The transfer portal opens today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
The problem is if we get a starting center in the portal, Samson will likely enter the portal. How can we get a backup 5 from the portal?

We need a starting center. Sj is not that guy. I would like him to stay and compete with Singare for backup minutes, but at the end of the day bench bigs are a dime a dozen in the portal.

You're thinking ass-backwards. You can't compete if you don't have the talent to compete.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait for a player on a top NCAA tournament team to file to enter the portal. I don’t know the rules but I imagine it will end up in court and the NCAA will lose if they try to stop him. After all regulars students can apply to transfer at any time. Athletes should have that right too.

Not necessarily a top team, or an impact player, but it has happened.

LJ Thomas

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The problem is if we get a starting center in the portal, Samson will likely enter the portal. How can we get a backup 5 from the portal?
We have one sitting on the bench. A member of the UConn Fab 5.

Reaction Score
The concern is people contacting our players, or any players while they are playing in the tournament. Thats a distraction and could hurt team chemistry. It shouldn’t be open until everyone is done playing.
You do realize technically a player has to enter the portal before they can be contacted...that's obviously a farce, so it makes no difference. back channels have been going on for a while already

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Between the transfer revolving door and Dartmouth winning a victory for all college athletes with employee status - not quite a universally adopted standard - how long will it be before players can be traded. The phone calls home would be great. Johnny Forward from Prairie View “ Ma I just got traded to Dartmouth, wow”. Billy Shooting Guard from Dartmouth “sheet Dad, they traded me to Prairie View”.

But for real, with major college sports pretty much dropping all pretense of amateurism, it isn’t a big leap to players being required to sign no transfer contracts for a fixed period of time. No doubt UConn has been a great beneficiary of the portal. That might not be the case forever. The idea of putting in the time in a program is becoming quaint.

Reaction Score
We have one sitting on the bench. A member of the UConn Fab 5.
We don't know that yet. Boo Willingham was a highly recruited part of UConn's first really great freshman class in 1991. Antric Klaiber was a 4-star recruit we "stole" from Georgetown. The truth is we have not seen enough of Singare to know when or if he will develop into a reliable backup. With Johnson, we have at least seen some impressive improvement and has the potential to be a productive starter.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for an entire NCAA tourney team to enter the portal and sell themselves to an entire school.

For instance, what if (after last year's tournament) the San Diego State or Florida Atlantic players had come together and sold themselves en masse to a school like Notre Dame or Michigan?

Reaction Score
The no sit transfer rule and NIL happening concurrently was the stupidest thing the NCAA could have done...but Emmert was in charge so it's not a surprise. Leave the sit one year in place and paying transfers is a minor issue, but lets players get NIL the correct way...but that would have made too much sense for Emmert. Was there ever a more incompetent leader?

Reaction Score
The no sit transfer rule and NIL happening concurrently was the stupidest thing the NCAA could have done...but Emmert was in charge so it's not a surprise. Leave the sit one year in place and paying transfers is a minor issue, but lets players get NIL the correct way...but that would have made too much sense for Emmert. Was there ever a more incompetent leader?
UConn won the national championship and is the #1 overall seed thanks to the portal and NIL. Thank you Mark Emmert. Where would we be without Newton, Diarra, Joey C, Alleyne and Spencer?

Reaction Score
The no transfer rule was punishment for players that wanted to leave. Glad it’s over.

It was especially dumb when you consider the vast majority of athletes are not P5 football and basketball players. Why on earth should some swimmer or XC runner have not been able to transfer?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We don't know that yet. Boo Willingham was a highly recruited part of UConn's first really great freshman class in 1991. Antric Klaiber was a 4-star recruit we "stole" from Georgetown. The truth is we have not seen enough of Singare to know when or if he will develop into a reliable backup. With Johnson, we have at least seen some impressive improvement and has the potential to be a productive starter.
Should have used an emoji. I was intending to be a bit tongue in cheek. But the point is still there. i presume Cingare was recruited because it was believed he could contribute. Quick fixes might or might not turn out ok either. The only thing we really know about Cingare is that with two good to very good bigs in front of him he couldn’t get meaningful time. If Clingan unexpectedly stays, Cingare will be in the same boat next year absent injury and no decent big will want to transfer here this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You do realize technically a player has to enter the portal before they can be contacted...that's obviously a farce, so it makes no difference. back channels have been going on for a while already
It is a farce. So best to prohibit any contact, at least while games are being played.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you honestly think that every back channel, back door, underground, smoke signals communication method hasn’t been going on all year like it always has? Do you know what the #1 mode of back channel communication form is?
Team member- “Coach, jumpin Johnny Jones hates it at Duke, he asked me if you’d be interested?”
Coach-“Tell Johnny to get his ass in the portal and we’d love to talk to him as soon as UConn is done kicking our ass in the NCAA’s.
Team member-OK Coach, I’ll let him know. I know it’ll be soon cause it won’t take those crazy MoFo’s from UConn long to mop the floor with our sorry asses.”
"people are breaking the rules anyway, so that excuses us taking a moronic approach that makes it even easier for them.". This isn't hard. Put it off three weeks. At the very least so that the teams that are focused on playing games can participate in the portal.

Reaction Score
It was especially dumb when you consider the vast majority of athletes are not P5 football and basketball players. Why on earth should some swimmer or XC runner have not been able to transfer?
Generally, the sit out rules applied to football, baseball, basketball, and men’s hockey.

Reaction Score
Kadary joining Cliff has buzz. Johnnies have a lot of NIL and not as many scruples.
I think it’s kinda cute that St. John’s and Seton Hall swap players after every season. Maybe we should just combine those 2 programs and let them pick the best 7-8 players from both squads so we can have another NCAA tournament team next year.

Reaction Score
Generally, the sit out rules applied to football, baseball, basketball, and men’s hockey.

Makes sense. All I know is that our coach told me I'd have to sit in college when I wanted to transfer. He was a piece of s---, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was just lying.

Reaction Score
It is a farce. So best to prohibit any contact, at least while games are being played.
How to you prevent a college coach from talking to a HS coach...who just happens to be the former coach of a star player?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In general I agree, but it wasn’t all totally one-sided. The programs spend a lot of time and money recruiting players. To have a prime recruit leave after a year or two has a consequence of some sort to the program. Other recruits not coming etc. UConn hoops have clearly come out on the plus side, but that might not last forever. Even pre-portal days we occasionally lost some pretty good pieces to transfer.

Reaction Score
In general I agree, but it wasn’t all totally one-sided. The programs spend a lot of time and money recruiting players. To have a prime recruit leave after a year or two has a consequence of some sort to the program. Other recruits not coming etc. UConn hoops have clearly come out on the plus side, but that might not last forever. Even pre-portal days we occasionally lost some pretty good pieces to transfer.

Programs benefit much more from players than the players from the program. The recruiting budget at my D2 school was like 1000$--the coaches would literally buy fake wrist bands to AAU events to avoid paying. We sold more than 1000$ in tickets to just a single game. Only one player on that team played professionally.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. All I know is that our coach told me I'd have to sit in college when I wanted to transfer. He was a piece of s---, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was just lying.
What sport?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Programs benefit much more from players than the players from the program. The recruiting budget at my D2 school was like 1000$--the coaches would literally buy fake wrist bands to AAU events to avoid paying. We sold more than 1000$ in tickets to just a single game. Only one player on that team played professionally.
I was talking about D1 where coaches, especially in the revenue sports and where the portal is becoming extremely common, expend a lot of capital both money and human in recruiting. And add in now recruiting transfers to boot. Tough business right now. Anyway I would guess we will see some sort of change to process, at least as to timing. It’s all pretty new and if the volume stays high, a game changer.

Reaction Score
We need a starting center. Sj is not that guy. I would like him to stay and compete with Singare for backup minutes, but at the end of the day bench bigs are a dime a dozen in the portal.

You're thinking ass-backwards. You can't compete if you don't have the talent to compete.
SJ could easily be our starting center. Once again, the BY -no one can improve over the off season- mentality strikes again. Tell that to Diarra.

However, we do need a space eater or aircraft carrier, or what ever you want to call it, at the 5, from the portal.

Reaction Score
Should have used an emoji. I was intending to be a bit tongue in cheek. But the point is still there. i presume Cingare was recruited because it was believed he could contribute. Quick fixes might or might not turn out ok either. The only thing we really know about Cingare is that with two good to very good bigs in front of him he couldn’t get meaningful time. If Clingan unexpectedly stays, Cingare will be in the same boat next year absent injury and no decent big will want to transfer here this year.

Honestly how difficult is it to get a kid’s name right that’s been here for almost a year? Just the absolute bare minimum in terms of respect.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
SJ could easily be our starting center. Once again, the BY -no one can improve over the off season- mentality strikes again. Tell that to Diarra.

However, we do need a space eater or aircraft carrier, or what ever you want to call it, at the 5, from the portal.
He could earn it but if you don’t get a starting level center you’re risking your season on the chance he takes a big leap in a handful of areas between his junior and senior years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom