This Isn't Working | Page 10 | The Boneyard

This Isn't Working

Reaction Score
Agree that UCONN is a tough job. It is like the NFL today where one could remake a roster through the portal. However getting good transfers to come to UConn over other places is yet another challenge. It does make better hs recruits available since others are shopping the portal as well. Think ZT.

Reaction Score
UCONN is a brand. Jim Mora is an excellent coach. UCONN is not the NFL, it is not Alabama, it is not Pittsburgh, it is not Marshall, it is not Northern Illinois, it is not freaking Coastal Carolina. Every program has challenges. We've gone over the pros and cons of being indie vs a member of a conference. Whether we get guys moving up from lower level programs or moving down from P5, the coaches have to go out and get guys who can play.

do it jewish GIF

Reaction Score
You act like turning around a NFL team, which is a totally different kettle of fish from college football, or UCLA, which is a former national power, the flagship of the largest state in the second largest metropolitan area in the country, which is a totally different task than UConn.

I'm not knocking Mora -- it's just that thinking that getting to a winning record at UCLA is comparable to getting to a winning record here is not a good comparison.
Randy Edsall cannot be the ONLY guy to ever be able to have success here. That is one fact I will never believe.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall cannot be the ONLY guy to ever be able to have success here. That is one fact I will never believe.
Perhaps it will take more than three games for someone to take this program from the flaming turd it has been (since the bowl game loss to Marshall) to something that resembles a legitimate FBS program.

Reaction Score
Even with the portal, rebuilding this program from where it was (Low FCS talent) is nothing like the NFL.

Oh my god guys. Stop.

Reaction Score
Perhaps it will take more than three games for someone to take this program from the flaming turd it has been (since the bowl game loss to Marshall) to something that resembles a legitimate FBS program.
This. Even if we end the year 2-10, it's not showing that Mora can't do the job. Just that you will have to give him time. (It would be saying that many on here who thought that changing coaches would makes us tons better immediately because our biggest problew was the x's and the o's and not the jimmies and the joes were dead wrong, but that has nothing to do with Mora.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree. But it’s going to be a minute for Mora.

This fanbase is interpreting the Syracuse loss very poorly. They lost to a very good team on Sat night.
Time will tell, but I think that’s the best Syracuse team I’ve seen since the 90’s. Big, strong and talented all over the field. I like their brand of football too. They are balanced yet very fun to watch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With all due respect....At this point you sound like you know nothing about football, Starting QB (OUT), Backup QB (OUT), 1ST string WR (OUT), 2ND string WR (OUT), 3RD string WR (OUT ), 2ND string RB (OUT). This from a team that won 4 games in the last 3 years and was never competitive in most games. And you expected what with the team he inherited and all of the injuries and a very difficult schedule to start the season. At this point you sound like a broken record. Thanks for your interest in UConn sports.

To be fair, none of those guys play defense. I can realistically complain that the group on the field should have scored more than 14 pt, 20-24 was certainly reachable with a small improvement in output. There is no combination of players and plays that can be counted on for 40 pts.

We lose that game 28-14 or 35-24, no one is complaining.

We could have run on Cuse all day if we could pass enough to keep the chains moving. The passing game bar is already low and we are failing to meet even those low expectations. Passing for 105 yards where 100 are after the catch is piss poor at any level regardless of who is playing.

Reaction Score
On a board full of bad takes, this post still manages to stand out. Congrats.
I'll judge your comment above in four years when I judge your previous post noted below:

"Tyler Phommachanh will never take another meaningful snap at QB for us. Pin this post and come back in four years. It'll age like wine. Roberson and Zion have rendered him redundant."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Turner went 14 for 17 yesterday. One would think it’s hard to make the case that his accuracy was the dominant problem.
Dont want to read the whole thread now, but Turner is a true freshman, probably slated to be at least 3rd string this year if Pommechan were healthy. I have no clue what some people think he should be, especially when right off the bat he is facing our toughest competition and with several good receivers missing. He would still nead time to thiw. He was reasonable vs USU, the D had a bad 10 minute stretch and any chance he had to lead a comeback was destroyed by a terrible.interference call. He took care of business vs. Central. SU ate up our D last time I looked. The main disappointment for me is his seeming inability to use his feet to avoid a single rusher.

Reaction Score
I'll judge your comment above in four years when I judge your previous post noted below:

"Tyler Phommachanh will never take another meaningful snap at QB for us. Pin this post and come back in four years. It'll age like wine. Roberson and Zion have rendered him redundant."
Please do. That's exactly what I stated in my post.

Reaction Score
To be fair, none of those guys play defense. I can realistically complain that the group on the field should have scored more than 14 pt, 20-24 was certainly reachable with a small improvement in output. There is no combination of players and plays that can be counted on for 40 pts.

We lose that game 28-14 or 35-24, no one is complaining.

We could have run on Cuse all day if we could pass enough to keep the chains moving. The passing game bar is already low and we are failing to meet even those low expectations. Passing for 105 yards where 100 are after the catch is piss poor at any level regardless of who is playing.

You can complain like that. And we can laugh at you and call you Subbadumb.

Reaction Score
The main disappointment for me is his seeming inability to use his feet to avoid a single rusher.
Syracuse had 2 sacks in the game, so Zion was doing something right. I would agree that UConn needs to throw the ball downfield more, but with the WRs hurt and it appears the backup QBs are not 100%, I think the offensive game plan is conservative and they don't want Zion to be running around. Look at his HS tapes. He shows really good escapability and the ability to throw on the run and he was playing agains top competition in Florida.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
UCONN is a brand. Jim Mora is an excellent coach. UCONN is not the NFL, it is not Alabama, it is not Pittsburgh, it is not Marshall, it is not Northern Illinois, it is not freaking Coastal Carolina. Every program has challenges. We've gone over the pros and cons of being indie vs a member of a conference. Whether we get guys moving up from lower level programs or moving down from P5, the coaches have to go out and get guys who can play.

do it jewish GIF
Exactly well said

Reaction Score
Syracuse had 2 sacks in the game, so Zion was doing something right. I would agree that UConn needs to throw the ball downfield more, but with the WRs hurt and it appears the backup QBs are not 100%, I think the offensive game plan is conservative and they don't want Zion to be running around. Look at his HS tapes. He shows really good escapability and the ability to throw on the run and he was playing agains top competition in Florida.

Zion was playing on a high school team that was superior to the teams he was facing. Of course, he looked good in high school. It's not relevant.

Reaction Score
The play calling is pathetically conservative and tells the team that the coaches don’t have confidence in the QB, the line or the receivers they do have. Players can’t grow with training wheels on. Put Zion under pressure to perform. If he’s truly talented, he will get better. Throwing bubble screens all day doesn’t do crap.

Reaction Score
Why are you using logic and reason ????? I am NOT down on the program. If they had a top 10 class of 25 players, the turnaround would be quick. But remember this team was losing by 30 to 40 points to sub 500 lower level teams.

Reaction Score
Zion was playing on a high school team that was superior to the teams he was facing. Of course, he looked good in high school. It's not relevant.
What are you talking about? Zion's team defeated St. Frances Academy of Baltimore 38-23 and St. Frances had more talent than St. Thomas Aquinas and ended up ranked #4 by USA Today last year. And, the teams they played in Florida were talented teams with many FBS recruits.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This. Even if we end the year 2-10, it's not showing that Mora can't do the job. Just that you will have to give him time. (It would be saying that many on here who thought that changing coaches would makes us tons better immediately because our biggest problew was the x's and the o's and not the jimmies and the joes were dead wrong, but that has nothing to do with Mora.)
I guess, but since the prior coach was the guy who is picking the Jimmy’s and Joe’s…maybe both things are true?

DCT

Reaction Score
I've seen zero progress in our program so far with Mora. I take that back we have gained in PR... but with actual football play none. Especially after seeing CCSU lose to Scared Heart and Utah State absolutely destroyed by an FCS team. Mora outside of PR has shown absolutely nothing any anyone who says otherwise is looking at things through rose-colored glasses. The QB position is just as crappy as under HCRE 2.0 .... the defense is just as inept ... the OC play calling is the same .. the defense looks no different vs. a competent team... the results are the same.
Give it a break, JM hasn't had a chance to recruit players from their freshman/sophomore high school seasons. When he was able to start recruiting half the high school seniors had already committed else where. Losing our #1 qb in the first game was a blow that is harder to overcome without some experienced Qbs on the roster. The coaches see all of the players every week in practice. Maybe they don't think the other QBs can do any better so throwing Zion into the fire gets him experience faster. I also think it is very likely zion will be hurt in the next 2 games. So we will be seeing a different QB soon.

Reaction Score

do it jewish GIF
That's fanboy talk.

Sears was a brand -- the Amazon of its day. So were Pontiac and Oldsmobile. And Packard, Plymouth, and Mercury, etc. UConn may be a brand in basketball, but in football? Not anyplace west of the Hudson River. Not in any talent-rich part of the country.

Given UConn's football history, reputation, and geography, the coaching staff is going to have a difficult time attracting guys who can play at a higher level. Kids like that crave exposure, and they have options.

Reaction Score
I guess, but since the prior coach was the guy who is picking the Jimmy’s and Joe’s…maybe both things are true
Edsall failed in his second stint here. Completely. The roster is largely his players, and not Mora’s. My point is many here thought the players were much better than their performance, and the coaching staff was holding them back. So far, we’re not seeing that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom