The transfer portal opens today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley brought up tampering several times after the game, pleading that his little-used freshmen wait their turn behind the number of future NBA players in UConn’s starting lineup. “I get the intel from my staff, different programs that, while they’re still playing and while other people are still playing, are tampering… The whole thing is just an embarrassing mess the way some programs operate,” Hurley said. “Our game is so despicable in some ways with the way people are functioning in March.”

Teams went after Johnson last year

Reaction Score
Unfettered free agency.......that's where we are heading. Teams with access to the most money will acquire and retain the most talent. As this process matures it will be grotesque for those of us who experienced college athletics over the past 30-40 years.

Honestly, it doesn't hold any interest for me, even recognizing that UCONN has a fighters chance with mens and womens hoops to compete at the highest levels. Football is a lost cause......

Reaction Score
Unfettered free agency.......that's where we are heading. Teams with access to the most money will acquire and retain the most talent. As this process matures it will be grotesque for those of us who experienced college athletics over the past 30-40 years.

Honestly, it doesn't hold any interest for me, even recognizing that UCONN has a fighters chance with mens and womens hoops to compete at the highest levels. Football is a lost cause......
Thanks for your interest in UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Oh..... and btw, a lot of kids are going to get hurt in this process. Instead of sticking with a good program and coach who will instill discipline they will take the easy way out and most likely stunt their development.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Oh..... and btw, a lot of kids are going to get hurt in this process. Instead of sticking with a good program and coach who will instill discipline they will take the easy way out and most likely stunt their development.
Self-inflicted pain.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You could also say coaches who use the portal to bring in guys over them are taking the easy way out instead of developing the guys they have, which can also stunt their development.

It’s a two way street.

Reaction Score
Cliff Omoruyi reportedly will be entering the portal. Staff wanted him bad out of high school but ended up with Sanogo reclassing instead. Pike will be under pressure to win big next year with 2 top 5 recruits.

Unconfirmed buzz on the St John's board about Des Claude too, but Xavier is still playing and that could be false info from delusional Johnnies.

Reaction Score
Favors the bad teams that aren't in the post-season. The playing field should be even for all, at least for the portal. We already know NIL money isn't equal.

Reaction Score
Favors the bad teams that aren't in the post-season. The playing field should be even for all, at least for the portal. We already know NIL money isn't equal.
Will be interested to see how it plays out. Most of the big-budget programs that have NIL money to spend are in the tourney, so presumably it would behoove the better players to wait to decide. I’m sure the staffs of those programs are monitoring and will be at a minimum in the ear of these players while the tourney is still ongoing.

Reaction Score
You could also say coaches who use the portal to bring in guys over them are taking the easy way out instead of developing the guys they have, which can also stunt their development.

It’s a two way street.

Totally agree. The coaches, athletic departments and school presidents should all be ashamed of themselves for their greed. That's what lead to where we are today. With leadership,the kids could have been much better treated and a level playing field (more or less) could have been maintained. Instead we now have professional developmental basketball and football leagues.

Reaction Score

Agree. There is no stretch of the word "college" elastic enough to enable the word to be used to describe current big-time "college" athletics. Even "semi-pro" is insufficient, since semi-pro implies that the athletic activity is ancillary to the participant's primary occupation and principal source of income. Major college athletes today are professionals (to the extent that mercenaries are worthy of the label.). It is possible that we will look back on last year's UConn Huskies as the last true NCAA "college" basketball champion.

Reaction Score
The only saving grace here is I have to imagine that the top transfers will hold out for the top teams who are still playing (and who have big NIL to offer). I don't think the few-week head start actually helps the minnows all that much.

The only teams who potentially benefit are the big-name, big-money teams who were terrible this year. I guess St. John's fits the bill?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Portal rules are poor constructed but from the students POV, if you are considering a transfer March is about when you'd start reaching out.

That said, no reason they can't push it 2 weeks until all but 4 teams are done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom