This "Boatshow" is Going to be like... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This "Boatshow" is Going to be like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bluedog; How would this board react if we were to lose to Harvard? I wouldn't even look at the board till after the next game.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Great discussion on this thread! I agree that the 3 guard lineup will be critical at the eNd of games and against teams that really force the press like Arkansas and Louisville. I think it is also clearly true that PG depth will limit the # of minutes that this can be employed. In contrast to some others, I'm not so enamored with the really big lineup of AD, AO, RS, JL & SN....very long but not very dynamic (create their own offense) other than JL and not great at outside shooting (other than JL).
That being said & in regard to the Baylor PG and RB, dunking ability in a small PG is exciting to watch but ball-handling, passing ability and most of all good decision-making are the key qualities that lead tomPG and team success

Reaction Score
Harvard should be great this year in the Ivy League. They bring back their entire team this year. The same team lost to Uconn by 30 last year, though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As we speak Harvard is putting a game plan together for UConn. Harvard is the pre season Ivy favorite and loaded this year for an Ivy school. It will be interesting the FSU/Harvard match up assuming Harvard beats Utah in Battle for Atlantis. While I'm drinking the UConn Kool-Aid by the pitcher (Hey KOOOLLLL AID!! :D) Harvard and Amaker are planning their whole season around a big upset of UConn in Atlantis or Gampel/Civic Center on Dec. 8th ESPN2. This is the best Harvard team ever. Harvard has not made the NCAA tourney in 65 years. This year barring a big injury to Keith Wright (Wooden Finalist) or Kyle Casey (Conference Pre season POY) I expect Harvard to make the tourney and possibly make the sweet 16. This will be the best Harvard team ever assembled by far. Their recruiting class this year for Ivy is big time. It works to UConn's advantage to wait for FSU/Harvard to play first. Most think I'm crazy for projected an absolute barn burner with Harvard this year in Atlantis or Gampel/HCC. This Harvard team is for real. I don't think anyone believes me though! We can't drink the Kool-Aid with Harvard around. Just my humble opinion.
Jay Bilas spoke highly of Harvard on ESPNU's coverage of MM.

Reaction Score
Harvard should be great this year in the Ivy League. They bring back their entire team this year. The same team lost to Uconn by 30 last year, though.
Another contributing factor to UConn possibly being asleep at the wheel after finishing the delicious Kool-Aid :D. Having said that technically UConn is the varsity and Harvard the JV team. It may be 1 of those games however that is very tight @ the under 11 minute TV timeout before UConn delivers 1 of their patented runs. I just think Harvard this year is a team worth keeping your eye on. I think the media will get a hold of them at some point and this year will be a breakout year for them. Should be interesting to follow them.

Reaction Score
Great discussion on this thread! I agree that the 3 guard lineup will be critical at the eNd of games and against teams that really force the press like Arkansas and Louisville. I think it is also clearly true that PG depth will limit the # of minutes that this can be employed. In contrast to some others, I'm not so enamored with the really big lineup of AD, AO, RS, JL & SN....very long but not very dynamic (create their own offense) other than JL and not great at outside shooting (other than JL).
That being said & in regard to the Baylor PG and RB, dunking ability in a small PG is exciting to watch but ball-handling, passing ability and most of all good decision-making are the key qualities that lead tomPG and team success
I agree on the discussion. UConn fans are the most knowledgeable fan base there is. I may be biased about that but seriously this board is proof. It is just nice to try and add a little information to this incredible group of seasoned posters. I have learned a lot from posters here. Thanks for that!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As we speak Harvard is putting a game plan together for UConn. Harvard is the pre season Ivy favorite and loaded this year for an Ivy school. It will be interesting the FSU/Harvard match up assuming Harvard beats Utah in Battle for Atlantis. While I'm drinking the UConn Kool-Aid by the pitcher (Hey KOOOLLLL AID!! :D) Harvard and Amaker are planning their whole season around a big upset of UConn in Atlantis or Gampel/Civic Center on Dec. 8th ESPN2. This is the best Harvard team ever. Harvard has not made the NCAA tourney in 65 years. This year barring a big injury to Keith Wright (Wooden Finalist) or Kyle Casey (Conference Pre season POY) I expect Harvard to make the tourney and possibly make the sweet 16. This will be the best Harvard team ever assembled by far. Their recruiting class this year for Ivy is big time. It works to UConn's advantage to wait for FSU/Harvard to play first. Most think I'm crazy for projected an absolute barn burner with Harvard this year in Atlantis or Gampel/HCC. This Harvard team is for real. I don't think anyone believes me though! We can't drink the Kool-Aid with Harvard around. Just my humble opinion.

I'm hoping Harvard gets tossed before we have a chance to play them in Atlantis. One, because we would simply play them again in a week. And two, because I really want to see us match up against FSU. They are long and defensive oriented, and I think it would be a good hard slog for our young guys to test their mettle. Probably be better for our strength of schedule too.

Reaction Score
Bluedog; How would this board react if we were to lose to Harvard? I wouldn't even look at the board till after the next game.
;) The bottom line K is we will be in New Orleans eating Po-Boys, Gumbo and crawfish Etouffee while Harvard is watching the Final 4 games on TV! We will be enjoying our New Orleans Sazerac despite any early season loss. It will not be fatal because this team will be at its best mid March. Just my opinion for what its worth...but man NO for the Final 4! :D

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Harvard gets tossed before we have a chance to play them in Atlantis. One, because we would simply play them again in a week. And two, because I really want to see us match up against FSU. They are long and defensive oriented, and I think it would be a good hard slog for our young guys to test their mettle. Probably be better for our strength of schedule too.
Good points intiz I hope we get FSU also. I think it would add diversity and strength to our out of conference win total to beat both FSU and Harvard.

Reaction Score
BlueDog has seen RB play in person which is different than a person who has only seen highlight tapes. And he has demonstrated on this forum a degree of sophistication regarding players. He is not a run of the mill forum poster regarding evaluations imo.

So his statements regarding RB have credence and this bodes well for the Huskies. At the very least RB should be getting SN type minutes of last season and SN averaged 24 minutes/game. If BlueDog is correct, there will not be a letdown when Shabazz is on the bench. I love this possibility.

I have no doubt JC will love this development as well and knows exactly how to handle playing both SN and RB to keep both happy.
When I drafted this post the idea of the 3 guard tandem had not materialized. I was skeptical that Calhoun would play Bazz and Boat together in a three guard set. This was the move of a true Hall of Fame coach. He reduced minutes to those players who deserved to have their minutes reduced. Lets see how it all plays out. I certainly came down to hard on Bazz with some of my posts. He has character and I love his story. So my apologies to anyone who took my posts the wrong way.

My expectations for RB are through the roof. I just love his game and fell in love with it when I saw him play live.

Reaction Score
I agree Scot-e, but based on his swagger from last night and what I've seen from him on TV playing for his high school team, I have a great deal of confidence that he's going to play with maturity beyond his years and at a very high level sooner than later. I'm not saying he's going to beat out Bazz at the point, but I'd say by the time it's all said and done, Boatright looks to me as the more overall talented player.

But lets all keep in mind that Ryan needs to show that he can defend in the half-court, keeping in front of his man and handling high screens which tends to be a struggle for most guards never mind the small ones. He will also show that he has learned the half-court offense if he's going to be the floor general at times. I have a feeling he's going to excel more off the ball initially than at the point.

Bazz not only has a year of experience on him, but one where he help lead the team to a national championship.

I think we'll be fine as far as guard play is concerned with those two and Lamb.
Yet another old thread on Bazz and Boat. I seemed to underestimate Bazz in this one, and over estimate Boat a tad as far as his maturity I'd condemned. He needed more growing up to do than I realized back then, but it seems it all came together during this year's tourney.

Oh, on an unrelated note, there was (or still is) a poster back then called Hungry Husky. Didn't realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom