Third and final top-16 reveal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Third and final top-16 reveal

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn't Indianapolis host a couple of Final Fours? Forget if Notre Dame played in them or not, but they had every opportunity to do so. And, to everyone else, it would seem like an unfair advantage.

Indianapolis hosted the FF in 2011 and Notre Dame lost to Texas A&M in the championship game. Indianapolis also hosted the FF in 2016 but Notre Dame didn't make it.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I've read your response to other comments on this...but you seem to be overlooking a few things...
1. UConn was the overall #1 seed in many if not all those years.
2. Even if they weren't the overall #1, I'll bet the Team that was #1 went to a sight a heck of a lot closer to their home than if they had been sent to Albany or Bridgeport, or where ever UConn was sent... I mean let's say Baylor was #1 seed one of those years... wouldn't it make more sense to send them to Dallas, or KC, or OKC...rather than to Albany or Bridgeport, just so UConn had to travel???
3. This is a factor of the Bidding Process for Regional Tournaments...and frankly the decisions are made well before anyone has any clue as to which teams are really going to make it to the Regional Tournaments.
Responding to point #1, UConn was the #1 overall seed in 4 of the 6 previous years and will probably be the number 1 seed this season making it 5 out of the past 7. But that is not at all what I am arguing, as I stated fairly clearly in my response to JoePgh (link here).

Responding to point #2, of course the higher ranked team went to a closer site to their school than the site where UConn ended up. That's largely due to the fact that UConn is the only good school near Bridgeport, Albany, and Kingston. That is in fact the point I am trying to make! In the 2 years that UConn was not the overall 1-seed, UConn ended up closer to their campus than the #1 overall seed did. In 2012, the overall 1-seed was undefeated Baylor and they were sent to the closest regional site (Des Moines, IA, 829 miles away.) UConn went to Kingston, RI (55 miles away). In 2013, Baylor was again the overall #1 seed, and they traveled to Oklahoma City (288 miles away). The #2 overall seed was Notre Dame, which was sent to Norfolk, VA (729 miles). UConn (3rd overall 1-seed) was sent to Bridgeport (78 miles). You see, it doesn't matter where UConn is seeded among the 1-seeds, because they have almost always (6/7) been assigned to their local site.

Responding to point #3, yes I know that these sites are awarded in advance. But they were clearly chosen because they are close to Storrs. Correct? That is the point I am trying to make. It's great for UConn fans and the UConn Huskies but it is not great for competitive balance and every team that is not UConn. You guys are awesome so it's not like you need another advantage.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't Indianapolis host a couple of Final Fours? Forget if Notre Dame played in them or not, but they had every opportunity to do so. And, to everyone else, it would seem like an unfair advantage.
I completely agree with your statement. See link (here) and (here) from earlier in this thread.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Responding to point #1, UConn was the #1 overall seed in 4 of the 6 previous years and will probably be the number 1 seed this season making it 5 out of the past 7. But that is not at all what I am arguing, as I stated fairly clearly in my response to JoePgh (link here).

Responding to point #2, of course the higher ranked team went to a closer site to their school than the site where UConn ended up. That's largely due to the fact that UConn is the only good school near Bridgeport, Albany, and Kingston. That is in fact the point I am trying to make! In the 2 years that UConn was not the overall 1-seed, UConn ended up closer to their campus than the #1 overall seed did. In 2012, the overall 1-seed was undefeated Baylor and they were sent to the closest regional site (Des Moines, IA, 829 miles away.) UConn went to Kingston, RI (55 miles away). In 2013, Baylor was again the overall #1 seed, and they traveled to Oklahoma City (288 miles away). The #2 overall seed was Notre Dame, which was sent to Norfolk, VA (729 miles). UConn (3rd overall 1-seed) was sent to Bridgeport (78 miles). You see, it doesn't matter where UConn is seeded among the 1-seeds, because they have almost always (6/7) been assigned to their local site.

Responding to point #3, yes I know that these sites are awarded in advance. But they were clearly chosen because they are close to Storrs. Correct? That is the point I am trying to make. It's great for UConn fans and the UConn Huskies but it is not great for competitive balance and every team that is not UConn. You guys are awesome so it's not like you need another advantage.

But it is an advantage that is earned year after year, so...

Reaction Score
I agree.

Vegas sounds like heaven when compared to spending a long weekend in Fort Wayne or Albany.
Or Spokane, WA when there is still snow on the ground-YUK!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Or Spokane, WA when there is still snow on the ground-YUK!

It should be melted out by the time the Regionals role around. Hey it snowed today just north of Seattle. It is still winter.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Baylor at this point doesn’t need to improve its RPI. It just needs some quality wins. Another win over Texas would be significant. Another win over Oklahoma would help as well (even if OK finishes outside the RPI top 25).

As for Oklahoma State and West Virginia, I’m sure the committee is aware that they are undervalued in the RPI. OkSt is safely in the tournament IMO despite its low RPI, and WV is a bubble team.

The main point is that Baylor’s resume is nowhere near as weak as Maryland's was last year. Maryland was the overall #9 on selection day while Baylor is already at #5.
Oklahoma State suffers a very bad loss at Kansas on Wednesday night. Charlie Crème tweeted that the Big 12 is now in danger of only having two teams in the NCAA tourney. Obviously, this loss hurts in "quality wins" for both Texas and Baylor, and the reputation as to where the conference ranks nationally.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oklahoma State suffers a very bad loss at Kansas on Wednesday night. Charlie Crème tweeted that the Big 12 is now in danger of only having two teams in the NCAA tourney. Obviously, this loss hurts in "quality wins" for both Texas and Baylor, and the reputation as to where the conference ranks nationally.
Ha well, when I said safely in that was before they lost to Kansas. :-/

It won't really hurt Texas or Baylor appreciably. It hurts Oklahoma and the other bubble teams in the Big 12 quite a bit, though.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ha well, when I said safely in that was before they lost to Kansas. :-/

It won't really hurt Texas or Baylor appreciably. It hurts Oklahoma and the other bubble teams in the Big 12 quite a bit, though.
Miss. State and Tennessee also had narrow home non-conference win over OSU. So, that win no longer looks as good as it did a week ago or so. And, OSU throttled UCLA.

Honestly, I thought OSU would be a team who would give a #1 or #2 seed a real tussle depending on the player matchups. There still might be time for them to turn it around (if they secure an invite to the big dance).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If Duke ends up as a #5 seed............. Im hoping they head to Athens

dog praying.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So many games, Duke is still in the hunt for hosting!

Maryland losing certainly helped.... I was hoping Bama would do Duke a solid tonight...... but alas they couldnt block out #4 for UGA

Duke is virtually entrenched as the #4 seed in the ACC tourney next week. I was thinking perhaps it would it be better to be a #5... and pick up a extra victory........ even if it would be over a Sub 100 opponent....

I've heard Greece is nice in March!

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maryland losing certainly helped.... I was hoping Bama would do Duke a solid tonight. but alas they couldnt block out #4 for UGA

Duke is virtually entrenched as the #4 seed in the ACC tourney next week. I was thinking perhaps it would it be better to be a #5... and pick up a extra victory... even if it would be over a Sub 100 opponent....

:rolleyes:
So many games left before NCAA Selection Committee finalizes the bracket, and top 16. As long as Duke takes care of their own business, I believe Duke is well positioned for moving in to the top 16. It could even be a #3 seed that gets bounced (Tennessee could implode). But I think the top candidates for moving out of the top 16 are: Stanford, Maryland, and Ohio State. In any case, I'll be happy for Duke if they end up hosting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom