The World Cup Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The World Cup Thread

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Without the US, I only have a passing (casual, at best) interest in the World Cup this time around. I'll probably start watching more closely toward the end of group play, after some story lines emerge.

Reaction Score
Without the US, I only have a passing (casual, at best) interest in the World Cup this time around. I'll probably start watching more closely toward the end of group play, after some story lines emerge.

I would give the group stage a shot. Follow a cheeky underdog like Egypt or Iceland.

Plus on Wednesday morning we’ll find out who will hosts the 2026 WC.

Reaction Score
Excluding mexico, russya and australia none of which will win and cannot be supported, going with upsets over any non western European and non South American nation. Any nation and anything fifa supports enthusiastically opposed.

Reaction Score

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So Fox dropped $1 billion to get the rights and doesn't see it cost effective to send commentators to the WC??? Unreal....

Watching some games and knowing the commentators aren't there is very obvious. Their responses are delayed slightly and it just isn't enjoyable. It's why I don't watch much on beIN. They do the same thing with their commentators. However, in beIN's case, I understand why they do it. For Fox, this was your huge get. Why ignore it?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
For: Poland and Peru
Interesting story: Egypt, Senegal
Against: Mexico

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the players were wanting to keep him around.

v7g6u9t.jpg

Reaction Score
I missed the first goal but Saudi Arabia is outclassed. The stadium seems pretty dead too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know the US is now in between generations, and as bad as the US looked in qualifying, Saudi Arabia really stinks.
And Russia is not good.

Reaction Score
Your point -- that the major soccer powers could send out their 4th and 5th teams and still be favored over us -- is certainly accurate, although it begs the question about why, over the last 20 years, our results have been as good as they have overall.

But leave Sissoko off the list. He couldn't walk into the starting lineup for anyone. It's truly amazing how someone with his physical skills can contribute so little to helping a team win.
Sissoko was probably France’s best player in the Euros, he plays a lot better for country than club. He could walk, run, crab walk, waltz, etc. into our lineup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Russia is not good.
It's so hard to tell if a team is good or bad in blowout games. I don't think Russia looked like world beaters, but they had more skill than I thought they would. I thought they'd play a more physical game. I just don't know how they'll do against other teams, but their low ranking has to be for a reason.

I can say that Saudi Arabia is horrible. Small, slow and unskilled with a bad goalie. Other than those flaws they looked great.

I was watching intermittently, and it didn't matter, but it definitely looked like the refs wanted to help the home team get off to a good start. I saw at least three offsides that weren't called. Commentators didn't even bring it up. I just assume everything having to do with FIFA is fixed, especially in these early games. I can totally see a FIFA executive say "What's the big deal. It's not like Saudi Arabia was going to win the Cup. Why not give the home fans what they want?"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was watching intermittently, and it didn't matter, but it definitely looked like the refs wanted to help the home team get off to a good start. I saw at least three offsides that weren't called.
They've instructed the ARs to keep their flags down if they think it's close and allow VAR to be used if necessary. They may be taking that instruction a bit too far.

Reaction Score
It's so hard to tell if a team is good or bad in blowout games. I don't think Russia looked like world beaters, but they had more skill than I thought they would. I thought they'd play a more physical game. I just don't know how they'll do against other teams, but their low ranking has to be for a reason.

I can say that Saudi Arabia is horrible. Small, slow and unskilled with a bad goalie. Other than those flaws they looked great.

I was watching intermittently, and it didn't matter, but it definitely looked like the refs wanted to help the home team get off to a good start. I saw at least three offsides that weren't called. Commentators didn't even bring it up. I just assume everything having to do with FIFA is fixed, especially in these early games. I can totally see a FIFA executive say "What's the big deal. It's not like Saudi Arabia was going to win the Cup. Why not give the home fans what they want?"

By Russia standards, this Russia team is historically bad. I bet they will get through to the next round though.

Reaction Score
No, nothing ironic about supporting Egypt because you hate corruption.
Not at all nor in most participating nations, yet the Russian version was clearly specified. :rolleyes: Alas, personal exp with the russya version influences things and it'd be good to see Salah play well and possibly an extra game.

Reaction Score
I think Egypt can still get out of the group. They should be able to handle Saudi Arabia and Russia might be a chore simply because they are the host nation. Russia will have to play out of their minds to beat Uruguay.

Spain and Portugal should be an awesome match. Too bad I am at work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom