The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Burn Boyles shirt,who knows what transfer QB can put up , who knows he may shake up the whole landscape

Reaction Score
Sorry I'm really confused when people say Boyle showed nothing last year, or Boyle was terrible last year.

We played 12 games last year and i bet Boyle played maybe 5 whole quarters. The dumb merrygo round we had with the wild cat was ridiculous. I know this its going to be a very long season if its Whitmer. If CC is out give TB a go.

Now if TB can not remember plays then thats a game changer., but that's the only reason i can understand for him sitting. this RS thing is stupid, just stupid.

If you didn't watch last year, just say you didn't watch last year. 5 quarters?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546675/tim-boyle

1) 15-43, 149 yards, 35% completion, 0 TD/0 INT, 64 rating.

2) 22-39, 310 yards, 56% completion, 0 TD/3 INT, 106 rating. In his best game, by a wide margin, he threw for 0 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions.

3) 7-21, 47 yards, 33% completion, 0TD/2INT, 33.1 rating.

4) 14-29, 113 yards, 48% completion, 0TD/3INT, 60.3 rating.

5 Quarters? 133 pass attempts (+27 "rushing attempts") which means 160 snaps, not including the handoffs to McCombs in "maybe 5 whole quarters"?

"Wow. just wow."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sorry I'm really confused when people say Boyle showed nothing last year, or Boyle was terrible last year.

We played 12 games last year and i bet Boyle played maybe 5 whole quarters. The dumb merrygo round we had with the wild cat was ridiculous. I know this its going to be a very long season if its Whitmer. If CC is out give TB a go.

Now if TB can not remember plays then thats a game changer., but that's the only reason i can understand for him sitting. this RS thing is stupid, just stupid.
Boyle started out okay, but he didn't appear to progress in the games he was starting. This was while Weist was interim HC. He wasn't ready for the meat of the schedule last year. He might be better this year. I kind of doubt he's had the reps in practice so far, but if they decide to burn the redshirt he will get them. Hope he's got the playbook down better, last year he looked like the least experienced of the 3 QBs and at times he looked lost. Of course with the caveat that he had to play Cincy and UCF while Cochran had to play Rutgers and Memphis.

Reaction Score
Woof, forgot about the SB punter being able to recover the mishandled snap and get the kick off with no pressure from us at all. At the time in that close a game thought we missed a big chance to get points. It was a real headscratcher that we had no one making sure the snap was good etc. Have to send 2 guys at least. Maybe someone wasn't doing their assignment. I hope!

Reaction Score
If you didn't watch last year, just say you didn't watch last year. 5 quarters?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/546675/tim-boyle

1) 15-43, 149 yards, 35% completion, 0 TD/0 INT, 64 rating.

2) 22-39, 310 yards, 56% completion, 0 TD/3 INT, 106 rating. In his best game, by a wide margin, he threw for 0 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions.

3) 7-21, 47 yards, 33% completion, 0TD/2INT, 33.1 rating.

4) 14-29, 113 yards, 48% completion, 0TD/3INT, 60.3 rating.

5 Quarters? 133 pass attempts (+27 "rushing attempts") which means 160 snaps, not including the handoffs to McCombs in "maybe 5 whole quarters"?

"Wow. just wow."

Reading these QB discussions is like watching Fox News, in that I'm fine with people having different opinions than me but have a problem with people having different facts. Each of the three CBs started four games. CC's numbers are much better than Chandler's, and Chandler's numbers were much better than Boyle.

Reaction Score
Reading these QB discussions is like watching Fox News, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, etc, in that I'm fine with people having different opinions than me but have a problem with people having different facts. Each of the three CBs started four games. CC's numbers are much better than Chandler's, and Chandler's numbers were much better than Boyle.

FIFY

Reaction Score
Sorry I was totally out to lunch. Last season was such a disaster that I trained my mind to forget everything after the USF game until Temple.

Upon review TB had a very rough experience. Please Riddell make a special helmet for CC.

C

Chief00

Reading these QB discussions is like watching Fox News, in that I'm fine with people having different opinions than me but have a problem with people having different facts. Each of the three CBs started four games. CC's numbers are much better than Chandler's, and Chandler's numbers were much better than Boyle.
Ok BL after praising your overall post, I must say you are pretty clueless about QB. I would not extrapolate someone's career based on being unexpectedly thrust into a starting position their Freshman year while a mid season coaching change was underway - that's just not very thoughtful. Again, many uninformed fans dumped on Drummond for not producing more his Freshman year when all kinds of coaching and other changes were happening. Now he has made Team USA. Quite frankly, that shows how silly that standard when applied to freshman is during a disruptive season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok BL after praising your overall post, I must say you are pretty clueless about QB. I would not extrapolate someone's career based on being unexpectedly thrust into a starting position their Freshman year while a mid season coaching change was underway - that's just not very thoughtful. Again, many uninformed fans dumped on Drummond for not producing more his Freshman year when all kinds of coaching and other changes were happening. Now he has made Team USA. Quite frankly, that shows how silly that standard when applied to freshman is during a disruptive season.

Now I've seen it all.

The only possible way you could think Boyle is the answer is if you stopped watching after the Buffalo game last year.

The only possible way you could think there is some obsession with him keeping his redshirt is if you've ignored every other piece of evidence.

I get that Whitmer is brutal to watch right now. That doesn't mean anyone available is any better.

This board has an unhealthy issue with backup quarterbacks. Over the last decade every single one that has been called for has pretty much sucked in the end except Endres - yet people still assume the next one is the savior. Even when we saw the absolute worst performance possible over a third of a season - and a performance that was deteriorating. Boyle was getting worse by the drive before our eyes.

Reaction Score
Now I've seen it all.

The only possible way you could think Boyle is the answer is if you stopped watching after the Buffalo game last year.

The only possible way you could think there is some obsession with him keeping his redshirt is if you've ignored every other piece of evidence.

I get that Whitmer is brutal to watch right now. That doesn't mean anyone available is any better.

This board has an unhealthy issue with backup quarterbacks. Over the last decade every single one that has been called for has pretty much sucked in the end except Endres - yet people still assume the next one is the savior. Even when we saw the absolute worst performance possible over a third of a season - and a performance that was deteriorating. Boyle was getting worse by the drive before our eyes.
Cochran didn't suck when he came in. Even against SMU he didn't look like he didn't belong.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the writeup, BL.

My opinion of the whole mess Saturday was that QB play was more or less the only thing keeping SB in the game. The OL didn't play great, but if memory serves* they degraded as the game went on. If we put them away early then it's a non-issue.

*I was several beers deep when the game started so I could be wrong.

Reaction Score

Two totally different points. If you are telling me Boyle might be much better as a soph than as a true frosh -- of course he might be. I hope he is. But when you pretend he wasn't beyond ineffective for his third of a season last year -- well, you're lying. What we have as evidence is what we saw last year, and that he wasn't made the #1 or the #2 coming out of camp. Those are both facts -- not speculation.

If he plays, I hope he's a star.

Reaction Score
I feel for Chandler Whitmer, I do. The kid, with all his strength's and faults, has never had the opportunity to be the fan's favorite player. He's never really been the #2 QB. He's gone straight from #1, to #3 and back to #1A, #1B. Boyle is #2 now, for all intensive purposes, so it's only natural that he's the best QB on the roster.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping to hell Casey can play next week. He makes the offensive line look competent because he doesn't start scrambling like a chicken with his head cut off at the slightest bit of pressure. Instead he shuffles slightly within the pocket and finds himself a throwing lane. Chandler has clearly regressed. Maybe it was the beating he took, but like you said that the coaches came to the conclusion that he and Casey were basically a pick em at that spot is the only coaching decision I will question this year.

This. There were many things I found taking issue with on Saturday, but in reflection the number of times I said "goshdarn*t chandler" had to have been double other names/positions on my histogram chart (that may actually be a fun way of grading a game by the end, I may have to actually make one), secondary probably only to "This is a joke, right?" or "You have to be kidding me".

Oh, and regarding Melifonwu, in watching him so far this year I think it's primarily growing pains of his safety technique in a 3-4. He'll get there again.

Reaction Score
I feel for Chandler Whitmer, I do. The kid, with all his strength's and faults, has never had the opportunity to be the fan's favorite player. He's never really been the #2 QB. He's gone straight from #1, to #3 and back to #1A, #1B. Boyle is #2 now, for all intensive purposes, so it's only natural that he's the best QB on the roster.

He started for an entire year. Coming on as a replacement for an ineffective Johnny Mc. To say he never had a chance to be a fan favorite I don't get.

Reaction Score
He started for an entire year. Coming on as a replacement for an ineffective Johnny Mc. To say he never had a chance to be a fan favorite I don't get.

He never was the clear #2 QB, BL, come on, you know that's the only position on the roster, where every UCONN fan, knows....KNOWS.....the #2 is better than the starter. Do I need to run down the list? Cochran, Boyle, Nebrich, Endres, Frazer, etc. etc. This has been the case for many years now. Whitmer has missed out. I feel bad for him. I'm bleeding a little bit in my cold black heart.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In his first game (against USF) Boyle impressed me with his physical tools. In that game (granted against a less than stellar opponent) our receiving corps did him no favors. As the level of competition rose and his confidence fell, he looked more and more like a true freshman.

One thing that I found striking last season (which I personally believe is playing role in Diaco's stance that more than one QB will play this year) is that once a QB was demoted from #1 he never saw the field again. If Whitmer believed this would still be the M O, he would have had no reason to return. Whether we like it or not we need him just to have enough bodies that can take a snap from center.

For those who see no need to worry about Boyle's redshirt (as we will be loaded with QB's next year), keep ini mind that in consecucutive recruiting classes we brought in Box; Nebrich; Cochrane and then Boyle, Lagow & Taylor. If (and this is a big if) Casey can return to health and Boyle can maintain his redshirt, we will have all of four scholarship QB's on the roster (with one ideally suited to redshirt). Anyone who doesn't believe that this is a) a critical position and b) a position that will always require quality depth has not been paying attention.

I dislike the idea that this season may be a throw away year, where preparing for future seasons is prioritized over current year wins and losses but I would absolutely hate it if we sacrificed something that would benefit us two or three years down the road for a chance (one that ahs no guarantee) at an additional win or two this year, especially if once the season ends that win or two only had us remaining home at 6-6 or 5-7 instead of remaining home at 4-8.

Reaction Score
Reality is that we are an extremely slow, and extremely soft team right now, on both offense and defense. The only consistent strength through 2 games, the only place we are not some soft, limp ----, is the defensive tackles. There have been a few flashes here or there, but nothing worth writing home about.

The only saving grace, is that the head coach has clearly stated we're in a preparatory phase of the season, and to his credit, he was pretty brave to do that, because it deflects from how soft and slow the team has been.

It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend, and then beyond. Really, I've written his elsewhere too, BYU is potentially a much different game, if we don't turn over the ball twice, early and give up the points. Stony Brook, is an entirely different game if we don't turn it over, twice, early and give up the points. The process, isn't going to change, and you know what, if the coach believes it's working, and everybody, including the coach, is learning from their mistakes, and improving, the last thing you do is change the plan. So really, if the team stays together, stays positive, and plays hard together as a group, within the process - Boise should be a competitive and winnable game for us. Imagine that, actually being 2-1? I'm going to stay positive on it.

I'm waiting patiently, for the team to tighten up, get a little hard, instead of so soft, get a little urgency of game playing speed going, instead of so slow. That's not going to happen, at minimum, until the preparatory phase is over, and even then, who knows what the new era of football will bring, but I'm excited to find out.

For now - it's Boise State, and I believe the answer to all questions this week - is "Don't F-----king turn the ball over TWICE to start the game."

Reaction Score
He never was the clear #2 QB, BL, come on, you know that's the only position on the roster, where every UCONN fan, knows....KNOWS.....the #2 is better than the starter. Do I need to run down the list? Cochran, Boyle, Nebrich, Endres, Frazer, etc. etc. This has been the case for many years now. Whitmer has missed out. I feel bad for him. I'm bleeding a little bit in my cold black heart.

LOL. Your right. Starting and winning games isn't enough -- it's only the possibility of being great (because we haven't seen him yet) that gets people excited.

My bad.

Reaction Score
Reality is that we are an extremely slow, and extremely soft team right now, on both offense and defense. The only consistent strength through 2 games, the only place we are not some soft, limp ----, is the defensive tackles. There have been a few flashes here or there, but nothing worth writing home about.

The only saving grace, is that the head coach has clearly stated we're in a preparatory phase of the season, and to his credit, he was pretty brave to do that, because it deflects from how soft and slow the team has been.

It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend, and then beyond. Really, I've written his elsewhere too, BYU is potentially a much different game, if we don't turn over the ball twice, early and give up the points. Stony Brook, is an entirely different game if we don't turn it over, twice, early and give up the points. The process, isn't going to change, and you know what, if the coach believes it's working, and everybody, including the coach, is learning from their mistakes, and improving, the last thing you do is change the plan. So really, if the team stays together, stays positive, and plays hard together as a group, within the process - Boise should be a competitive and winnable game for us. Imagine that, actually being 2-1? I'm going to stay positive on it.

I'm waiting patiently, for the team to tighten up, get a little hard, instead of so soft, get a little urgency of game playing speed going, instead of so slow. That's not going to happen, at minimum, until the preparatory phase is over, and even then, who knows what the new era of football will bring, but I'm excited to find out.

For now - it's Boise State, and I believe the answer to all questions this week - is "Don't F-----king turn the ball over TWICE to start the game."

Damn. I wish we had coaches who had thought of that.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Damn. I wish we had coaches who had thought of that.

coaches can be judged on tiny swings. Brimah misses a ft and everyone is wondering if Ollie (while certainly a nice guy) can really win it? Donyell makes a free throw...

I think if Whitmer hit a couple of passes (that he has shown he can hit), the game yesterday is completely different. We go up by multiple scores & their d loosens up a bit...

Bottomline - in these first two games, Diaco isn't getting any luck. BYU is just a tough match up for any defense with Hill and turnovers early suck. Getting Casey hurt doesn't help. I'm not so sure that Diaco saw CC & CW even, just that he knew he would need more than 1 QB & that CW's confidence was hurting.

If it is CW for the rest of the year, I'm confident he can play better.

Reaction Score
I think you meant MSNBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69