The Walking Dead, Season 7 Part Deux | The Boneyard

The Walking Dead, Season 7 Part Deux

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last we saw Rick was getting the band back together. Negan has got to go!

Rick's group just went to Hilltop to multiply.

Next trip...to The Kingdom? Then Girltown, USA?

Tonight at 9pm!

Reaction Score
I have lower expectations for this season that for either men's hoops or football. But like UConn, I'm still sucked in to TWD.

Can't wait for Saul to return though.

TWD is wearing my patience thin, between nonstop commercials and the writers purposely just with you its getting annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
TWD is wearing my patience thin, between nonstop commercials and the writers purposely just with you its getting annoying.

I'll give them this, the two cars with the cable weed-whacking the highway median was a nice touch for something different.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll give them this, the two cars with the cable weed-whacking the highway median was a nice touch for something different.
That was pretty cool. Also I'm thinking since the dynamite they left behind went off, the Saviors may not realize a bunch of it was taken.

Not a great episode, but it got things moving. All the groups know each other now, Daryl's got a place to hide, they know Carol and Morgan are ok, and we get to meet a whole new group.
Rick's got his tentacles (I said tentacles) in Alexandria, Hilltop (Maggie and Sasha) and now The Kingdom (Daryl and eh, Morgan).

Eventually, Tara's gotta give up Oceanside, right??

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And yet the 'escape' from the zombies immediately after was cringe inducing. It's not hard to avoid these things. They were purposefully running into them. Like a couple of buffoons.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And yet the 'escape' from the zombies immediately after was cringe inducing. It's not hard to avoid these things. They were purposefully running into them. Like a couple of buffoons.
That was so stoopid. Tyreese bad.

Reaction Score
Where did Father Flanagan go? I did not get that part?

Reaction Score
Where did Father Flanagan go? I did not get that part?
I don't think you're supposed to get that part yet. There was apparently someone in the car with him when he drove away.

I didn't watch Talking Dead this week, but I didn't like the preview at the end of the episode. I personally wasn't sure what Rick's grin was about when they were surrounded by the Mad Max-world looking group. I thought maybe he saw a friendly face in the group (Father Gabriel, the guy with dreads that is lost...). With the preview showing a group of people we don't know I'm assuming the grin is because Rick sees resources and soldiers. I do think there is a chance Gabriel met them and saw the same opportunity as Rick, but they told him he'd better bring back the supplies that Rick and Aaron took.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

That was so stoopid. Tyreese bad.

Or Governorish or Glennish. But it's a staple of all TV/movies. The good guys (specifically Those Who Can't Be Killed Off) always get out of impossible situations. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think you're supposed to get that part yet. There was apparently someone in the car with him when he drove away.
Yea, I thought I saw that, but they didn't say anything on The Talking Dead about that. I'm assuming the person in the car was the hooded figure that's been watching them for a bit. Maybe Father Gabriel ran into him/her when he was out walking around (e.g. when he got out of the car with Spencer and walked back?)

I didn't watch Talking Dead this week, but I didn't like the preview at the end of the episode. I personally wasn't sure what Rick's grin was about when they were surrounded by the Mad Max-world looking group. I thought maybe he saw a friendly face in the group (Father Gabriel, the guy with dreads that is lost..). With the preview showing a group of people we don't know I'm assuming the grin is because Rick sees resources and soldiers. I do think there is a chance Gabriel met them and saw the same opportunity as Rick, but they told him he'd better bring back the supplies that Rick and Aaron took.
I think this new group is a real new group. Don't think it's anything from the comics. So they can be and do whatever they want with them. Which could be interesting.

Reaction Score
Or Governorish or Glennish. But it's a staple of all TV/movies. The good guys (specifically Those Who Can't Be Killed Off) always get out of impossible situations. :rolleyes:

Read an article yesterday that viewership dropped as much as 40% in pockets after the introduction of Negan and the violent season premier. They mentioned when long time viewers check out, it's very, very tough to bring them back into the fold....and with a show that's been on this long, no one new is jumping in fresh at this point. You've always been quick to lean on the ratings. Thoughts?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Read an article yesterday that viewership dropped as much as 40% in pockets after the introduction of Negan and the violent season premier. They mentioned when long time viewers check out, it's very, very tough to bring them back into the fold...and with a show that's been on this long, no one new is jumping in fresh at this point. You've always been quick to lean on the ratings. Thoughts?
It does seem to have dropped some this year. Not a lot, but definitely some.
Season 1 Avg - 5.24
Season 2 Avg - 6.91
Season 3 Avg - 10.75
Season 4 Avg - 13.34
Season 5 Avg - 14.38
Season 6 Avg - 13.15
Season 7 Avg (so far) - 11.90

It's still beating everything on Sunday Night, except specials like Grammy's and in a couple weeks the Oscar's. It crushes the Cable numbers, but usually beats the Network numbers too. And it does really well in the 18-49 Rating, which is what advertisers really want. (yea I'm not a target anymore :()

For example Breaking Bad's highest rated Season was it's final one at 4.32. Highest rated episode was the Finale at 10.32.

So as long as it's pulling 10+, AMC is gonna be real happy. Eventually, though it's gotta go down. People will only stay with a series for so long. They're already at Season 8. Maybe they get to 10?? That's a long run for a series like this. Also the market is changing. With Amazon and Netflix putting out entire Season's in one shot where people can binge watch, trying to get people to follow for 16 weeks is going to get tougher and tougher. I could possibly see it being picked up a Season or two on like Amazon or Netflix after AMC closes it down.

Also eventually, I would think, some of the actors may want to move on. Of course most of them can be killed off, but there are a few I'm sure AMC does not want to lose. There were some articles out about Chandler Riggs (Carl) going away to college and how that would affect what happens to Carl. (some people might be happy because he may not be around as much :rolleyes:). Also another character has a new gig on a new show coming out soon. So, who knows how that will play out. (I won't mention who, you can look it up if you want.)

Eventually it will end, but not for a couple more year most likely.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I understand and accept that trope, but the execution was laughable. Rick could have literally opened his door and casually walked backwards away from the horde without lifting a finger.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There were some articles out about Chandler Riggs (Carl) going away to college and how that would affect what happens to Carl. (some people might be happy because he may not be around as much :rolleyes:).

7 seasons too long for Chandler.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I understand and accept that trope, but the execution was laughable. Rick could have literally opened his door and casually walked backwards away from the horde without lifting a finger.
I agree. What seemed really poorly done after I thought about it, was one of them was clear on the other side of the highway and they both got to the truck (and seemed to go through the same amount of walkers) about the same time.

Reaction Score

Or drive like 10 yards further to put a little distance between the dead and the getaway car.

My other nitpick was that it took more than a day for the Negan's group to realize that Darryl was gone. That doesn't seem like the efficiency they have shown up to now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Or drive like 10 yards further to put a little distance between the dead and the getaway car.

My other nitpick was that it took more than a day for the Negan's group to realize that Darryl was gone. That doesn't seem like the efficiency they have shown up to now.
I'm not sure how long it did take them to figure it out. Also Fat Joey might have been responsible for Daryl while Negan, Dwight, Simon were out running around. With him dead, there wasn't anyone to check on Daryl, until everyone got back and decided to look in on them. Not sure if Daryl and Jesus did something with Fat Joey (hid the body??).

But in general the traveling from Sanctuary to Alexandria to Hilltop to The Kingdom seems to take about as long as they want/need it to. I think you can do more nitpicking there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmmm, interesting new group there. Kind of reminds me of "Warriors" (come out and playee).

They need/want guns. Hmmm wonder were there is a huge cache of guns??? Tara? Tara? Give it up already, we know you're gonna.

Reaction Score
Not a bad episode, with some pieces being moved around for future developments.
  • Not that it was a problem, but there was something a little off with the group in the junkyard. To me, they gave off a science-fictiony vibe. Maybe it was the leaders haircut or the way they talked, but it reminded me of a group from an old Star Trek episode or Tom Hanks' future tribe in Cloud Atlas.
  • The junkyard group want guns. Rick's group also needs guns. The Fisherwomen have some, but do they have enough to arm 2 other groups, even if they are willing to share? I think Rick and Co. need to find a separate weapons cache on top of bargaining with other groups.
  • After Richard explained his plan to Darryl and Darryl figured out he was setting Carol up to be killed, I almost expected Darryl to say "You know who Ezekiel would miss and maybe be moved to action if they were killed by the Saviors? You. Goodbye, Richard."
  • I think Jerry from the Kingdom dies before he ever gets to swing that axe. The guy is so lighthearted and jovial, he either becomes a popular recurring character or he's the first guy shot when they go to fight the Saviors.
Overthinking things: The junkyard folks knew about the houseboat, but wouldn't go out there themselves to check for supplies. I'm assuming they observed it for a lot longer than Rick and Aaron did to figure out it was safe to approach. After Rick and Aaron took everything back to Alexandria, the junkyard folks decide to make a make a move to get those supplies, unaware that the Saviors already took it all. Why risk discovery by and potential conflict with Rick's group to get something that they could have obtained themselves, without anyone knowing?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not a bad episode, with some pieces being moved around for future developments.
  • Not that it was a problem, but there was something a little off with the group in the junkyard. To me, they gave off a science-fictiony vibe. Maybe it was the leaders haircut or the way they talked, but it reminded me of a group from an old Star Trek episode or Tom Hanks' future tribe in Cloud Atlas.
  • The junkyard group want guns. Rick's group also needs guns. The Fisherwomen have some, but do they have enough to arm 2 other groups, even if they are willing to share? I think Rick and Co. need to find a separate weapons cache on top of bargaining with other groups.
  • After Richard explained his plan to Darryl and Darryl figured out he was setting Carol up to be killed, I almost expected Darryl to say "You know who Ezekiel would miss and maybe be moved to action if they were killed by the Saviors? You. Goodbye, Richard."
  • I think Jerry from the Kingdom dies before he ever gets to swing that axe. The guy is so lighthearted and jovial, he either becomes a popular recurring character or he's the first guy shot when they go to fight the Saviors.
Overthinking things: The junkyard folks knew about the houseboat, but wouldn't go out there themselves to check for supplies. I'm assuming they observed it for a lot longer than Rick and Aaron did to figure out it was safe to approach. After Rick and Aaron took everything back to Alexandria, the junkyard folks decide to make a make a move to get those supplies, unaware that the Saviors already took it all. Why risk discovery by and potential conflict with Rick's group to get something that they could have obtained themselves, without anyone knowing?

Old School Star Trek is an absolutely perfect analogy. I didn't have a good one myself, just knew that that groups mannerisms were overdone.

I think they wanted them to be a cult of some sort. Could have executed a bit better.

That said, they succeeded in making the leader creepy. Not scary, but just weird as f.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Caught up on both episodes last night.

Rick's grin in the junkyard is definitely because he sees soldiers for his war. I think he also sees people living in a junkyard, with pretty weak, freaky leadership, that he can co-opt.

Overall it's better with less Negan. I think the planning for the war against the Saviors is more interesting.

I thought the highway herd/explosives scene was fun.

So here's the story arc from a leadership point of view. Rick comes in and assumes control over his old partner Shane (who's been banging his wife). Rick appropriates the people Hershel has, and he joins. Rick vanquishes the Governor. Rick takes out the Terminus (with Carol being key). Rick takes out the rogue cops led by Dawn at Grady Hospital. Rick takes over Alexandria (non violently). Rick now has some people from Hilltop on his team, abandoning their own leader.

So Rick is pretty good at taking out leaders of rival groups, or assuming their people and resources. And he knows it. Next up....crazy psycho chick with the trash people. Get them on his team, and then it's time to soften up Ezekial. Get the Kingdom on board and now we've got a force that allows Rick to take out Negan.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good point. Other than the obvious, this is how Rick gets to meet a new group so he has more people to fight with.

Maybe, maybe it follows their ethos of "we take, we don't bother". Which may mean, they take, but they don't really bother with risk. ???

Or maybe it was just simply they hadn't found the boat much before Rick and Aaron?? And they hadn't figured out a way to get to the cache without too much risk. Rick and Aaron swept in and just did it before they had a chance to???

Mostly I think it was just a way to get Rick and the new group together. A little clunky I suppose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom