The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions

Reaction Score
An entire front court of which none can make a 3???? Yeah, that ain't happening.
sanogo, whaley, and martin were the starting frontcourt last year so what do you propose instead? jackson over martin doesnt help with shooting and neither does akok over whaley.

polley or hawkins over martin is the easy answer but i'm not betting on it. hopefully hawk eventually starts but he might replace gaffney at SG not martin at SF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sanogo, whaley, and martin were the starting frontcourt last year so what do you propose instead? jackson over martin doesnt help with shooting and neither does akok over whaley.

polley or hawkins over martin is the easy answer but i'm not betting on it. hopefully hawk eventually starts but he might replace gaffney at SG not martin at SF.

Jamie Foxx Shrug GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You realize that front court resulted in a first round upset lost, correct?

Reaction Score
Sorry I meant Samson…I think Sanogo is our best offensive weapon
I figured that was what you meant. No way someone could be that insane even on this board. lol. I agree to an extent. I dont think Springs will see much pt and Samson will get more than you think.

Reaction Score
You realize that front court resulted in a first round upset lost, correct?
i'm not expecting much more this season...next year is when we take the big leap. i take it you think polley and/or hawkins will be the starting SFs? where do you expect the automatic improvement in shooting is coming from otherwise?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sure that’s accurate, especially when everyone‘s showing the same energy/commitment level. With the notable exception of working in a freshman when he’s ready (James would have started from the beginning, but you know…), the preference is for defined roles for both starters and reserves as early as possible. They’re past the days of interchangeable mediocrity when intangibles might earn a guy something. The talent is separating itself within this group, that’s who you’ll see.

Was about to say something similar. Hurley clearly wants a guy with an Akok-type skillset at the 4. Whaley is just this weird enigma where he's obviously too good to sit but also not quite skilled enough to play the 4. Unique guy and I imagine the battle for minutes at the 4 will be intense.

If whaley can take 3-4 or more shots from deep a game and hit 35%, he's the starter.

Reaction Score
Put me in the "a terrible first round exit is hardly something to be excited over" camp. Our front court was great getting on the boards and Sanogo is a future star.... but we ished the bed vs Maryland. Players, coaching staff, even the damn ball boy. Really everyone but Gaff.

Front court clearly had issues. Martin couldn't shoot, Akok was half of himself, and Whaley was too afraid to shoot despite being pretty good. Whoever of Martin, Whaley, Akok and Samson can shoot the best should get the minutes. Especially if we're expecting big mimures for Jackson at the 3. We know 3/4 of those guys can defend. All about spacing to open up driving lanes and easy kick outs. And especially to give Sanogo space to operate 1v1. NO ONE is stopping him in the post alone.

Reaction Score
i'm not expecting much more this season...next year is when we take the big leap. i take it you think polley and/or hawkins will be the starting SFs? where do you expect the automatic improvement in shooting is coming from otherwise?
This is a top 3 seed and sweet 16 team. This season.

Reaction Score
This is a top 3 seed and sweet 16 team. This season.
A top 3 seed in the BE not the ncaa’s. Would be thrilled with a 5 or 6 seed. I think the floor is another first round loss and the ceiling is making the sweet 16

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
An entire front court of which none can make a 3???? Yeah, that ain't happening.
Exactly why Polley will play more than the BY thinks. I’ll bet he gets 17-20 minutes at the 3-4. In todays game shooting is exceedingly important. You’re much easier to defend if you can’t make them respect … no, fear … you outside the arc.

Reaction Score
A top 3 seed in the BE not the ncaa’s. Would be thrilled with a 5 or 6 seed. I think the floor is another first round loss and the ceiling is making the sweet 16
We`ll see.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You realize that front court got us into the first round correct?

At no point should should a team which loses in first round of NCAA ha e any starters guaranteed to keep their spots.

There is front court talent on this year's team which can get this team to the second weekend.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've gone on record of saying Cole, Gaff, Jackson, Akok and Sanogo as starting five for first game.

Reaction Score
I've gone on record of saying Cole, Gaff, Jackson, Akok and Sanogo as starting five for first game.
I have Tyrese over Jackson but really like that for starters for the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed with the little respect Whaley gets here. He’s a damn good player and dependable now, he’s getting lots of minutes.
I agree, Whaley gets dumped on while Jackson gets elevated to star status. I love Jackson’s athleticism and passing ability, but he needs to develop an outside shot and work on his handle.

Reaction Score
you categorically dismissed the frontcourt of martin, whaley and sanogo because "none can make a 3" yet aj and akok were each worse 3 pt shooters last year than martin and whaley

i too hope aj and akok have made massive strides but it's by no means a given theyll be better shooters than the 2 seniors this year. i think whaley in particular will have worked to make the corner 3 a big part of his game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At no point should should a team which loses in first round of NCAA ha e any starters guaranteed to keep their spots.

There is front court talent on this year's team which can get this team to the second weekend.
Im not talking about guaranteeing anything im just making a point that this is a new year and guys get better. In fact i agree with your point.

Reaction Score
I’m changing my 5. Sanogo, Whaley, Polley, Gaffney and Cole. The starting 5 doesn’t stay in that long because a couple quick fouls has the bench in immediate motion. Sanogo and Polley go out, Martin and Akok go in. It;s a nice problem to have. I just don’t have a feel for the new players not having seen them. I always say that by Jan 1st we’ll have a good idea on this. Let’s not forget that injuries always play a role but hope not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
you categorically dismissed the frontcourt of martin, whaley and sanogo because "none can make a 3" yet aj and akok were each worse 3 pt shooters last year than martin and whaley

i too hope aj and akok have made massive strides but it's by no means a given theyll be better shooters than the 2 seniors this year. i think whaley in particular will have worked to make the corner 3 a big part of his game.

I want Whaley taking more 3's.

Dilemma is last season Whaley was touching the ball on the perimeter enough and was getting good looks at 3's but was hesitant to pull the trigger

Akok is much more aggressive looking to shoot 3's and I believe he will have a high enough percentage to force the defense to aggressively defend him.

Whaley gave defense time to adjust and close out on him nullifying the good looks.

I mentioned earlier on this thread or a different thread that I think Whaley can make a decent percentage from 3. Whichever big is on the floor with Sanogo has to shoot 3's.
This team can't play long periods with two bigs and that is partly due to neither Martin or Jackson being even average shooters and Cole and Gaff only being average shooters compared to high level D1 guards.

Reaction Score
I’m changing my 5. Sanogo, Whaley, Polley, Gaffney and Cole. The starting 5 doesn’t stay in that long because a couple quick fouls has the bench in immediate motion. Sanogo and Polley go out, Martin and Akok go in. It;s a nice problem to have. I just don’t have a feel for the new players not having seen them. I always say that by Jan 1st we’ll have a good idea on this. Let’s not forget that injuries always play a role but hope not.
Neither Gaff or Polly start without a huge jump in skills and athleticism. If they make the jump, great but neither have consistently shown anything that gives them the start.

Reaction Score
Neither Gaff or Polly start without a huge jump in skills and athleticism. If they make the jump, great but neither have consistently shown anything that gives them the start.
It’s not about skill to start the game for Hurley. It’s about experience and loyalty to the program.

Reaction Score
It’s not about skill to start the game for Hurley. It’s about experience and loyalty to the program.
Don’t think that’s true or Carlton would’ve been starting for us to begin last season. I remember thinking the same thing, “No way Carlton won’t start. He’s a 3 year starter and a senior.” Wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom