The Transfer Portal Discussion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Transfer Portal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Soares already grad-transferred once from her NAIA school to Iowa State. Don't think she would be immediately eligible if she transferred from Iowa State.
It's going to be interesting to see if she'll get a waiver considering she played a fair portion of the season.

@oldhuskie Per this article NAIA players got an extra year of eligibility however I don't know if it's transferrable when they move to NCAA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought she played 3 years at NAIA and then transferred to Iowa State for her senior year. Regardless one question I have is if she gets the extra Covid year or not. She was not a division 1 player during the covid season. So do Division 2 or 3 players, Juco, and NAIA all get the extra Covid year, or is it just players who were in Division 1 during the covid year?
The NCAA granted all NCAA athletes active during the 2020-21 season an additional year of eligibility, regardless of Division level. Separately, the NAIA also granted an additional year of eligibility.

So the question relative to Soares is whether or not the NCAA will honor the NAIA 5th year eligibility for Soares to be able to play next season. I strongly suspect the NCAA will grant the extra year for Soares. I also suspect that Soares will remain at Iowa St for that 5th year.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno will be looking for a transfer. We don't really need one, as far as I can see, and it interferes with the normal development of the players he so carefully recruited. The Covid-year will already be disruptive to them, suddenly introducing an upper-class competitor is bound to feel oppressive.

Reaction Score
I don't think you will see UCONN take a transfer. They have a lot of players coming back and have a big class coming in. They will have a couple tall girls plus AE and I really think when you look at the team next year you will see a smaller quicker team on the floor that will cause the teams they play to change to match up. Dorka is great but I don't think you need another big to fill her spot next season when you have so much fire power coming back.
I'd agree, next years team is gonna be loaded with outside shooters, and quick forwards for rebounding!
I think with the deep bench you'll also see Geno go back to full court pressure D!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd agree, next years team is gonna be loaded with outside shooters, and quick forwards for rebounding!
I think with the deep bench you'll also see Geno go back to full court pressure D!
I would not be surprised to see Geno toy with full court pressure this year during the Big Dance. It’s something UConn did earlier in the season when the Huskies were reasonably healthy, as they are once again.

Reaction Score
She is coming to Durham
It's kinda sad, actually. I read an article in the Yale paper about how she's the captain and the leader and emotionally bonded with all her teammates and everyone looks up to her, with quotes from her all full of feels about her role on the team and the other players. Now she's just throwing that all away. Buh bye.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's kinda sad, actually. I read an article in the Yale paper about how she's the captain and the leader and emotionally bonded with all her teammates and everyone looks up to her, with quotes from her all full of feels about her role on the team and the other players. Now she's just throwing that all away. Buh bye.

Well if she wants to continue her basketball career, she had to transfer out due to the Ivy League Rules. She isn't turning her back on her teammates.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well if she wants to continue her basketball career, she had to transfer out due to the Ivy League Rules. She isn't turning her back on her teammates.
There are currently 7 Ivy League grad transfers listed in the transfer portal, with more to come. Among those listed are a couple of pretty decent guards, McKenzie Forbes (Harvard) & Kayla Padilla (Penn), both of whom will be playing with their current teams in the WNIT.

Reaction Score
After the past 2 years of painful injuries, I'm for carrying 15 every year like we see Stanford and now SC do. For me, it's the one factor that we need to address.

if we've got a spot open for the year and there is someone like a Lou (skill and maturity) at any size but preferably big then grab her.....

Insurance is not just for your car, health, and home.....

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see Geno toy with full court pressure this year during the Big Dance. It’s something UConn did earlier in the season when the Huskies were reasonably healthy, as they are once again.
The players said as much in their post selection sunday interviews.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno will be looking for a transfer. We don't really need one, as far as I can see, and it interferes with the normal development of the players he so carefully recruited. The Covid-year will already be disruptive to them, suddenly introducing an upper-class competitor is bound to feel oppressive.
I am pretty sure statistically when the young Biggs were in the game for any length of time they were negative points so to bring in an experience big would only benefit the team. There is still plenty of time for the players on the team and those coming in to develop. There is a junior that still needs serious development a sophomore, thar showed almost no offense ,a sophomore that missed her freshman season that we know nothing about and a freshman that yes she got to see half of season this year, but we still don’t know anything about. Even if you brought in another big, Geno would be able to have a rotation with those players getting smaller amounts of minutes without hurting the team and yet still learning. Maybe Aubrey could stay at a more natural position and continue to grow her game. So in my opinion, and experience big could play the 4 or 5 giving Edwards bench time and pretty much just being a positive

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After the past 2 years of painful injuries, I'm for carrying 15 every year like we see Stanford and now SC do. For me, it's the one factor that we need to address.

if we've got a spot open for the year and there is someone like a Lou (skill and maturity) at any size but preferably big then grab her.....

Insurance is not just for your car, health, and home.....
Stanford can afford to carry 15 players because of the prestige associated with a Stanford degree. Kids stay for 4 years whether they’re playing or riding the bench. Every single WBB scholarship at Stanford is endowed by a well-heeled alumnus.

The kids that come to UConn all come to play, which is exactly as it should be. Trying to keep 15 players happy, when only 8-9 are playing regularly, at best, is a recipe to create disgruntled players.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Stanford can afford to carry 15 players because of the prestige associated with a Stanford degree. Kids stay for 4 years whether they’re playing or riding the bench.

The kids that come to UConn all come to play, which is exactly as it should be. Trying to keep 15 players happy, when only 8-9 are playing regularly, at best, is a recipe to create disgruntled players.
Not all stay 4 years. One transferred to Baylor this past offseason. Dijonae Carrington also transferred to Baylor, but that might have been as a 5th year grad transfer; same for one or two who transferred to Notre Dame.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think you will see UCONN take a transfer. They have a lot of players coming back and have a big class coming in. They will have a couple tall girls plus AE and I really think when you look at the team next year you will see a smaller quicker team on the floor that will cause the teams they play to change to match up. Dorka is great but I don't think you need another big to fill her spot next season when you have so much fire power coming back.
I think if Geno could find someone who brings in what Dorka does, he would jump all over it. The problem is it’s not easy to find someone that tall and that athletic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not all stay 4 years. One transferred to Baylor this past offseason. Dijonae Carrington also transferred to Baylor, but that might have been as a 5th year grad transfer; same for one or two who transferred to Notre Dame.
Carrington, like several other Stanford transfers, was a 5th year senior, and Tara had committed all her scholarships elsewhere. Von Gytenbeek is the player who transferred to Baylor after her sophomore season. It is highly unusual for an undergraduate to transfer from Stanford.

Von Gytenbeek got some PT at Stanford both years she was there, but wasn’t a regular rotation player. Unfortunately, that’s the same situation she’s stepped into at Baylor. If she was just looking for playing time, she probably should have stayed at Stanford for the degree.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think saying we just are looking for just a post is even too general. I would only be interested in a very good 5 not a 4, or at least a 4 that was very comfortable as a 5. We will probably still be pretty good at the 5 with Ice and Jana, but we are not experienced or proven there. A one year grad transfer rental would be perfect if one appears.

It's a longshot but my wish-list would include a couple of players whose senior years were ended by injury. They expected at this time to be getting ready for the WNBA draft. They now are faced with three possibilities. They could enter the draft, but they probably won't be recovered enough to be ready for the WNBA season, and for that reason may not be picked very high. They could of course return to their current team for a Covid year. Or they could try a new experience, perhaps filling the potential hole in the lineup for next year's championship favorite.

Like Lou or Dorka, get to experience Uconn, improve your draft status, and play on the biggest stage with a great chance at a championship season. It could be a special opportunity that is hard to pass up. As for who, I can think of two that would meet those criteria, so if I am allowed to dream, I would hope Ayoka Lee from Kansas State or Stephanie Soares would enter the portal.

Kansas State won't be a championship contender next year, and Iowa State will be pretty good, but they lose Joens so they might slip a little from this year, so that would be the appeal, the chance to be the cherry on top of a loaded lineup 1-4. I just mention these two because they are a fit for us and because of injuries in their senior year, face an uncertain future with several options.

Maybe nobody good enough enters the portal, that is quite possible, but then again, a couple of years ago I didn't expect two C's as talented as Dorka and Cardosa to be in the portal either.
I hear you about the Srs. but given what UConn will look like next year it is the rare player of any year who will think much of her chances for significant playing time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am not in favor (in general) of taking anyone from the portal. UCONN loses Dorka and Lou. 1 post, 1 guard/wing. We add:

Paige Bueckers
Ice Brady
Jana El Alfy
Ashlynn Shade
KK Arnold
Qadence Samuels

3 guards, 1 wing/forward, 2 posts

Jana, I believe, will be the tallest player on the team at 6'4"+, but I believe she's somewhat similar to Dorka - tall girl, not a banger, good in the post with post moves, but also a capable 3 point shooter.

6'3" Aaliyah and Ice will be the "strength" in the post. Hopefully Ayanna has a sophomore leap and can provide useful minutes. There are very few athletes in the country like Aubrey. So if you consider we have 5 post players (Edwards, El-Alfy, Brady, DeBerry, Patterson), 3 wing/forward players (Ducharme/Griffin/Samuels), and 6 guards (Bueckers, Fudd, Muhl, Shade, Arnold, Bettencourt).

Our depth will be insane - at every position in every possible way. That's 14 players. Room for 1 more I suppose, and if something perfect dropped our way, I think it would be great. It's also very likely that there will be injuries and illnesses next season, so it's probably that numerous players will miss numerous games. Hate to say it, but if recent history is any indication, we have to consider that...

BUT with 14 players and incredibly skilled depth at each position, I just don't think any additions are needed. Unless it's some kind of perfect fit...
I thought Amari was taller than Jana. According to the official roster she is 6'5" to Jana's 6'4". Really hoping that Amari puts on her Supergirl outfit and surprises us all.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
FWIW, there is (also) a Transfer Portal Announcements thread over on the General Women's Basketball area that tracks (mostly) factual announcements of goings. There will also be one for comings, when that starts clicking.

And, given that it's that time of year, 2022-23 Coaches Opening is also in the General area.

Reaction Score
You should have read this one that tells you she has no option at Yale.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Another reason to sue the Ivy League! :eek:

Until the covid year cycles through, the grad transfer market will continue to be strong because athletes who want go to grad school on scholarship may need to switch schools for the grad program they want. Grad school offerings are much less diverse than undergrad offerings at most schools.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Another reason to sue the Ivy League! :eek:

Until the covid year cycles through, the grad transfer market will continue to be strong because athletes who want go to grad school on scholarship may need to switch schools for the grad program they want. Grad school offerings are much less diverse than undergrad offerings at most schools.
Most of the major non-Ivy Men's Lacrosse programs have made this part of their recruiting strategy: pick up Ivy Leaguers who have run their 4-year course at an Ivy and get them for a year. Programs like my alma mater get All-American or All-Ivey performers while the students get one more year and (at least) one year of grad school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom