The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bump this back up. Gold Cup starts tomorrow night. (Tues 7/7)

Panama vs Haiti (7:00 ET) (FoxSports 2)
USA vs Honduras (9:30 ET) (FoxSports 1)

Reaction Score
Bump this back up. Gold Cup starts tomorrow night. (Tues 7/7)

Panama vs Haiti (7:00 ET) (FoxSports 2)
USA vs Honduras (9:30 ET) (FoxSports 1)
ha, beat me to it. I had it in a draft an hour ago, and just posted the same topic. Will try and delete mine

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this getting under way. Of the three favorites (US, Mex, CR) the US unquestionably has the toughest group; and they along with CR have the toughest path to the finals. Mexico is dealing with some injuries so will be interesting to see how they sustain as the tournament wears on... especially after just playing 3 pretty intense games in Copa America a couple weeks ago and a VERY physical "unfriendly" v. Honduras last week.

Here's my predictions of which 8 teams advance from group play, and how it plays out:
Group A: US, Panama, Honduras; Group B: Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada; Group C: Mexico, Guatemala

Quarter-finals
US over Canada
Costa Rica over Panama
Mexico over Honduras
Guatemala over Jamaica

Semi-finals
US over Costa Rica
Mexico over Guatemala

Finals
US over Mexic

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this getting under way. Of the three favorites (US, Mex, CR) the US unquestionably has the toughest group; and they along with CR have the toughest path to the finals. Mexico is dealing with some injuries so will be interesting to see how they sustain as the tournament wears on... especially after just playing 3 pretty intense games in Copa America a couple weeks ago and a VERY physical "unfriendly" v. Honduras last week.

Here's my predictions of which 8 teams advance from group play, and how it plays out:
Group A: US, Panama, Honduras; Group B: Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada; Group C: Mexico, Guatemala

Quarter-finals
US over Canada
Costa Rica over Panama
Mexico over Honduras
Guatemala over Jamaica

Semi-finals
US over Costa Rica
Mexico over Guatemala

Finals
US over Mexic

Costa Rica concerns me; but, gratefully we are playing them in the US and not in San Jose.

Reaction Score
Costa Rica concerns me; but, gratefully we are playing them in the US and not in San Jose.
We'd play them in the Georgia Dome too, so that rules snow out.... Agreed tho, they always play the U.S. the toughest as of late.

Reaction Score
We'd play them in the Georgia Dome too, so that rules snow out.... Agreed tho, they always play the U.S. the toughest as of late.

The Georgia Dome/ Did they put grass in for it and is so, I have bad memories oft he US friendly in San Antonio. Hope this isn't someone trying to sell that a MLS team in a NFL stadium in Atlanta will actually work, because, it won't.

Reaction Score
The Georgia Dome/ Did they put grass in for it and is so, I have bad memories oft he US friendly in San Antonio. Hope this isn't someone trying to sell that a MLS team in a NFL stadium in Atlanta will actually work, because, it won't.
I'm assuming they are bringing in grass. What's more concerning is they are playing both semi-finals on it, one right after the other. The only up side is the US game would be played first, so hopefully it's not too torn up. Hopefully they've learned from that fiasco in SA. They've done it successfully before though (IIRC the Silverdome in Detroit hosted a world cup match in '94).

Reaction Score
I'm assuming they are bringing in grass. What's more concerning is they are playing both semi-finals on it, one right after the other. The only up side is the US game would be played first, so hopefully it's not too torn up. Hopefully they've learned from that fiasco in SA. They've done it successfully before though (IIRC the Silverdome in Detroit hosted a world cup match in '94).

Is Gillette grass or turf now, too? I lost track after they switched several times.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is Gillette grass or turf now, too? I lost track after they switched several times.
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (March 24, 2014) – Gillette Stadium officials announced that they are upgrading their field surface and the New England Patriots and the New England Revolution have selected FieldTurf’s Revolution turf system and VersaTile drainage and shock underlayment for its unparalleled player safety and extraordinary durability.

About FieldTurf
In the NFL, the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions, and Indianapolis Colts play their games on FieldTurf while 12 of the league’s teams currently practice on FieldTurf. Over 90 Division I Bowl Division and Championship Division schools have selected FieldTurf, including programs such as Illinois, Louisville, Michigan, Missouri, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, Washington, and Washington State. In MLS, the New England Revolution, Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers play their home games on FieldTurf while eight of the league’s teams practice on FieldTurf. FC Barcelona, Ajax, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham United, and Paris Saint Germain are some of the high profile soccer references worldwide that practice on FieldTurf systems.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Where are they playing tonight? Turf looks good. Holding nice so far, but the lighting is awful. I'm looking at 23 "X"'s. Very distracting.

Reaction Score
Frisco, TX, suburb of Dallas. It the home stadium for FC Dallas.

U.S. Struggling to find any flow at all. The combination of a physical/dirty Honduran team and a Mexican officiating crew is a tough combination for the Yanks. Glad to be up 1-0 at this point, based on how we've looked.

Husky25

Reaction Score
U.S. showing much disdain for this ref...and rightfully so.

Reaction Score
Set Pieces!!! Deuce (or should we call him Ocho) with his 2nd off the noggin.

Reaction Score
Couple observations at the 85th minute....
Our D is horrendous
The fact Honduras hasn't gotten a single yellow card is amazing

Reaction Score
Couple observations at the 85th minute....
Our D is horrendous
The fact Honduras hasn't gotten a single yellow card is amazing
Ha, and immediately after I post the above, the get a yellow for one of their tamer fouls.

Reaction Score
Interesting how these CONCACAF refs are going to treat the US. Many of these countries are on the corruption gravy train and may not take to well with the USA possibly disrupting that.

Nevertheless, good win, HON is solid and tough, 3 points and on to the next.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting how these CONCACAF refs are going to treat the US. Many of these countries are on the corruption gravy train and may not take to well with the USA possibly disrupting that.

Nevertheless, good win, HON is solid and tough, 3 points and on to the next.
That should be the toughest game in our group. Glad to get the 3 points.

Reaction Score
Don't want to overanalyze this. We scored more than the other team. Zardes and Yedlin aren't midfielders. Both have really suspect defensive skills. Brooks and Alvarado are really young. Chandler is just not good. That might be the best team we face in the Group phase maybe the best we'll face until the final or get knocked out.

Reaction Score
Some kind of man-made turf, but there was a one-time switch away from natural grass. Subsequently, Gillette may have tried a few synthetic forms of turf. No several time switches back-and-forth from/to natural grass occurred in Foxboro.

Reaction Score
Tamer foul, but likely a snow ball effect call.
No doubt...but more like an avalanche than a snow ball. Yedlin has to be a sore this morning, he was abused repeatedly. Honduran players appeared to be targeting his lower legs throughout the game to neutralize his speed. But a mentioned above, a good 3 points against probably the toughest team in the gorup.

I watched the 2nd half of Panama v Haiti, and was surprisingly impressed by Haiti. They had more pace, created more opportunities, and played very hard. Felt bad for the defender who whiffed on the clearance that led to Panama's goal. (excellent finish by the Panamanian though). Haiti deserved that point (at least). We will get all 9 points in this group, just hope the team gels as they progress (ala the USWNT)

Reaction Score
Don't want to overanalyze this. We scored more than the other team. Zardes and Yedlin aren't midfielders. Both have really suspect defensive skills. Brooks and Alvarado are really young. Chandler is just not good. That might be the best team we face in the Group phase maybe the best we'll face until the final or get knocked out.

I would like to see Shea get more time back there. I am also on board with shelving Altidore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom