The World Cup Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The World Cup Thread

Reaction Score
NGA-ARG penalty: Not entirely unreasonable in the box, yet possible reaction to FIFA putting refs on call regarding holding/gridiron tackles post ENG-PAN ? ? ?

Reaction Score
Argentina dodge the huge bullet with a 86th minute game winner coupled with an Iceland loss.

Reaction Score
Arg-France. Two underperforming teams square off Saturday. I think France has a better midfield and should pull through

Reaction Score
NGA-ARG penalty: Not entirely unreasonable in the box, yet possible reaction to FIFA putting refs on call regarding holding/gridiron tackles post ENG-PAN ? ? ?

Contact was almost entirely initiated by the Nigerian player.

Reaction Score
There could be a Messi v Ronaldo quarterfinal. Now come on.... who doesn’t want that.... a little twist on El Classico.

Reaction Score
Contact was almost entirely initiated by the Nigerian player.
"almost entirely"? "initiated by the Nigerian player"? Really?

Headed toward's Argentina's goal, what I still see is both Marscherano and his Nigerian opponent appeared to be jointly moving together as Marscherano attempted to step in, put on the brakes and his arms wrap 'round the Nigerian as the latter's progress continues and he pushes off. Debatable call, yes, but "Contact was almost entirely initiated by the Nigerian player" appears similarly questionable.

Edited to fix video:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd like to watch the Mexico v. Sweden game, but I hate the announcers so much I'll put on Germany v. Korea. I can't stand the play-by-play guy. Everything is based and/or forced. He's like the John Sterling of soccer. I'm sure I insulted a soccer legend, but ugggh.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, he stinks. But they pretty much all stink. The only one I give a pass to is JP but that's more due to his long tradition of existence. Maybe try Telemundo?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What a crazy morning! Sweden had lots of missed chances on the first half and they laid the hammer on the second half. After that third goal I bet a lot of Mexican fans were sweating it out. Had Germany scored, and not allowed two late goals to Steven Krajewski, Mexico would have been knocked out! Crazy!

Second round of games will be just as good, hopefully. It's possible Brazil gets knocked out too.

Only group after that to watch is H.

In the end, it's going to be an all Europe/South American knock out round. Only Mexico and one of Japan/Senegal will be the non European or South American team. Pretty nuts.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he stinks. But they pretty much all stink. The only one I give a pass to is JP but that's more due to his long tradition of existence. Maybe try Telemundo?

I like JP Dellacamera. He always is well prepared. He’s been calling games since at least the 1990 WC qualifying campaign.

Reaction Score
I'd like to watch the Mexico v. Sweden game, but I hate the announcers so much I'll put on Germany v. Korea. I can't stand the play-by-play guy.
Consider turning the volume off, skipping Fox broadcasts, Telemundo, or accessing other global networks

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So one side of the bracket is stacked with powerhouse teams and tomorrow could add Belgium/England and possibly Colombia. Wow!! Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina, France, Brazil, and Mexico already there....wow!

Reaction Score
Spain is sitting over on their side of the bracket... giggling. Their first ‘major’ test will be in the semi-final.... maybe.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spain is sitting over on their side of the bracket... giggling. Their first ‘major’ test will be in the semi-final.... maybe.
The way they are playing every game is a test.

Reaction Score
Can def see Croatia moving to the Final 4. Modric and Rakitic is a deadly CM combo.

Colombia-England will be an absolute burner, depending on James' health

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some good TV tomorrow as I sit in the AC and avoid the heat.
France vs Argentina at 10:00 and Uraguay vs Portugal at 2:00

Reaction Score
Ya, I’ll be watching France v Argentina at home in the morning, walk down the street to the beach for a few hours and watch the first half of Uruguay v Portugal on my Phone (from the beach). Walk home at half-time, watch the second half at the house. Then a shower, disco nap, and we go out Saturday night..... rinse and repeat Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Celebrate our independance Wednesday; get stuff done around the house Thursday, then back to the original plan for the quarter-finals on Friday & Saturday. The wife is onboard too (I out kicked my coverage in the marriage department).

Happy Birthday America.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Ya, I’ll be watching France v Argentina at home in the morning, walk down the street to the beach for a few hours and watch the first half of Uruguay v Portugal on my Phone (from the beach). Walk home at half-time, watch the second half at the house. Then a shower, disco nap, and we go out Saturday night..... rinse and repeat Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Celebrate our independance Wednesday; get stuff done around the house Thursday, then back to the original plan for the quarter-finals on Friday & Saturday. The wife is onboard too (I out kicked my coverage in the marriage department).

Happy Birthday America.
Very envious. Mostly because I don't get service on our beach so I can't watch the games while we're there this weekend! :D

My little ones make it harder to have that time too!!

Happy knockout round!

Reaction Score
The most impressive thing about that Cavani goal was the switch to Suarez and the subsequent run to set himself up. That switch was on a rope.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
The most impressive thing about that Cavani goal was the switch to Suarez and the subsequent run to set himself up. That switch was on a rope.
You're referring to his second goal? It was sick. You know a player has scored a ridiculous goal when the color guy just goes, "whoa" and is then silent. That's basically what Stu Holden did after that shot. It was ridiculously good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom