There is good news for Syracuse. | The Boneyard

There is good news for Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Syracuse is en route to the ACC, so they won't have to entertain UConn or get spanked in Storrs anymore.

Instead of UConn (and Notre Dame, Louisville, Rutgers et al), they get to play Boston College, who managed to score 16 points in the first half of what must have been a finesse (not physical) game against North Carolina. Final, 77-46. (They must have had a grits promotion.)

Pitt will be there, too. Having just been massacred by Notre Dame, they will love renewing old friendships with BC, who the Flipper considers the big dog of New England collegiate sports.

Somehow I don't think we will miss some of these teams.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is en route to the ACC, so they won't have to entertain UConn or get spanked in Storrs anymore.

Instead of UConn (and Notre Dame, Louisville, Rutgers et al), they get to play Boston College, who managed to score 16 points in the first half of what must have been a finesse (not physical) game against North Carolina. Final, 77-46. (They must have had a grits promotion.)

Pitt will be there, too. Having just been massacred by Notre Dame, they will love renewing old friendships with BC, who the Flipper considers the big dog of New England collegiate sports.

Somehow I don't think we will miss some of these teams.

So who do we get in their stead? Boise St? San Diego State? Maybe Navy? Air Force? Pitt and Syracuse have, at least, been to the NCAA Tournament in the last five years. Their loss will be much more pronounced on the men's side. I, for one will miss these teams and will miss the Big East as it was, and, in my heart, wished it always could be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Boise State and SDS in the Big East. Maybe it should be called the TransAmerica Conference. That is going to make for some long travel days for the road team.

Reaction Score
Boise State and SDS in the Big East. Maybe is should be called the TransAmerica Conference. That is going to make for some long travel days for the road team.

Which usually leads to sorry basketball.

Reaction Score
It appears that some don't realize just how bad the future (or current state) of the Big East is in comparison to other power conferences. There is good news for Syracuse--it's joining a much better conference.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It appears that some don't realize just how bad the future (or current state) of the Big East is in comparison to other power conferences. There is good news for Syracuse--it's joining a much better conference.
Doesn't matter you can't change that and you treat traitors as traitors, not friends.

Reaction Score
Boise State and SDS in the Big East. Maybe it should be called the TransAmerica Conference. That is going to make for some long travel days for the road team.
Both teams are football members only. Still there will be long trips to schools like SMU and Houston.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The announcers said that Syracuse had the #6 recruiting class coming in next year. Anyone know who has signed with them?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The announcers said that Syracuse had the #6 recruiting class coming in next year. Anyone know who has signed with them?
Rankings are per HoopGurlz:
No. 13 Brianna Butler, Brooklyn NY
No 30 Brittney Sykes, Newark NJ
No. 73 Cornelia Fondren, Memphis TN
No. 87 Taylor Ford, NY NY
Pachiyanna Roberts, Power Springs GA

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
So who do we get in their stead? Boise St? San Diego State? Maybe Navy? Air Force? Pitt and Syracuse have, at least, been to the NCAA Tournament in the last five years. Their loss will be much more pronounced on the men's side. I, for one will miss these teams and will miss the Big East as it was, and, in my heart, wished it always could be.
Um, do a little research before you diss the teams joining us. Try Houston, SMU and UCF for all sports. SDSU, Boise and Navy are for Football only.
And imho the schools added can't be much worse than the ones leaving. Pitt, Cuse, have had little relevance to college athletics for a long time (except Cuse men) and WVU has had mild success.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Appreciate that, Nan.

Might Sykes be related to April of Rutgers fame? April is from Louisiana [I think] so probably not.
Isn't there another Brianna Butler...from Philly....a top level kid?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Both teams are football members only. Still there will be long trips to schools like SMU and Houston.
But since we will probably be recruiting down there, it's well worth the trip.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Not sure where you make that qualitative jump. The ACC is top heavy in both bballs and stinks in football. The BE will remain the best bball conference top to bottom bar none and the chances of UCF, UH and SMU being able to at least equal Cuse is pretty high.

Reaction Score
But since we will probably be recruiting down there, it's well worth the trip.
True. Lots of quality basketball players in the Houston and Dallas areas.

Reaction Score

I had not thought of Syracuse's defection in terms of actually joining a better conference, but it is highly probable. However, I am with Icebear on the traitor angle. Traitors are usually motivated by ideology and/or greed. It would be safe to throw out ideology in this case.

Reaction Score
Um, do a little research before you diss the teams joining us. Try Houston, SMU and UCF for all sports. SDSU, Boise and Navy are for Football only.
And imho the schools added can't be much worse than the ones leaving. Pitt, Cuse, have had little relevance to college athletics for a long time (except Cuse men) and WVU has had mild success.

You're right; Not that a little research would have changed my opinion. If the "all sports" schools are slipped into my narrative, does anything change as far as the quality of the opponensts coming into the Big East as it pertains to WBB?

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
We were lucky with the weather this year in Syracuse - big snow country usually!

Drumguy

Reaction Score
You're right; Not that a little research would have changed my opinion. If the "all sports" schools are slipped into my narrative, does anything change as far as the quality of the opponensts coming into the Big East as it pertains to WBB?
Honestly who knows. I'm just not into all is doom and gloom since 3 mediocre schools are leaving! Not that I woldn't have voted to keep all 3, it's just that we're not losing the creme de la creme here.

On top of that, I'd even posit that Houston, Dallas and Orlando?(UCF) are easier to get to then Pitt, Cuse and anywhere in WV. Could be less travel time overall.

Reaction Score
How would we feel if one day UConn joins the ACC. I don't think this is not outside the realm of possibility.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
San Diego State is certainly a solid WCBB program. certainly better than either Quse or Pitt over the past several years. but neither BSU or SDSU will be playing hoops. Houston, SMU, and UCF are the teams that will be joining us in hoops and football (all sports).

Houston is just really bad. i think they replace Seton Hall and Cinci at the bottom of the BE. but UCF and SMU are ok. probably in the Providence, USF range. we will see if their recruiting upticks due to being in the BE now... still, agree that all 3 will end up in the lower half of the new big east...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Houston and SMU are great trips for UCONN. Houston and Dallas are talent-rich cities.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I had not thought of Syracuse's defection in terms of actually joining a better conference, but it is highly probable. However, I am with Icebear on the traitor angle. Traitors are usually motivated by ideology and/or greed. It would be safe to throw out ideology in this case.

But let's keep in mind that wbb is not driving the bus. As Mike Carey said when asked if his opinion was sought regarding the conference move, "Ha!!!"

Reaction Score
Just to quantify things in some fashion, the Sagarin rankings
are as follows:

Departing members:
WVa 40
Cuse 66
Pitt 158

Joining members:
SMU 165
UCF 195
Houston 329

Clearly the quality of the Big East (Women's) will be diminished at
least initially.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just to quantify things in some fashion, the Sagarin rankings
are as follows:

Departing members:
WVa 40
Cuse 66
Pitt 158

Joining members:
SMU 165
UCF 195
Houston 329

Clearly the quality of the Big East (Women's) will be diminished at
least initially.

Horrible impact for the future on Big East Women's basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom