This place is Dragging: Your Favorite (Personal) Sports Memory? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This place is Dragging: Your Favorite (Personal) Sports Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It was late at night after a few beers, we had just met earlier at a horse show and we were sharing a cot.....
That's a whole different thread.

Reaction Score
Biking all over Manhattan on a BMX bike with a fat bag of weed in my pocket. Was jumping curbs, etc. Cops pulled me over. They didn't search me.

Reaction Score
When I was playing travel ball in 2010 we played a team from New Rochelle, NY that was 92-4 on the year. They'd been honored at Yankee stadium earlier in the summer. We'd already played them in a double header earlier and they beat us 1-0 and 11-1. Well, we drove 40 minutes from Norwalk to play at some ghetto field, and beat them 3-2. I had 2 hits including driving in the go ahead run in the 5th, and made a diving catch at 1st base for the second out in the bottom of the 7th, with the tying run on third base. Next kid grounded out to short and that was that!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
being MVP at the Ray Reid Soccer Camp and having our high school team ranked in the northeast and nationally

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
OT victory over Wilton to clinch a tourney in high school. I was in goal. Still have the puck.

Reaction Score
I beat my best friend in the one-on-one free throw contest in XL at the under 12 timeout of a Georgetown game in 2009ish? Crowd was going nuts, I was facing the student section and I think I hit 8 in a row.

Reaction Score
Best: Hard to distill into a particular memory, but my sophomore year in high school I went undefeated in JV tennis (singles and doubles). I never even lost in practice.

Worst: One time in IM soccer in grad school, as a fullback I conceded an own goal header on a corner kick to tie the game. It was literally the last play of the game and turned a win into a deflating draw. I couldn't look at my teammates afterward, and my face hurt. That result effectively torpedoed our season (or seemed to, as basically nobody showed up after that, though I don't think that was entirely my fault).

Silliest: At JC's basketball camp in the late 90's I took my turn playing one-on-one against Jake Voskuhl. (I was maybe 11.) I got the ball first, dribbled back well beyond the 3 point line and launched a 30-footer, figuring he would stuff any foray towards the rim. Of course the shot missed, he got the rebound, backed me down and mercifully dunked to end it. It was a fun experience though.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I beat my best friend in the one-on-one free throw contest in XL at the under 12 timeout of a Georgetown game in 2009ish? Crowd was going nuts, I was facing the student section and I think I hit 8 in a row.

I have great memories of absolutely wrecking in the "Dress Like the Huskies" contest. One of the kids I beat turned out to be my main competition throughout middle school for the honor of "last kid off the bench" in multiple sports.

Reaction Score
Best: My HS soccer team beat John Jay H.S. (Dutchess County, NY), who was ranked #1 in the state and #4 in the country.
Worst: My good friend was taking pictures for our middle school yearbook and he came to our soccer game. The other team had a female player, who obviously was pretty good. Well, she burned me pretty bad on one play and I was spun around and fell. I can't remember the rest of the game because I knew the crap I was going to get when the game was over. Twenty plus years later and it still comes up.

Reaction Score
High School Intramural championship in an undefeated season I hit the game clinching free throws. Next year we were still undefeated but we lost in the semi's :(

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Worst for me was little league all stars versus Rocky Hill. We were getting smoked, down by 8 or 9, but then started chipping away late... But it was starting to get dark. Umps huddle and decide to play the last inning. We are down by 1, two men on base, one or two outs... And they call the game because of darkness right then and there. I BAWLED the whole way home. A few years later they put lights on the field. And many years later, turns out one of my best friends from UConn was on that Rocky Hill team. Bastid. :)

Reaction Score
Anyone have a favorite video game sports memory. Mine is building up a Uconn Football Dynasty on NCAA out recruiting the likes of OSU, USC, LSU etc, and scheduling at USC, and at Oklahoma on back to back weeks and beating them before I started Big East play. I stock piled talent making sure I redshirted all my recruits, I made Uconn's offense into the Oregon Duck attack (the anti UConn offense lol) getting mobile qbs, a dominant oline, speedy wrs, blocking TE's, and loaded up on LB's, and DB's.

Reaction Score
Getting punked by Craig Austrie is states was pretty fun, in retrospect.

Reaction Score
I was a (low level) DI JV player who got to practice with the varsity a lot - wasn't athletic enough to really be a DI guy. I was 17 as a college freshman (skipped second grade) so that may have cost me the chance to be a towel waver in uniform instead of the guy who ended up managing the varsity while playing JV.

Anyway, the head coach would sometimes drop all his freshmen down to play in a JV game if they weren't getting much burn, leaving most of us JV guys to sit and watch. There was one day that the varsity five came down and fell behind 24-6 to start the game because they didn't give a crap. Myself and two other guys check in and the game turns - I hit a couple threes to start the comeback and we end up winning in overtime, when I was 7-8 at the line (pissed about the miss) and finished with 24 or so.

It was just a JV game, so whatever. But the assistant coach later told me that the whole coaching staff was brought in after that game and the head guy screamed and yelled for two hours with such gems as "we spend all this money going out and recruiting and evaluating these guys, and my duck*ing manager is better than all of them." I still feel that rant was my favorite moment - more so than the game.

I also was MVP of a rec league tournament in Cambridge, Mass - when our team of spare parts beat the five time defending champions, led by Mike Bird (Larry's older brother). In the retirement home, I'm just going to remember it as beating Larry, but I'm not senile enough yet.

Worst was HS soccer goalie - almost had a great diving save with two seconds left up 1-0 but it went through my hands. All I had to do was punch it.

Reaction Score
I am short and unathletic, so I never had much of a chance of doing much in basketball, although I was a b¡tch to play basketball against no matter who you were: I'd push your grandmother down the stairs to win, and got a lot of rebounds for my size in our piddling little basketball league (not high school--I ran in high school and was decent, if unspectacular). One triple overtime game in the first round of the playoffs. I drew two charges (genuine charges...at least from my perspective) while hounding the other team's best player. Helped us tie the game twice in two different OTs. Despite having the best team, though, we lost that game.

Reaction Score
86 Mets game 6 World Series

David Tyre miracle catch

All 4 Uconn champs

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
1978 UConn intramural soccer. Won the championship with Crandall C with a header save during penalty kicks. Not sure how they do it now, but back then we played with what were basically lacrosse goals and goalies couldn't use their hands. So ball hits head on one side, head hits pipe on the other side, concussion ensues. I actually came to while my teammates where throwing me up in the air in celebration.

Which made up for singlehandedly losing the intramural bowling championship. Went in with a 153 average and rolled something like a 380.

That, and after being injured for two years, I did finally made an appearance with the Stamford branch baseball team in our final game of 1976, drawing a walk and allowing me to retire with a perfect 1.000 OPS. We had some decent players, including Bobby V's cousin Gary.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Personal: 313 rushing yards and 4 TDs in a game

Non-personal: Malice in the Palace (TV Gold!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom