The World Cup Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The World Cup Thread

Reaction Score
Still not sold that it'll be enjoyable to watch on Fox. If there was one complaint, that would be it. I'll miss ESPN and Ian Darke calling games.

I've been watching the games on mute, but I just tuned in and see both Ian Wright and Guus Hiddink in the studio- "Nice," I'm thinking.

Then Alexi Lalas starts talking :(

Reaction Score
I've been watching the games on mute, but I just tuned in and see both Ian Wright and Guus Hiddink in the studio- "Nice," I'm thinking.

Then Alexi Lalas starts talking :(

Unbelievable that he is in there with those two.

Telemundo can’t be worse.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Home sick today so got to catch the games. Egypt was a tough luck loser. They shut Uruguay down for most of game but committed some dumb fouls at end of game, one ending in game winner.

Fell asleep during Iran game but woke up to see On go winner.

This Spain-Portugal game is a whole different level. Really good. Renaldo is playing out of his mind but Spain's passing is just insane.

Reaction Score
For those who think Lionel Messi is the best player in the world over the last few years -- LMAO. Most entertaining and fun to watch -- absolutely. But actually the best? Talk to me when he can accomplish a third as much with an Argentina team of international all-stars as Renaldo can do with Portugal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For those who think Lionel Messi is the best player in the world over the last few years -- LMAO. Most entertaining and fun to watch -- absolutely. But actually the best? Talk to me when he can accomplish a third as much with an Argentina team of international all-stars as Renaldo can do with Portugal.
Well Messi IS the best (it's close though). And I hate Ronaldo (what an @ss), HOWEVER, he was fantastic today. What an idiot Pique was giving that foul away right there near the end of the game. :mad: You just knew what was gonna happen.

Game definitely lived up to the hype. :D This WC is starting out pretty good so far.

Reaction Score
Well Messi IS the best (it's close though). And I hate Ronaldo (what an @ss), HOWEVER, he was fantastic today. What an idiot Pique was giving that foul away right there near the end of the game. :mad: You just knew what was gonna happen.

Game definitely lived up to the hype. :D This WC is starting out pretty good so far.

See, it's not close. In La Liga its close. But does Messi make his international teammates better? Because Renaldo (whom I like no better than you) simply pulls off his jersey and shows you a big S.

Reaction Score
Who is this "Renaldo" you guys keep speaking of? ;)

That second goal should never have found the net, but "shooters shoot".

I don't know that Ronaldo makes his teammates any better. He obviously makes his team better, but so does Messi. Don't forget Portugal went on to score/win the Euro championship AFTER he left with an injury. And for all the (well-deserved) praise he'll get for today, he and his team had consistently under-performed in 2 of the last 3 world cups.

So, I think we need to wait until this WC is over to have the conversation about who is the best. Because it's Harry Kane.

(kidding)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Talk to me when he can accomplish a third as much with an Argentina team of international all-stars as Renaldo can do with Portugal.

Portugal - 2002, didn't make it out of the group stage, 2006 - 4th place,
2010 - round of 16, 2014, didn't make it out of the group stage.

Argentina - 2002, didn't make it out of the group stage. then went quarterfinals, quarterfinals, runners-up.

Advantage - Argentina

Reaction Score
Portugal - 2002, didn't make it out of the group stage, 2006 - 4th place,
2010 - round of 16, 2014, didn't make it out of the group stage.

Argentina - 2002, didn't make it out of the group stage. then went quarterfinals, quarterfinals, runners-up.

Advantage - Argentina

Argentina and Portugal are not comparable bases to compare without weighting. Messi has Aguero and Higuin up front with him. Renaldo is it. Argentina won World Cups before Renaldo got there. Has Portugal?

Reaction Score

Yeah but they never won a match at the Euros inside of regulation time.

I think they are equally great.

Reaction Score
Argentina and Portugal are not comparable bases to compare without weighting. Messi has Aguero and Higuin up front with him. Renaldo is it. Argentina won World Cups before Renaldo got there. Has Portugal?

Argentina made it to the finals and lost in extra time.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
That free kick by Renaldo was just insane....that game was unreal

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My point is Portugal has flamed out all but once in the World Cup with Ronaldo. Including a loss and a lucky draw against the US. So using their “accomplishments” in the World Cup is not a great way to draw comparisons. Accomplishing “a third” as much as portugal equates to not even qualifying.

Reaction Score
Iceland puts 11 behind the ball but if Argentina keeps this up they might not get out of the group

Good point. I'm curious how Argentina will look against the next two opponents.

Messi is having a really subpar game-missed PK, dispossessed numerous times, bad passes, no pace. He just looks gassed out there.

Reaction Score
Iceland puts 11 behind the ball but if Argentina keeps this up they might not get out of the group

Iceland is always very organized. They could have done that to anyone today.

Argentina seems to be slow starters.

Reaction Score
Good point. I'm curious how Argentina will look against the next two opponents.

Messi is having a really subpar game-missed PK, dispossessed numerous times, bad passes, no pace. He just looks gassed out there.

He needs to get on the same PEDs as Ronaldo.

Reaction Score
Great games so far. Though I slept through France. One more on deck.

VAR has been a success IMO. They are taking far less than football and basketball and are getting the calls right.

Messi needs to step up, but that Icelandic defense is incredible

Reaction Score
Iceland is going to frustrate teams. They blocked something like 10+ shots because they usually kept 8 or 9 (not counting the keeper) in their own box. Frustrating team to play. They are super organized, play really well together, and when they broke on the counter-attack.... the really went balls out.
Argentina will be fine, win out, and win their group.

Reaction Score
I caught the last 30 minutes of France/Australia, Les Bleus did not look good at all. They were lucky to get the 3 points. Where Iceland looks like a team, France looks like an all star team that never played with each other before. Not very organized.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Wtf is this?!? I appreciate the VW commercials playing on the lack of a US Team and trying to get us to support their country but this is ridiculous. Donovan has been in the middle of this rivalry forever and yet he tweets this??

Reaction Score
Wtf is this?!? I appreciate the VW commercials playing on the lack of a US Team and trying to get us to support their country but this is ridiculous. Donovan has been in the middle of this rivalry forever and yet he tweets this??

To be expected from that cheesedick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom