The Worst Possible Out Come | The Boneyard

The Worst Possible Out Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It UCONN and the rest of the football schools are sticking with ND and the basketball only schools then they deserve mid-major status. There is no way they can be that stupid, can they????

Reaction Score
If the ACC ain't taking us and the B1G ain't taking us, what other option is there?

Reaction Score
TOTALLY agree with your post Ctballfan!!! If this is the stability Herbst is talking about I'm not reall impressed with her athletic vision!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can you walk me through how dumping a bunch of high level basketball programs in big cities with lots of historical success will make our football team better? I am all ears.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can you walk me through how dumping a bunch of high level basketball programs in big cities with lots of historical success will make our football team better? I am all ears.

lol. It never ceases to amaze me how many morons on the Boneyard think the football side of things are hindered by having the basketball schools under the Big East Banner.

Reaction Score
UConn has no choice but to stay put in a conference run by a marionette if the Big 10 and the ACC doesn't want it - which is what I suspected all along. If nothing else, I hope they drop kick that thead out the door and appoint a real conference leader.

Reaction Score
The reason we are where we are today is because back when the first raid took place the leaders of the BE didn't have the stomach to do what was needed to be done. SPLIT FROM BASKETBALL SCHOOLS!!!!! Why do you think the BE is the weakest conference in the country? The PC's, St John's, Seton Hall's, Geogetown, Villanova and Depauls of the world have no business being in a conference with the Football schools. They have nothing in common, So lets not fix the problem lets just keep pretending were one big happy family. Stick your head in the sand and carry on men!!!!!

Reaction Score
It has to do with how athletic departments are run and how much it costs to run them. Do you think St John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, PC and DePaul have the same expenses as UConn, WVU, or Louisville? Not a chance...those schools don't even have football teams! And Georgetown has a D1AA team that gives ZERO scholarships, they aren't even at tne FCS level! Nova comes the closest with a FCS program..,and they wanted in at the football meeting! They are on 2 different planets this way...and what is best for those schools isn't gonna work for the football schools! Face it it is time for us to go our seperate ways and negotiate tv contracts from 1 angle NOT 2!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The reason we are where we are today is because back when the first raid took place the leaders of the BE didn't have the stomach to do what was needed to be done. SPLIT FROM BASKETBALL SCHOOLS!!!!! Why do you think the BE is the weakest conference in the country? The PC's, St John's, Seton Hall's, Geogetown, Villanova and Depauls of the world have no business being in a conference with the Football schools. They have nothing in common, So lets not fix the problem lets just keep pretending were one big happy family. Stick your head in the sand and carry on men!!!!!

Seriously, shut the up. You are clearly in over your head here if you think the basketball schools are the problem here. Let the adults speak and go back to the childrens table.

Reaction Score
If the ACC ain't taking us and the B1G ain't taking us, what other option is there?
I agree. If there are no options right now, what the hell are we supposed to do? Pretty obvious that BCU doesn't want us because they fear us.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It has to do with how athletic departments are run and how much it costs to run them. Do you think St John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, and DePaul have rhe same expenses as UConn, WVU, or Louisville? Not a chance...those schools don't even have football teams! And Georgetown has a D1AA team that gives ZERO scholarships, they aren't even at tne FCS level! Nova comes the closest with a FCS program..,and they wanted in at the football meeting! They are on 2 different planets this way...and what is best for tgphose schools isn't gonna work for the football schools!

No kidding, basketball teams are cheaper to run then football teams?

So where is your point at how the basketball schools will lower our value in a potential tv contract? I must have missed it.

Reaction Score
So Big East football is weak because of Providence, Marquette, Depaul, and other programs that don't field football teams?

huh?

And what you guys really believe is that Pitt/Cuse aren't leaving an all sports conference comprised of them, plus UConn, WVU, Ville, Cincy, USF, TCU, and Rutgers because it's so much more valuable without the basketball schools?

What possible basis can you have for this opinion?

Will anyone who blames the basketball schools ever explain what it was the basketball schools did to prevent the football schools from improving the conference?

Reaction Score
You can always tell a man who can't back up his argument with facts when he has to fall back to swearing and vulgarity. Nice. Expand your your vocabulary, try reading books.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The basketball schools are not the problem but the master plan (for expanding football membership) of upgrading Villanova (with an 18k stadium where they would be a secondary tenant) played an enormous role in where we are now.

Once again, if having these schools (who don't play football) is so beneficial, why does no other major conference do this?

We are very limited in what we can do by being as large as we are in all other sports and this has been exacerbated by the fact that over the past two decades most of the catholic members have had at least one extended stretch where they contributed nothing to the conference while happily taking their share of revenues.

One very telling difference between the BE and our closest competitor conference is that they were able to act quickly and decisively in adding members (when they were not in dire need of additional football membership). We went through a couple of years of gyrations just to get a vote that allowed us to pursue additional members (and it took the threat of the conference collapsing the prior summer just for that vote). After the vote was tallied, we were basically told that (after adding TCU) the only place to look for the second addition was Nova (and they tried to sell the 18k soccer stadium as some quality venue).

Reaction Score
i'd sleep better in a conference w/ Rutgirls, WVU, USF, the 'ville & Cinci

i'll have no problem adding UCF, which a few years from now will be absolutely BCS-worthy (a la USF)

plus TCU if they're still coming

that's a representative fb conference, which will be considered an improvement over the current alignment (for quality of fb purposes)

of course additions beyond that will have to be considered, but i'm cool w/ it

have zero interest in being beholden to the tobacco road crowd, thanx but no thanx 2 the nACC

i'd rather stand proud next to the rest of the BIG east misfits, w/ WVU leading the way & become a renegade conference looking to take down the establishment

this fete compli where the media keeps pumping (4) 16 team super-conferences is just too neat & clean to work, the egos are just too BIG to fit

Reaction Score
Once again, if having these schools (who don't play football) is so beneficial, why does no other major conference do this?

businesslawyer gave you a succinct and logical answer in another thread.

Reaction Score
Why do you guys think that Basketball schools let TCU in with limited voting rights...and Nova was pushed as 10th member? So hoops schools like St John's and their President Fr Harrington didn't lose hand over schools they think should stand in the corner, Keep quiet and do what they are told. I didn't make this up, I talked about this prevailing attitude at depth with an NYC based orthopedic surgeon who is part of St John's athletics medical staff.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You can always tell a man who can't back up his argument with facts when he has to fall back to swearing and vulgarity. Nice. Expand your your vocabulary, try reading books.

No, it's just that we've heard that same idiotic argument on the Boneyard time and time again. It's just not true! WTF do you people not understand??

The Big East was raided because it's football schools have the least cache of any other conference and the long term viability of the conference has always been in question because of this. The Big East football programs that left did so to have security for their program, because if they didn't leave, another program would have left. If the Big East had gotten together and compromised to a ridiculously high exit fee this may have all have been prevented.

What didn't have any impact on this whatsoever was having 8 basketball schools located in large markets, many of which are national programs. That was only an added bonus for the conference come contract negotiations.

Is that clear enough for you?

Reaction Score
Seriously, shut the up. You are clearly in over your head here if you think the basketball schools are the problem here. Let the adults speak and go back to the childrens table.
They are the problem. I don't think Marinatto cares about anything that's happened in the past 10 days, just like when Tranghese didn't give a sh...it 5 years ago. Face facts, Providence College founded and still runs the Big East purely as a showcase and money making venture for college basketball. Yeah, pay lip service to the football schools, throw'm a bone like TCU, but face facts 5 premier football programs have left the league since 2006. Do you think it's coincidence that two of the best coaches in the game today, Rick Barnes and Rick Pitino coached at Providence or that Billy Donovan played there? Marinatto and Tranghese couldn't care less about the problems facing UCONN with respect to it's football program with what's been happening the past 2 weeks.

Reaction Score

i'll have no problem adding UCF, which a few years from now will be absolutely BCS-worthy (a la USF)

that's a representative fb conference, which will be considered an improvement over the current alignment (for quality of fb purposes)

have zero interest in being beholden to the tobacco road crowd, thanx but no thanx 2 the nACC

i'd rather stand proud next to the rest of the BIG east misfits, w/ WVU leading the way & become a renegade conference looking to take down the establishment

So you'd rather be a non-AQ program in a conference where any school will leave at the first opportunity?

HUH?

We are already beholden to the tobacco road crowd, and we're not even reaping the benefits.

Reaction Score
UCF is better than more than half the BCS schools today. They're BCS worthy now.

this fete compli where the media keeps pumping (4) 16 team super-conferences is just too neat & clean to work, the egos are just too BIG to fit

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask looks like we are the renegade now! Latest thread on this board said we didn't commit to staying in BE!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
businesslawyer gave you a succinct and logical answer in another thread.
No, he said that the ACC was the only conference that geographically could take BE catholic schools.

He was wrong in his geography and he left out the fact that there are non BE, non football schools with strong basketball traditions yet no major conference anywhere has looked into adding any of these schools.

If it is such a great idea someone else would have tried it. This is an industry of followers. One conference (the SEC) expands to twelve and has a championship game and within a few years another does the same, within a decade there is a third and slightly more than a half dozen years later two more pop up (at the cost of one). Soneone would have followed suit on football optional membership if it was a good idea. If you believe this is wrong, argue it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom