The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Excellent post BL.
Boyle should start over Whitmer cuz he is twice as good and has 10 times more upside. Besides the point but if I were him I would transfer if he isn't the starter soon. He will be able to start for a team that would easy beat us if his redshirt is not burned.
If you look at the video of Diaco and Whitmer singing and yucking it up after a horrible game -Boyle looked disgusted as he should - at least that's my take. I also think the comments that Diaco made about how he had to work on communication and intangible leadership may have hurt Tim more than we know. Ok he may not have been ready early his FR year but really ? He has a leadership gap - he led his HS team to 3 state championships - yes - starting his Sophomore year. True CT football isn't the best but that still is a great display of leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good read as always BL. I'd expect that these are more fun to write when the team looks good rather than when it doesn't, so thanks for sticking with it.

"What's ironic, is that Chandler Whitmer '12 was much better than Chandler Whitmer the last two games. Chandler Whitmer last year, while a turnover machine, generally threw better than he has this year."

I thought this frequently during the game. I suspect that he may too worried about not making a mistake, rather than just playing the game.

Reaction Score
I am little shocked that for the second week in a row you refer to the program as steaming pile dung. Diaco has called it broken and we all know it was. Its not like you to refer to the players as sheet.

Obi made some big plays last year, but through two game this year he has got burned on big plays. His phyiscal abilities, which he showed last year allowed him to make some Ints, as well as some big hits. Junior Lee had a nice hit yesterday. Obi can't continue to play like that and not get taken off the field I agree.

That game yesterday had the feel that we could blow it open if Whitmer had connected on a couple of the long throws where the WR was open. He missed so badly on those. Two were touchdowns if he connected and WRs hung onto the ball. Don't know why were not seeing more Bradley and Lemelle at WR both showed talent and ability last year as true freshmen, and this is where Diaco's putting no emphasis on past performance is a bit worrisome, because he is doing to them the same thing he is doing with Chandler and Casey. It's nice that he gave everyone a blank slate and I get it, but the two young WRs showed they could catch the ball in games and make plays. Lemelle's TD catch against RU is one of the nicest grabs for a score I have ever seen a UConn player make. Kamal Abrams may be a great story but in two games he has three drops of very catchable passes if you count the one at the end of the first half yesterday which despite being a heave was a very catchable pass.

I'm hoping to hell Casey can play next week. He makes the offensive line look competent because he doesn't start scrambling like a chicken with his head cut off at the slightest bit of pressure. Instead he shuffles slightly within the pocket and finds himself a throwing lane. Chandler has clearly regressed. Maybe it was the beating he took, but like you said that the coaches came to the conclusion that he and Casey were basically a pick em at that spot is the only coaching decision I will question this year.

Noey: I agree with most of what you said, and I don't and am not calling individual players by name crap. But saying the roster is a pile of crap as a whole seems inescapable to me. In 2005 -- the first post Orlovsky year -- we played Murray State at home (probably comparable to Stony Brook) and Buffalo at home back to back, and beat them by a combined something like 98 to 0. Too lazy to look it up. BUT THAT WAS WITH A ROSTER OF GUYS WHO COMMITTED TO UCONN BEFORE WE HAD THE RENT AND BEFORE WE WERE IN THE BIG EAST. And who were generally overmatched in size and athleticism when they played better schools. But they went 5-6 against a much tougher schedule than we had this year, had fewer QB options (Bones and a frosh DJ) and if you gave them a team they were more athletic than crushed them.

If you think the result we got Saturday was anywhere near that -- or the difference was nothing more than Edsall and his staff being that much better as coaches -- I don't know what to tell you. Did we offer too many recruits who aren't panning out? Did we do a bad job developing our roster the last few years both in the weight room and skill wise? Did we stop taking the level of character young man who busted their hump 24/7/52 to get better? It's probably some of all of that. But we do not have the talent we had up and down the roster even in the "dark" years of '05 and '06. If you don't see it, I respect your opinion but I really don't see how anyone could miss it. If you think I'm just being too blunt -- well, I would never call an individual player crap, but it seems to me that calling the talent level of the roster as a whole crap is entirely fair. And that it is what it is whether I put ketchup on it or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the major difference is you have mishmash of players recruited by Edsall to play in his system, some of them key players, some recruited by P to play in whatever system he had, if you count Weist some of these kids have been exposed to four head coaches in their career.

The biggest issue in my opinion in terms of talent is the offensive line. They look a little better when Casey is in there making quicker decisions with the ball and moving within the pocket, but overall its probably where we are most over matched.

I look at Byron Jones , geremy Davis, the dline Obi and and others and see physical talent. This group of players are still learning system and terminology, while those less talented teams you reference by and large weren't going through that.

If chandler connects on just two of those long throws for TDs yesterday the situation today seems less drastic.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. But do you see wins in the future with Whitmer? Just asking.

Do you see wins in the future with Boyle? I don't. Not based on what I saw last year. We've seen Whitmer play better.

Hopefully we get Cochran back. But the offense is still going to struggle if they don't clean up a lot. It will struggle less, but it will struggle.

Chapilvaug and everyone else saying we should burn his redshirt never seem to want to face the following fact.

Diaco hasn't hesitated to burn a redshirt of anyone he thinks can contribute. Offensive lineman, running backs, special teams players, anyone. He's made it to three deep on the roster.

Except Boyle.

We've got three talented RBs in the same class all playing with the same eligibility left. Whether Boyle red shirts or not Shirreffs is a year behind Boyle and Cochran, with David coming in next year. We have some separation thanks to the transfer.

I'm not saying Boyle can't, shouldn't, or won't play. I'm saying I don't expect the team to be any better with him over Whitmer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you see wins in the future with Boyle? I don't. Not based on what I saw last year. We've seen Whitmer play better.

Hopefully we get Cochran back. But the offense is still going to struggle if they don't clean up a lot. It will struggle less, but it will struggle.

Chapilvaug and everyone else saying we should burn his redshirt never seem to want to face the following fact.

Diaco hasn't hesitated to burn a redshirt of anyone he thinks can contribute. Offensive lineman, running backs, special teams players, anyone. He's made it to three deep on the roster.

Except Boyle.

We've got three talented RBs in the same class all playing with the same eligibility left. Whether Boyle red shirts or not Shirreffs is a year behind Boyle and Cochran, with David coming in next year. We have some separation thanks to the transfer.

I'm not saying Boyle can't, shouldn't, or won't play. I'm saying I don't expect the team to be any better with him over Whitmer.

Exactly. There is no obsession with creating space between them. The redshirt exists because he was maybe the least prepared quarterback ever thrust into a startimg role in FBS history (apologies to Mike Box).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep BizLaw, your observation on Frank is right on. He gets to the QB but has no idea how to tackle him one he gets there. He should have had numerous sacks, for now it's baby steps.

I have also been wondering what the staff sees in Whitmer. He has no feel for the position. He is inaccurate. He runs at the first sign of pressure sometimes into the pressure. It sure doesn't look like the team responds to him. I think Casey and Boyle should be competing for the job, reshirts be dammed, let's play to win.

The holes in the secondary have been huge. I haven't seem that many guys running free since the New York Marathon. Luckily Stony Brook had terrible QBs. Against BYU, their receivers were catching passes with no one within five yards. That better tighten up.

Newsome continues to tease us with potential. Love to see him get a whole series or a drive.

Reaction Score
Excellent post BL.
Boyle should start over Whitmer cuz he is twice as good and has 10 times more upside. Besides the point but if I were him I would transfer if he isn't the starter soon. He will be able to start for a team that would easy beat us if his redshirt is not burned.
If you look at the video of Diaco and Whitmer singing and yucking it up after a horrible game -Boyle looked disgusted as he should - at least that's my take. I also think the comments that Diaco made about how he had to work on communication and intangible leadership may have hurt Tim more than we know. Ok he may not have been ready early his FR year but really ? He has a leadership gap - he led his HS team to 3 state championships - yes - starting his Sophomore year. True CT football isn't the best but that still is a great display of leadership.
Have to disagree with you Chief. I've followed CTHSFB closely for many years, including Boyle's three varsity seasons at Xavier. He was not a three year starter, nor was he the "leader" of any of those championship teams. Boyle played sparingly in 2010 and split time in 2011, with Pat D'Amato (Stony Brook, WR). Graham Stewart was the leader in 2010, D'Amato and Sean Marinan Jr. were the leaders in 2011. Boyle was the full-time starter at QB in 2012, but that team revolved around RB, DeAngelo Berry.

Reaction Score
Casey and Boyle did compete for the job, with Whitmer, Casey got the slight nod, and Boyle sits.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Starting Boyle for conference realignment theorized reasons is insane. Even for the boneyard.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Starting Boyle for conference realignment theorized reasons is insane. Even for the boneyard.

Not if you think the team has a better shot at winning games with Boyle than Whitmer. We need fans at games for CR and all I read on here is the need for UCONN to win to sell tickets. I happen to think that Whitmer is a backup level QB. I have more confidence in Boyle leading the team to wins than Whitmer, last season be damned.

Reaction Score
Not if you think the team has a better shot at winning games with Boyle than Whitmer... ...I have more confidence in Boyle leading the team to wins than Whitmer, last season be damned.

Based on what? Your ability to ignore everything Boyle did last year, combined with the fact he never really came close to winning the job from Whitmer or Cochran this year?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Based on what? Your ability to ignore everything Boyle did last year, combined with the fact he never really came close to winning the job from Whitmer or Cochran this year?

Based on what I've seen from Whitmer THIS YEAR. Last year was last year. Everyone is being afforded the opportunity to show what they can do this year...except Boyle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep BizLaw, your observation on Frank is right on. He gets to the QB but has no idea how to tackle him one he gets there. He should have had numerous sacks, for now it's baby steps.

I have also been wondering what the staff sees in Whitmer. He has no feel for the position. He is inaccurate. He runs at the first sign of pressure sometimes into the pressure. It sure doesn't look like the team responds to him. I think Casey and Boyle should be competing for the job, reshirts be dammed, let's play to win.

The holes in the secondary have been huge. I haven't seem that many guys running free since the New York Marathon. Luckily Stony Brook had terrible QBs. Against BYU, their receivers were catching passes with no one within five yards. That better tighten up.

Newsome continues to tease us with potential. Love to see him get a whole series or a drive.

The hope with Frank is that his mere presence is enough to slow up or re-route the RB until better tacklers get there. I hope.

Reaction Score
Not if you think the team has a better shot at winning games with Boyle than Whitmer. We need fans at games for CR and all I read on here is the need for UCONN to win to sell tickets. I happen to think that Whitmer is a backup level QB. I have more confidence in Boyle leading the team to wins than Whitmer, last season be damned.

I think you're really overstating how many more wins Boyle will get you over Whitmer.

I seriously doubt were going to win enough to impact fan base growth or our conference realignment hopes. Not this year anyway and I think it is unfair to expect that from this coach in year one.

Reaction Score
Based on what I've seen from Whitmer THIS YEAR. Last year was last year. Everyone is being afforded the opportunity to show what they can do this year...except Boyle.

And that doesn't tell you anything?

Dooley

Reaction Score
And that doesn't tell you anything?

It tells me that they are trying to preserve Boyle's eligibility for an extra year to separate he and Cochran. Nothing more.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think you're really overstating how many more wins Boyle will get you over Whitmer.

I seriously doubt were going to win enough to impact fan base growth or our conference realignment hopes. Not this year anyway and I think it is unfair to expect that from this coach in year one.

How many wins do we get with Whitmer this year? Based on what we saw against BYU and what we saw yesterday against the worst defense that we will see all year BY FAR.

Reaction Score
How many wins do we get with Whitmer this year? Based on what we saw against BYU and what we saw yesterday against the worst defense that we will see all year BY FAR.
I can't believe Diaco evaluated chandler and Casey and came away thinking they were close, but I think he has a game plan and that included red shirting Boyle barring injury to both Whitmer and CC. My gut tells me that day is coming but I don't expect the head coach to show panic and deviate from that plan so soon. Whitmer did not look good no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
It tells me that they are trying to preserve Boyle's eligibility for an extra year to separate he and Cochran. Nothing more.

I don't get that. If he was out in front he'd be playing. At best it is a wash between Cochran and Boyle, which makes sense to sit Boyle then. If Cochran is coming back, Boyle should sit. If not, he should play IMO. Whitmer just isn't good enough. And BTW if Boyle isn't better than Whitmer this year, what makes you all think that he will be that much better next year? If we need to wait until he is a senior after Cochran graduates to unleash his greatness, we have serious problems.

Reaction Score
I'll give you one very important reason to start Boyle over Whitmer: conference realignment. If UCONN ever aspires to get out of the AAC, it needs to generate fan support for the football program. Like BL said and I completely agree with: it's tough to attract fans to games to watch this team with 1) no hope for a win and 2) a terrible offense. Making the switch to Boyle, assuming Cochran is a long-term injury, may help to rally some fans behind the program and root for the Connecticut kid. UCONN desperately needs to sell tickets and show to the ACC and B1G that it can bring competitive football and football fans (money) to a new conference.

I'll give you another reason to start Boyle: who's to say Boyle doesn't transfer after the year is over if he doesn't play? If Cochran is a long-term injury and Whitmer leads to the team to 1 very narrow win over a FCS opponent all season, would Boyle stay at UCONN? Or would he be open to transferring to somewhere else, like BC (who will have an open QB competition when Murphy graduates after this season), to play in a Power conference and still be close to home? If the coaches all say that the best means to evaluate a player is by seeing him in games, then why doesn't that same metric for evaluation apply to Boyle? Seems like he's the only guy on the team that isn't being given an opportunity to play in games when our coaches are rolling a 3 and 4 deep depth chart at almost every single position.
Why red shirt Boyle with Sheriffs sitting out this year And Davis coming in next year it gets pretty crowded. I know injuries/concussions change things in an instant but I don't think we need to go crazy trying to keep him off the field this year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't get that. If he was out in front he'd be playing. At best it is a wash between Cochran and Boyle, which makes sense to sit Boyle then. If Cochran is coming back, Boyle should sit. If not, he should play IMO. Whitmer just isn't good enough. And BTW if Boyle isn't better than Whitmer this year, what makes you all think that he will be that much better next year? If we need to wait until he is a senior after Cochran graduates to unleash his greatness, we have serious problems.

Completely agree. Cochran beat Boyle this year to be the starter, not Whitmer. Whitmer has always been viewed as the backup QB and should be. If Cochran is going to come back in 1-2 weeks, then I can sit through a few Whitmer starts. But if Cochran is going to be out a few months, season, or end his career, Boyle needs to start this last "preseason" game.

Reaction Score

I think Boyle isn't playing because he isn't as good as Cochran or Whitmer. That's what we saw on the field last year, and I expect that's what Diaco sees in practice.

I don't care if he redshirts or not, I'm certainly not expecting to "unleash greatness". But I do think it's reasonable to think a player can get better with coaching, if he's getting snaps in practice, paying attention in meetings, and putting time in watching film, but not playing in games.

I don't buy the "separation" story because Diaco isn't redshirting anyone else he thinks can contribute, and no matter the plan for Boyle, he's going to have 2 QBs with the same eligibility.

I think Boyle is physically talented, but hasn't grasped the offense and/or adjusted to the speed of the game yet at this level, and the coaches expect him to be more valuable in 3 years than right now. I think that's a logical decision. I think the most logical conclusion is the coaches don't think he's good enough to make a difference this year so they aren't going to play him unless they have to.

I would love to be wrong, but if I am, and they play him, and he outplays the other two by a wide margin, then 1) either he's the worst practice player ever. 2) the coaches are imbeciles. or 3) Diaco was willing to completely burn this entire season so he could preserve Boyle for 1-3 years when he has had a chance to recruit more talent. Of those, #3 would be most likely, and I choose not to believe he would do that.

Or...

They play him, and we see what we saw last year, which was worse than any quarterback we've had in a long time. No disrespect to the young man, he never should have been on the field last year, and he has plenty of time to develop into a good QB. But I can't understand how anyone could see how he played last year, and expect better so quickly. Statistically, he was the worst QB in the country.

Reaction Score
Agree with what I see from Biz, I have commented in other locations on the 3rd down noise. Stand cover your ears and make noise for our boys! Warde will get it soon and make a change.
As for Witmere, again I agree and said it during the game he is throwing everything to avoid the defender either over the top or wide. Pick paranoia and obvious, but then again he should be. Why not some short flairs or something out of the backfield to build some confidence?
Let's get to Bob the motavator, not trying to be an energy vampire but good god. How does a punter have one hiked behind him and still get a good kick off? This would be hard even in high school. That was the play of the game hands down.
Bob said in a post game interview when asked if the linebackers have improved that yes they are reacting rather than standing around and thinking. Then why are they not allowed to rush a punt? They stand on the line and wait for the kick! They are a simply prevent a fake line. This is something I have never seen, no rush at all allowed!
The Randy play came back, pass in the flat with no blocker which means no yardage and a wasted down. Watch the film and see how SB gets at least 6 yards on the same play with a blocker.
Don Patterson AHC was asked in an interview how much Bob has or is depending on him and he said very little, he is just there to maybe reinforce a thoutht or agree on a decision. Maybe it is time to realize sooner rather than later, we may not be a great team yet but it is obvious to even a casual fan we are wasting plays on both sides of the ball. Bob has put togeather a great staff he should maybe let them do what they do and he take care of the rah rah stuff because right now the one man show is not heading in the right direction.
Again I am not trying to bring down energy but when he talks about the team being at a 101 level the play calling should not be one of the problems. This on either side of the ball.

Reaction Score
Sorry I'm really confused when people say Boyle showed nothing last year, or Boyle was terrible last year.

We played 12 games last year and i bet Boyle played maybe 5 whole quarters. The dumb merrygo round we had with the wild cat was ridiculous. I know this its going to be a very long season if its Whitmer. If CC is out give TB a go.

Now if TB can not remember plays then thats a game changer., but that's the only reason i can understand for him sitting. this RS thing is stupid, just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom