The Transfer Portal Discussion | The Boneyard

The Transfer Portal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not saying they should or will but if UCONN takes a player from the portal, what position would they be looking for?

HuskyNan note: This thread is to discuss incoming transfers. Speculation on outgoing transfers is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don't think you will see UCONN take a transfer. They have a lot of players coming back and have a big class coming in. They will have a couple tall girls plus AE and I really think when you look at the team next year you will see a smaller quicker team on the floor that will cause the teams they play to change to match up. Dorka is great but I don't think you need another big to fill her spot next season when you have so much fire power coming back.

Reaction Score
We should be covered next season with experienced guards and wings. Our posts for next season will have only 1 player with significant minutes (AE), 2 end of rotation players (AP and Amari), and 2 payers who didn't play at this level before (Jana and Ice). While we can expect good things from all those 4 players, an experienced post could help (my dream addition: Brink).

Reaction Score
Definitely need a big to replace Dorka, to go along with AE. Otherwise there is nobody. Brady is an unknown. Patterson could develop into something but she needs to be coached up.

Reaction Score
After the last two years, can we ever have "too many" players?
Technically according to the NCAA, yes. If there's anyone that wants to do it without a scholarship then no.

sun

Reaction Score
As long as the roster remains at 14 for next year, then UConn shouldn't accept any incoming transfers.
I want a spot left open just in case Juste Jocyte or a similar player decides to enroll at UConn at the last minute.
Juste is a 6' 2" shooting guard & small forward.

UConn's scholarship chart:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd love to see a defensive-oriented big...fierce rebounder.
Actually I'd love to get ANY portal player that Geno really wants.
Kiah Stokes are few and far between! The 6 --5's in the portal wouldn't fit the Geno/CD image.
Besides, we have seen, that it has taken ever "big" transfer 2 years to start being effective--by then this group will be ready to go.

Reaction Score
I think saying we just are looking for just a post is even too general. I would only be interested in a very good 5 not a 4, or at least a 4 that was very comfortable as a 5. We will probably still be pretty good at the 5 with Ice and Jana, but we are not experienced or proven there. A one year grad transfer rental would be perfect if one appears.

It's a longshot but my wish-list would include a couple of players whose senior years were ended by injury. They expected at this time to be getting ready for the WNBA draft. They now are faced with three possibilities. They could enter the draft, but they probably won't be recovered enough to be ready for the WNBA season, and for that reason may not be picked very high. They could of course return to their current team for a Covid year. Or they could try a new experience, perhaps filling the potential hole in the lineup for next year's championship favorite.

Like Lou or Dorka, get to experience Uconn, improve your draft status, and play on the biggest stage with a great chance at a championship season. It could be a special opportunity that is hard to pass up. As for who, I can think of two that would meet those criteria, so if I am allowed to dream, I would hope Ayoka Lee from Kansas State or Stephanie Soares would enter the portal.

Kansas State won't be a championship contender next year, and Iowa State will be pretty good, but they lose Joens so they might slip a little from this year, so that would be the appeal, the chance to be the cherry on top of a loaded lineup 1-4. I just mention these two because they are a fit for us and because of injuries in their senior year, face an uncertain future with several options.

Maybe nobody good enough enters the portal, that is quite possible, but then again, a couple of years ago I didn't expect two C's as talented as Dorka and Cardosa to be in the portal either.

Reaction Score
I'm still harboring faint hopes that maybe possibly somehow Amari will develop into a
go-to post player who, like Dorka, can occasionally step out a drain a three. If that were
to happen the portal would be a non-issue for us.

Reaction Score
Our young bigs may not have much experience. But they’ll be playing with the best backcourt in D1, and the best perimeter shooters. I suspect they’ll learn their craft under ideal conditions: no double teams, a clear lane and lots of room to work.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think saying we just are looking for just a post is even too general. I would only be interested in a very good 5 not a 4, or at least a 4 that was very comfortable as a 5. We will probably still be pretty good at the 5 with Ice and Jana, but we are not experienced or proven there. A one year grad transfer rental would be perfect if one appears.

It's a longshot but my wish-list would include a couple of players whose senior years were ended by injury. They expected at this time to be getting ready for the WNBA draft. They now are faced with three possibilities. They could enter the draft, but they probably won't be recovered enough to be ready for the WNBA season, and for that reason may not be picked very high. They could of course return to their current team for a Covid year. Or they could try a new experience, perhaps filling the potential hole in the lineup for next year's championship favorite.

Like Lou or Dorka, get to experience Uconn, improve your draft status, and play on the biggest stage with a great chance at a championship season. It could be a special opportunity that is hard to pass up. As for who, I can think of two that would meet those criteria, so if I am allowed to dream, I would hope Ayoka Lee from Kansas State or Stephanie Soares would enter the portal.

Kansas State won't be a championship contender next year, and Iowa State will be pretty good, but they lose Joens so they might slip a little from this year, so that would be the appeal, the chance to be the cherry on top of a loaded lineup 1-4. I just mention these two because they are a fit for us and because of injuries in their senior year, face an uncertain future with several options.

Maybe nobody good enough enters the portal, that is quite possible, but then again, a couple of years ago I didn't expect two C's as talented as Dorka and Cardosa to be in the portal either.
Yes, for Lee. I have been thinking that for quite a while.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes are few and far between! The 6 --5's in the portal wouldn't fit the Geno/CD image.
Besides, we have seen, that it has taken ever "big" transfer 2 years to start being effective--by then this group will be ready to go.
What we need is another Kara Wolters, better known as the 'black hole'!
Give It To Me Need GIF

Reaction Score
Our young bigs may not have much experience. But they’ll be playing with the best backcourt in D1, and the best perimeter shooters. I suspect they’ll learn their craft under ideal conditions: no double teams, a clear lane and lots of room to work.
I agree completely with the ideal conditions, perimeter passers and shooters, plus one great established 4 to play alongside of. From that standpoint the young bigs don't have as much pressure on them. They don't have to try to do too much too early, just be an above average college C in your first year, and the other 4 positions will be great, and we will be a very good team.

It's not like we will likely be weak there, and most teams would probably love to have Ice or Jana as their best player. The question is could we be potentially better at that position with a very good proven experienced player. It is probably a pretty short list of potential candidates that could be clear upgrades, and they may not enter the portal, but the ideal conditions I certainly agree with, apply just as strongly to a stud transfer C star.

If you were one of those, perhaps contemplating an extra Covid year, you couldn't wish for a greater opportunity than joining the most famous women's basketball program, that is absolutely loaded at every other position, and that would be a probable national favorite without that player, and an obvious consensus choice with her.

While I am not confident that kind of player will enter the portal, because of the ideal conditions you state, i think we would have a very good chance of getting that player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Uconn will be actively looking for a transfer, but you never know who will be in the portal and who might contact Uconn from the portal.

EDIT - For example - a Princeton senior might ask her coach to check if Uconn had any interest in a grad transfer. Sort of what happened with Lou I think.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am not in favor (in general) of taking anyone from the portal. UCONN loses Dorka and Lou. 1 post, 1 guard/wing. We add:

Paige Bueckers
Ice Brady
Jana El Alfy
Ashlynn Shade
KK Arnold
Qadence Samuels

3 guards, 1 wing/forward, 2 posts

Jana, I believe, will be the tallest player on the team at 6'4"+, but I believe she's somewhat similar to Dorka - tall girl, not a banger, good in the post with post moves, but also a capable 3 point shooter.

6'3" Aaliyah and Ice will be the "strength" in the post. Hopefully Ayanna has a sophomore leap and can provide useful minutes. There are very few athletes in the country like Aubrey. So if you consider we have 5 post players (Edwards, El-Alfy, Brady, DeBerry, Patterson), 3 wing/forward players (Ducharme/Griffin/Samuels), and 6 guards (Bueckers, Fudd, Muhl, Shade, Arnold, Bettencourt).

Our depth will be insane - at every position in every possible way. That's 14 players. Room for 1 more I suppose, and if something perfect dropped our way, I think it would be great. It's also very likely that there will be injuries and illnesses next season, so it's probably that numerous players will miss numerous games. Hate to say it, but if recent history is any indication, we have to consider that...

BUT with 14 players and incredibly skilled depth at each position, I just don't think any additions are needed. Unless it's some kind of perfect fit...

Reaction Score
Jana, I believe, will be the tallest player on the team at 6'4"+, but I believe she's somewhat similar to Dorka - tall girl, not a banger, good in the post with post moves, but also a capable 3 point shooter.
Actually, Amari is taller, at least 6'5", but I know what you mean. Jana is a lanky 6'4" with long arms, a bit like Stewie. She's got good handles and can shoot the 3 -- also like Stewie -- and is a good shot blocker. I think she'll complement Aaliyah and Ice very well. Her dad (also a BB coach/player) reportedly said he hoped Geno wouldn't play her only in the low post, that her other skills should be developed, too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think Uconn will be actively looking for a transfer, but you never know who will be in the portal and who might contact Uconn from the portal.

EDIT - For example - a Princeton senior might ask her coach to check if Uconn had any interest in a grad transfer. Sort of what happened with Lou I think.
Kira Emsbro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01