The View From Section 241 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm not going to weigh in on what the quarterback depth chart should be. I'm just going to say that you can't compare what they did last season, given the comptetion levels each faced and the coaches in place. I don't remember the timing of it all, but I have to think CC must have benefitted from having Foley back as O-line coach and Weist in total control of the offense, which may or may not have been the case before. I don't care about redshirting, just winning.
My personal thought is HCBD sees something in TB to want to redshirt him and therefor needed CW to come back so we had a mildly experienced backup. Without CW, TB would have to play right now.

Reaction Score
It is what it is. You have two quarterbacks to use and you better prepare them both. Each one has issues at this point but both may develop. Boyle has had little opportunity and cannot be judged based only on
what a 19 year old with no prior FBS experience and no offensive line can do against the beef in your schedule. He is a year older now. Chandler is also at risk with a history of concussion. Chandler has had more opportunity to show his stuff on the field and is 23 years old. He is still struggling with many aspects of the game.

We must press on. Both QBs must play. The O line must improve. The D must get better. Boise will be tough. They are an offensive juggernaut and tough against the run but they are vulnerable to the pass. A good showing by the QBs could make for a good game and the 12th man can make a big difference. Rome was not built in a day.
Neither will UConn football. This is a process.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to weigh in on what the quarterback depth chart should be. I'm just going to say that you can't compare what they did last season, given the comptetion levels each faced and the coaches in place. I don't remember the timing of it all, but I have to think CC must have benefitted from having Foley back as O-line coach and Weist in total control of the offense, which may or may not have been the case before. I don't care about redshirting, just winning.
My personal thought is HCBD sees something in TB to want to redshirt him and therefor needed CW to come back so we had a mildly experienced backup. Without CW, TB would have to play right now.

FWIW, I think the difference in compensation is being vastly overstated by those supporting Boyle. 2 of Cochran's 4 starts were against bowl teams. Two of Whitmer's were against Maryland and MIchigan. Did Boyle overall play against tougher competition. Yes, absolutely. But the differences we saw in QB play went well beyond that.

That having been said, I hope we get good QB play Saturday and the rest of the season, and personally I don't give a damn where it comes from.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Chandler had some trouble adjusting to the speed and athleticism increase from JUCO. He was throwing a lot of picks there as well, but he made enough throws to be successful. When he came to UConn, he made the necesssary split second judgements as to whether a a throw was there or not based upon his JUCO experience. Throws that he felt he should have been able to make weren't there anymore and defensive linemen and CBs were covering ground a lot faster, so that he had less time than he anticipated. I think that process left him second guessing himself. His happy feet are Chandler reacting to the speed of tacklers and the long throws are just a shade to conservative to avoid picks. So where do we go from here? Well it's possible that CW continues as he is, or is just slightly better, and it ends up being a long season. It is also possible that he is either completely ineffective or injured and Boyle comes in (or Boyle shines in limited posessions and wins the role outright.) But it is also possible that with more snaps and more maturity, he figures it out and is effective for us. I'm hoping for the last one. It's better for the Chandler, better for the team and better for Tim. We'll see. If he is going to be our QB the rest of the way he has to do better than the SB game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom