The Transfer Portal Discussion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Transfer Portal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I thought Amari was taller than Jana. According to the official roster she is 6'5" to Jana's 6'4". Really hoping that Amari puts on her Supergirl outfit and surprises us all.
And I am really hoping that The Beatles reunite and surprise us all. :):rolleyes:
But at least yours has a chance of happening.

Reaction Score
FWIW, there is (also) a Transfer Portal Announcements thread over on the General Women's Basketball area that tracks (mostly) factual announcements of goings. There will also be one for comings, when that starts clicking.

And, given that it's that time of year, 2022-23 Coaches Opening is also in the General area.
Both of those will pick up activity very soon for coaches and players that are not in the tournament, and then another wave as tournament teams end their season and just before the WNBA draft when many seniors have to make their decisions (enter draft, return to same school, or go to a new one).

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure statistically when the young Biggs were in the game for any length of time they were negative points so to bring in an experience big would only benefit the team. There is still plenty of time for the players on the team and those coming in to develop. There is a junior that still needs serious development a sophomore, thar showed almost no offense ,a sophomore that missed her freshman season that we know nothing about and a freshman that yes she got to see half of season this year, but we still don’t know anything about. Even if you brought in another big, Geno would be able to have a rotation with those players getting smaller amounts of minutes without hurting the team and yet still learning. Maybe Aubrey could stay at a more natural position and continue to grow her game. So in my opinion, and experience big could play the 4 or 5 giving Edwards bench time and pretty much just being a positive
I wonder if someone like Ila Lane would fit the bill. She's a 6'4" C/F who just entered the portal out of UCSB.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not all stay 4 years. One transferred to Baylor this past offseason. Dijonae Carrington also transferred to Baylor, but that might have been as a 5th year grad transfer; same for one or two who transferred to Notre Dame.
Jenna Brown, graduated from Stanford after missing two seasons with knee injuries and transferred to Notre dame.

Maya Dodson, graduated from Stanford, sat out the COVID season (her academic senior season) and then grad transferred to Notre Dame.

Marta Sniezek, graduated from Stanford and transferred to Notre Dame as a fifth year player.

Lili Thompson *edit–previously said Thompson didn’t graduate, but she stepped away from the program and graduated then grad transferred to ND.

Jana VanGytenbeek has been discussed.

Estella Moschkau, graduated as a junior and left the same season as Dodson and Carrington and played a graduate season at Wisconsin.

Kailee Johnson left the team after her junior season but remained at Stanford as a student.

Taylor Rooks is one of the other rare non-grad transfers. She played maybe one season at Stanford and transferred to Harvard I believe.

Jasmine Camp, was a redshirt Junior unsure of her status but not on the roster her senior season.

Toni Kokenis is a player who left the team but stayed on as a student.

Denia Ebersole was a walk-on, earned a 1 year scholarship, left the team and graduated from Stanford.

Aly Beebe is a play who had to medical retire from basketball but I believe stayed on as a student.

Sarah Boothe was a redshirt junior where the team had fifteen players the next season. Graduated.

So, I think it’s a fair assessment by @oldude

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NCAA granted all NCAA athletes active during the 2020-21 season an additional year of eligibility, regardless of Division level. Separately, the NAIA also granted an additional year of eligibility.

So the question relative to Soares is whether or not the NCAA will honor the NAIA 5th year eligibility for Soares to be able to play next season. I strongly suspect the NCAA will grant the extra year for Soares. I also suspect that Soares will remain at Iowa St for that 5th year.

Who really ever knows with the NCAA, but this was already supposed to be Soares's last year:
18-19: Year 1
19-20: Year 2
20-21: COVID year, does not count
21-22: Year 3
22-23: Year 4

They will make some kind of injury argument, but it really should not be accepted.

Reaction Score
Well if she wants to continue her basketball career, she had to transfer out due to the Ivy League Rules. She isn't turning her back on her teammates.
It's really sad the the Ivy League has chosen to remain an archaic monolith organization. Senior student athletes in good academic standing are being denied the opportunity to remain at their schools for the 5th (COVID) year. Just insane in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Geno needs another Big just for providing some breather minutes for AE and for insurance. My god, poor AE was run into the ground the 2nd half of the season playing all those minutes. It clearly affected her performance. The team is too imbalanced and needs more post support.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's really sad the the Ivy League has chosen to remain an archaic monolith organization. Senior student athletes in good academic standing are being denied the opportunity to remain at their schools for the 5th (COVID) year. Just insane in my opinion.
Since the Ivies don’t offer athletic scholarships, even if players were granted a 5th year of eligibility, how many would return if the option is, pay a hefty portion of tuition, room, board & fees vs a full ride somewhere else. Last years POY in the Ivy League ended up at MD, closer to home, with a full ride. Would Abby Myers have returned to Princeton for a 5th year if she could have?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Since this Thread is "the Transfer Portal Discussion," I came across this post and video that brings up some similar opinions from two seemingly different people: Michigan State's Tom Izzo and former Notre Dame center Natalie "Ace" Achonwa, who has worked with WNBA leadership councils and is one of the informal leaders of the Canadian National Women's team.

My takeaways:

Izzo: Is anyone going to learn to fail?

Ace: :Ease of transferring these days is devaluing the importance of making a decision & sticking by it."

Both acknowledge that there are situations that merit transfers, but the relative ease of it changes what were once athletic norms and, what I call, stick-to-it-niveness.

Something that I've been noticing recently is a correlation between some instances of coaching turnover and certain transfers. A number of programs that are trying to build or pull out of a struggle lose athletes they brought in to lead the charge or change efforts. And these athletes end up at programs that are already or just there: they "want to win."

Yes, the coach has to motivate/convince the players of his/her system and what can be gained overall by the stumbles and getting back up to ultimately achieve that end. But shouldn't the player recognize that, as well? Yes, it's not for everyone, but didn't they see that coming in?

Once again, I get numerous instances when folks should hit the door: bad -- even toxic -- fit, want to be closer to home, coaching change, etc. But I would like to see some of what Izzo and Ace are talking about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if someone like Ila Lane would fit the bill. She's a 6'4" C/F who just entered the portal out of UCSB.
I have a friend in Santa Barbara, and thus I have followed UCSB for a while. Ila Lane has been
a top rebounder for all her years at University of California, Santa Barbara. It is all documented
in the NCAA Women, Division I stats. Go to NCAA Division I, Stats and then to "rebounding". Click on the drop-down link for the full
list, i.e., beyond the top 10. I have not checked this lately, but she is a known quantity. Do we need
rebounding with Aaliyah, Amari, Jana, and ICE? Maybe. But I don't think Geno is interested in
a one-year player. Interesting stuff.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The transfer portal has been open for two days. Best NCAAW players so far:
Jayda Curry, Cal - Maria Gakdeng, Boston College - Kennedy Fauntleroy, Georgetown. Freshman of the Year!
Maria Gakdeng, probably the best player in the transfer portal so far. 11.3 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.8 blocks per game for Boston College.
Another Pitt women’s basketball player in the portal: Taisha Exanor (per source familiar with the situation). Has two years of eligibility left

Reaction Score
I don’t think Geno has ever enunciated a policy, but various remarks suggest a preference for players who have completed something at the previous school, like graduating or finishing 4 years. That describes Dorka and Lou. Evina was an exception, but I think there was a serious problem in Tennessee, and Geno kinda rescued her. There have probably been other exceptions too. But all things being equal, I suspect Geno favors grad transfers.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Geno has ever enunciated a policy, but various remarks suggest a preference for players who have completed something at the previous school, like graduating or finishing 4 years. That describes Dorka and Lou. Evina was an exception, but I think there was a serious problem in Tennessee, and Geno kinda rescued her. There have probably been other exceptions too. But all things being equal, I suspect Geno favors grad transfers.

Pretty sure Butler and Stevens weren't graduates either. And rescue E?? Sorry but no

Reaction Score
Ila Capri Lane, UC Santa Barbara is a 6'4" " post/forward in the portal. Grad transfer.
NOTE WELL: She wants to go to a master's program in Speech Language Pathology because UCSB does not
have this program ( this was her Head Coach speaking) UCONN DOES! Multiple graduate
programs == UCONN has a Master's Program in Speech
Language Pathology and 5 PH.D. programs in the UCONN Graduate program related to this
area. So,...consider Ila's stats: 11.8 ppg, 8.2 rebounds per game (this lead the league, Big West )
field goal % 54.5 ( lead the league ) 10 double doubles (lead the league ). She was
second team All Big West, the Gauchos record was 21 - 12, losing a heart breaker
to Hawaii to just miss the NCAA Tournament. Her # is 31.
I would think she would come if offered a spot. For no other reason that
it is UCONN and UCONN has the major she wants! Does GENO want an experienced
6'4" for insurance?? Even if she is a reserve/ backup this is a possible addition in my
way of thinking. Z

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Ila Capri Lane, UC Santa Barbara is a 6'4" " post/forward in the portal. Grad transfer.
NOTE WELL: She wants to go to a master's program in Speech Language Pathology because UCSB does not
have this program ( this was her Head Coach speaking) UCONN DOES! Multiple graduate
programs == UCONN has a Master's Program in Speech
Language Pathology and 5 PH.D. programs in the UCONN Graduate program related to this
area. So,...consider Ila's stats: 11.8 ppg, 8.2 rebounds per game (this lead the league, Big West )
field goal % 54.5 ( lead the league ) 10 double doubles (lead the league ). She was
second team All Big West, the Gauchos record was 21 - 12, losing a heart breaker
to Hawaii to just miss the NCAA Tournament. Her # is 31.
I would think she would come if offered a spot. For no other reason that
it is UCONN and UCONN has the major she wants! Does GENO want an experienced
6'4" for insurance?? Even if she is a reserve/ backup this is a possible addition in my
way of thinking. Z
Transfer from sunny CA to snowy CT and possibly sit on the bench. Hmmm.
(Even though her career is kinda comparable to Dorka's, Dorka knew she had 2 years. Ila only has 1.)
Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
(Even though her career is kinda comparable to Dorka's, Dorka knew she had 2 years. Ila only has 1.)
Just my opinion.
I agree. A transfer within California seems much more likely. Maybe UCLA or USC, both tournament teams that could really use another big.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd agree, next years team is gonna be loaded with outside shooters, and quick forwards for rebounding!
I think with the deep bench you'll also see Geno go back to full court pressure D!
Oh oh, predictions of full court pressure have been something of a jinx around here recently. :eek:;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just my opinion.
Illa is hardly Dorka. She is a big body who bangs in the paint. She has taken exactly zero 3-pt shots all season. She reminds me of ND’s Lauren Ebo.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion.
I just was providing some information on a " maybe". I agree with you!!

Reaction Score
Illa is hardly Dorka. She is a big body who bangs in the paint. She has taken exactly zero 3-pt shots all season. She reminds me of ND’s Lauren Ebo.
But... while I agree "Ila is hardly a DORKA" ( n. b. I have ordered a # 14 NIL UCONN sweatshirt !), Ila is trim,..
Lauren Ebo... well... not so trim! I have great hopes for Amari, Jana, ICE. However: Jana and ICE have no playing time
and, as of yet, Amari may or may not be a solution to a problem. so.... do we need insurance? The Shadow Knows! Z

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I only said comparable as it relates to their All Conference awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom