This place is Dragging: Your Favorite (Personal) Sports Memory? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

This place is Dragging: Your Favorite (Personal) Sports Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
pnow15 said:
It was late at night after a few beers, we had just met earlier at a horse show and we were sharing a cot.....

That's hot. What was the horse's name? I bet you crazy kids wrecked that cot.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Al Bundy?
Ha, Polk High!
But no, true stat.... Ended up playing ball at USAFA

I am a proud member of NO MA'AM tho ;)
latest

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Back around 76, I was meeting a friend at Woodbury Ski and Racquet where we had a court scheduled. He canceled, so I was just banging some serves when this little girls asks if she can hit with me. So we statrt, shes about 12 years old and everything I hit at her comes back with more pace. We played 2 sets which I BARELY won. Turns out, she was Barbara Potter who was #8 in the world for a while. The girl could play!

I also beat the crap out of Bruce Jenner in tennis when he came to speak at Central. Knowing what I know now, I shouldn't have been so proud of myself, but I guess I really fracked him up:)

Reaction Score
Was 5 under after 9 holes, as a 13 handicapper. Played my normal game for the last 8 holes. Still remember all the first 10 holes. Still trying to forget the last 8. That was 37 years ago.

Reaction Score
Red Sox World Series. 1st UConn National Championship. Red Sox beating the Yankees in 7. The Whalers, in general.

Reaction Score
Last winter in between periods at a Springfield Falcons hockey game. My 9 year old daughter and I are sitting and eating nachos. They fire up the shirt cannon, blast one our way and all 225 fat pounds of me jumps up with nachos in my left hand and grabs the shirt with my right hand all while leaving terra firma. My daughter was wide eyed and amazed that not one nacho hit the ground as I handed her the shirt. She still brings it up once in a while.

Hitting three home runs my last season of Little League while my dad was the head coach was pretty cool, too.

Reaction Score
Young mau:
Throwing a 1 hitter and hitting 2 HR's in beating Wallingford LL All Stars 2-0 in '72. Batted .759 with 12 dingers regular season and had 5 more in 3 all star games.
Getting 28 and 24 points in consecutive games vs New Haven and Bridgeport Boys clubs as Meriden Boys Club advanced to Junior Pro Northeast regionals in Junior Pro tourney. Eventually played in Rupp Arena after winning those also. Averaged 21 throughout and we finished 3rd on country. Fun team, many still friends as we shared something really special.
Old mau:
17 and 23 points vs Mattatuck CC and Al Fredericks ('78) who were ranked Top 10 in the NJCAA that year. Did have to guard Al much of those games and refuse to ruin a good story with telling you how he did! By the way, a super guy and competitor, could score at will and did pretty much.
Went 6-6 against cross town rival Platt in a game ('77) to extend consecutive hit/AB streak to 10. Next game had 2 hits first 2 times up before ending 2-4 and finishing with 12 straight. Records weren't huge then but I was told it was, never much made of it no biggie. Most importantly as a team we beat New Britain that year who owned a 48 straight win streak including 2 state titles, to stop that in '77.
Real Old Mau:
Was fortunate enough to play on the 1st Meriden team allowed to play in the GHTBL in '81 also MLB strike season (Katz Sport Shop - long story they didn't want to add teams back then to their tradition but finally did that year, some of the older Meriden guys played in the league with other teams but wanted to swing the Meriden banner but were not allowed). It was special because there was no MLB baseball so the crowds were tremendous and the Meriden people traveled in hoards, made it so fun, brought signs and chanted during the playoffs. I hit and fielded well (3rd) well in the playoffs but this was all about team, 20-30 year old guys (east side, west side Meriden) who played against and with each other for years and finally the best playing against the states best. We had 3 mid to late 20 minor leaguers who could still play and were very strong, quite honestly didn't sit well with many in Hartford - it was a good ole boys league. Made it even more enjoyable.

OLDEST Mau:

My son threw a no-hitter in his 1st playoff game in LL at 12 years old and couldn't wait to bring dad the ball and hug me - NOTHING above matched this, no shot!

I thank my parents for bringing me everywhere and anywhere throughout my youth through HS. I had so many memories but only because of my truly wonderful parents. I was lucky as hell no doubt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Young mau:
Throwing a 1 hitter and hitting 2 HR's in beating Wallingford LL All Stars 2-0 in '72. Batted .759 with 12 dingers regular season and had 5 more in 3 all star games.
Getting 28 and 24 points in consecutive games vs New Haven and Bridgeport Boys clubs as Meriden Boys Club advanced to Junior Pro Northeast regionals in Junior Pro tourney. Eventually played in Rupp Arena after winning those also. Averaged 21 throughout and we finished 3rd on country. Fun team, many still friends as we shared something really special.
Old mau:
17 and 23 points vs Mattatuck CC and Al Fredericks ('78) who were ranked Top 10 in the NJCAA that year. Did have to guard Al much of those games and refuse to ruin a good story with telling you how he did! By the way, a super guy and competitor, could score at will and did pretty much.
Went 6-6 against cross town rival Platt in a game ('77) to extend consecutive hit/AB streak to 10. Next game had 2 hits first 2 times up before ending 2-4 and finishing with 12 straight. Records weren't huge then but I was told it was, never much made of it no biggie. Most importantly as a team we beat New Britain that year who owned a 48 straight win streak including 2 state titles, to stop that in '77.
Real Old Mau:
Was fortunate enough to play on the 1st Meriden team allowed to play in the GHTBL in '81 also MLB strike season (Katz Sport Shop - long story they didn't want to add teams back then to their tradition but finally did that year, some of the older Meriden guys played in the league with other teams but wanted to swing the Meriden banner but were not allowed). It was special because there was no MLB baseball so the crowds were tremendous and the Meriden people traveled in hoards, made it so fun, brought signs and chanted during the playoffs. I hit and fielded well (3rd) well in the playoffs but this was all about team, 20-30 year old guys (east side, west side Meriden) who played against and with each other for years and finally the best playing against the states best. We had 3 mid to late 20 minor leaguers who could still play and were very strong, quite honestly didn't sit well with many in Hartford - it was a good ole boys league. Made it even more enjoyable.

OLDEST Mau:

My son threw a no-hitter in his 1st playoff game in LL at 12 years old and couldn't wait to bring dad the ball and hug me - NOTHING above matched this, no shot!

I thank my parents for bringing me everywhere and anywhere throughout my youth through HS. I had so many memories but only because of my truly wonderful parents. I was lucky as hell no doubt.

Nothing from the golf course? That surprised me. What's your low round? Low 9?

Reaction Score
Nothing from the golf course? That surprised me. What's your low round? Low 9?

Didn't play golf until after I stopped playing the twilight leagues around 30. Well not as much that is.

Best is 70 about 12 times. Many of these would go under "worst" personal because I gagged coming down the stretch knowing I could break 70 on a few of those. The worst - 3 years ago at Wintonbury par 70 I was 3 under with 2 to play. Doubled the par 3 17th and bogeyed the 18th from 130 in.......devastated - drank hard after LOL. Still trying Deep. Low 9 was 30 at Edgewood which I followed up with a solid 41 (lol) on the back. Birdied the first 4 holes out of the gate and still couldn't shoot 69.

Now you know why no golf. What's yours? I know you've had some good 9 holes in the leagues.

Reaction Score
Didn't play golf until after I stopped playing the twilight leagues around 30. Well not as much that is.

Best is 70 about 12 times. Many of these would go under "worst" personal because I gagged coming down the stretch knowing I could break 70 on a few of those. The worst - 3 years ago at Wintonbury par 70 I was 3 under with 2 to play. Doubled the par 3 17th and bogeyed the 18th from 130 in..devastated - drank hard after LOL. Still trying Deep. Low 9 was 30 at Edgewood which I followed up with a solid 41 (lol) on the back. Birdied the first 4 holes out of the gate and still couldn't shoot 69.

Now you know why no golf. What's yours? I know you've had some good 9 holes in the leagues.

I never broke 80. Shot 80 on the button 3 times and one time I needed a bogey on 18 and a left a 6-7 ft putt SHORT. Best 9 hole score was 38. I rolled in a big bender birdie on 9 from about 45 ft away. It hit the back of the cup, popped about 2 ft straight up in the air, then plunked in.

Reaction Score

Best is 70 about 12 times. Many of these would go under "worst" personal because I gagged coming down the stretch knowing I could break 70 on a few of those. The worst - 3 years ago at Wintonbury par 70 I was 3 under with 2 to play. Doubled the par 3 17th and bogeyed the 18th from 130 in..devastated - drank hard after LOL. Still trying Deep. Low 9 was 30 at Edgewood which I followed up with a solid 41 (lol) on the back. Birdied the first 4 holes out of the gate and still couldn't shoot 69.

Golf opens up a different can of worms for me. 4 handicap that has never shot even par or better. So far in my head at this point that I just break down. Was -4 through 6 last year in my club's annual stroke play tournament. Finished the front 9 at even par at shot 78 on the day. Nightmare.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. Going to the FF in Tampa/St. Pete in 1999 for the Saturday games and then watching UConn win it from home on Monday.
2. Walking Augusta National for a practice round in 2002
3. Watching the Sox win the world series while deployed onboard CV-67 John F. Kennedy in 2004.
4. Houston/Louisville FF game. Breathtaking athleticism.
5. Daytona 500 in 2001. That was the race when Dale Earnhardt died.

Bonus: Not a sporting event, but a thrill. Two flights in an F/A-18 Hornet when I was with the Blue Angels. One was a flight over the Colorado river at the California/Arizona border. The other was while the planes were practicing in formation. No way to explain four planes separated by 2-3 feet while flying over 350mph.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My personal beer league softball story is from when I was in the Navy.

I normally played 1st base but moved to the outfield for a game. Fly ball to RC field, me coming in, 2nd baseman running out. His forehead hit my face. Rumor has it we collided right as I caught the ball. He collapsed on the spot, knocked out with a broken nose and two broke ribs. Rumor continues that I took a step back, went to throw the ball and collapsed. I woke up in the hospital with my front tooth dangling. I don't have any memory of the catch, the fall or the ride to the hospital.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Highs: Scoring 2 touchdowns and then kicking a 32 yd field as time expired to beat Mt. Diablo HS 21-20 in my last varsity game. (We were 0-10 and on a 19 game losing streak)

Winning the league championship in the 300 LH and 4x400. Qualifying for the California state meet in the 4x400 relay.

Pinning a layup attempt by future Stanford and NBA (Magic, Nuggets) player, Todd Lichti, against the backboard during a game. Especially impressive as I'm just slightly taller than an Oompa loompa (5'7) Sadly, we lost the game and missed the playoffs.

Lows: hearing , 2 minutes after qualifying for the state meet in the 4x400 that we were disqualified because our 1st leg had run out of his lane. (Not me, I was 2nd)

Getting absolutely embarrassed by Gary Payton in a game my senior year. We lost 99-49 and he may have had 60 of them.

Reaction Score
In a 6th grade rec league basketball game I went off for 25 points including a buzzer beating "step-back" jump shot to win

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Scoring what should have been the winning bucket in a HS game, on an alley oop off an inbounds pass. Pass actually hit the rim and I tapped it in. Ref disallowed it and called me for offensive interference. I said how can I interfere with a pass from out of bounds? He said once t touched the rim, I had to catch it, come down with it and go back up with it. I argued. I got T'd up. But n my heart, I know we won that game.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Getting tossed from a Uconn intramural basketball game circa 2001. Dude tried to trip me after I had undercut him on his layup opportunity a quarter earlier. No easy buckets in my house bro.

Getting knocked stupid returning the open kickoff Thanksgiving day 1996 by Tarrel Freeney. Lookin out my ear hole got up and told him he hit like a girl.

Im kind of a when I play sports.

Reaction Score
In high school our softball team (kaynor tech in waterbury) was pretty pathetic always bad losing seasons. My junior year we go into a game that was all hyped up because the opposing pitcher had thrown something like 7 no hitters in a row and was going for some type of State record.
There were a few TV and radio news guys there to cover the game which was unheard off for these type of teams.
I bat lead-off to start the game and promptly hit a clean single.....boom record over. We still got our butts kicked but I heard them mention my name on the radio the next morning stating I broke the record and got 2 of our 3 hits.

We also somehow finished the year with our first winning record and playoff appearance ever.

Reaction Score
Getting tossed from a Uconn intramural basketball game circa 2001. Dude tried to trip me after I had undercut him on his layup opportunity a quarter earlier. No easy buckets in my house bro.

Getting knocked stupid returning the open kickoff Thanksgiving day 1996 by Tarrel Freeney. Lookin out my ear hole got up and told him he hit like a girl.

Im kind of a when I play sports.

You undercut him and he only tripped you? LOL

Love that you admit you're a when you play - that's priceless!;)

Reaction Score
Golf opens up a different can of worms for me. 4 handicap that has never shot even par or better. So far in my head at this point that I just break down. Was -4 through 6 last year in my club's annual stroke play tournament. Finished the front 9 at even par at shot 78 on the day. Nightmare.
When I could play, I almost always went to the tips, hence never broke par for 18. Have been under for 9 on a few different courses in leagues. That's why we keep playing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I never broke 80. Shot 80 on the button 3 times and one time I needed a bogey on 18 and a left a 6-7 ft putt SHORT. Best 9 hole score was 38. I rolled in a big bender birdie on 9 from about 45 ft away. It hit the back of the cup, popped about 2 ft straight up in the air, then plunked in.

If it makes you feel any better, my best 9 was a 39 and I've never broken 90 (although hit that number twice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom