This Isn't Working | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This Isn't Working

Reaction Score
Our run defense is much improved. Our pass rush seems to be getting better. Our running game is strong.

Our secondary is a major liability. We have no passing game beyond 10 yards.

That being said, we are light years better than last year. Baby steps suck but that’s what it’s gonna take to be respectable.
I thought jelani Stafford took some steps forward tonight

Reaction Score
I doubt they would beat Michigan, but you are correct they have a chance to be very good this year. Cuse fans should be excited, they're a talented team.
Michigan is way overrated, and Cuse is a very very good team, despite recent injuries to two of their best players.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Tonight was tough, and the drive back to Boston was miserable. However, we are still on pace for redemption. Moras been our coach for 3 games after missing a year due to Covid, randy 2.0, disco, and PP. PLUS getting shut out of the ACC, suffering through the AAC, and now being independent.

It is a miracle we are as good as we are based on those factors. This season is going to be tough, but better than last season. I expect us to be a .500 team next year.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea - THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD ONCE OR TWICE A GAME!

Zion was 14 for 17 for 97 yards, take away the bubble screen to A. Turner that went for 56 and you have 13 completions for a total of 41 yards, besides embarrassing it's impossible to beat a legit opponent that way. I thought once the game was in hand against Central last week we should have worked on going downfield a little more just for future use.

Reaction Score
2.5 was the over/under on wins this year from Vegas, they usually know what they are doing. The path to the over was always CCSU, UMass, @FIU. No change from what I expected going into the season. The only disappointment was the ease with which Syracuse was able to win. I had expected UConn to keep it close for one, one and a half quarters before Syracuse pulled away and then took their foot off the gas in the 4th. Instead the defense couldn't stop Syracuse and the Orange scored on every drive until the 4th quarter. That's brutal. The offensive struggles are what we saw after the QB change against Utah State... I would've been surprised had UConn been able to score enough with the Syracuse offense, the path to competitiveness comes from developing some other threat beyond Carter on offense and being more credible on defense.

Reaction Score
Michigan will smoke us but I get a sneaky suspicion we will play NC State close. Either way we need to get to 2-4 to keep a bowl game in place.
You are dreaming. NC State is 2nd or 3rd best team in ACC, Syracuse was picked last. Even with the good start v. Louisville they are a 4 to 8 win team.

Reaction Score
We were physically over matched. It was clear from about the first series. Syracuse needs to make a ton of mistakes for us to have even a chance. They didn’t. They are a very good football team. All that said, Turner is not a D1 quarterback. He is totally overmatched, has zero feel for the game, and it is pretty clear the coaches have zero confidence in him despite all the happy talk. 3rd and 15 and you call a swing pass to a running back, it means you don’t think your quarterback can throw the football down the field. And you simply cannot win in the modern game with a guy who throws for under 100 yards. And that was padded with a long run after a short catch for the td. It’s either they don’t believe in him or th OC should take a leave of absence too. His play calling was painfully predictable. And you just have to throw the football down the field at least a couple of times. Even if you just toss it into the cheap seats. Just awful performance.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea - THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD ONCE OR TWICE A GAME!

Zion was 14 for 17 for 97 yards, take away the bubble screen to A. Turner that went for 56 and you have 13 completions for a total of 41 yards, besides embarrassing it's impossible to beat a legit opponent that way. I thought once the game was in hand against Central last week we should have worked on going downfield a little more just for future use.
There's nobody for him to throw to down the field. It's probably the worst receiving core in the country. If he's throwing down the field to covered guys in that game he's going to have a few interceptions.

I agree it's impossible to beat legit opponents with dink and dunk, the reality is the team is nowhere near in position to beat legit opponents because of it's deficiencies.

Reaction Score
Mora has begun to talk more about Millen getting better and looking more like the 4* QB he was coming out high school. I think he will play him when he’s healthy. For now, he’s giving Zion his chance, but I can’t see him continuing on this path much longer. Zion may be in physical danger against Michigan. At least Millen can run for his life.

Reaction Score
What’s frustrating is you have a decent crowd actually show up tonight and we have to watch a 34 point gashing. Cuse may be good this year after a horrid year last year but let’s not make them out to be a good SEC or B1G team. They are what they are.

Now it’s one thing to sit there and watch us lose by 34 but when you bring very little pressure on the QB it’s infuriating. When your quarterback doesn’t throw a single ball more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage it’s infuriating.

Early In the fourth quarter on 3rd Down we had a WR deep down the side line one on one and just dumped it off on yet another screen that was short leading to another punt and I just had to leave. What’s the point.

Take a god damn chance somewhere on the field while your getting your teeth kicked in.

Reaction Score
There's nobody for him to throw to down the field. It's probably the worst receiving core in the country. If he's throwing down the field to covered guys in that game he's going to have a few interceptions.

I agree it's impossible to beat legit opponents with dink and dunk, the reality is the team is nowhere near in position to beat legit opponents because of it's deficiencies.
I like to preface that yes, our receiving corp is bad, but it’s due to injury. We have reason for hope in that department next season.

Reaction Score

Who cares. Throw it anyway. Throw it toward the sideline where it will either be caught or out of bounds. Force their defense to know every two or three series you are at least going to take a look.
Or you don’t and you have 11 defenders near the line of scrimmage at all times

Reaction Score
You haven't heard? This Cuse team is better than Michigan.
Right, the same Michigan that could only muster 20 on Rutgirls last season and almost lost the game and the same Michigan that was blown out by Georgia. Michigan is a juggernaut behemoth.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to calm down. As much as I hate to admit it, Syracuse is a really good team and I think we will find that out as the season progresses. They pretty easily beat Louisville and allowed Louisville to score only 7 points and Louisville just beat UCF at UCF yesterday.

As for Turner, he is a true freshman and they are bringing him along slowly to develop him. It doesn't help that UConn's WRs have been decimated with Ross and Marion out with injury, Drayton suspended and Fitzgerald has been slowly coming back from injury. I really don't think UConn has field stretching WRs right now. Does anyone remember how bad a true freshman Tim Boyle looked and he has played in the NFL.

Finally, this team is dramatically improved from last year. Tackling is much better, the OL looks better, RBs look better. That said, UConn needs to continue to improve to compete with good P5 teams.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to calm down. As much as I hate to admit it, Syracuse is a really good team and I think we will find that out as the season progresses. They pretty easily beat Louisville and allowed Louisville to score only 7 points and Louisville just beat UCF at UCF yesterday.

As for Turner, he is a true freshman and they are bringing him along slowly to develop him. It doesn't help that UConn's WRs have been decimated with Ross and Marion out with injury, Drayton suspended and Fitzgerald has been slowly coming back from injury. I really don't think UConn has field stretching WRs right now. Does anyone remember how bad a true freshman Tim Boyle looked and he has played in the NFL.

Finally, this team is dramatically improved from last year. Tackling is much better, the OL looks better, RBs look better. That said, UConn needs to continue to improve to compete with good P5 teams.
We will get the eye test next week when Purdue visits Syracuse. Will be a high scoring game

Reaction Score
And just like that folks are saying the sky is falling. After 2 games everyone said we are back and now the negativity rules again. It's exhausting.
What’s exhausting is watching the same crap show year after year for a decade. You got to cut people a break. I think Mora can turn things around, but today didn’t show much to hang your hopes on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom