only have whites/blues which sometimes lends to a decent white track - nearer to 6400/6500 while others have white/blue/black and the whites would be 6000 and the blacks 7ooo plus. I can no longer have fun from black tees, maybe 67-6800 max and even then I need to be hitting off the tee lights out.

My 2 rounds of 70 at Wintonbury were the greens (6300) but like you, my best round was in a Pro-Am there from the blacks (6700?) in which I had 5 birds and a triple bogey but shot 73. It was much more pleasing knowing I had some holes in which I was hitting driver - hybrids into the par 4's and others 6-7 irons instead of wedges.

But 69 at ANY tee at Tidewater is very impressive I must say - very nice!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not sure how I left this out of my previous post but.....making the Final Four in the intramural basketball league my last year at UCONN. McMahon 4 north was filthy in 1992. My last great athletic achievement :D

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Some great stuff in this thread. Especially from the Old Timers. I love knowing these things stick with us forever.

Reaction Score
In a real chippy college baseball game my senior year....hit what I though was a walk off HR to beat Fordham and Reggie Jackson'd it for some reason. Ball hit off top of wall...got a single. Next guy up hit a triple to score me. We win. I got saved....

Scoring 47 in Boston City League hoops semis in law school to help get team into finals.

Reaction Score
Little league in south Salem NY circa 1981. The kid at bat was a little who was arguing with the umpire after he called a strike. The kid was still in the box while spouting off so I threw one nice and easy right down the middle to strike him out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky