The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions

Reaction Score
I don't see Akok starting but I'd love to be wrong on that. If he has improved so much that he forces his way into the starting lineup then we're golden.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed with the little respect Whaley gets here. He’s a damn good player and dependable now, he’s getting lots of minutes.
I hope you are not referring this to my post prior to yours where I have Whaley coming off the bench for Sanogo. I have the utmost respect for IW. He is a warrior on the court, I just don't want to see 2 tough players (Sanogo and Whaley) on the court at the start of the game before there is any flow to it. That is where the senseless fouls are usually called. Starting does not equate to less minutes coming off the bench. Plus IW can get better perspective of how the game is going when he comes in. Again, just my opinion.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UConn finally has a full roster of good players and fans don't know how to deal with it

I continue to decline speculation regarding starting lineups, but instrad wonder each time how many games out of 10 might be won by the 'second' 5+1 in a head-to-head.

I hope this means that practice competition will be amazing and elevate everybody.

So much remains as yet unproven, that I keep thinking there isn't a definitive drop-off. It's in the nature of this type of thread, but there seems to be more, "We just don't know" than any year I can recall.

Reaction Score
Whaley a backup? He’s emerged as a major force and he’s doing a 5th year. Hurley is way more loyal than that. Akok has to prove himself, though our expectations are sky high. Is he sturdy enough to rebound and bang down low? Sanogo is a starter with Whaley. Not sure Jackson is a starter yet. So- Whaley, Sanogo, Cole Martin and Gaffney. Mark that down.
Zero chance that AJax isn’t starting.

Reaction Score
I will say Cole, Martin, AJax, Whaley and Sanogo starting Game 1. Akok first one off the bench. Diggins and Hawkins could definitely get some run. Hoping Gaff steps up though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whaley a backup? He’s emerged as a major force and he’s doing a 5th year. Hurley is way more loyal than that. Akok has to prove himself, though our expectations are sky high. Is he sturdy enough to rebound and bang down low? Sanogo is a starter with Whaley. Not sure Jackson is a starter yet. So- Whaley, Sanogo, Cole Martin and Gaffney. Mark that down.

An entire front court of which none can make a 3???? Yeah, that ain't happening.

Reaction Score
Akok has the type of game that theoretically would fit better alongside Sanogo in the starting lineup. But Whaley recently said he wants to be the national defensive player of the year. You don’t have those type of goals if you think you may come off the bench. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The good thing is that if Whaley isn’t a starter he will handle it well.

Reaction Score
One average shooter for his position and four who can't shoot. Nope. Not gonna happen.
I think that’s a very possible starting lineup. Hurley has shown so far that his starting lineups are based on who’s doing well in practice rather than optimal spacing or chemistry.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think that’s a very possible starting lineup. Hurley has shown so far that his starting lineups are based on who’s doing well in practice rather than optimal spacing or chemistry.

Is that an endorsement or indictment of his coaching?

Reaction Score
I hope you are not referring this to my post prior to yours where I have Whaley coming off the bench for Sanogo. I have the utmost respect for IW. He is a warrior on the court, I just don't want to see 2 tough players (Sanogo and Whaley) on the court at the start of the game before there is any flow to it. That is where the senseless fouls are usually called. Starting does not equate to less minutes coming off the bench. Plus IW can get better perspective of how the game is going when he comes in. Again, just my opinion.

Not singling any one poster out there’s many more than I thought. He deserves to start and will he’s been that good. He and Sanogo together it’s up to others to win the other 3 whether it’s Cole, AJ and Martin or another trio we will see. Certainly need people to put it in the hole but need to defend and rebound as well. Will be interesting but I can’t see a lineup without Whaley in it he’s been so solid.

Reaction Score

I’m not sure that’s accurate, especially when everyone‘s showing the same energy/commitment level. With the notable exception of working in a freshman when he’s ready (James would have started from the beginning, but you know…), the preference is for defined roles for both starters and reserves as early as possible. They’re past the days of interchangeable mediocrity when intangibles might earn a guy something. The talent is separating itself within this group, that’s who you’ll see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m amazed with the little respect Whaley gets here. He’s a damn good player and dependable now, he’s getting lots of minutes.
Was healthy Akok even better than the Whaley we saw last season + in the 2H of 2019-2020 season? I don't think so...

I love Akok and hope he crushes it in his return, but you said it best - Whaley deserves a lot more respect here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not singling any one poster out there’s many more than I thought. He deserves to start and will he’s been that good. He and Sanogo together it’s up to others to win the other 3 whether it’s Cole, AJ and Martin or another trio we will see. Certainly need people to put it in the hole but need to defend and rebound as well. Will be interesting but I can’t see a lineup without Whaley in it he’s been so solid.

If Whaley is going to get minutes alongside Sanogo he absolutely has to be assertive in shooting the pick and pop 3 pointer.
Sanogo has shown to be a more efficient inside scorer and there isn't room for both Whaley and Sanogo in the post. Sanogo is the primary post player and offensive threat when he is in the game.

I was a big fan last year of Whaley taking 3's. His percentage wasn't great but the offensive sets gave home 3-5 solid looks where he would catch with his feet set and shoulders squared up. I'm not expecting him to come off screens and be shooting 3's on the move. Bit he can be an effective stationary shooter. If Whaley can't do that his time on the floor with Sanogo will go down.

I also fully expect several games where Sanogo is in foul trouble and is riding the bench. Whaley will get games with 35 minutes. I think his normal playing time this year is 25-28 minutes.

He is obviously a plus rim protector and phenomenal defender on pick and roll. He's also real good on offensive glass and running the floor.

His FT shooting and post play in half court sets will affect his playing time at end of games. Can easily see offense/defense substitutions with Sanogo and him at end of games.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Half the incoming guys won't play much. Half the guys didn't play much last year, won't play much this year. Guys who aren't all in won't play much,

It will sort itself out one way or another, no need to come up with some plan to force guys onto the floor.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Don’t look for Springs or Sanogo to play much. Injuries and who’s the hot hand will play out. If Gaffney plays the same as last year the guys behind him will get the minutes.
Did you mean to reference Samson Johnson instead of Sanogo? Sanogo is going to be playing for 1st team all BE this year

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We could just go big or small platoons.

PG: Jackson
SG: Akok
SF: Whaley
PF: Sanogo
C: Johnson

PG: Sool
SG: Cole
SF: Gaffney
PF: Floyd
C: Hawkins
Colin Gillespie says bring on the small platoon

Attachments

• 4CF6391E-F4E3-4847-B63C-49F3BBB7E298.jpeg
    4CF6391E-F4E3-4847-B63C-49F3BBB7E298.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 83

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m not sure that’s accurate, especially when everyone‘s showing the same energy/commitment level. With the notable exception of working in a freshman when he’s ready (James would have started from the beginning, but you know…), the preference is for defined roles for both starters and reserves as early as possible. They’re past the days of interchangeable mediocrity when intangibles might earn a guy something. The talent is separating itself within this group, that’s who you’ll see.
Each position has a guy better…and younger the next. What a position to be in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Zero chance Whaley isn't starting >80% of the games. How many games did KFree and Adrien start on the bench as seniors?

Reaction Score
how many games out of 10 might be won by the 'second' 5+1 in a head-to-head.
if it's top 6 v bottom 6 in a scrimmage i'd guess the second string could take 2 out of 10 games due to the front court disparity

cole v digg
gaff v hawk
martin v jackson
whaley v johnson
sanogo v springs

B=akok v polley

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads