They're Back.. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

They're Back..

Reaction Score
I've watched tht game at Ruckers and it's a glorified all star game with VERY little defense, and tbh Allie, Sarah and Morgan have to show tht they can adapt to D-1 competition. I believe that they'll all do well within the Uconn system. And while I Love Caroline she only has a 30% career 3-pt avg with her best year being her sophomore year at 33%

While all freshmen have to "prove themselves" here are the recent ESPN No 1 recruits. Show me the one who failed to find success at the D1 level? (when healthy)
2020 - Bueckers
2021 - Fudd
2022 - Betts
2023 - Watkins

2024 - Strong

I don't think Ziebell was much more open at Rucker Park than she will be at first with UConn. And the hoop wasn't any bigger nor was the 3pt line closer. Six for six on a strange outdoor court ain't bad.

I don't make anyone a 100% lock and past experience is no guarantee of the future but I strongly suspect that UConn's freshman class (along with El Alfy) may well be the strongest UConn class coming in since the 1998 class.

Reaction Score
The extra possibility of making 3 straight free throws #2 seems to tilt the calculus to the 3-pt shot.
  • UConn seems to get around 11 FTMs / game; even if 8 FTMs were due to 2-pt attempts, 8 vs 3 is not so different from 2 vs 1 (2FGA vs 3FGA in UConn’s schemes);
  • UConn’s 2015-16 team shot 60% from 2 and 38% (not 40%) from 3, and that was optimal #2 (see below);
===

The binary decision to go for a two or for a three at a granular level is straightforward:
  • Note that not all two’s are the same level of difficulty (e.g. an uncontested layup is generally easier than an uncontested jumper);
  • also note that almost all three’s are the same level of difficulty, without regard to contestabilty;
  • for the same player, a step-back three is better than the closest long two;
  • KML would take an uncontested 3 vs driving to the basket;
  • Azzi for 3 is probably better than Ayanna for two at the foul line but not necessarily better than Sarah near the basket (the Pomeroy feature you highlighted); note that paint opportunities are not always available;
  • and so on.
With UConn’s versatile (all mostly 3-level) players in a read-and-react motion offense to find the best shot:
  • practices will tell the coaches the relative team efficiency in two’s vs. threes;
  • with such knowledge, coaches can set the percentages of threes vs twos, as a way to optimize the offense — generally 31-33% although it dipped (28%) in the 2009-10 team (Maya-Tina);
  • if UConn, as a (homogeneous — sort of) team can make two’s at a 60% rate #1, make free throws at an 80% rate, gets fouled with FTs awarded (mostly in the act of shooting a two) 10% of the time and gets fouled in the act of shooting a three 10% of the time, the team must be making three’s close to 38.00% #2, for such fact pattern to be optimal;
  • the fact-pattern above matches the 2015-16 team, with 64.6 FGA/game at 1.32 pts per FGA (modeled points of 85 pts / game vs 88 pts / game (actual));
  • This episodic optimization will apply to this hypothetical situation and mostly not necessarily apply to others.
For teams with similarly well-defined two’s vs three’s profile, the binary decision team optimization could be well-defined:
  • Teams with various credible 3-point threats but with a measly post offense will most often prefer the three to a two;
  • And vice versa (e.g. pre-Tehina Pao Pao/Tessa Johnson South Carolina years).
Another thread also attempted to discuss this.

#1 At 50% 2-pt accuracy, 3-pt accuracy must be close to 31% to be optimal. Counter intuitively, 31% is lower than 33%. The possibility of making 3 straight FT’s tilts the calculus towards the 3-point shot.

#2 Comparing Bayesian means of 2-pt attempts vs 3-pt attempts: made FGA with no foul, made FGA with foul, missed FGA with foul.
Your assumption about drawing fouls is way off. If there are 11 free throws, on average far more than eight of them will be drawn on two points shots. Take some time exploring Pomeroy stats.

Reaction Score
While its easy to get ultra excited about UConn's exceptional group of guards, suspect it will be the bigs, Jada/Ice and TBD/sub that will win them to the national championship. Unfortunately, there are some other great shooters out there and Huskies need to stop them, get rebounds, and make sure the competition can't clog up our 3-point game. Won't show up in the box score but with even an average performance by our bigs, our guards have the overall talent and X-factor (i.e. Paige) to go all the way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not sure Chen is going to strike fear as a three point shooter! She’s obviously very good and an outstanding addition to the team but she is definitely not in the same category as Paige, Azzi, Allie, and Caroline When it comes to shooting threes. I believe Ash may be better as well. I would also bet hat Sarah will likely be in the high 30s as well, perhaps even 40+. This team has talent everywhere! It’s really unbelievable!

I'm thinking that Kaitlyn will be more open than ever and can approach 40% this year. Here's hoping!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It’s true that Chen doesn’t scare anyone as a career 29% from 3. So why do so many people think Ducharme is elite from the arc at a career 30%? Bueckers is elite at 42% and Fudd is merely very good at 38%. Ducharme is not in that league and Ziebell needs to get in a college game first.

Because of injuries, my local girl Azzi has underperformed. She has the potential for 55/45/90.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Sarah....and that "other" newcomer:

Sarah and Jana September 2024.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds