This Isn't Working | Page 8 | The Boneyard

This Isn't Working

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Zion isn't the answer, but there is no point changing horses for the next two games. Both will be out of hand early enough to let whatever healthy person is available take snaps. It's on Mora to pick the best person to start the Frenso State game, if it's not Zion, so they can get meaningful action before the key 3 game stretch. The season is now 3 games long. FIU, Ball State, and UMass. Until yesterday all three were ranked lower than us. Win those games. If the QB (whomever it is) can't perform against those three squads then there is no point moving forward with them as potential starters.

I have no idea how we can play better pass defense. it is literally the worst we've seen, and we've seen some bad pass defense the last few years. Playing zone doesn't mean just standing in your area. It means covering the guy in your area. No fault for losing contact after the QB has 10 seconds in the pocket, but that was rare. I'll happily take those. We've clearly improved in every other area and should be able to run over our lesser opponents and give Army a taste of their own medicine.

There is a lot to still look forward to this season, just shut your eyes for the next three weeks.
Does anyone remember 2018 and 2019 defensively? Those guys weren't within 10 yards of receivers consistently

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When you lose your starting QB for the season so early and you have a kid who a year ago was playing HS football, unless he is a top 20 recruit, this is pretty much what you can expect. However, there may be a point when you need to shake some things up. I feel HCJM has enough experience to know when it is that time. QB isn't the only issue facing this team. It's early, the team is acting like they are engaged. You can't say that about the last few years - for sure.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the passing game is explosive enough. Turner isn’t a big time thrower or runner. He seems to be a a player who can Process quickly and deliver and make decent decisions. That require standouts at WR. They gotta get people who can seperate 1-on-1. His yards per attempt has to be lien 3 yards this game.

I like no interceptions, fumbles they can work on ball security.

Marion is explosive. But he is out for year. I liked Ross underneath. They just don’t have the depth there. Turner is ok. They need guys who can go vertical.

Also, can they move Rosa to safety? They sorely need his athleticism at that position.

Reaction Score
I admit that based on the last few years I figured if we beat a P5 team this year Syracuse would be the one. I didn‘t really think we would win but I did think it would be closer. They are much better than I expected. But I truly think that Zion is not anywhere near ready to play at this level. He basically panicked on the fumble. He takes too long to make decisions and the vaunted escapability seems completely lacking. I’m not totally convinced that he will ever play at this level. I’m not seeing it. And I don’t think playing him helps. I get he is the only healthy b
guy we have, but that is a different matter.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don’t think the passing game is explosive enough. Turner isn’t a big time thrower or runner. He seems to be a a player who can Process quickly and deliver and make decent decisions. That require standouts at WR. They gotta get people who can seperate 1-on-1. His yards per attempt has to be lien 3 yards this game.

Marion is explosive. But he is out for year. I liked Ross underneath. They just don’t have the depth there. Turner is ok. They need guys who can go vertical.

Also, can they move Rosa to safety? They sorely need his athleticism at that position.
Now that Brewton is done for the year, moving Rosa to safety leaves you with 3 RB

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
it is going to take time. We all need to relax.

I will say you have to stretch the field because playing as they did with Syracuse with 11 man within ten years of the line of scrimmage. You can't run the ball when they are doing that.

Dino Babers throwing a bomb when he did late in the game was bush league and I hope Karma comes back and bites him and his team in the butt

Reaction Score
it is going to take time. We all need to relax.

I will say you have to stretch the field because playing as they did with Syracuse with 11 man within ten years of the line of scrimmage. You can't run the ball when they are doing that.

Dino Babers throwing a bomb when he did late in the game was bush league and I hope Karma comes back and bites him and his team in the butt
Purdue next week

Reaction Score

This Isn't Working​

Omg, you are breaking up with us?!
1662944239459.png

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Zion isn't the answer, but there is no point changing horses for the next two games. Both will be out of hand early enough to let whatever healthy person is available take snaps. It's on Mora to pick the best person to start the Frenso State game, if it's not Zion, so they can get meaningful action before the key 3 game stretch. The season is now 3 games long. FIU, Ball State, and UMass. Until yesterday all three were ranked lower than us. Win those games. If the QB (whomever it is) can't perform against those three squads then there is no point moving forward with them as potential starters.

I have no idea how we can play better pass defense. it is literally the worst we've seen, and we've seen some bad pass defense the last few years. Playing zone doesn't mean just standing in your area. It means covering the guy in your area. No fault for losing contact after the QB has 10 seconds in the pocket, but that was rare. I'll happily take those. We've clearly improved in every other area and should be able to run over our lesser opponents and give Army a taste of their own medicine.

There is a lot to still look forward to this season, just shut your eyes for the next three weeks.
How can you say that? He has shown some good things and you can't blame him for this game. This is on the play calling. Yes they might not trust the wide receivers but you have to do something different as those in the box killed UConn after that long drive early on.

Fresno St is not great this year, but going on the road next two games is going to be tough especially the Big House next week Yikes

Reaction Score
How can you say that? He has shown some good things and you can't blame him for this game. This is on the play calling. Yes they might not trust the wide receivers but you have to do something different as those in the box killed UConn after that long drive early on.

Fresno St is not great this year, but going on the road next two games is going to be tough especially the Big House next week Yikes
I don’t see a lick of improvement over the first game. See is not a natural play maker with great field vision and pocket feel. His low release is no good. He’s a good athlete with a decent arm and ok wheels. He isn’t an FBS level QB today, and I doubt he can be. The SU QB destroyed us because he found windows and made great throws, and knew when to move in the pocket. I don’t know if Millen is any better, but we have to solve this. We can’t continue to play for next year indefinitely.

Reaction Score
Team loses two top WR within one half of football. Team loses starting QB within one half of football. Fans: Why aren't we more explosive?

Damn!
Why aren't we better? these coaches are just as awful as the last ones!!! Why can't the coaches push through these injuries and just stop their offense score when we have the ball?!??!1111!

@MilliniumPrince that isn't targeted at you.

----

I am so close to going through the roster, guessing the depth chart and listing every damn injury and their times of return and the rest. it is something I don't have time for but it is so hard to remind people of all the things that are going on.

QB1 is out for most of the season if not all. QB2 is a true freshman who needs as many reads as possible to figure out timings and doesn't have the pleasure of marinating in game film for a year. QB3-4. Lets go with Millen. Injured, shoulder. If I write this thing up it'll be coded as "nursing" with the injury listed in the next line below his name. Tyler P. I've seen people listed his issues as knee related. If I were to write this up it would be detailed. I would code him up as something like "1w to 6w" until something more updated is provided in media. If new news came through he could be "available" or "day to day". We honestly don't know if he's available in case Turner and Millen go down. could be we're throwing in a HS QB before him at some other position. We just don't know.

Wishes and gut thinking from message board veterans don't change injury statuses. I'm sure all message boards are just that stupid but that's reality. Bone and ligaments aren't repaired on The Boneyard. Mora doesn't have it out for him. Its that given the options Turner is viewed as the best option.

Reaction Score
Why aren't we better? these coaches are just as awful as the last ones!!! Why can't the coaches push through these injuries and just stop their offense score when we have the ball?!??!1111!

@MilliniumPrince that isn't targeted at you.

----

I am so close to going through the roster, guessing the depth chart and listing every damn injury and their times of return and the rest. it is something I don't have time for but it is so hard to remind people of all the things that are going on.

QB1 is out for most of the season if not all. QB2 is a true freshman who needs as many reads as possible to figure out timings and doesn't have the pleasure of marinating in game film for a year. QB3-4. Lets go with Millen. Injured, shoulder. If I write this thing up it'll be coded as "nursing" with the injury listed in the next line below his name. Tyler P. I've seen people listed his issues as knee related. If I were to write this up it would be detailed. I would code him up as something like "1w to 6w" until something more updated is provided in media. If new news came through he could be "available" or "day to day". We honestly don't know if he's available in case Turner and Millen go down. could be we're throwing in a HS QB before him at some other position. We just don't know.

Wishes and gut thinking from message board veterans don't change injury statuses. I'm sure all message boards are just that stupid but that's reality. Bone and ligaments aren't repaired on The Boneyard. Mora doesn't have it out for him. Its that given the options Turner is viewed as the best option.
As Lou Saban says depth separates teams because injuries are going to happen in football. Granted, at wide receiver we had more than our share. We are just not getting production enough out of the transfers and we need to fix the evaluation process for them before the next portal cycle.

Reaction Score
If anybody else is crazier than me what I'd consider is two sides of a paper at most. Position by position.

Depth Chart rank order (based on opinion).
<shirt number> <positon and rank> <name> <class/yr> <Yr Eligible> <Injury Availability Status/Time>
<INDENT> (MO/YR) <Injury #1> (MO/YR) <Injury #2> Newest to oldest. Include HS injuries if relevant, noteworthy.

Asterisk all conditions holding player out currently. No injury, no asterisk. Old injuries are retained in the report.

6 QB1 Ta'Quan Roberson So-RS 3 10w-SC
<INDENT> (8/22) ACL Tear*
11 QB2 Turner, Zion Fr 4 Healthy
10 QB3 Millen, Cale So-RS 3 Nursing
<INDENT> (10/19) R. Shoulder Tear
12 QB4 Phommachanh, Tyler So. 3 1w-6w
<INDENT> (10/21) L. ACL Tear*

In the above, yeah I'm using codes, i'm saying 10 weeks to Spring Camp. Only because I thought I saw something that he could come back long but maybe I read that wrong. Still playing with the idea. Maybe use percentages instead... 100% for Zion then lay down a 85% for Millen. I can't find more info on Millen, I assume there's a re-aggravation somewhere? Shouldn't he beyond that injury by now? Also thought Tyler P. re-aggravated his issue at some point. Can't/couldn't find it.

A real document production would have a lot more formatting.

Now if it were me, I'd put this together in LaTeX, stylize it as much as possible, and export as PDF. Others may have other talents if they want to run with the above. The idea would be a weekly thing.

This probably isn't worth my time, but man I'd love to just throw this at people.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I admit that based on the last few years I figured if we beat a P5 team this year Syracuse would be the one. I didn‘t really think we would win but I did think it would be closer. They are much better than I expected. But I truly think that Zion is not anywhere near ready to play at this level. He basically panicked on the fumble. He takes too long to make decisions and the vaunted escapability seems completely lacking. I’m not totally convinced that he will ever play at this level. I’m not seeing it. And I don’t think playing him helps. I get he is the only healthy b
guy we have, but that is a different matter.

Boneyard 101.

Zion processes quickly and Zion takes too long to make decisions.

Reaction Score
As Lou Saban says depth separates teams because injuries are going to happen in football. Granted, at wide receiver we had more than our share. We are just not getting production enough out of the transfers and we need to fix the evaluation process for them before the next portal cycle.
I prefer to get my coaching aphorisms from Vince Madden.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember 2018 and 2019 defensively? Those guys weren't within 10 yards of receivers consistently
And tackling attempts were beyond horrible. Where we are today, we have a much improved and competitive front 7. The secondary is a real weak spot. Immediately after getting a sack and setting up 3rd and 15 we give up a 17 yard completion where the DB is there but was nowhere near able to make a play. Going forward it's going to take a combination of developed guys like Mitchell and Swenson and portal guys like Bembry and Bouyer-Randle, in the secondary like what has happened in our front 7.

The play is trending in the right direction but this is a squad that lost Holy Cross and UMass last year and came within a whisker of losing to Yale as well. We got thumped Saturday, but were competitive physically on a lot of plays. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but both of our lines held their own at times. This is a far cry from those futile defenses we had that set NCAA records for the wrong reasons.

The offensive play calling seemed like they turtled but I guess it's understandable given our issues at the skill spots outside of RB.

Reaction Score
If anybody else is crazier than me what I'd consider is two sides of a paper at most. Position by position.

Depth Chart rank order (based on opinion).
<shirt number> <positon and rank> <name> <class/yr> <Yr Eligible> <Injury Availability Status/Time>
<INDENT> (MO/YR) <Injury #1> (MO/YR) <Injury #2> Newest to oldest. Include HS injuries if relevant, noteworthy.

Asterisk all conditions holding player out currently. No injury, no asterisk. Old injuries are retained in the report.

6 QB1 Ta'Quan Roberson So-RS 3 10w-SC
<INDENT> (8/22) ACL Tear*
11 QB2 Turner, Zion Fr 4 Healthy
10 QB3 Millen, Cale So-RS 3 Nursing
<INDENT> (10/19) R. Shoulder Tear
12 QB4 Phommachanh, Tyler So. 3 1w-6w
<INDENT> (10/21) L. ACL Tear*

Added to your list
1 Marion - collarbone
7 Ross - foot injury
66 Wayburn - injury
77 Big Ben - injury
82 Heatherman - ACL injury
28 Brewton - elbow or arm injury
4 Drayton - arrested
Houston - dinged up shoulder (?)

Reaction Score
Injuries or not, receiver incompetency's or not, all the excuses in the world don't make up for not attempting (and practicing) some downfield throws down 30 in the second half. Who cares if he throws an INT or throws it 30 yards into the empty student section. maybe it would even help him loosen him up on the shorter throws instead of trying to steer the football like he does at times. In golf sometimes you have to get lucky and make a 30 ft bomb to start knocking in the 5 footers. Might as well have Millen in and run the navy option offense rest of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom