The View From Section 241 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
If you think we’re in the same situation as BYU, I have a bridge for sale.
As an independent, which is what I said, not as a member of the Big 12. Our scheduling clout is almost equal. Duh.

Go ahead and sell a bridge. This is so old.

Reaction Score
I think the Edsall hire was strictly about not having a lot of resources to pay Diaco's buyout and hire a new coach, and this is what we felt we could afford. At that point if we could have hired someone who could get the program on track in 2-3 years and then left for greener pastures we would have done it.

With PP though, absolutely. And it wasn't just UConn admin, it was a huge portion of the fanbase too who wouldn't consider anyone who they thought might leave someday. Such a small time decision, and wow we've also had opportunities to turn it around that we've blown, that decision was the turning point
Whipple was the front runner but he wanted his own staff. He knew offense and QBs, not sure about defense.

Reaction Score
As an independent, which is what I said, not as a member of the Big 12. Our scheduling clout is almost equal. Duh.

Go ahead and sell a bridge. This is so old.
BYU has a built-in national fanbase… we don’t.

Reaction Score
But we do have a national brand name, which is why the program is being so heavily ridiculed by outsiders. They have much higher expectations for UConn and couldn't care about UMass.
If by outsiders, you mean ESPN… consider most on-air are from somewhere else, and not always happy to live in CT.

Reaction Score
No reason UConn can’t win games and be better at football. This is not an infrastructure problem with the team or a school too big for its britches.

This comes down to execution. That is the staff recruits right players, good players, coaches coach up, devise a game plan, execute game plan, get players to execute game plan.

uconn is a top 25 public university. National name brand. Great facilities. If coastal Carolina, liberty, and other teams like that can become good football schools occasionally, then uconn can.

UConn’s football issues are football related. Structurally, the program has good bones. This is a talent development, talent in house, coaching and game plan issue.

Sure the team is young. But that can’t be an excuse. Win football games.

Not an infrastructure problem? Structurally it has good "bones"??

What evidence is there of that based on the completely unimpressive coaching candidates produced in the last 3 searches?

Reaction Score
By my eye test, UConn had better athletes and players, EXCEPT HC’s QBs were much better than Jack Zergiotis. They threw better balls and could run with the ball. Switch QBs and I don’t think HC would have had a chance. And, it does appear HC was better coached.

For me, the turning point in the game was when Jack Zergiotis missed a wide open Ross on a tough throw followed by the inexplicable pick 6. Before this happened, the D was pumped and was playing well, except for the first drive. Instead of the game being 21-7 with huge momentum, it was 14-14 with a deflated team.

As I have stated previously, we have one guy in charge of our two most important groups: OL and the offense and it is just not working. And, Jack Zergiotis looks like freshman Jack Zergiotis and his throwing mechanics have barely improved. How could the coaches not have seen that in 2 years of practice and thought they didn’t need a transfer QB?

End of the day, it has to fall on Edsall. Times up. I don’t think the turnaround is that difficult as I think the roster is OK. UConn just needs a QB and an offensive minded coach. Hopefully, a new coach can attract a decent QB with his offense.
Number of mistakes lead to ultimate outcome:

1) We needed to take control of the game from the beginning! Should have elected to receive the kickoff!
Randy showed no confidence in the offense by deferring.
2) Offense needs to get back to basics line up and smack someone! How about some sets with two backs.
One one play we pulled the center, guard and tackle this opens pursuit for the back side and play Develops way
to slow.
3) Jack Zergiotis has way too many turn overs. That aspect of his game has not improved since 2019!
4). Even with all the turn overs and mistakes we were in excellent position to pull this out with Holy Cross
pinned at the 2 yard line. With the game on the line the defensive was non-existent and played it worse series
of game.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I know Independence has been discussed ad nauseam in here, and while there are certainly disadvantages, there are also advantages that we need to focus on. We may not be able to build towards a conference championship every season, but we do play a national schedule and it seems that future schedules include name brands. That being said, I think we have the potential to be a great landing spots for transfers that want more exposure. I'm not talking transfers from the alabamas and ohio states of the world, but lesser P5 players that perhaps want to chance to play significant minutes for a year or two. Also, not sure if this could work but I thinks its our best path towards success as an independent. Whoever the next head coach is, is the route he needs to take. IMO

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
By my eye test, UConn had better athletes and players, EXCEPT HC’s QBs were much better than Jack Zergiotis. They threw better balls and could run with the ball. Switch QBs and I don’t think HC would have had a chance. And, it does appear HC was better coached.

For me, the turning point in the game was when Jack Zergiotis missed a wide open Ross on a tough throw followed by the inexplicable pick 6. Before this happened, the D was pumped and was playing well, except for the first drive. Instead of the game being 21-7 with huge momentum, it was 14-14 with a deflated team.

As I have stated previously, we have one guy in charge of our two most important groups: OL and the offense and it is just not working. And, Jack Zergiotis looks like freshman Jack Zergiotis and his throwing mechanics have barely improved. How could the coaches not have seen that in 2 years of practice and thought they didn’t need a transfer QB?

End of the day, it has to fall on Edsall. Times up. I don’t think the turnaround is that difficult as I think the roster is OK. UConn just needs a QB and an offensive minded coach. Hopefully, a new coach can attract a decent QB with his offense.
Not having a good starting quarterback and a serviceable backup make winning impossible. Not having these essentials is a huge failure for a head coach. Heck, the top programs stock up on QBs and then shed them. Look at how many that were in the transfer portal are starting for lower level teams this year.

Edsall is just hanging on at this point. No one is going to pay him more than he's making here. So he says the right things, keeps a low personal profile, and cons his players into thinking that everything will be okay. But he's mailing it in. Even sadder than that is the fact that his superiors are happy to let him do so. Heck, the Huskies might even lose a couple of their most talented players to the transfer portal next year.

UConn has three solid possibilities for a win this season, Yale at home, but the other two on the road, UMass and Vandy (a team that also failed to come up with a QB this year and just got creamed by a team a lot worse than Holy Cross). If they manage to win all three, don't be surprised if the UConn brass touts that as "progress" and a reason to stay the course.

Reaction Score
He di
The Huskies have had an opportunity to build a winner.

Teams that have been in a slump can come roaring back.

Cincinnati in 2016 and 2017 were 4-7...yet won 11 games in 2018 and 11 in 2019 and in 2020 went undefeated in conference and only lost by 3 to Georgia in the bowl game.

They hired Luke Fickel for 2017...and by 2018 were rolling. A historic turn around.

silly
Not having a good starting quarterback and a serviceable backup make winning impossible. Not having these essentials is a huge failure for a head coach. Heck, the top programs stock up on QBs and then shed them. Look at how many that were in the transfer portal are starting for lower level teams this year.

Edsall is just hanging on at this point. No one is going to pay him more than he's making here. So he says the right things, keeps a low personal profile, and cons his players into thinking that everything will be okay. But he's mailing it in. Even sadder than that is the fact that his superiors are happy to let him do so. Heck, the Huskies might even lose a couple of their most talented players to the transfer portal next year.

UConn has three solid possibilities for a win this season, Yale at home, but the other two on the road, UMass and Vandy (a team that also failed to come up with a QB this year and just got creamed by a team a lot worse than Holy Cross). If they manage to win all three, don't be surprised if the UConn brass touts that as "progress" and a reason to stay the course.
I'm sorry -- the fact that someone can be worried today about what could go wrong with us winning three games is way behind my ability to focus on things. That's like asking if I'm worried about having three supermodels want to screw me at the same time might be bad for my marriage.

Could we win a game before worrying about how it might be bad to win 3? We must have more important worries than if we win three games the coaches might not all be fired.

Reaction Score
As far as the first line, my statement was very clear that no one knew specifics, so if it makes you feel better to argue against things nobody said have at it. But most people knew the american was an unstable conference that eventually would have teams leaving for greener pastures. If you didn't recognize that and are surprised that the american looks like they'll be losing their top teams thats fine, but its not surprising at all to others.

Schedules are a matter of opinion I suppose, but the feedback on the future schedules has been positive compared to what we were playing.

Thank you for admitting you were wrong about recruiting despite ignoring the 22 class
The American getting poached by the Big 12 wasn't on anyone's radar until the Texas/Oklahoma bomb was dropped. Sorry you can't sell that one.

I will acknowledge the 22 class when it is signed. Although we can beat our chest with the improvement to #114 in 2021. Being an indy in football was a bad move when we made it, and it looks even worse today.

Reaction Score
Very true!

Leaving the AAC was a bad move for football, but perhaps not for hoops.

When we left AAC football, we had no idea what AAC football would be facing today with the Big 12 poach, but at the time, considering the decision parameters - bad move for football. The results speak for themselves.

It likely hurt us in the football recruiting rankings the last few years, at least something did. Notre Dame and BYU can sell being an Indy in football, we certainly can't and haven't, and obviously not heading in that direction..
You could have saved yourself time and just typed "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think a part of the retread Randy decision was Benedict didn’t want UConn to be a stepping stone job.
However, when you look at what Temple, UCF, Houston, Cincinnati have done cycling through coaches every few years it was a terrible reason.

The concept of Randy was an attractive one and the price was right. The expectation was that we'd be physical on the OL and frustrate other teams with a bend don't break defense. Not only did none of that happen, it was a complete whiff. Our OL getting beat by guys a fraction of their size and the Defense giving up 3 or 30 on every play with a bias toward the 30.

There is no excuse for the QB/LB play it like they chose sides in the parking lot before the game.

I don't fault the decision, grasping for credibility post Diaco was a sound approach. Randy just couldn't deliver for reasons we may never know. Maybe the culture never matched 1.0, maybe Randy got everything he wanted this time where as last time there were others in the room to de-Randy some of the decisions. Who knows.

Reaction Score
You could have saved yourself time and just typed "I have no idea what I'm talking about."
I just post based on facts, and although that may confuse or discomfort you, I am amused by the creativity of your snide retort.

Reaction Score
The American getting poached by the Big 12 wasn't on anyone's radar until the Texas/Oklahoma bomb was dropped. Sorry you can't sell that one.

I will acknowledge the 22 class when it is signed. Although we can beat our chest with the improvement to #114 in 2021. Being an indy in football was a bad move when we made it, and it looks even worse today.
We weren't getting invited by the Big 12, as they seem to be more interested in being a "heartland" conference. Leaving the AAC spared the school the bad optics of Cincinnati being invited to a P5 before UConn to some degree.

Gotta love how we have fans who think Syracuse, Pitt, UL, Cincy, Houston are all moves saying we're doomed. We weren't properly prepared for expansion on multiple occasions now. We just have to do the same as BYU has done till the next round or whenever. I don't even care to live to see it but know it's going to happen since we have a very strong market for collegiate athletics and tradition in New England

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The current states of the B12 and AAC have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that leaving was the right thing and they did it at exactly the right time. End of debate. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a troll or ignoring the effects on the entire AD.

Reaction Score
So Edsall is going. I did not think I was going out on a limb when I called him dead man walking. I do not think me giving up on him in 241 influenced anything -- yes, I'm an egomaniac but it's not like I'm Chief -- but if a calm and rational HCRE apologista gives up on the program completely, it means there was no hope left that HCRE II could turn this around.

I'm still not sure changing coaches gets me to not give up come next season, but I don't have to figure that out now.

Reaction Score
The current states of the B12 and AAC have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that leaving was the right thing and they did it at exactly the right time. End of debate. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either a troll or ignoring the effects on the entire AD.
It is beyond a shadow of a doubt that the football program is now in a death spiral since going indy. The facts show it was a terrible move. Perhaps if we had stayed in the AAC and made a little noise in the standings, the Big 12 might have at least taken glance at us this week. We have nothing to offer any major conference as an entry for expansion as football is the major criteria along with hoops, but you gotta have both. Hopefully, there will be a mid-major home somewhere, but legit conferences will want football to expand. End of debate.

Again, I just post based on facts, and although that may confuse or discomfort you, I am amused by the creativity of your snide retort.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score

Well, announcing your retirement after the second game of the season seems a bit out of the ordinary LOL! I guess there comes a time when you can still fool others but not yourself? Or how about "You can fire me... I quit! ... errrr... I retire!

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
He di

silly

I'm sorry -- the fact that someone can be worried today about what could go wrong with us winning three games is way behind my ability to focus on things. That's like asking if I'm worried about having three supermodels want to screw me at the same time might be bad for my marriage.

Could we win a game before worrying about how it might be bad to win 3? We must have more important worries than if we win three games the coaches might not all be fired.
You now have an entire lame duck coaching staff and almost the whole season left to play. Yeah, I guess you do have more to worry about.

"They told me to cheer up, things could be worse. And they were right. Things got worse."

Reaction Score

I’ll take the wins.

Reaction Score
Well, announcing your retirement after the second game of the season seems a bit out of the ordinary LOL! I guess there comes a time when you can still fool others but not yourself? Or how about "You can fire me... I quit! ... errrr... I retire!
It was probably like, “this experiment failed, how do we end this?”

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So Edsall is going. I did not think I was going out on a limb when I called him dead man walking. I do not think me giving up on him in 241 influenced anything -- yes, I'm an egomaniac but it's not like I'm Chief -- but if a calm and rational HCRE apologista gives up on the program completely, it means there was no hope left that HCRE II could turn this around.

I'm still not sure changing coaches gets me to not give up come next season, but I don't have to figure that out now.

I think he saw the writing on the wall or had that phone call from Dave and gave him the option to retire or be fired.

Reaction Score
Not an infrastructure problem? Structurally it has good "bones"??

What evidence is there of that based on the completely unimpressive coaching candidates produced in the last 3 searches?
They had impressive candidates last time around when we got diaco. Warde missed.
Infrastructure as in equipment, facilities, academics, branding, medicine, food, marketing.

Reaction Score
We weren't getting invited by the Big 12, as they seem to be more interested in being a "heartland" conference. Leaving the AAC spared the school the bad optics of Cincinnati being invited to a P5 before UConn to some degree.

Gotta love how we have fans who think Syracuse, Pitt, UL, Cincy, Houston are all moves saying we're doomed. We weren't properly prepared for expansion on multiple occasions now. We just have to do the same as BYU has done till the next round or whenever. I don't even care to live to see it but know it's going to happen since we have a very strong market for collegiate athletics and tradition in New England

Agree with everything but the last line. In my opinion New England has not been a 'very strong market for collegiate athletics' for decades. There was a time when Yale regularly sold out the bowl, and HC v BC sold out Fenway every year but that was in the 1950's. It has been a pro sports market for 50 years. UConn caught lighting in a bottle with JC and Geno. They produced programs that were among the best in the country and in GA's the best in the history of the sport. They sold out games regularly, got tons of casual fan interest in CT and some in other parts of the region as well. But even their best years the Sox, Yanks, Mets, Pats, Giants, Jets, Celts, Bruins, etc. were far more important on the NE sports landscape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom