Thinking of moving to Southington | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thinking of moving to Southington

Reaction Score
Currently reside in Rocky Hill but planning on moving in the next year or so.

Wife works at UConn Health in Farmington and I’m working in New Haven. I want my wife to be relatively close to her job and I don’t mind the commuting a longer distance.

I have a soon to be 3-year old and a baby due in December so we are hoping to get settled in before my oldest starts pre-school.

We drove around some parts of Southington and found some neighborhoods that we really liked but we don’t know too much about the area, school system, and the community as a whole. I know the town is big into sports which I do love but outside of that I don’t know much else.

Would love to hear some feedback, thanks!

Reaction Score
Grew up there, parents still live there. It is a bit odd compared to other places I've lived. There is a bit of an inbred quality to families that have lived there multiple generations and never left town.

There are good eats, the schools are solid to very good if your kid is bright. As for neigborhoods, I'd split the town east/west of Rte 10 and north/south of Berlin St, favoring east of that line.

It's full of subdivisions, your price point when it was built probably matters more after which school district you pick. There is a wide variety in housing stock.

We were looking off of West street near the new subdivision where the North Ridge golf course used to be. Seemed pretty quiet overall

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Plenty of nice neighborhoods and restaurants as already mentioned. El Pulpo is terrific Spanish tapas and Somewhere in Bangkok has great Thai.

Reaction Score
I remember playing them in sports and all the people being really proud of Carl Pavano being from there.

That wouldn’t be something I’d be proud of.
You can always be proud of Rob Dibble though. My friend was buddies with Ricky Botallico, isn't he also from there?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We were looking off of West street near the new subdivision where the North Ridge golf course used to be. Seemed pretty quiet overall

That sounds like Welch Road. Take note of the food to energy plant down the road and Any noise from Lake Compounce, I grew up during the concert era and that was always news back then. I think the college just closed, so I'd be curious what will replace it. Personally, in that part of town I'd look closer to the ski area. The only parts l'd really avoid are the area in or west of downtown and Darling Street.

Reaction Score
That sounds like Welch Road. Take note of the food to energy plant down the road and Any noise from Lake Compounce, I grew up during the concert era and that was always news back then. I think the college just closed, so I'd be curious what will replace it. Personally, in that part of town I'd look closer to the ski area. The only parts l'd really avoid are the area in or west of downtown and Darling Street.

Yeah, it is off Welch Road. Lake Compounce could be muffled a bit I’d think with all the land/woods in between but I may be wrong.

Do you know the name of that plant?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Let me know if you need help with a Realtor.
Have helped other fans.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
@UConnKev if you have any questions about areas to look DM me I know the area well.

But yeah mostly accurate takes here.

1. Obsessive about sports and often is very political
  2. Some spots of town are nicer than others, dependent on school district and surroundings (areas of Plantsville on MW Road, anything near Plainville, and near any super fund sites you should stay away)
  3. Downtown is pretty thriving nowadays with restaurants and bars (I’ll take my comment back on the food, I’m just picky)
  4. Stay away from Darling St. I believe they tried/trying to put low-income housing downtown somewhere. Not sure about the status of this since I moved out

Reaction Score
@CTBasketball appreciate the insight. Is there one area of Southington that’s better than others in your opinion? I know there are a bunch of elementary schools in town but unsure if one stands out over the others.

The neighborhood we were looking into I believe we would go to Thalberg if Realtor.com is right.
That is a good neigborhood but there are others and no bad neighborhoods. Raised 2 children in Southington both of whom are attorneys so you may want to consider another town. Seriously, it is a good town to raise a family with a pretty good school system. Compared to other Hartford suburbs Southington is unpretentious. Great sports programs for kids. Good restaurant choices.

Reaction Score
It's kind of funny, but when I was looking at houses there it seemed that every house:

a) You could hear the highway,
b) Had those huge power line towers in sight or,
c) Both.

I do think it's a good town to raise kids in though. Nice town center, sports are top-notch, good restaurants.
The "Power line & Highway Noise" houses stay on the market for a long time. RE Agents take you there first, especially out of towners. Born and raised here 59 years. Disagree about Rec Facilities being underwhelming and get the Southington pride thing being a bit strange, but we love our Town. Great town to raise kids. I raised 3 successfully. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any noise from Lake Compounce, I grew up during the concert era and that was always news back then.
Lake Compounce could be muffled a bit I’d think with all the land/woods in between but I may be wrong.
Spent the day at Lake Compounce yesterday with two of my daughters. While we were in line for Mammoth Falls we were surprised to see how close the road was. The place is huge though and I don't know where the concerts are, so perhaps they are buffered by the lake and the woods surrounding much of it.

My kids have all been there a few times each for class trips and/or trips with friends, but I think that was my first time there, as we always went to Riverside (now Six Flags). Not a bad park. Was surprised at how fast and jarring the old wooden coasters were (Boulder Dash and Wildcat). Made Zoomerang seem mild by comparison because at least it was smooth. It was hot and were pretty spent after doing the waterpark so we skipped Phobia Phear but in retrospect I wish we had done it. Was bummed that Thunder Rapids was closed and that the Venus Vortex isn't open yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Spent the day at Lake Compounce yesterday with two of my daughters. While we were in line for Mammoth Falls we were surprised to see how close the road was. The place is huge though and I don't know where the concerts are, so perhaps they are buffered by the lake and the woods surrounding much of it.

My kids have all been there a few times each for class trips and/or trips with friends, but I think that was my first time there, as we always went to Riverside (now Six Flags). Not a bad park. Was surprised at how fast and jarring the old wooden coasters were (Boulder Dash and Wildcat). Made Zoomerang seem mild by comparison because at least it was smooth. It was hot and were pretty spent after doing the waterpark so we skipped Phobia Phear but in retrospect I wish we had done it. Was bummed that Thunder Rapids was closed and that the Venus Vortex isn't open yet.

the ampitheatre was right on the road too. they tore it down a long ago.

cant see poison every summer like the old days.

Reaction Score
lake compounce concert mt rushmore

Poison
Slaughter
Steve Miller Band
NKOTB

You probably love when they play Welcome to Jungle at sporting events. You’re probably on the Jumbotron playing air guitar.

Reaction Score
lake compounce concert mt rushmore

Poison
Slaughter
Steve Miller Band
NKOTB
Dude, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Connecticut actually used to be kind of cool.
Screenshot_20190820-120419_Chrome.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom