Thinking of moving to Southington | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Thinking of moving to Southington

Reaction Score
Currently reside in Rocky Hill but planning on moving in the next year or so.

Wife works at UConn Health in Farmington and I’m working in New Haven. I want my wife to be relatively close to her job and I don’t mind the commuting a longer distance.

I have a soon to be 3-year old and a baby due in December so we are hoping to get settled in before my oldest starts pre-school.

We drove around some parts of Southington and found some neighborhoods that we really liked but we don’t know too much about the area, school system, and the community as a whole. I know the town is big into sports which I do love but outside of that I don’t know much else.

Would love to hear some feedback, thanks!

Reaction Score
My only experience with Southington is I used to have to take my daughter to a dance studio off a couple of times a week at 6:00. On some Fridays it was almost impossible to do as it would take 20 minutes to move a few hundred feet. My suggestion before moving anywhere is to drive it during the rush hour or the time you would be commuting. My guess it is an hour commute if you are leaving at seven in the morning and coming home 5/6ish.

Same could be said for anyone thinking of moving to Farmington and has to commute via route 4, drive that once and you will change your mind.

Reaction Score
My only experience with Southington is I used to have to take my daughter to a dance studio off a couple of times a week at 6:00. On some Fridays it was almost impossible to do as it would take 20 minutes to move a few hundred feet. My suggestion before moving anywhere is to drive it during the rush hour or the time you would be commuting. My guess it is an hour commute if you are leaving at seven in the morning and coming home 5/6ish.

Same could be said for anyone thinking of moving to Farmington and has to commute via route 4, drive that once and you will change your mind.
Route 6 in Bristol has been under construction since 2011 and will be until 3011. That is currently the worst road in the area

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I lived here for 31 years. Great access to highways on I-84 and I-691.

Diversity is not our strong point with an overall minority percentage around 3% if that is important to you.

Very strong youth sports program supported by a great YMCA program including a summer camp at Camp Sloper.

A lot of open space to explore but in combination with a strong business presence moving in. This results in a low mill rate around 27.

Both my kids now in their 20s went through the public school. They are now successful adults with great jobs so however you want judge a school system by, they did get a great education.

The East Coast Greenway runs through town and is a great place for joggers, bikers and walkers,

I take the bus to Hartford for the UConn basketball and football games.

Sliders wings in town!

Negatives :

No local bus system in place but plans are in place.
Congested main thoroughfares as more businesses move to Queen St. and West St.

Ask away with any specific questions.
Hopefully that bus system doesn’t go in. It’ll end up like Plainville. Bring back trolleys!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have friends who live in Southington. It is like a lot of the nicer towns along 84 W from Hartford. Schools are solid, there is stuff to do in town, good rec activities, public pools and parks, reasonably priced.

Two things that stick out as different from other towns:

1) It is a lot easier to get around the state from Southington than most other towns. It is convenient to New Haven, Hartford and Fairfield County because 84 runs right through the middle of town North to South, then Intersects with 691 which runs along the south edge of town. Route 8 is 10 miles to the west, and Route 9 is 5 miles to the east. UConn, Mystic and Greenwich are how far you need to go from Southington for it to be more than an hour drive.

2) Youth sports are crazy, and very political. I think part of that is because it is a big town, so there is less of a competitive cost for settling scores through the youth sports. There are always another 5 kids that are pretty good that can take the place of the kid that was cut because someone in charge didn't like the parents.

Reaction Score
The Diner South of 84 on Queen St was our breakfast spot for 12PM UConn games at the old HCC.
great. Days ,great guys great. Memories.
The Big Guy 6’6” 275 would order 4 eggs over easy . Double orders of home fries and Toast.
Washed down with a large OJ and of course coffee. Things like that you don’t forget.

Reaction Score
The Diner South of 84 on Queen St was our breakfast spot for 12PM UConn games at the old HCC.
great. Days ,great guys great. Memories.
The Big Guy 6’6” 275 would order 4 eggs over easy . Double orders of home fries and Toast.
Washed down with a large OJ and of course coffee. Things like that you don’t forget.

That's a nice base!;)

Reaction Score
Thalberg.....it all kind of makes sense now. Flanders all the way baby.

Lived there from 2-26 in the same house on Pilgrim Lane. It’s alright town, nothing special but nothing terrible. A solid place to raise a family.

One thing I would point out is that I am still friend with a bunch from Southington. It’s weird, if I go to Southington person wedding the person had a ton of people from Southington. Core groups of friends seem to stay together long after unlike other towns. Probably just anecdotal.
Grew up on thistle

Reaction Score
I have coached at the HS for 22 yrs....the school community and the town itself are very supportive of its sports programs. ( and demanding as well. But it's all I've ever known and wouldn't ever trade an ounce of that for more apathy). Park dept is run by a great guy.

The school has a freshman wing, a freshman cafeteria etc. the size of the school also allows it to offer a lot of unique classes that would not be viable in a school with 125 kids in the class .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom