Things you look for in Fall camp | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Things you look for in Fall camp

Reaction Score
I thought Bisack was gong to play a lot better than he showed in the spring game. He looks the part, throws a decent ball, but it doesn’t seem to come together.
I don’t get the love affair with Bisak. He is a walk-on who works hard but isn’t really that talented and is probably never going to see the field even in mop up duty now that the new red shirt rules are in effect. I thought he might get the Larson role from the early 2000s but now even that seems unlikely.

Reaction Score
I have a few connections with Lackawana and they were all pretty high on Pindell as a player. I think he is a legit FBS Level QB, but IMO the staff made a big mistake anointing him the starter last year and brushing the more established Shirreffs aside. Pindell not surprisingly struggled early and the staff felt they had to call on Shirreffs to salvage the season. The pressure of being the focal point of an offense for a team saddled with a pretty bad defense probably was too much for him early on.

The better move would have been to bring him along slowly behind Shireffs with the possibility of inserting him in games depending on injuries or the team's performance. In that scenario he would have got his feet wet at The FBS Level, gained experience, and still had a season to start. Pindell is a nice bridge QB/stop gap option for a team developing young talent. Hopefully he develops this offseason and comes back ready to go. Let Bisak be number 2 on the depth chart, but have Washington ready to go should Pindell get hurt or struggle. Let the new kid from GA Redshirt and compete for the job next year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have a few connections with Lackawana and they were all pretty high on Pindell as a player. I think he is a legit FBS Level QB, but IMO the staff made a big mistake anointing him the starter last year and brushing the more established Shirreffs aside. Pindell not surprisingly struggled early and the staff felt they had to call on Shirreffs to salvage the season. The pressure of being the focal point of an offense for a team saddled with a pretty bad defense probably was too much for him early on.

The better move would have been to bring him along slowly behind Shireffs with the possibility of inserting him in games depending on injuries or the team's performance. In that scenario he would have got his feet wet at The FBS Level, gained experience, and still had a season to start. Pindell is a nice bridge QB/stop gap option for a team developing young talent. Hopefully he develops this offseason and comes back ready to go. Let Bisak be number 2 on the depth chart, but have Washington ready to go should Pindell get hurt or struggle. Let the new kid from GA Redshirt and compete for the job next year.
Except this isn't a video game. My guess is that there were some very real and very human considerations that went into naming Pindell starter for the Holy Cross game.

And salvage the season? Even the most cautiously optimistic of UConn fan had to adjusted expectations after ECU and certainly after Memphis.

Reaction Score
Except this isn't a video game. My guess is that there were some very real and very human considerations that went into naming Pindell starter for the Holy Cross game.

And salvage the season? Even the most cautiously optimistic of UConn fan had to adjusted expectations after ECU and certainly after Memphis.

I don't know the details of Shirreffs health concerns but he still played quite a bit last year including against HC. Maybe he wasn't believed to be physically capable of starting the season? If so then I guess the staff had few options. From the outside looking in it played like a situation where a new OC was going to play his guy to start the season no matter what. When that guy struggled they turned to the previous starter. As for salvaging the season that might be a bit too strong, however I shudder to think how much worse things could have gone had the team lost to FCS Holy Cross in the home opener.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know the details of Shirreffs health concerns but he still played quite a bit last year including against HC. Maybe he wasn't believed to be physically capable of starting the season? If so then I guess the staff had few options. From the outside looking in it played like a situation where a new OC was going to play his guy to start the season no matter what. When that guy struggled they turned to the previous starter. As for salvaging the season that might be a bit too strong, however I shudder to think how much worse things could have gone had the team lost to FCS Holy Cross in the home opener.

Pindell's talent aside. Shirreffs' health was only part of it. He was a Diaco hold over. IMO, Edsall 2.0 wanted to move on and Pindell fit Lashlee's style better. He only asked Shirreffs to come back in order to feel comfortable about redshirting Washington and McAfee (i.e. the only viable backup was not a former walk-on with the same experience as me). Shirreffs had already graduated, was engaged, had a kid, and a snowball's chance on the shores of the River Styx of playing anywhere professionally. As far as physically capable to start the season? If he weren't, he would not have suited up, let alone played, in week 1. It was no secret that he was one hit away from never playing again. He was(is) a mensch for agreeing to come back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I say let all five QB’s compete for the job THIS year and let the best QB earn the spot. If the kid from GA does get red shirted than at least try to get him in four games so he can get some experience, even if it’s mop up time.

Reaction Score
Pindell is what he is. Pretty good and a bridge to Washington/McAfee/kid from Georgia one of whom will be the starter next year. On a pretty good team Pindell looks like a solid qb. One a not so good team he doesn’t. Basically I don’t think he gets you to the next level but he is not bad. I always thought his choice last year was a combination of Lashlee wanting him, Edsall giving Lashlee what he wanted and Sherriffs being a Diaco guy who wasn’t really planning to come back.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Pindell is what he is. Pretty good and a bridge to Washington/McAfee/kid from Georgia one of whom will be the starter next year. On a pretty good team Pindell looks like a solid qb. One a not so good team he doesn’t. Basically I don’t think he gets you to the next level but he is not bad. I always thought his choice last year was a combination of Lashlee wanting him, Edsall giving Lashlee what he wanted and Sherriffs being a Diaco guy who wasn’t really planning to come back.

At the very least, we can all agree Pindell is really fast. This will make him at least an okay QB.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
By this logic Williams could play QB.

He’s absolutely a better runner than Williams. I get your point, though. What I’m trying to say is that he doesn’t need to have a great arm to be sorta successful

Reaction Score
He’s absolutely a better runner than Williams. I get your point, though. What I’m trying to say is that he doesn’t need to have a great arm to be sorta successful
Ok, but you can move the ball better with a great/good passer who is an ok runner vs. a great/good runner who is an ok passer.

Reaction Score
Seems like Pindell played an ok game against the only Div 1 undefeated team at there place last year. Had the team down only 28-17 early in the 4th qtr (before UCF rolled for 3 straight touchdowns). Ran for almost 100 yards and passed for about 200. Not Mike Vick type numbers but against a top team at their place, not bad. To discount this game when discussing his potential doesn't seem right.
A reasonably serious and hard working kid, some serious snap experience last year; expecting good play from him at QB. Pindell's UCF game stats were not that far off Quinton Flowers average game stats for USF of 53% completion %, 90 yards per game rushing and 240 yards per game passing.

Reaction Score

Our defense was too bad to salvage anything last year

Reaction Score
I say let all five QB’s compete for the job THIS year and let the best QB earn the spot. If the kid from GA does get red shirted than at least try to get him in four games so he can get some experience, even if it’s mop up time.
I saw Washington and I really like his arm strength plus I still think is could be the starter if Pindell can’t get the job done

Reaction Score

After reading the below article it looks like your assessment is spot on. The first three weeks of August will be avery interesting. Will the practices be open to the public? Maybe we can get some “scouting reports” on the BY.

Good luck to all players and hoping for a successful and healthy season!

Top 10 AAC Newcomers to look out for in 2018

Reaction Score
The biggest problem with the offense is that every year for the last six or seven years the coaching and or coordinators have changed so no continuity for the players what so ever. Tough to build a foundation in which to build from when the schemes and techniques change from season to season.

Reaction Score
The Hail Mary sensation I got from that AAC Newcomer piece isn't enough to sell me on a true freshman as the starting QB. It's a terrible idea. I'll take Pindell and whoever else is ready. Give the young man a chance to adjust to a new situation.

Reaction Score
The Hail Mary sensation I got from that AAC Newcomer piece isn't enough to sell me on a true freshman as the starting QB. It's a terrible idea. I'll take Pindell and whoever else is ready. Give the young man a chance to adjust to a new situation.
The article did not say Krajewski will be the starting quarterback. In fact, it even states Pindell will probably start but that Krajewski should be ready to play if things go wrong. I still say QB2 is wide open and let the best man win. It’s refreshing knowing that we have good talent coming in this year.

Reaction Score
The article did not say Krajewski will be the starting quarterback. In fact, it even states Pindell will probably start but that Krajewski should be ready to play if things go wrong. I still say QB2 is wide open and let the best man win. It’s refreshing knowing that we have good talent coming in this year.
My vibe is that Pindell will be better than last year. We already know he has the legs. I hope, and expect, to see further progression in maturity, leadership, decision making, and short/medium passing efficiency. I don't have much hope for an improved long ball. I hope he proves me wrong there.

With all of that, there is no getting around how young overall we will be this year. I do expect to see marked improvement week to week as the young pups mature. However, I agree with the author's premise that our youth means we will struggle in the win column. My over/under for the season is three. Even so, I expect the coaching staff has targeted a bowl bid as a realistic stretch goal. If that becomes mathematically impossible, we will go into developmental mode and see many true freshmen, especially with the new "play in four games and still retain your redshirt" rule. We will see what Krajewski's got after that, if we haven't already.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom