Third and final top-16 reveal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Third and final top-16 reveal

Reaction Score
Though there can be many twists and turns, I’m having a feeling of deja vu from 2014, I think it was: Two undefeated teams with an interesting recent history heading for a matchup in the national championship game. I think ND and Baylor have the potential to spoil that, but I’m not sure anyone else does.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, I have a comment and a question.

ND has had a great season especially given all their injuries BUT with only 7 players, no point guard, limited front court depth and not great speed or cardiovascular training, I am not worried AT ALL about ND if we were to play them again. I just think what we learned, what they lost and how much better KLS is from that game, has me very comfortable and sleeping well if we were to face them.

Why are so many worried about ND?

Reaction Score
Though there can be many twists and turns, I’m having a feeling of deja vu from 2014, I think it was: Two undefeated teams with an interesting recent history heading for a matchup in the national championship game. I think ND and Baylor have the potential to spoil that, but I’m not sure anyone else does.
I really hope this happens. Destiny!

BTW I also hope Baylor sneaks in as the overall #4, so we get to play them in the FF too. To be totally convincing I think we need to beat Baylor this year. Either way, I just WANT to beat Baylor this year. Then we can unleash the piranhas for the NC. That will be SOOO sweet!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If SC is the 2nd seed in the Albany region Dawn will have fit. I can hear her now saying that the defending champion should be treated special. I think they will lose to Missouri in the SEC semi final.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Baylor now has 8 top 25 wins and 10 top 50 wins according to Sagarin. Not too shabby. An undefeated Big 12 champ is a 1 seed, especially over a 3 loss ACC runner up.
Problem is, the committee doesn't use Sagarin.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I really hope this happens. Destiny!

BTW I also hope Baylor sneaks in as the overall #4, so we get to play them in the FF too. To be totally convincing I think we need to beat Baylor this year. Either way, I just WANT to beat Baylor this year. Then we can unleash the piranhas for the NC. That will be SOOO sweet!

If Baylor is true to their colors, they will lose in the Regionals. When was the last time they made the Final Four? Here are the teams that they played OOC with their current RPI (2/18) next to them, Lamar (108), Coppin St (299), Central Arkansas (119), UCLA (9), Missouri St (99), Georgia Tech (66), Kentucky (96), Standford (14), North Dakota (174), McNeese (266), and Nicholls (242).

Reaction Score
I think the committee should also consider teams that are on a downward spiral late in the season. Especially when it is to unranked teams . Using to many computer metrics is just a cop out.

Reaction Score
Being out all that time seems to have really effected Bando's effectiveness.

Reaction Score
If Baylor is true to their colors, they will lose in the Regionals. When was the last time they made the Final Four? Here are the teams that they played OOC with their current RPI (2/18) next to them, Lamar (108), Coppin St (299), Central Arkansas (119), UCLA (9), Missouri St (99), Georgia Tech (66), Kentucky (96), Standford (14), North Dakota (174), McNeese (266), and Nicholls (242).
Well, after being tested by Nicholls, McNeese and Coppin State, I expect Baylor to make it to the FF - hopefully as the 4th #1 seed so they can meet up with their daddy.

Reaction Score
I wonder if McGuire is the best match up against UCLA when her mid-range game is not clicking. She only has 6 points and I think her lack of mobility probably is hurting their defense. I guess Graves believes that too since he pulled her out.

Reaction Score
I think the committee has been pretty clear with Baylor and MD in seating over the last couple years with really poor strength of schedule. I don't expect that to change. If ND and Louisville win out and are neck n neck at their championship then Baylor should stay at the #5 overall seed.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If SC is the 2nd seed in the Albany region Dawn will have fit. I can hear her now saying that the defending champion should be treated special. I think they will lose to Missouri in the SEC semi final.
Someone help me understand South Carolina's #7 ranking. They are #17 in the RPI, and are 6-5 versus teams in the Top 50 RPI, and 4-0 versus teams ranked 51-100 (neither number stands out).

There has to be something the committee is giving them credit for which I am overlooking.

NOTE: I am not arguing that Texas should be higher than our #8 ranking (as we are #11 in RPI).

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I got a good convo going on VolNation about this. I'm gonna borrow some of your data here.

Reaction Score
Baylor's OOC SOS is 164.... 164. They do not deserve a 1 period... Did you guys just see that graphic comparing them the Notre Dame? Baylor is trying to were a Versace dress to the post season selection committee interview and woo their way past what the committee has already said is now a priority. They made that a statement last year with Maryland. The problem is Notre Dame is wearing the same dress but with a better resume!!! Who get's the job? C'mon now.

Is Baylor good... Yes. However, their body of work doesn't match that of those ahead of them. Maybe if they had played more than 4 good teams all year they would have a case. As it stands they screwed themselves. If the committee does give them a 1 then they flat out lied about what matters and the example they made of Maryland was pointless. Last year the committee said if your OOC SOS is in the triple digits you will not be rewarded.
What’s the deal? Why doesn’t Mulkey schedule some good teams?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Baylor's OOC schedule with their current RPI (2/18) next to them, Lamar (108), Coppin St (299), Central Arkansas (119), UCLA (9), Missouri St (99), Georgia Tech (66), Kentucky (96), Standford (14), North Dakota (174), McNeese (266), and Nicholls (242). Average RPI is 135.6

Louisville's OOC schedule, South East Missouri St (222), Ohio St (7), Toledo (58), Michigan (47), Oregon (8), Murray St (297), Indiana (60), South Dakota St (32), Tenn Martin (192), Vandy (134), Tenn St (328), Middle Tenn (116), UK (96), Air Force (306), and UConn (1). Average RPI is 126.9

Mississippi State's OOC schedule, Virginia (35), Georgia St (315), So Miss (204), Arizona St (41), Columbia (212), Green Bay (12), LA-Lafayette (175), OK St (55), Ark-Little Rock (103), Oregon (8), Maine (82), UNLV (93), Syracuse (31), and Mississippi Valley St (338). Average RPI is 121.7

Notre Dame's OOC schedule, Mt Saint Mary's (288), Western Kentucky (46), Oregon St (39), East Tenn St (125), USF (22), South Carolina (16), Michigan (47), UConn (1), Michigan St (59), Penn (74), DePaul (28), and Marquette (30), Tenn (10). Average RPI is 60.3

UConn's OCC schedule, Standford (14), California (36), Maryland (20), UCLA (9), Michigan St (59), Nevada (208), Notre Dame (2), DePaul (28), Oklahoma (23), Duquesne (62), Texas (10), South Carolina (16), and Louisville (4). Average RPI is 37.8

UConn had only one team out of the top 62 teams and that was Nevada, which was a game put together so that Gabby could play a homecoming game.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I got a good convo going on VolNation about this. I'm gonna borrow some of your data here.
If you like that you might want to look down the page for some more data.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Someone help me understand South Carolina's #7 ranking. They are #17 in the RPI, and are 6-5 versus teams in the Top 50 RPI, and 4-0 versus teams ranked 51-100 (neither number stands out).

There has to be something the committee is giving them credit for which I am overlooking.

NOTE: I am not arguing that Texas should be higher than our #8 ranking (as we are #11 in RPI).
Which of the teams ranked behind South Carolina deserves to be ranked ahead of them?

Reaction Score

Defending national champion counts for something I guess.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Which of the teams ranked behind South Carolina deserves to be ranked ahead of them?
Based on RPI alone, nine teams fit the bill.

So, that's why I am asking what in their body of work should bump them up so much from RPR rankings. Playing UConn and Notre Dame (not man teams played both) could be a good reason. Their best wins are over Top 20 RPI teams Duke and Maryland.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Based on RPI alone, nine teams fit the bill.

So, that's why I am asking what in their body of work should bump them up so much from RPR rankings. Playing UConn and Notre Dame (not man teams played both) could be a good reason. Their best wins are over Top 20 RPI teams Duke and Maryland.
Well, it's not based on RPI alone. There wouldn't be a need for a committee if it went strictly by RPI. And Buffalo would be a top 16 seed ahead of South Carolina.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Their best wins are over Top 20 RPI teams Duke and Maryland.

They also have wins over #11 Missouri, plus Texas A&M and Georgia. Their loss to TN was without Wilson. Their loss to ND was a close one. If they win out against LSU and Tenn their resume will be solid.

Are they getting special treatment because they're National Champs or because of the injuries they've overcome or because the NCAA wouldn't make Cooper eligible? Maybe. But not much. They're the second best team in the fist or second best conference. I'd argue that Tennessee, Ohio State, Stanford and Maryland got more favorable treatment.

And remember, if the Committee went by RPI, Buffalo, Green Bay and Duke would be hosting instead of Stanford, Maryland and Georgia. Sometimes you have to use the eye test and common sense.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Their best wins are over Top 20 RPI teams Duke and Maryland.

They also have wins over #11 Missouri, plus Texas A&M and Georgia. Their loss to TN was without Wilson. Their loss to ND was a close one. If they win out against LSU and Tenn their resume will be solid.

Are they getting special treatment because they're National Champs or because of the injuries they've overcome or because the NCAA wouldn't make Cooper eligible? Maybe. But not much. They're the second best team in the fist or second best conference. I'd argue that Tennessee, Ohio State, Stanford and Maryland got more favorable treatment.

And remember, if the Committee went by RPI, Buffalo, Green Bay and Duke would be hosting instead of Stanford, Maryland and Georgia. Sometimes you have to use the eye test and common sense

Duke hosting over UGA and MD wouldn't be an abomination .... but of course Im biased. :p

Reaction Score
Very cool that the committee revealed not just the top 16 teams, but also their regions. And those placements worked out about as well as could have been imagined for the Huskies. There's a lot of talk on ESPN and here about whether Baylor can play their way into a #1 seed. But the committee has spoken, and Baylor has now beat Texas. Yes, either Louisville or Notre Dame is going to lose another game before selection Monday. But unless one of them loses to a team that is outside the top four, or Baylor loses to someone other than Texas in their remaining Big 12 play, one through five and their regions are already set. How glorious for UConn!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom