The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to see Shea get more time back there. I am also on board with shelving Altidore.

I am happy with Evans and Garza as the fullbacks. Fabian Johnson should move up to left mid. Zardes needs to be a forward.

I think the lineup against Haiti will look a bit different.

Reaction Score
I am happy with Evans and Garza as the fullbacks. Fabian Johnson should move up to left mid. Zardes needs to be a forward.

I think the lineup against Haiti will look a bit different.

I could live with that, move Zardes up, put Altidore on the bench, would also like to see Zusi get more time.

Reaction Score
I could live with that, move Zardes up, put Altidore on the bench, would also like to see Zusi get more time.

Zusi had a craptastic performance against Guatemala. Which was weird because he is coming back into form after an injury filled spring. He was ok coming off the bench but that last backpass to Yedlin was either a bad idea or Yedlin messed it up pretty bad. Either way we need him to get back into the flow because we really only have one true wide midfielder in Johnson and JK wants him at fullback.

Reaction Score
that last back pass to Yedlin was either a bad idea or Yedlin messed it up pretty bad.
That back pass woke up my wife and dogs...and possibly my neighbors.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Don't want to overanalyze this. We scored more than the other team. Zardes and Yedlin aren't midfielders. Both have really suspect defensive skills. Brooks and Alvarado are really young. Chandler is just not good. That might be the best team we face in the Group phase maybe the best we'll face until the final or get knocked out.

JK can't play Zardes, Beckermann, Alvarado, Brooks, and Chandler all at the same time. That group is a reverse possession magnet.

Yedlin did fine considering he spent half the match covering for Chandler. That dude can't run at all.

In spite of the goals, I'm starting to wonder if Dempsey had a problem playing with this group. He expects the ball but rarely makes himself available unless Bradley is putting a dart right at him. He missed a bunch of connections. Though the passing accuracy was beyond terrible overall.

Zardes isn't a 90 minute player, and not yet a midfielder. Jozy needs to go. He blows too many chances for a lead striker.

Brooks had a good game, but I'd like to see Ream and Gonzales get a run. Ream is two time POY at Bolton. How he doesn't get any run is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Brooks had a good game, but I'd like to see Ream and Gonzales get a run. Ream is two time POY at Bolton. How he doesn't get any run is beyond me.

Ream plays in England. Chandler plays in Germany. Any questions why Chanlder plays even if he has the strangest, almost Kardashian. like running gate I have ever seen.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anyone here interested in Gold Cup tickets for tomorrow night (7/7) at Gillette? I have a couple of tickets and am not going to be able to go. (wife's health problems)

USA vs Haiti at 8:30

Honduras vs Panama at 6:00

Section 112.

You can PM me.

Reaction Score
JK can't play Zardes, Beckermann, Alvarado, Brooks, and Chandler all at the same time. That group is a reverse possession magnet.

Yedlin did fine considering he spent half the match covering for Chandler. That dude can't run at all.

In spite of the goals, I'm starting to wonder if Dempsey had a problem playing with this group. He expects the ball but rarely makes himself available unless Bradley is putting a dart right at him. He missed a bunch of connections. Though the passing accuracy was beyond terrible overall.

Zardes isn't a 90 minute player, and not yet a midfielder. Jozy needs to go. He blows too many chances for a lead striker.

Like I said. I would avoid over analysis. First game in group is always rough. And nobody has looked good. I think most of the games have been draws. This group just needs minutes together. Haiti isn't as good as Honduras so that will be a good second opponent.

Reaction Score
Anyone here interested in Gold Cup tickets for tomorrow night (7/7) at Gillette? I have a couple of tickets and am not going to be able to go. (wife's health problems)

USA vs Haiti at 8:30

Honduras vs Panama at 6:00

Section 112.

You can PM me.

Hope your wife feels better soon.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hope your wife feels better soon.
Ditto. Hope everything is okay.
Thanks, if they could just figure out what's going on with her. They might be on to something, but I'm not trips until they know. She's as bummed as I am we're not going. :(

Reaction Score
At 55:20 there was a clear Uconn huskies chant on the broadcast.
Heard it too. Loud and clear.
Highlight of the game?
Yup, pretty much. That and Zardes great assist on Dempsey's goal.
Altidore should not see another minute of action. He was brutal every time he touched the ball. Every time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If JK wants to play GZ and CD up top or any combination of AJ, CD, and GZ up top I won't have any arguments, but I don't think GZ is a 90 minute winger at this stage. I'd only play him there as a 2nd half sub as he did tonight. Clint has become a strange player lately. I initially liked the idea of Dempsey/Bradley in the middle of the diamond, but CD didn't do enough to control the ball in the buildup favoring his usual go get the ball and call for the ball game. He looks uncomfortable filling either the withdrawn striker/top of the diamond or the true high striker. He always seems to want to play opposite of the formation JK sets up. Mostly he appears to just want the ball played to his feet at the top of the 18. That's fine as he is the only one scoring goals these days, but I am beginning to think that will be a problem for the offense if he stops scoring. I do think he and AJ are not on the same page, which is a problem as they are the two most creative guys with the ball. I hope it's not a case of CD seeing his potential replacement. Those two should be playing a sharp two man game on the attack.

I was at the game last night so I missed the TV coverage, but from the stands I liked the effort from the Defense. They did give up too many breakdowns but they didn't give the ball away and marked well when they weren't beat on the trap or over the top. Speed might be a problem for Evans and Garza, but right now they are competing for Chandler's spot in my mind as Johnson will take one of the fullback spots. I want to see more of the Ream/Gonzalez pairing in the middle.

Mix was mixed, but played both the wide and holding midfield roles without too many negative plays. I think it's a good long term spot for him. Beckerman still adds nothing to the attack. Zusi looks spent, he may be done at the national level. I don't see how he beats out Yedlin for important games on the right wing. He might be resigned to being the pacing horse starting at left wing until Zardes subs in for him.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought they had too many opportunities last night that resulted in nothing. They can counter pretty well but finishing is non-existent. It was like watching me play Fifa and crossing the ball aimlessly over and over again and just hoping someone can connect with it. It was frustrating to watch. They did have a few decent moments. That build up with Zardes to Dempsey to Bradley was great until it was flubbed almost and Mix had to pick it up and take a big blast.

Defense was not totally impressive. Against a better team they would have given up 2+ goals. The number of easy through balls that resulted in easy crosses in front of the goal was too many to count. A few of them were connected upon but not well by Haiti. My guess is they are still gelling as a unit but it was not a comforting look.

A win is a win and the clinched the group so they'll have the next game to try a few things out if JK wants to. Hopefully they can solidify a defensive unit and find someone up front to score besides Dempsey. Altidore looked horrific and should be sat.

Reaction Score
Hope this team improves like the USWNT through its Cup run. Haiti's speed (versus Honduras's attempt at criminal assault) drove the US team mad. I honestly hope Haiti advances as they were fun to watch.

For the US team, Guzan was the man of the match. The center defense was almost non-existent. Bradley basically had to drop deep to cover, several times because Mix kept losing the ball, and the US attack suffered for it. Trying to understand why Zardes is not starting as his tempo was huge on both ends of the field. Dempsey did what Dempsey is supported to do; but, he did disappear a lot, was also hacked down a lot. For once, I felt that Johannsson did well. He kept the Haiti back line on their toes and should have had goal as he was onside by several yards when the ball was passed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From Sports on Earth ... can't disagree:

Graham Zusi: Where to begin with Graham Zusi? His first touch is a complete letdown the majority of the time, he constantly runs into defenders while losing possession, and when he's finally able to get free for a cross they're usually floated over his intended target. Frankly, Zusi has no business being on the U.S. national team with several players more deserving being left out.

Reaction Score
Oh Costa Rica..... how much are you missing Pinto as your coach right about now? They were playing so well under him, then he leaves due to BS politics in the CR football federation, they do not look like nearly the same team. On the flip side, he's been with Honduras less than a year and they are improving under him. They will be a tough out once the Hex starts up next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh Costa Rica..... how much are you missing Pinto as your coach right about now? They were playing so well under him, then he leaves due to BS politics in the CR football federation, they do not look like nearly the same team. On the flip side, he's been with Honduras less than a year and they are improving under him. They will be a tough out once the Hex starts up next year.

Need to make the Hex before you sweat the Hex. The US could have been 0-2 in this Gold Cup playing at home.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That pitch was crap.
Yea putting grass over turf never works very well. I've seen worse though. I think the field down in San Antonio in April was worse.

Didn't like Mix out on the left. Thought he did much better in the second half back in the middle. Thought Johannsson did a nice job. Don't like Bradley as the holding mid or as the attacking mid. But he's pretty good at the 8. Just leave Dempsey up top where he can score. Be nice if Bedoya could get back.

Anyway, with the group wrapped up, be interesting to see what Klinsmann will do. Give Dempsey, Bradley, Guzan a day off? Or put out his best 11 to get them some time together before the knockouts begin. I assume Panama will still be looking for some revenge from the snow game. And they probably still need a result to advance.

Reaction Score
I ddon't even think I am going to go tonight. I've got a U-11 practice to take my girlfriend's son too and that runs until 7. The game is meaningless, and it's like 1000 degrees.

Reaction Score
From Sports on Earth ... can't disagree:

Graham Zusi: Where to begin with Graham Zusi? His first touch is a complete letdown the majority of the time, he constantly runs into defenders while losing possession, and when he's finally able to get free for a cross they're usually floated over his intended target. Frankly, Zusi has no business being on the U.S. national team with several players more deserving being left out.

Can't imagine what they said about Altidore and Diskerud. I'd give Zusi a break because I am homer and because these are the first games he's played for the nats since October. Plus it's not like he's playing his natural position. Right now he is a piano carrier and truly we don't have any other true wide midfielders.

Reaction Score
Costa Rica was the snow game. Panama may be looking for some revenge for the last minute come back we put together in the final CONCACAF Hex game that ultimately bumped them out and put Mexico in the World Cup.

Given that we've locked up the group and the fact the temps are going to be pretty hot in KC, hopefully JK sits the starters that have played every minute so far and keeps them fresh for the quarters. Sit them from the start and sub on only if needed.

Panama has s lot to play for. A win guarantees second place and they advance. A loss or tie puts them at the mercy of 4 other games....Haiti v Honduras, both Group B games (Jamaica v El Salv and Canada v CR) and lesser degree Guatemala v Cuba. Guatemala should beat Cuba easily and be one of the two 3rd place teams to advance, so that leaves one more spot for 3rd place. And Cuba, they've had their challenges even getting players into the country with visa issues, and their top scorer who was able to enter ends up going for a walk and never returned before the first game was ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom