The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that the Mexican coach pulled his team to another location to practice because of the field conditions yet when he went to examine them when asked to for determining the game to be played he said it was fine. I forget the article I read it in but it was from the day of the game.

The field was truly awful but I'll take the win. This team needs all the momentum it can get, no matter the players we put out there or the players the other team puts out there. Was happy to see us win and glad to see some of the inexperienced players that we may need in 2018 get some playing time in a heated match.

The field looked and acted like shi!. Luckily for the US, especially on the 1st goal, the ball seemed to bounce more in favor of the US than Mexico. I know the USSF wants to spread the team around the country to increase exposure; but, it has to balance the need to have a quality product on the field and these experiments with temporary natural grass fields over artificial turf needs to end.

As for the game itself, Mexico has a dept issue after it's normal starting line-up and I think the "Dos a Cero" has really gotten into their collective psyche. The looked good in the '14 World Cup and were unfortunate to lose to the Dutch on a late PK given to the Oranges for Robben's diving theatrics. The US, on the other hand, only had a chance to advance against Belgium (and did not thanks to Wondo's empty net miss) because of Howard's spot-on imitation of Superman.

Inside the Almodome, the US seems to be most comfortable in a 2-4-4 unless Altidore is around, then its a 1-5-4. Morris's opportunistic goal seems to be a classic Klinsmann result; but, the young guys (Green, Yeldin, Brooks, etc.) need to be more consistent.
  • Keeper: Not sold on Rimando, hoping Yarborough or someone steps up for the #2 slot.
  • Backline: Gonzalez did very well on the back line and Alvarado was a pleasant surprise. I have hope for the central back line.and the US may need it as keepers with Howard's skill and leadership are not always going to available to the USMNT to bail out defensive mistakes.
  • Midfield: I still think Bradley need to play on the defensive side of the center midfield with a more creative playmaker, Dix maybe, in front of him. Beckerman puts in an honest days work and I hope his injury is not bad. Klimnsmann obviously sees something in Brek Shea playing in the defensive side of midfield. No interest in Coronoa. Who is Perry Kitchen ?
  • Strikers: One word, speed, second word, confidence. Morris is fast and confident enough to make the most of a gift. Nothing wrong with that. Was glad to see Agudelo contribute.
PS - I did not know that Klinsmann's son is off to college and will play keep for Cal. Could be interesting to see Morris going up against his coach's son. I wonder if Donavon will wear a Stanford shirt for that game, LOL.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02/05/jurgen-klinsmann-son-jonathan-cal-golden-bears-soccer

Reaction Score
I really like Mexico's coach Miguel Herrera. Dude is all class and you can tell he really is into this rivalry. Sometimes it even sounds like he knows more about our players than Jurgen or at least he admires many of the US players. Just from reading some online stuff, it seems like there is much more mutual respect between the coaches, teams and fans and less pure hatred. This is pretty healthy.

The field looked and acted like shi!. Luckily for the US, especially on the 1st goal, the ball seemed to bounce more in favor of the US than Mexico. I know the USSF wants to spread the team around the country to increase exposure; but, it has to balance the need to have a quality product on the field and these experiments with temporary natural grass fields over artificial turf needs to end.

As for the game itself, Mexico has a dept issue after it's normal starting line-up and I think the "Dos a Cero" has really gotten into their collective psyche. The looked good in the '14 World Cup and were unfortunate to lose to the Dutch on a late PK given to the Oranges for Robben's diving theatrics. The US, on the other hand, only had a chance to advance against Belgium (and did not thanks to Wondo's empty net miss) because of Howard's spot-on imitation of Superman.

Inside the Almodome, the US seems to be most comfortable in a 2-4-4 unless Altidore is around, then its a 1-5-4. Morris's opportunistic goal seems to be a classic Klinsmann result; but, the young guys (Green, Yeldin, Brooks, etc.) need to be more consistent.
  • Keeper: Not sold on Rimando, hoping Yarborough or someone steps up for the #2 slot.
  • Backline: Gonzalez did very well on the back line and Alvarado was a pleasant surprise. I have hope for the central back line.and the US may need it as keepers with Howard's skill and leadership are not always going to available to the USMNT to bail out defensive mistakes.
  • Midfield: I still think Bradley need to play on the defensive side of the center midfield with a more creative playmaker, Dix maybe, in front of him. Beckerman puts in an honest days work and I hope his injury is not bad. Klimnsmann obviously sees something in Brek Shea playing in the defensive side of midfield. No interest in Coronoa. Who is Perry Kitchen ?
  • Strikers: One word, speed, second word, confidence. Morris is fast and confident enough to make the most of a gift. Nothing wrong with that. Was glad to see Agudelo contribute.
PS - I did not know that Klinsmann's son is off to college and will play keep for Cal. Could be interesting to see Morris going up against his coach's son. I wonder if Donavon will wear a Stanford shirt for that game, LOL.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02/05/jurgen-klinsmann-son-jonathan-cal-golden-bears-soccer

I actually really liked the way Joe Corona played. He had some really sweet moves and looked confident out there.

Perry Kitchen is a defensive midfielder for DC United, and considered one of the best Americans in MLS at that position. I thought he looked really good coming in for Beckerman, he was really vocal and did a good job keeping things organized. These friendlies have a strange substitution pattern with 6 subs, the US lately seems to lose some of its shape and organization late in the second half because of this and I thought Kitchen did a good job of sustaining the effort.

Klinsmann wants Bradley up top. Bradley and Altidore are going to be his mainstays and he wants those two connected. Bradley is a self described midfielder who is willing to play anyhwere in the midfield. My personal opinion is that he is a box to box guy and not as much an attacking mid, but he is the most technically gifted midfielder we have so Jurgen will continue to put him there and he doesn't care one iota what anyone else thinks.

Morris has real potential. He's still raw but the upside is apparent. Jurgen has been getting ripped for continuing to call this player in, but I think now we know why. Instead of waiting for him to establish himself as a pro, Jurgen is getting ahead of the game and getting him into the system.
At this point he could be a sub off the bench in the Gold Cup at best. But he could be a big part of the Olympic Team. He also scored in the U-23/Olympic Team friendly in Europe last month.

With Dempsey, Altidore, Aron J and now Agudelo we are officially crowded. Dempsey can still deliver in the moment we need it. Aron J is in good form playing in the Eredevisie and Agudelo has shown that he still has it in the friendly and he has been playing well for New England.

Actually, Agudelo might be our best Striker for the nect 5-6 years if he doesn't jump ship to bad place like Stoke City again.

The Center Back situation looks good now. Lots of talent and experience to choose from. Gonzales is probably first choice on the right side. Alvarado will end up on the right as well. He only played on the left the other night because Besler is sick. I think Brooks has become Jurgen's guy on the left, but I think Besler and Gonzales are probably the best picks. I just wonder what the heck he intends to do with Geoff Cameron who actually plays and looks pretty good for Stoke City. Maybe right back?

The Julian Green situation is pretty sad. He's been on loan with Hamburg and never plays. But since he's been there he has had 4 different managers. I think Jurgen is doing the right thing keeping him involved, he's a part of the program, but I think he needs to be diverted to the U-20s for the U-20 World Cup this summer and/or the Olympic Team.

Reaction Score
The Julian Green situation is pretty sad. He's been on loan with Hamburg and never plays. But since he's been there he has had 4 different managers. I think Jurgen is doing the right thing keeping him involved, he's a part of the program, but I think he needs to be diverted to the U-20s for the U-20 World Cup this summer and/or the Olympic Team.

Agree on the rivalry issue. A good, respectful dislike between USA and Mexico will help both programs as long as the hooligans of the world do not get involved.

Has there been any more talk of merging CONCACAF with CONMEBOL. I can see good points and bad points of that with respect to both USMNT Cup qualifying and the added wight a merged entity may have on FIFA overall.

As for the team, we agree on Green. It represents the two-edged sword of pushing American players to go to Europe. Its a great for those who have the opportunity to play, US keepers for one always seem to get on the pitch and deservedly so; but, if a player is stuck on the bench, its a nightmare. What's better for player development - riding the pine in a top league like the EPL or starting for MLS? I always argue that playing is the best teacher out there.

Reaction Score
http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/20...smnt-roster-euro-trip-germany-and-netherlands

The roster for the Germany and Denmark friendlies is as follows:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

I have a bunch of "gripes" with this roster. But I can live with it, because they positively impact Sporting KC in June.

Miguel Ibarra? Other than the hustle, what does he bring to the table? I watched part of the US Open Cup with Minnesota and some of the second half of Minnesota's game against the Cosmos this weekend, and I don't get it.

I am GLAD that he left Graham Zusi off. He did have a huge game on Friday night in a 4-0 romp over Dallas, but he's been hurt all year and he needs a rhythm now that he is healthy, but Zusi>Ibarra by a mile.

Mix Diskerud-NYCFC might actually play better without him. He is so uninspiring it's not even funny. He might be the most overpaid player in the league. He admitted he was totally overwhelmed against Columbia, I can't imagine how much of a catastrophe he would have been on the field in Brazil. What is Klinsmann's deal with Benny Feilhaber? He is absolutely destroying right now. He should be the #10 right now and Michael Bradley should move back to shuttle/box to box role where he is more comfortable.

Bobby Wood again? Really Jurgen? Dempsey refused to even pass to the guy against Chile.

I like Jurgen, but at this point I hope he is just "looking" at these guys and we'll see the big guns come out. There are too many lightweights on this roster. Barring that, he's just trolling.

Jermaine Jones is a scratch due to injury. No replacement for him, but the good news is that he will no longer play center back. I was at the last game he played center back, which was a wed night game at Sporting Park. Benny, Dwyer, Nemeth and our first draft pick rookie straight out of college humiliated him.

Dempsey not called in because his wife is expecting. But he is absolutely destroying right now as well. He scores at least a goal or an assist in every game now.

Altidore is out due ANOTHER hamstring injury. Different leg this time.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll have any clue what Klinsmann is really thinking about the team going forward until we see the Gold Cup roster.

In addition to Fielhaber, from what I've seen Klejstan is also playing better than a host of the players on the roster

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mix Diskerud-NYCFC might actually play better without him. He is so uninspiring it's not even funny. He might be the most overpaid player in the league. He admitted he was totally overwhelmed against Columbia, I can't imagine how much of a catastrophe he would have been on the field in Brazil. What is Klinsmann's deal with Benny Feilhaber? He is absolutely destroying right now. He should be the #10 right now and Michael Bradley should move back to shuttle/box to box role where he is more comfortable.
Absolutely, completely, 100% disagree with you on everything you said about Mix.

Feilhaber? Really? Unless he's improved about 10 fold, he's not even close to Mix.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think we'll have any clue what Klinsmann is really thinking about the team going forward until we see the Gold Cup roster.

In addition to Fielhaber, from what I've seen Klejstan is also playing better than a host of the players on the roster
Agree with that, he's been playing really well lately.

Reaction Score

Steven Krajewski is quality. I agree. I saw him in person for the first time in the first week, and he is solid.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, completely, 100% disagree with you on everything you said about Mix.

Feilhaber? Really? Unless he's improved about 10 fold, he's not even close to Mix.

Feilhaber is having an MVP year. You haven't been following MLS this year have you? Kreis has been openly critical of Mix, he's been garbage this season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Feilhaber is having an MVP year.
Like I said, he'd have to improve 10 fold. Maybe he has...in one year. Feilhaber and Mix are similar in that they do a lot of little stuff that most people don't notice. Mix is just a better version of Benny.

You haven't been following MLS this year have you?
I don't follow KC. I'll follow DC and NE, Seattle some when they're on TV. I may follow more now that EPL/LaLiga/CL (almost) are done. But probably still won't pay much attention to KC. Besides Feilhaber, they really don't have anyone on the team that interests me.

Kreis has been openly critical of Mix, he's been garbage this season.
I've heard that. But from what I've seen, I don't agree. Never cared much for Kreis. Yea, I know he did a great job out in Utah, still don't like him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Highlight for me is not being saddled with Altidore's will he or won't he drama.

Back line is still a mess unless he is looking at young guy.

Mix is a final third player, he's never done much in the way of midfield possession. Still the best we have at ball distribution close to goal. Undersized as he is.

BF and Steven Krajewski are on the Wondo plan, if you ask me. Don't want to see them on the roster, but if they are hot maybe they can earn a bench spot in major competitions.

My opinion of Evans is lower.

Reaction Score
Like I said, he'd have to improve 10 fold. Maybe he has...in one year. Feilhaber and Mix are similar in that they do a lot of little stuff that most people don't notice. Mix is just a better version of Benny.

I don't follow KC. I'll follow DC and NE, Seattle some when they're on TV. I may follow more now that EPL/LaLiga/CL (almost) are done. But probably still won't pay much attention to KC. Besides Feilhaber, they really don't have anyone on the team that interests me.

I've heard that. But from what I've seen, I don't agree. Never cared much for Kreis. Yea, I know he did a great job out in Utah, still don't like him.

Right now, comparing Mix to Feilhaber is like comparing McDonalds to Spago. Is that 10x better? No idea, but the collectively many people are scratching their heads right now. Since Mix has moved to MLS we've gotten to know him better. He hasn't shown much at all. He's just a distributor and he gets marked out of a lot of games. He's been really disappointing.

KC has a new Forward named Krisztian Nemeth. Former Liverpool guy who was derailed by major injuries when he was younger. Plays for the Hungarian national team. He's so good that if he were an American he'd make $5 Mil a year.

Highlight for me is not being saddled with Altidore's will he or won't he drama.

Back line is still a mess unless he is looking at young guy.

Mix is a final third player, he's never done much in the way of midfield possession. Still the best we have at ball distribution close to goal. Undersized as he is.

BF and Steven Krajewski are on the Wondo plan, if you ask me. Don't want to see them on the roster, but if they are hot maybe they can earn a bench spot in major competitions.

My opinion of Evans is lower.

"If" he is hot? LOL. I believe he leads the league with 7 Assists and has 4 goals. He's already eclipsed his best year and it's not even at the halfway mark.

The difference between Feilhaber and Wondo/Steven Krajewski is that Feilhaber actually has accomplished something internationally. Just think back to that assist in 2010, the Confed Cup and the 2007 Gold Cup. And if you're looking at this season objectively, he's having a better year than Michael Bradley.

Klinsmann has "his" guys. For some reason he likes Evans. It might be because he can play a bunch of different positions. But what is really odd is that he calls in Evans as a centerback and ignores Chad Marshall.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Right now, comparing Mix to Feilhaber is like comparing McDonalds to Spago. Is that 10x better? No idea, but the collectively many people are scratching their heads right now. Since Mix has moved to MLS we've gotten to know him better. He hasn't shown much at all. He's just a distributor and he gets marked out of a lot of games. He's been really disappointing.

KC has a new Forward named Krisztian Nemeth. Former Liverpool guy who was derailed by major injuries when he was younger. Plays for the Hungarian national team. He's so good that if he were an American he'd make $5 Mil a year.

"If" he is hot? LOL. I believe he leads the league with 7 Assists and has 4 goals. He's already eclipsed his best year and it's not even at the halfway mark.

The difference between Feilhaber and Wondo/Steven Krajewski is that Feilhaber actually has accomplished something internationally. Just think back to that assist in 2010, the Confed Cup and the 2007 Gold Cup. And if you're looking at this season objectively, he's having a better year than Michael Bradley.

Klinsmann has "his" guys. For some reason he likes Evans. It might be because he can play a bunch of different positions. But what is really odd is that he calls in Evans as a centerback and ignores Chad Marshall.

I liked Benny back in the day. He was one of the few US players that had noticeable ball skills. Thought he deserved more consideration for the starting XI. I think it's just too late for him to be a meaningful contributor for 2018, which is how I judge most players on the squad. Maybe he deserves a shot at the Gold Cup or the Copa.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll agree with you there, getting real tired of seeing Evans name on NT lists.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He's 6-0. :confused:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I suppose, or wire. About the same size as Bacon.

He gets knocked off the ball rather easily. He getting better at holding people off, but still not where it needs to be. He's the football equivalent of the 3rd down scat back. Watch him take a bump, or rather not take one, and play on.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He gets knocked off the ball rather easily. He getting better at holding people off, but still not where it needs to be. He's the football equivalent of the 3rd down scat back. Watch him take a bump, or rather not take one, and play on.
I've noticed him being much, much more aggressive, and tougher, especially in his defensive duties. But really he's a 10.

Reaction Score
GOALKEEPERS (4): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon), Bill Hamid (D.C. United)

DEFENDERS (12): John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Matt Besler (Sporting KC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Timothy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brek Shea (Orlando City), Michael Orozco (Puebla), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Tim Ream (Bolton), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana)

MIDFIELDERS (12): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt 04), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

FORWARDS (7): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes),

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/2015/news/article/2015/06/10/gold-cup-usmnt-roster

So this 35 man prelim list looks pretty much exactly like what I expected it to be. I actually half expected Beasley to come back, Jurgen said a few weeks ago that he wished he would return. Alan Gordon surprises me. Brad Davis coming back surprises me as well.

Jurgen loves Brad Evans. And I am coming around on him. He's not a star, but he can come in and do a job and play a bunch of different positions well.

Not surprised to see Zusi back and he is in his best form since before the World Cup. I think he just needed rest after basically playing for 24 months straight.

Keep an eye on Perry Kitchen. He's probably Kyle Beckerman's successor if Danny Williams doesn't work out, who isn't even on this list. Kitchen has had transfer inquiries from the Bundesliga.

Wood was omitted because he needs to find a club, go to preseason and win some playing time. Cameron was left off per Stoke City's request. Not surprised Zelalem was omitted, he's committed to the US and it's probably better for him and Arsenal to assess and figure out where he'll go on loan to.

All in all, this isn't a develomental list. It's MLS heavy, which is OK, but most of these guys have been CONCACAF killers in the past and they know the competition.

Klinsmann can replace up to 6 players after the group stage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Keep an eye on Perry Kitchen. He's probably Kyle Beckerman's successor if Danny Williams doesn't work out, who isn't even on this list. Kitchen has had transfer inquiries from the Bundesliga.
I've read Williams is going to be resting his knee, which he's had problems with the past couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom