OT: - Things Other Parents Let Their Kids Get Away With..... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Things Other Parents Let Their Kids Get Away With.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure that was annoying. If only there were these little portable black boxes that had a screen upon which the kids could watch something educational and entertaining at a low (reasonable) volume while frequenting your establishment for 45 minutes...
Or, again, people can just set standards of behavior for their kids. The kids will adapt and be the better for it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or, again, people can just set standards of behavior for their kids. The kids will adapt and be the better for it.
Or, again, there is not much difference between that and coloring on the back of the placemat.

(I thought you were bowing out of this conversation?)

CL82

Reaction Score
Or, again, there is not much difference between that and coloring on the back of the placemat.

(I thought you were bowing out of this conversation?)

Yeah, every time the notion that actually parenting your kid isn't an option gets put out a given, it rankles me a bit. That's BS and frankly lazy parenting.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah, every time the notion that actually parenting your kid isn't an option gets put out a given, it rankles me a bit. That's BS and frankly lazy parenting.
No one pulls you back in but you. Only you can choose to not (re)engage.

You know what annoys me about other parents? When they complain how they didn't have the same tools at a certain age that current parents have at their disposal. That said, the chances are better than 6/5 or pick'em that I will do the same thing in 10 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
No one pulls you back in but you. Only you can choose to not (re)engage.
You know what annoys me about other parents? When they complain how they didn't have the same tools at a certain age that current parents have at their disposal. That said, the chances are better than 6/5 or pick'em that I will do the same thing in 10 years.
Lol who is complaining about "not having the same tools"? Here's the thing though more options should mean things are easier right?

With due respect there is a lot of obtuse thinking (oxymoron?) in this thread. You read how other patrons and restaurant owners are all saying "hey we tolerate it but we'd really prefer if you'd control your kids" and your attitude seems pretty much identical to the kid who blamed his mom for not bringing his glove.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Lol who is complaining about "not having the same tools"? Here's the thing though more options should mean things are easier right?

With due respect there is a lot of obtuse thinking (oxymoron?) in this thread. You read how other patrons and restaurant owners are all saying "hey we tolerate it but we'd really prefer if you'd control your kids" and your attitude seems pretty much identical to the kid who blamed his mom for not bringing his glove.

If by "tolerate" means you get annoyed by kids sitting quietly in the booth, I'm comfortable with the level of your (again, not you in particular) annoyance.

CL82

Reaction Score
If by "tolerate" means you get annoyed by kids sitting quietly in the booth, I'm comfortable with the level of your (again, not you in particular) annoyance.
No tolerate means politely ignore kids running around and being loud. Personally I have no problem with kids being phone zombies. It's not the way the way I'd choose to do things but again we all raise our kids how we choose.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No tolerate means politely ignore kids running around and being loud. Personally I have no problem with kids being phone zombies. It's not the way the way I'd choose to do things but again we all raise our kids how we choose.
So what are we debating? The intent of my original response to @Austin316 was to convey that my (actually, our) goal is to prevent my kids bothering other patrons.

In fact, in these words: "If my choices are for him (particularly my 3 year old. My 6 year old is more than appropriate in public) to wail and scream and bother the entirety of the given restaurant's patrons or for him to watch Bubble Guppies off YouTube at a reasonable volume, I choose the latter every day of the week and twice on Sunday."

CL82

Reaction Score
So what are we debating? The intent of my original response to @Austin316 was to convey that my (actually, our) goal is to prevent my kids bothering other patrons.

In fact, in these words: "If my choices are for him (particularly my 3 year old. My 6 year old is more than appropriate in public) to wail and scream and bother the entirety of the given restaurant's patrons or for him to watch Bubble Guppies off YouTube at a reasonable volume, I choose the latter every day of the week and twice on Sunday."
Yep and my response was something like "those aren't the only two choices."

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yep and my response was something like "those aren't the only two choices."

You preceded that by saying, "namely, that [my] choices are let the kid do what he or she wants or let him or her have a tantrum."

I believe your interpretation was mistaken. These are not two choices. Rather, they are virtually one in the same. The 3 y.o. wants to throw a tantrum. They want to go table to table, bothering other patrons. Many times, others brush the first occurrence off and maybe a second time, but get increasingly annoyed with frequency. The distraction, whatever it may be, is a tool in preventing that.

CL82

Reaction Score
You preceded that by saying, "namely, that [my] choices are let the kid do what he or she wants or let him or her have a tantrum."

I believe your interpretation was mistaken. These are not two choices. Rather, they are virtually one in the same. The 3 y.o. wants to throw a tantrum. They want to go table to table, bothering other patrons. Many times, others brush the first occurrence off and maybe a second time, but get increasingly annoyed with frequency. The distraction, whatever it may be, is a tool in preventing that.
Kids want to do a lot of things. Part of parenting is teaching them to control their impulses.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Kids want to do a lot of things. Part of parenting is teaching them to control their impulses.
We use a tablet as a tool in said teaching. Parents before us used a coloring book (theoretically, speaking). I don't see much difference.

CL82

Reaction Score
We use a tablet as a tool in said teaching. Parents before us used a coloring book (theoretically, speaking). I don't see much difference.

Okay but that's still not a binary choice right? There are other ways to teach your child not to misbehave in public. It's not just i-lobotomy or screaming, right?

(Not sure why the coked up guy from Die Hard who dies because he was clueless and self absorbed was your choice of graphic, but the irony amused me.)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Okay but that's still not a binary choice right? There are other ways to teach your child not to misbehave in public. It's not just i-lobotomy or screaming, right?

(Not sure why the coked up guy from Die Hard who dies because he was clueless and self absorbed was your choice of graphic, but it amused me.)
One more time, and then I'm out...

You said, "namely, that [my] choices are let the kid do what he or she wants or let him or her have a tantrum."

I believe your interpretation was mistaken. I don't believe these are choice. They are virtually one in the same.

The GIF of Ellis was intended to convey, "What's the difference?" As in, "You use a gun (coloring book). I use a fountain pen (Tablet)." Glad it amused you. Whether I am clueless and self-absorbed to a fault is as of yet to be determined.

CL82

Reaction Score
One more time, and then I'm out...

You said, "namely, that [my] choices are let the kid do what he or she wants or let him or her have a tantrum."

I believe your interpretation was mistaken. I don't believe these are choice. They are virtually one in the same.

The GIF of Ellis was intended to convey, "What's the difference?" As in, "You use a gun (coloring book). I use a fountain pen (Tablet)." Glad it amused you. Whether I am clueless and self-absorbed to a fault is as of yet to be determined.
Meh.

"I want to play on your iphone. If you don't let me I will scream." Makes you wonder who's in charge, no?

But we're in a conversation that neither one of us is really interested in at this point. Be well see you around on the board.

Reaction Score
What is a polite “reasonable volume” for personal electronic devices in public?

If you’re at all unsure, consult noted etiquette expert Drew Magary’s explanation for useful guidance.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Meh.

"I want to play on your iphone. If you don't let me I will scream." Makes you wonder who's in charge, no?

But we're in a conversation that neither one of us is really interested in at this point. Be well see you around on the board.
That's not how it works in my family, but I can't be concerned (have no interest in, really) with what others assume. If they want to potentially ruin their own day by being annoyed, that's their choice.

See ya around, 82.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What is a polite “reasonable volume” for personal electronic devices in public?

If you’re at all unsure, consult noted etiquette expert Drew Magary’s explanation for useful guidance.

Does context matter or just source of the audio? 'Cause if two people are having the following type of conversation, It could be softer than a mouse fart. I'll take Paw Patrol for $1,000 there, Alex.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that sometimes there are things going on within the child that cause him or her to behave in a certain manner. Whether that is fixated to a screen, or throwing a tantrum. When these behaviors are caused by the child's neurological situation (i.e., autism, aspergers, etc) it can be impossible for you to know that as a stranger. Even as a friend, you may not know; as children on the spectrum often look "normal", until they don't. So please don't respond with "obviously i'm not talking about 'those' kids". Because you might be without knowing it.

Does this excuse every child? Absolutely not. But people need to be slower to judge and quicker to empathize.

Reaction Score
Ah, here's an interesting conundrum. My 18-month-old has the attention span you'd expect when we're out at restaurants.

Would you, a patron, prefer that I:
A) force her to stay in the high chair and whine for 40 minutes?
B) let her down to run around and say hi to everyone?

Those are my choices. Apparently someone is going to be annoyed either way. (FWIW, I always choose B.)
Hiring a sitter not an option?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think @CL82 and @Husky25 should gather their families and go out for a nice dinner together. Invite @Chin Diesel because he is a holy terror for starting this mess.

I said at the start of this thread, I was doing one pile on other people thread a week until UConn got a commit or other real basketball news.

I'm an awful human so I may do another one next week even though Cole committed. It's not a real commitment; the kid can't even play next year.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Saw this today at a restaurant and thought I'd share....

20190516_121239.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Or you can hire a babysitter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom