This "Boatshow" is Going to be like... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This "Boatshow" is Going to be like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I love Bazz. He was the perfect complimentary player to EZ pass last year. The great chemistry on last years team was attributable to having a player like the unselfish Bazz as Kemba's understudy. The team dynamic most likely was much stronger without the recruits that bypassed UConn ( Cory Joseph/Texas, Josh Selby/Kansas, Brandon Knight/Kentucky). Based on how last year turned out SN deserves the support of the whole UConn fan base. He is a smart kid and very likeable. I am simply taking a counter position as it relates to our incoming recruit Ryan Boatright and his ability to take over games regardless of his Freshman status. Of course this is speculation considering the fact the season has yet to start.

Ryan will have to earn it and I think he will before BE play starts. A 3 guard set for extended periods of time with Bazz, Boat & JL is what excites me about this season. Three great guards will equal a Final appearance in NO (JMHO). Lets take a step back to the year 2005 and the Illinois team. Deron Williams averaged a mere 12ppg and was arguably the best player in the country. Dee Brown was the face of college hoops that year and Luther Head always got the other teams #1 defender. In the regional final down by 15 with less then 4 minutes to go this 3 guard line up came storming back to beat a loaded Arizona team and eventually play NCAR for the championship. I am a strong proponent of using the 3 guard line up in college bball. With 3 guards the intent is to destroy the other team by simply wearing them out. Arizona's best player after that game was so worn out he couldn't take his jersey off and finally collapsed. Memphis will play very fast this year and I hope UConn implements it incorporating RB into the mix with big minutes. We shall see. Just my humble opinion of course.
Three guards sets are fine for certain portions of the game but that is not going to be UConns strength this year. First, they don't have one more combo guard to give some rest to the three guards. They just aren't deep enough at the 1&2 to do that for extended periods. Second the real strength on this team will be the D with Roscoe and DD at the three with Alex and Drummond under the basket. You can't water that down with two small guards and Lamb. The length with Lamb, Roscoe, Alex and Drummond will be really tough for other teams to deal with. They just don't have the right makeup this year for a three guard set.

Besides, we're UConn not Villanova!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Three guards sets are fine for certain portions of the game but that is not going to be UConns strength this year. First, they don't have one more combo guard to give some rest to the three guards. They just aren't deep enough at the 1&2 to do that for extended periods. Second the real strength on this team will be the D with Roscoe and DD at the three with Alex and Drummond under the basket. You can't water that down with two small guards and Lamb. The length with Lamb, Roscoe, Alex and Drummond will be really tough for other teams to deal with. They just don't have the right makeup this year for a three guard set.

I agree with you about the defense with RS and DD in the lineup. But at the end of the games, if UConn is ahead and the other teams need to speed up play they will go to the three guard lineup and UConn will need to match this. That is what JC did last season and I expect that to be possible this season.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I agree with you about the defense with RS and DD in the lineup. But at the end of the games, if UConn is ahead and the other teams need to speed up play they will go to the three guard lineup and UConn will need to match this. That is what JC did last season and I expect that to be possible this season.
Absolutely there will be times when you'll see the three guards on the floor. Late game for handling and free throw shooting for sure. It just won't be one of the things we'll use much otherwise.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
IMO, the best we can hope for is 4-5 legitimate big time threats that can put up 20 points on any given night, but don't be surprised if RB, DD, or AD go 6-7 silent games.

I had to laugh at this hungry. If this what we are stuck with, we are going to be ok. Most teams are hoping they've got 2 guys that can put up 20 on any given night.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I had to laugh at this hungry. If this what we are stuck with, we are going to be ok. Most teams are hoping they've got 2 guys that can put up 20 on any given night.

True. Hopefully team chemistry will allow the other players to realize if another is hot on a given night. Realistically, I'd like to see SN and JL be our leaders, and I hope that AD doesn't turn into a Sullinger-type leader.

Reaction Score

College basketball is a game dominated by guard play not front court play. If you want to win a title in today's game find the big play guards. College hoops is a guards game. Its usually the smallest players who come up big in this guard dominated NCAA competition. If 2 small guards and Lamb is considered watering down then I would counter by saying you are over hyping our front court on a national level. With good guard play you can play with anybody. Last year if you take the top 25 seventeen featured guards as their highest usage players. It is my opinion dynamic perimeter players will always rule in college hoops. If you consider your team watered down by incorporating 3 in a high usage fashion it exemplifies weakness in this era. Most coaches are now adapting and playing their 5 best players regardless of position.

The whole concept of who is playing the 1,2.3,4 or 5 position is a stereotype that will and has been thrown out the window and not very applicable. That is how the game is evolving. Codified basketball roles are not an asset any more. That is why Florida will be exiting and dangerous this year come tourney time.

Reaction Score
That is what makes UCONN so dangerous this year^. They will have so much versatility and JC will be able to put up a number of dynamic lineup combinations.

I think some people may be underrating Shabazz's ability to put up big time points. Its interesting that he has developed a reputation in college as a lock down defender because is high school he was an absolute gunner. He is a great shooter but his percentages were plagued by at times poor shot selection. I though Alex was funny last year when he commented that he didn't know Shabazz would be so good on D because he never played D before (something to that effect).

Boatright does seem special though. Literally every one who has reported on him after seeing him has raved. I'm sure a lot of people remember all of the glowing reviews of him after his ridiculous high school season. Now we have Katz and other guys reporting out of Gampel that he looks great. I have no idea why he wasn't ranked higher.

Reaction Score
That is what makes UCONN so dangerous this year^. They will have so much versatility and JC will be able to put up a number of dynamic lineup combinations.

I think some people may be underrating Shabazz's ability to put up big time points. Its interesting that he has developed a reputation in college as a lock down defender because is high school he was an absolute gunner. He is a great shooter but his percentages were plagued by at times poor shot selection. I though Alex was funny last year when he commented that he didn't know Shabazz would be so good on D because he never played D before (something to that effect).

Boatright does seem special though. Literally every one who has reported on him after seeing him has raved. I'm sure a lot of people remember all of the glowing reviews of him after his ridiculous high school season. Now we have Katz and other guys reporting out of Gampel that he looks great. I have no idea why he wasn't ranked higher.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
College basketball is a game dominated by guard play not front court play. If you want to win a title in today's game find the big play guards. College hoops is a guards game. Its usually the smallest players who come up big in this guard dominated NCAA competition. If 2 small guards and Lamb is considered watering down then I would counter by saying you are over hyping our front court on a national level. With good guard play you can play with anybody. Last year if you take the top 25 seventeen featured guards as their highest usage players. It is my opinion dynamic perimeter players will always rule in college hoops. If you consider your team watered down by incorporating 3 in a high usage fashion it exemplifies weakness in this era. Most coaches are now adapting and playing their 5 best players regardless of position.

The whole concept of who is playing the 1,2.3,4 or 5 position is a stereotype that will and has been thrown out the window and not very applicable. That is how the game is evolving. Codified basketball roles are not an asset any more. That is why Florida will be exiting and dangerous this year come tourney time.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about which 5 constitutes our best team on the floor. But I think my other point that we simply don't have enough guards in terms of rest and fouls to play many 3 guard sets is less debateable.

Reaction Score
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about which 5 constitutes our best team on the floor. But I think my other point that we simply don't have enough guards in terms of rest and fouls to play many 3 guard sets is less debateable.
I don't disagree that UConn will try and play it conservatively in the back court under the guise that most will conclude the team has no depth. That is a dangerous proposition coming to the conclusion the back court is fragile in this day in age. I like the fact JC will be working JL at the point in practice for periods of time. I am in the minority and believe UConn does have the ingredients in the back court to stew up a delicacy for kings to savor. It will depend on strategy and JC mixing the pot. :) The important thing is as another poster mentioned...we have some options. RB needs to average +11ppg. That is the over/under I would put on the board for an average that may lead to a repeat. I doubt many here would take the over 11ppg. Just my opinion. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Yall need to relax. most talented and athletic player on the team? Baylor Uconn Final!??!
I do understand to many like you Baylor is a complete nothing team this pre season. As a matter of fact they were not even an NCAA tourney team last year so it is understandable for some to dismiss them. Fleud a knowledgeable hoops fan recognized BU's need for great PG play to advance and make a run. I pick BU to make that run because I believe Pierre Jackson the JC National Player of the year will provide the missing ingredients from last year. At 5'9 here is Pierre Jackson. It will be an unbelievable season!

http://www.ballislife.com/510-pierr...or-university-moonlight-madness-dunk-contest/

Reaction Score
Blue-I've enjoyed reading your posts on this thread, as you bring up some interesting points that I had not thought of. As far as Boatright is concerned, I don't think there is any doubt how talented he is, and I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him starting by the end of the year. Him and Napier have the ability to become two of the best point guards in the Big East in the future. I think you'll see a lot of three guard sets next year with Boat, Bazz, Lamb, and Deanre/Roscoe, Alex/AD on the floor as an often used lineup, when you consider Oriakhi and Drummond may need a blow or battle foul trouble.

I love Shabazz as much as the next guy, but he also needs to prove that he can run a team. His role last year was much different than his role this year will be this season, so there are still questions, although I think all of us have a lot of faith in him to be a very good starting point guard next season.

When you look at this roster it almost seems like there are not enough minutes to go around for all the talent we have on this team. Chemistry will definitely be a key, and guys will have to accept their roles

Reaction Score
Blue-I've enjoyed reading your posts on this thread, as you bring up some interesting points that I had not thought of. As far as Boatright is concerned, I don't think there is any doubt how talented he is, and I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him starting by the end of the year. Him and Napier have the ability to become two of the best point guards in the Big East in the future. I think you'll see a lot of three guard sets next year with Boat, Bazz, Lamb, and Deanre/Roscoe, Alex/AD on the floor as an often used lineup, when you consider Oriakhi and Drummond may need a blow or battle foul trouble.

I love Shabazz as much as the next guy, but he also needs to prove that he can run a team. His role last year was much different than his role this year will be this season, so there are still questions, although I think all of us have a lot of faith in him to be a very good starting point guard next season.

When you look at this roster it almost seems like there are not enough minutes to go around for all the talent we have on this team. Chemistry will definitely be a key, and guys will have to accept their roles
Thanks superstar 99and04...& all other contributors to the thread. I don't remember being so excited about a college basketball season. The landscape is so impressive. The chalk or top teams are all loaded this year which of course includes our huskies. There are the under the radar teams also that are so intriguing! UConn will play 1 of those under the radar teams in Harvard 2 times early in the season if I'm not mistaken. I have a strong bias for exceptional guard play in the college game but certainly respect those who would prefer to opt going big. It is impossible not to root hard for Bazz. I like his demeanor and he does have court presence.

"I love Shabazz as much as the next guy, but he also needs to prove that he can run a team. His role last year was much different than his role this year will be this season, so there are still questions, although I think all of us have a lot of faith in him to be a very good starting point guard next season."

I agree with your above quote relating to Bazz. Last year he was the perfect piece to the puzzle. This year he will have to learn to get over screens on defense and run the team. KW-EZPass had an up and down Sophomore year. I will go out on a limb here and say if I could have Boatright or Drummond I wouldn't know who to take. AD's mere presence on the defensive end is what I am looking forward to seeing. Boatright on the other hand is going to be a threat immediately on both ends of the court. Will RB make Freshman mistakes? No more than any other great UConn guard did in their Fresh year assuming he gets the minutes. Andre is very raw on offense but can pass, has a great handle and is unselfish. These are great attributes that will benefit AO tremendously. Just my opinion and thanks for the great hoops chat. The UConn fan base is the best in America!

Reaction Score
Thanks superstar 99and04...& all other contributors to the thread. I don't remember being so excited about a college basketball season. The landscape is so impressive. The chalk or top teams are all loaded this year which of course includes our huskies. There are the under the radar teams also that are so intriguing! UConn will play 1 of those under the radar teams in Harvard 2 times early in the season if I'm not mistaken. I have a strong bias for exceptional guard play in the college game but certainly respect those who would prefer to opt going big. It is impossible not to root hard for Bazz. I like his demeanor and he does have court presence.

"I love Shabazz as much as the next guy, but he also needs to prove that he can run a team. His role last year was much different than his role this year will be this season, so there are still questions, although I think all of us have a lot of faith in him to be a very good starting point guard next season."

I agree with your above quote relating to Bazz. Last year he was the perfect piece to the puzzle. This year he will have to learn to get over screens on defense and run the team. KW-EZPass had an up and down Sophomore year. I will go out on a limb here and say if I could have Boatright or Drummond I wouldn't know who to take. AD's mere presence on the defensive end is what I am looking forward to seeing. Boatright on the other hand is going to be a threat immediately on both ends of the court. Will RB make Freshman mistakes? No more than any other great UConn guard did in their Fresh year assuming he gets the minutes. Andre is very raw on offense but can pass, has a great handle and is unselfish. These are great attributes that will benefit AO tremendously. Just my opinion and thanks for the great hoops chat. The UConn fan base is the best in America!

BLUEDOG, very insightful and interesting posts. No reason not to believe RB will be a player in due time and no reason not believe Bazz and he can make a great tandem in many scenarios vs certain matchups. The fact we have so many different options for lineups makes this team very dangerous but as we know, lots to prove. I hate the weakness of the schedule vs last years but must say it will work in a positive manner for this team as they find themselves. The excitement surrounding this years team was displayed last night by having to spend over an hours standing 300 yards from Gampel in 6 people deep lines past the old field house with my son and his friend. There is something about this team, their talent and even watching them as a unit, that makes you believe they will be very cohesive and find what it takes to make this a fun and successful year. Doesn't mean another NC but I do believe they will be a player on the national scene in a big way come March/April.

Love 3 guard play and I think both guys (RB and SN) can guard people but there will be teams that will not work again. No matter how athletic they are, the fact is they are 5'11" and 5'10" and matcup issues vs bigger guards would be a concern. I know we have the horses to make up for the lack of some size in the backcourt but I don't think we see them together as much as some would think. I can see Lamb, Giffey and Daniels playing some 2 with one of those guys running the show quite often. Heck against the Cuse zone we can throw some perimeter guys all along the outside and make some shots for the first time in a while. Nice thing is the talent will not allow too many teams to pack it in as much as they would like.

YOu know what, lots of fun ahead......all this talk is great stuff and great reading. Keep it coming there's going to be lots of good hoops discussion this year that's for sure!!

Reaction Score
Man, reading over more of these posts I'm getting more excited about this season. JC is a master of lineups, and having so many pieces to move around, he's going to have a field day!

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-practice-1016-20111015,0,339081.story

"That came from my upbringing," Boatright said. "They told me every day, 'don't you let anyone bully you out there.' It was mostly my mamma. If she found out some kid punked me, bullied me, she'd beat me up herself."

"He's got some similarities to Kemba," Calhoun said, "in that he can score. I'd say he's 60-40–60 percent scorer, 40 percent pure point guard."

I mean in good conscious they can't say he is better then Kemba or he is the best point they have. It just is politically incorrect. Enough pumping of RB from me. His stock doesn't need pumping. His stock is a buy rating with great upside. To bad for for West Virginia.

Reaction Score
BLUEDOG, very insightful and interesting posts. No reason not to believe RB will be a player in due time and no reason not believe Bazz and he can make a great tandem in many scenarios vs certain matchups. The fact we have so many different options for lineups makes this team very dangerous but as we know, lots to prove. I hate the weakness of the schedule vs last years but must say it will work in a positive manner for this team as they find themselves. The excitement surrounding this years team was displayed last night by having to spend over an hours standing 300 yards from Gampel in 6 people deep lines past the old field house with my son and his friend. There is something about this team, their talent and even watching them as a unit, that makes you believe they will be very cohesive and find what it takes to make this a fun and successful year. Doesn't mean another NC but I do believe they will be a player on the national scene in a big way come March/April.

Love 3 guard play and I think both guys (RB and SN) can guard people but there will be teams that will not work again. No matter how athletic they are, the fact is they are 5'11" and 5'10" and matcup issues vs bigger guards would be a concern. I know we have the horses to make up for the lack of some size in the backcourt but I don't think we see them together as much as some would think. I can see Lamb, Giffey and Daniels playing some 2 with one of those guys running the show quite often. Heck against the Cuse zone we can throw some perimeter guys all along the outside and make some shots for the first time in a while. Nice thing is the talent will not allow too many teams to pack it in as much as they would like.

YOu know what, lots of fun ahead......all this talk is great stuff and great reading. Keep it coming there's going to be lots of good hoops discussion this year that's for sure!!
I live in NYC so missed out on all the festivities. I love your story and your passion as it relates to your son. Treasure the moments because time goes fast. Ultimately winning is important but the memories you share with your son are truly priceless. Wishing you the best. Thanks by the way for the nice comments.

Reaction Score
Three guards sets are fine for certain portions of the game but...

Yes, we're UConn, home of the two point guard championship. Don't doubt for a second that you will see Boatright and Napier on teh floor at the same time for stretches, with Lamb at the 3 and some combination of Roscoe, Alex, and Drummond at the 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2011/04/the-boat-show/

"All things considered, for a kid to have all of that on his resume in his senior season, one would think that he would’ve been somebody’s All-American. But Boatright understands the politics of basketball and not being recognized for his accomplishments didn’t really come as a surprise."

Hey Bluedog, thanks for the link. The article suggests to me that RB might be a much better contributor from the 2 spot. But since I haven't seen him play, thats just IMO.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Hey Bluedog, thanks for the link. The article suggests to me that RB might be a much better contributor from the 2 spot. But since I haven't seen him play, thats just IMO.

Peace,

John Fryer
No prob he's a combo so we have a guard that is powered by more than 1 source of power. He is a hybrid and multidimensional. It is safe to assume RB simply wants to be on floor contributing. He won't be happy unless he is logging minutes. I think he will earn them. He backed out of his commitment to West Virginia for a reason.

Reaction Score
This team has always succeeded with 3 guards playing well

99 - Rickey, Khalid, Ripper
04 - Taliek, Gordon, Rashad
10 - Shabazz, Wawlker, Lamb

In '11, when we want to go small, or protect leads
Shabazz, Boat, Lamb, with a combo of Smith and Daniels, or Smith and AO, or AO and #12

Either way, Calhoun will have multiple lineups this year to use, depending on what we are facing

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This team has always succeeded with 3 guards playing well

99 - Rickey, Khalid, Ripper
04 - Taliek, Gordon, Rashad
10 - Shabazz, Wawlker, Lamb

Don't forget the group that started it all:

90 - George, Smith, Gwynn

Reaction Score
I can't ever remember being this excited about a UCONN roster of players. There are just so many combinations JC can use depending on the match-ups and who is hot. We won't soon see again the type of year that KW had for us, if EVER, but with this group of players I expect that we will have multiple great games resembling what Kemba did by different players. Most nights we probably will see very balanced scoring by many players and no superstar performances like Kemba was required to give us if we were to win. I always remember when Rudy Gay played for us that I was waiting for him to dominate a game. But he had so many other great players on the team, the scoring was distributed and he always contributed in other ways and filled out the stat sheet. It's really enjoyable watching a team that has so many answers and causes so many matchup problems for other teams. Should be a blast!

Reaction Score
I can't ever remember being this excited about a UCONN roster of players. There are just so many combinations JC can use depending on the match-ups and who is hot. We won't soon see again the type of year that KW had for us, if EVER, but with this group of players I expect that we will have multiple great games resembling what Kemba did by different players. Most nights we probably will see very balanced scoring by many players and no superstar performances like Kemba was required to give us if we were to win. I always remember when Rudy Gay played for us that I was waiting for him to dominate a game. But he had so many other great players on the team, the scoring was distributed and he always contributed in other ways and filled out the stat sheet. It's really enjoyable watching a team that has so many answers and causes so many matchup problems for other teams. Should be a blast!
As we speak Harvard is putting a game plan together for UConn. Harvard is the pre season Ivy favorite and loaded this year for an Ivy school. It will be interesting the FSU/Harvard match up assuming Harvard beats Utah in Battle for Atlantis. While I'm drinking the UConn Kool-Aid by the pitcher (Hey KOOOLLLL AID!! :D) Harvard and Amaker are planning their whole season around a big upset of UConn in Atlantis or Gampel/Civic Center on Dec. 8th ESPN2. This is the best Harvard team ever. Harvard has not made the NCAA tourney in 65 years. This year barring a big injury to Keith Wright (Wooden Finalist) or Kyle Casey (Conference Pre season POY) I expect Harvard to make the tourney and possibly make the sweet 16. This will be the best Harvard team ever assembled by far. Their recruiting class this year for Ivy is big time. It works to UConn's advantage to wait for FSU/Harvard to play first. Most think I'm crazy for projected an absolute barn burner with Harvard this year in Atlantis or Gampel/HCC. This Harvard team is for real. I don't think anyone believes me though! We can't drink the Kool-Aid with Harvard around. Just my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom