The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
BTW, am I the only one who finds the guy who tries to get the crowd going both annoying and bush league? The team is supposed to get the fans into it, not some guy shouting at you through an amplifier.

I find him unecessary, basically everything was an inept dumpster fire today.. from the PA guy butchering every name (Dante Jones, Ernie Watts, Chris McCarthy), the dance team that didn't dance and the cheerleaders failing on the U-C-O-N-N touchdown celebration.

This entire operation needs to be purged.

Reaction Score
The worst unit on this team is the O-Line. Their position coach is also the offensive coordinator. You'd think it would be worth at this point removing the OC duties from Giufre to allow him to focus on coaching up his positional unit.

It was disheartening watching Holy Cross beat us in the trenches today. I refuse to believe their guys are more talented or physically stronger so it has to be technique and scheme, another way to say it is it's the coaching.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The worst unit on this team is the O-Line. Their position coach is also the offensive coordinator. You'd think it would be worth at this point removing the OC duties from Giufre to allow him to focus on coaching up his positional unit.

Similarly there is no reason not to try Krajewski next week. As a fan (and season ticket holder), the end of the Diaco era where you could see the players quit on the team was atrocious... this might be harder than that. I'll be there next week to tailgate, but it's going to be hard to be excited to actually go into the game.
I am still trying to figure out what his duties are if he didnt pick the QB and doesn't call the plays. Seems like he got a raise to be Edsall's fall guy.

Reaction Score
We can come back. We are where Memphis was 10 years ago and they came back strong.

We need to hire a modern offensive minded coach. Edsall, Diaco and P were all defensive coordinators stuck in the past. Hire a modern mind like the coach we faced today (the Yale coach is another guy to keep our eye on) and we can come back fast, especially with the new transfers rules.

One good Head Coach hire makes all the difference in the world. (If only we hired Moorhead or Keeler, UGHHH!!!!!)

The next head coach has to be a current head coach from a lower level having success, If he doesn't have those credentials he should not be considered. We need to do what Buffalo did when they found Lance Leipold.
Have said this for years. Having said this, your post is well said. Totally right on the money. The only avenue back for UConn (sans a good conference, residing in a talent ladened hotbed, etc) is to hire an exciting coach who can recruite. He also needs to believe in offense first, offense second and offense third. Score, move the ball, score some more.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It was disheartening watching Holy Cross beat us in the trenches today. I refuse to believe their guys are more talented or physically stronger so it has to be technique and scheme, another way to say it is it's the coaching.

Why is it so hard to believe they are a) stronger of b) more talented?

How many guys on our roster had majority FCS/service academy offers?

Why would guys who were unathletic and not strong, miraculously become world beaters. Other teams have weight rooms too.

Reaction Score

Why would guys who were unathletic and not strong, miraculously become world beaters. Other teams have weight rooms too.

It's the scheme. We have many guys with other FBS offers. They out tricked us, out blitzed us, and out stunted us.

They out coached us..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the write up BL. Glad I missed this one while on a much needed vacation. We all know what Edsall is. He’s boring and his focus is on line play, running the ball, not turning it over and defending. Yet it seems we are mostly terrible at the things he is supposed to be good at. It’s time. He’s not the guy.

I don’t know here you find the 2021 version of Bill Snyder circa 1989, but we need it. K-State was even worse than we are. So it can be done. I suggest that the next coach go all in on transfers and JUCO, whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The coaching staff sucks and the players suck. It's not mutually exclusive.

So you are saying if the teams flip flopped coaching staffs back in March Edsall and Holy Cross would have won today. I think you are lost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holy Cross is a well coached team. They were not a good program before they hired him. Coaching is a huge part of any program. Look at what BC is doing with their new coach. Get a young coach, hit the transfer portal and start beating the teams you should beat. They went from getting blown out by Clemson to nearly beating them last season. That’s the difference a coach can make. It’s not just calling the plays, it’s getting transfers as difference makers. 3 star recruits take 2-3 years to develop, transfers make an immediate impact.

The huge mistake was leaving the AAC. Having no conference makes it a difficult task attracting good coaches.

Reaction Score
We’re effectively downgraded now. Butt of jokes nationwide. Are you one of those that thinks any publicity is good?
Matching BYU as an independent is not a step down. It was a lateral move. Going independent is a step up with the AAC being poached now.

Gotta love BY logic.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Listen go to the games for the players, not the coaches;.
That is what I will be doing. UConn needs new blood as this isn't working.

yes I was a big Edsall fan and didn't mind him coming here unlike others. I liked Laslee and Dunn a lot. This coaching staff on offense is over matched to say the least and it doesn't help when you make the same mistakes over and over.

I do like some of the staff like Corey Edsall, Lou Spanos and Andy Blalock though he is just an honorary fundraiser and out reach.

Something needs to change as Purdue is good, big and tough. They are a middling Big Ten team.,

Reaction Score

Why would guys who were unathletic and not strong, miraculously become world beaters. Other teams have
It's the scheme. We have many guys with other FBS offers. They out tricked us, out blitzed us, and out stunted us.

They out coached us..
They were playing 8 vs 6 in the middle of the field. Turned Morrison into a DB covering the slot.

Reaction Score
BTW, am I the only one who finds the guy who tries to get the crowd going both annoying and bush league? The team is supposed to get the fans into it, not some guy shouting at you through an amplifier.
They have had several versions of this and yes all of them are terrible.

Reaction Score
Don't see why Steven Krajewski isn't played at QB....he showed skill playing for Colquitt in Georgia...my buddy from Colquitt and I were talking about him pre season...and he thought that he would be this season's QB....nothing to lose at this point..give him a shot...although playing Rutgers would be no be doing him no favor.

Reaction Score
I am still trying to figure out what his duties are if he didnt pick the QB and doesn't call the plays. Seems like he got a raise to be Edsall's fall guy.
Have said this for years. Having said this, your post is well said. Totally right on the money. The only avenue back for UConn (sans a good conference, residing in a talent ladened hotbed, etc) is to hire an exciting coach who can recruite. He also needs to believe in offense first, offense second and offense third. Score, move the ball, score some more.
Plus be willing to adapt. Edsall knows only one way and that was fine a decade plus ago. The whole idea to bring him back was considered short sighted and dumb when he was hired and looks significantly worse now.

Reaction Score
I would hire the HS coach that never chooses to punt. He may not have any connection to the NE but it has to be more fun than this…

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If you look at offer lists of UConn and Holy Cross there isn’t much if any talent gap

Reaction Score
Figure out a way to read this article that talks about the impact to the athletic department as a whole:

Should UConn abandon big-time college football? The question is a complex one to answer.

The article is a trial ballon.
When you have a specific problem (having to fire someone doing a poor job), let’s not make it a philosophical conceptual issue because the hiring manager screwed up. There are people who can do the job and do it well. Of course, there are various headwinds. We don’t have high expectations but modest ones.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think a part of the retread Randy decision was Benedict didn’t want UConn to be a stepping stone job.
However, when you look at what Temple, UCF, Houston, Cincinnati have done cycling through coaches every few years it was a terrible reason.
I think Cincy is the example I always think of. They have hit on almost every hire they have had to make. They have been a stepping stone job for years now and have been able to land solid hires to follow up a coach leaving. They didn't shy away from it and now they are a solid program heading to the Big 12. They won't be a stepping stone anymore, unless a big time program comes calling, not a middling P5 school.

UConn has always been afraid of being a stepping stone. PP and RE are prime examples. Diaco was a hope of success but that portion of this program should be wiped away....then again RE 2.0 might need to be as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom