Thinking of moving to Southington | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thinking of moving to Southington

Reaction Score
Currently reside in Rocky Hill but planning on moving in the next year or so.

Wife works at UConn Health in Farmington and I’m working in New Haven. I want my wife to be relatively close to her job and I don’t mind the commuting a longer distance.

I have a soon to be 3-year old and a baby due in December so we are hoping to get settled in before my oldest starts pre-school.

We drove around some parts of Southington and found some neighborhoods that we really liked but we don’t know too much about the area, school system, and the community as a whole. I know the town is big into sports which I do love but outside of that I don’t know much else.

Would love to hear some feedback, thanks!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
i wasnt picking my favorites as so much who i associate with the place

I know Van Morrison also played there but I didn’t go. My brother did and it is widely regarded as the worst Van show ever. Apparently he was in a terrible mood and only played for 45 minutes before walking off the stage.

I believe I saw something yesterday saying that Aretha Franklin played there as well.
Dude, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Connecticut actually used to be kind of cool.
View attachment 45733
I saw SRV at UConn for Spring Weekend when I was there.

Reaction Score
lol a little league all star teammate of mine

Thalberg.....it all kind of makes sense now. Flanders all the way baby.

Lived there from 2-26 in the same house on Pilgrim Lane. It’s alright town, nothing special but nothing terrible. A solid place to raise a family.

One thing I would point out is that I am still friend with a bunch from Southington. It’s weird, if I go to Southington person wedding the person had a ton of people from Southington. Core groups of friends seem to stay together long after unlike other towns. Probably just anecdotal.

Reaction Score
I know Van Morrison also played there but I didn’t go. My brother did and it is widely regarded as the worst Van show ever. Apparently he was in a terrible mood and only played for 45 minutes before walking off the stage.

I believe I saw something yesterday saying that Aretha Franklin played there as well.

I saw SRV at UConn for Spring Weekend when I was there.

Smash Mouth is playing at UCF’s home opener #pow6r

Reaction Score
@UConnKev if you have any questions about areas to look DM me I know the area well.

But yeah mostly accurate takes here.

1. Obsessive about sports and often is very political
  2. Some spots of town are nicer than others, dependent on school district and surroundings (areas of Plantsville on MW Road, anything near Plainville, and near any super fund sites you should stay away)
  3. Downtown is pretty thriving nowadays with restaurants and bars (I’ll take my comment back on the food, I’m just picky)
  4. Stay away from Darling St. I believe they tried/trying to put low-income housing downtown somewhere. Not sure about the status of this since I moved out

Number 1 here is definitely true about the politics.

Reaction Score
You can always be proud of Rob Dibble though. My friend was buddies with Ricky Botallico, isn't he also from there?

Botallico is from Newington. I used to hang around with him quite a bit. He was good friends with the younger brother of a good friend of mine. He got signed on the hood of a car at a Twilight game. He was a catcher that pitched the 2nd half of a double header. A Phillies scout was there to look at someone else and signed him on the spot. He was in the All Star game something like 4-5 years later.

Reaction Score

Lived there from 2-26 in the same house on Pilgrim Lane. It’s alright town, nothing special but nothing terrible. A solid place to raise a family.

One thing I would point out is that I am still friend with a bunch from Southington. It’s weird, if I go to Southington person wedding the person had a ton of people from Southington. Core groups of friends seem to stay together long after unlike other towns. Probably just anecdotal.

Middletown is another place where our core group still gets together when we're back in town, many years later. Class reunions every five years too so maybe it's Connecticut thing.
Good restaurants, lots of housing options but no really high end if that's what you're looking for. River Highlands nearby.

Reaction Score

I live around the corner on Thistle Lane.

Reaction Score

I saw a decent show there with Public Image Limited, New Order and a third act I cannot recall - might have been Big Audio Dynamite.

Edit: just Googled it - it was the Sugarcubes

Reaction Score
It was back in the early 90s but I believe I saw Jackson Browne and Heart at LC (different shows).

Reaction Score
I was at that Heart show. It was great. Also saw The Miami Sound Machine there which was really, really good.

Reaction Score
It was back in the early 90s but I believe I saw Jackson Browne and Heart at LC (different shows).
I believe concerts were only held there for a couple of years during the time that Hershey owned LC. It was not a good concert arena, but they did have interesting shows.

DB24MTN

UConn 2019 NCAA Champions
Reaction Score
Currently reside in Rocky Hill but planning on moving in the next year or so.

Wife works at UConn Health in Farmington and I’m working in New Haven. I want my wife to be relatively close to her job and I don’t mind the commuting a longer distance.

I have a soon to be 3-year old and a baby due in December so we are hoping to get settled in before my oldest starts pre-school.

We drove around some parts of Southington and found some neighborhoods that we really liked but we don’t know too much about the area, school system, and the community as a whole. I know the town is big into sports which I do love but outside of that I don’t know much else.

Would love to hear some feedback, thanks!

Currently live there. Recently out of HS there (UConn student now) and thought they did a solid job preparing me for college. Community is strong, check out southington talks on facebook. Football is huge. Played a couple years before being down from sports due to concussions and dont regret a second of it.

Reaction Score

I thought you and papa @rich1122 hail from Ansonia?

Reaction Score
I have lived here the past 5 years after spending my first few years out of school in Hartford/West Hartford. I love it!

Great restaurants (new Mill is my fave, flair, nataz, viron rondo in Cheshire is 5 min from me). Also a bunch of parks, good school systems from what I’ve seen, and generally many nice areas of town- good for real estate growth.

Taxes are decent, but it’s still Connecticut.. I also really like how it’s centrally fairly close to everything. 20 min to new haven, 20 to Hartford, hour and 45 to Boston and NY

Good luck with your move!

Reaction Score
Lived in Southington for 31 years (minus college in MA). Grew up near Hatton Elementary. Wife and I have a house near the Aqua Turf (technically Plantsville). Having lived in both the eastern and southern part of town. I like the southern (Plantsville) part of town better. Easier access to both highways (84 & 691), and away from the congestion.
And you’re near Tipping Chair

Mister Wonderful

Even when I think I’m wrong, I’m right
Reaction Score
Lived in Southington for 31 years (minus college in MA). Grew up near Hatton Elementary. Wife and I have a house near the Aqua Turf (technically Plantsville). Having lived in both the eastern and southern part of town. I like the southern (Plantsville) part of town better. Easier access to both highways (84 & 691), and away from the congestion.
Do you know @ScottBonz ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom