They're Back.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

They're Back..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. Paige did average 20 in both her Freshman season (20.0) as well as last season (21.9). Pheesa hit for 20.4 as a sophomore and 20.9 as a senior.

Off the top of my head, I think the 20 ppg club consisted of Maya, Paige 2x, Phee 2x, Lou, maybe Megan, and maybe Kerry.

Reaction Score
Cuango- - - I was talking about this team having the POTENTIAL to score those points in a game!
I agree with you that with ALL the talent UConn WBB has on it's roster now the chances are slim that one player or several players will dominate!
But if we're facing a SoCar, ND, LSU, TX, etc. we have players who can take over and score in the high 20's or low 30's!
Agreed!

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if we have one player average 25+ points, much less two! I agree Paige and a healthy Azzi could score 20-25 points per game but probably not with this team. There’s just too much talent on this roster to allow anyone to be that dominant of a scorer! That kind of scoring requires a player to be basically without a conscience in addition to being a truly gifted scorer. I just don’t see that happening on any Geno Auriemma team much less one as talented throughout the roster as this one!
The only reason I might think otherwise -- and it's not like a demonstrative proof or anything -- is Paige's determination to win the NC this year. But even with that, if the rest of the team reveals the talent we think they have, she may well conclude that wielding her teammates as a sort of cudgel against opponents may be more effective than doing the bulk of the scoring herself.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am very interested in seeing how much Paige scores this year. She seems committed to looking for her shot more actively and the videos of her workouts over the summer seem to support that given that she is working on extending her range and shooting off the dribble. on the other hand, this is potentially an excellent shooting/scoring team with tremendous depth. That could limit Paige's minutes, particularly in less competitive games.

I am already excited for the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am very interested in seeing how much Paige scores this year. She seems committed to looking for her shot more actively and the videos of her workouts over the summer seem to support that given that she is working on extending her range and shooting off the dribble. on the other hand, this is potentially an excellent shooting/scoring team with tremendous depth. That could limit Paige's minutes, particularly in less competitive games.

There’s been a lot of discussion about Paige scoring more this year. If she does score more, I think it will be marginal at best. With hopefully a healthy team around her, there will be lots of scoring options for UConn, particularly against overmatched conference opponents.

What I do expect to see is Paige taking over vs tough OOC opponents as well as in the NCAA tournament. She has done so in the past, most notably in the SC game her freshman year and in the Elite 8 game vs NC State her sophomore season.

Even in Big Game situations, you can still expect Paige to drop a dime on a wide open teammate if the opponent tries to double team her. I expect UConn’s Bigs to get lots of open layups when Paige blows by her defender, forcing a defensive rotation. :)

Reaction Score
What I do expect to see is Paige taking over vs tough OOC opponents as well as in the NCAA tournament.
Exactly. Folks are right to think her average across the season won't be much higher -- maybe even a bit lower given the depth of the roster. But just as she's done every year, when the team needs 30+ from her, she'll deliver. She looks like she's prepared to do that even more often this time around.

Reaction Score

For me, it's not how much but when she scores. I'd like to see scoring immediately in quarter 1, last couple minutes of quarter 2, first couple minutes of quarter 3, and 4th quarter scoring in big games.

I'd like her to show her maturity and score early and set the tone rather than depending on heroics in the 4th. I'm not saying that heroics might be necessary in a big game or two but not in as many games as I've seen over her career.

In the semi recent past, things that come to mind with Maya, Stewie, and Napheesa was a scoring right out the gate to set the tone.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Exactly. Folks are right to think her average across the season won't be much higher -- maybe even a bit lower given the depth of the roster. But just as she's done every year, when the team needs 30+ from her, she'll deliver. She looks like she's prepared to do that even more often this time around.
yep.

she won't have to score more to defuse the 'passive' complaints. she simply has to stop giving away the excellent shot -- i mean like unguarded and in position at an easy range -- in the belief that it would be heavenly for a teammate to get a chance to score instead, while paige would enjoy a pleasant, fulfilling feeling herself (she would) if success results. paige has been prone to indulging this selfish -- not virtuous -- fantasy. when paige has an excellent shot, she should take it, dammit, because that's how adults play winning basketball in a college -- not playground -- game.

of course, she still can pile up assists, which she is really, really good it. she doesn't need to score more: she does need to take the shot when the defense fails to defend her, every time, and not ever squander the opportunity. that is being too passive. simply upping her scoring average won't do a thing to change that.

i think she knows that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Paige may score a little bit more average wise this season. Since she has a lot of talent around her, she will still be dropping dimes to her teammates.

Jana, Ice and Sarah for openers are going to be the recipients of those dimes. Her guard running mates are going to benefit from those kickout passes.

I will not be surprised if she takes over in close games. It's in her blood.

Let the season begin!!!!!!

Reaction Score
If everyone stays healthy imagine how UConn could spread the floor this season. Who do you guard? Who do you double team and leave open for the kick out? If UConn has crisp passing and good ball movement this season, it's going to be a very good one. I never predict pre-season, but I am excited.
As the season gets closer, I find myself being cautiously optimistic.
I’ve never actually seen Geno cut down the nets after a Husky NC.
Right now it looks like he has the ingredients for the return of the Greatest Show on Earth
Everybody stay healthy. They’re already hungry.
Come March I could witness Paige & her Flying Circus.
Fingers & toes crossed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Isn't it getting close to when the Big East announces the complete conference schedule? I believe it happened in mid-September last year, but could be mistaken...

Reaction Score
As the season gets closer, I find myself being cautiously optimistic.
I’ve never actually seen Geno cut down the nets after a Husky NC.
Right now it looks like he has the ingredients for the return of the Greatest Show on Earth
Everybody stay healthy. They’re already hungry.
Come March I could witness Paige & her Flying Circus.
Fingers & toes crossed.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
when paige has an excellent shot, she should take it, dammit, because that's how adults play winning basketball in a college -- not playground -- game.
Agreed.

She is not the only one. I was at the Sun Storm game on Sunday and I saw it there too. I see it in the NBA as well. Also WCBB.

What am I talking about? It is the aversion to taking the open foul line jumper. Should have a 75-80% make rate for most players. Players will instead drive into a black hole or kick it out for a contested three. I don't get it.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Agreed.

She is not the only one. I was at the Sun Storm game on Sunday and I saw it there too. I see it in the NBA as well. Also WCBB.

What am I talking about? It is the aversion to taking the open foul line jumper. Should have a 75-80% make rate for most players. Players will instead drive into a black hole or kick it out for a contested three. I don't get it.
Sometimes you have to go with what works. I was at the Sun/Storm game last night and NOTHING was working. At first Breezy was making them in the paint, but after the first quarter, nothing. The 3 point shooting was bad as usual, and even Mabrey couldn't hit anything. They went from scoring 94 on Sunday to 64 last night. I heard that the Sun and Storm are 1-2 in the league defensively and it showed. Both played great defense, but to score only 64 points as a pro team is ridiculous. Still, spending the night with my 12 year old grandson at a game was a highlight for me. Still can't figure out why Nika is a fixture on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom