The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Thirteen guys, all capable of contributing -- how to play them? Four possible solutions,

The Stud Solution:
You don't choose this one; it forces itself upon you. You wake up one morning and find yourself with an NBA-caliber stud at each position. Each has got to play 30-32 minutes . Doesn't matter how many other competent players are crying for time. These five gotta play. Everyone else must adjust. Stud candidates might be Sanogo at C, Akok at PF, Jackson, Hawkins or Floyd at the SF/SG. Less likely stud at PG, unless Diggins blossoms, but Cole could end up as a 30-32 minute guy by default. This solution leaves the other eight players as strictly spot-subs, a few minutes here, a few minutes there. So be it. You don't sit a stud.

The Platoon Solution:
Hate to suggest this, since it never seems to work. You have a starting five, which you sit at the 12-13 minute mark. You substitute enmasse a second 5 down to the last 4-5 minutes.. You mix and match to the buzzer depending on hot hand, fouls, match-ups, etc. Ten guys get to play most of the game. The other 3 split the rest. Lacking studs, this is a tempting solution, since it exploits all your talent and creates team cohesion.

The Seat Of The Pants Solution:
In this solution you have an arbitrary starting five, frequently changing, and your substitutions are strictly a response to events on the court. It is twenty minutes of mix and match. There can be any five men on the floor at any time. It is the best solution for instantly matching talent to the situation, but it sacrifices team cohesion, makes everyone a role player, challenges the development of team leadership. More than a solution, it seems like lack of a solution.

The Likely Solution:
Likeliest is that a stud or two is identified, and together with Cole at PG, they nail down 30-32 minute roles. Likeliest candidates are Sanogo and Akok, with Whaley and Johnson settling in as back-ups. The SF/SG positions remain a mix-and-match all year long among 5 or 6 players. The challenge will be to achieve some degree of cohesion with all the in-and-out on the wing. It is unlikely also that any team leadership will come such a 2-3 rotation. That mantle will rest on Cole alone. Clearly, even the likeliest solution presents a coaching challenge.

Thoughts?
It's absolutely insane you think that whaley won't be out on that court 30 minutes a game. We're not sitting the best defender in the conference and one of the best defenders in the country to get young guys minutes. Whaleys here and it's not to play a back up role lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Akok has the type of game that theoretically would fit better alongside Sanogo in the starting lineup. But Whaley recently said he wants to be the national defensive player of the year. You don’t have those type of goals if you think you may come off the bench. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The good thing is that if Whaley isn’t a starter he will handle it well.

Akok also fits really well with Whaley as the 5. If we are going to let Whaley hedge as a 5, we have to have a legit rim protector at the 4. It's possible that Johnson also fills that need, or even Springs. But Martin doesn't and Polley sure as hell doesn't.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Akok also fits really well with Whaley as the 5. If we are going to let Whaley hedge as a 5, we have to have a legit rim protector at the 4. It's possible that Johnson also fills that need, or even Springs. But Martin doesn't and Polley sure as hell doesn't.

Agree Akok and Whaley can play well together and gives UConn some great defensive options.

Dilemma is this combo removes Sanogo. As much as I would love to see Akok be able to play SF, I don't see anyway Akok, Whaley and Sanogo play together based off what we know of their skillsets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's absolutely insane you think that whaley won't be out on that court 30 minutes a game. We're not sitting the best defender in the conference and one of the best defenders in the country to get young guys minutes. Whaleys here and it's not to play a back up role lol

I'll go on record saying Whaley doesn't play 30 mpg if everyone stays healthy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I don't think anybody is going to play 30 minutes aside from Cole. The team is too deep. Whaley is a nice, useful player, but he isn't a true 5 and doesn't have the skill set for a modern 4. We will find minutes for him, but that doesn't mean he's a starter if Akok emerges at the 4. Hurley's challenge will be how he matches up with the opposing team and how he fits our pieces together. I really don't want to see Polley on the court with Whaley at the 5 for example, it makes us too vulnerable in the paint.

We have to hope some guys show more than they have. Gaffney needs to be consistently aggressive, Whaley needs to shoot better, Martin needs to shoot better, AJax needs to shoot much better, Sanogo needs to be a threat from 10-15 feet and avoid fouls, Akok needs to shoot, drive and defend without fouling.

Reaction Score
You're right. My thought is that Hurley invested so much into Sanogo's development last season that he would only play him more, not less this season and he's locked into a starting position. I could be wrong of course.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody is going to play 30 minutes aside from Cole. The team is too deep. Whaley is a nice, useful player, but he isn't a true 5 and doesn't have the skill set for a modern 4. We will find minutes for him, but that doesn't mean he's a starter if Akok emerges at the 4. Hurley's challenge will be how he matches up with the opposing team and how he fits our pieces together. I really don't want to see Polley on the court with Whaley at the 5 for example, it makes us too vulnerable in the paint.

We have to hope some guys show more than they have. Gaffney needs to be consistently aggressive, Whaley needs to shoot better, Martin needs to shoot better, AJax needs to shoot much better, Sanogo needs to be a threat from 10-15 feet and avoid fouls, Akok needs to shoot, drive and defend without fouling.

If your second paragraph comes true we would be a top 5 team in the country. 1 guy shooting better would be nice.

And Sanogo shouldn't shooter mid range shots as part of our offensive structure. No one should. It's a counter to a 3 point close out or a last ditch effort to beat the clock

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If your second paragraph comes true we would be a top 5 team in the country. 1 guy shooting better would be nice.

And Sanogo shouldn't shooter mid range shots as part of our offensive structure. No one should. It's a counter to a 3 point close out or a last ditch effort to beat the clock

I think every 5 needs a midrange jumper in the arsenal, I know it’s not what the metrics like. But what I really meant was being able to put it on the floor from there, and get to the rim or close enough for his baby hook.

You're right. My thought is that Hurley invested so much into Sanogo's development last season that he would only play him more, not less this season and he's locked into a starting position. I could be wrong of course.

I think he’s a lock to start. I think averaging 30 minutes is a lot to ask of a young big due to conditioning and fouls. He’s a unique weapon and matchup problem for almost everyone we play.

Reaction Score

I am not understanding your second paragraph. Are you saying that Sanogo should not be shooting mid range jump shots? Neither anyone else?

Reaction Score
I am not understanding your second paragraph. Are you saying that Sanogo should not be shooting mid range jump shots? Neither anyone else?

Correct. It shouldn't be a part of our offense unless a shooter (especially Polley and Hawkins) gets chased off the line, a last second attemp, or if the offense is totally broken. It's bad metrics.

A 30% 3 point shooter (pretty bad) is worth as much as a 45% mid-range shooter (pretty darn good). Simply doesn't make sense. And you aren't nearly as lilely to fouled taking a mid range J as a layup. Take a step out and shoot the 3, take it to the hole, or kick it.

The best coaches in the world discoursge mid-range shots for a reason. That isn't to say you don't ever take them. Just that you don't draw up plays to get them. You train your guys to set screens that angle them for the layup or 3, same goes for cutting, etc.

Reaction Score
Correct. It shouldn't be a part of our offense unless a shooter (especially Polley and Hawkins) gets chased off the line, a last second attemp, or if the offense is totally broken. It's bad metrics.

A 30% 3 point shooter (pretty bad) is worth as much as a 45% mid-range shooter (pretty darn good). Simply doesn't make sense. And you aren't nearly as lilely to fouled taking a mid range J as a layup. Take a step out and shoot the 3, take it to the hole, or kick it.

The best coaches in the world discoursge mid-range shots for a reason. That isn't to say you don't ever take them. Just that you don't draw up plays to get them. You train your guys to set screens that angle them for the layup or 3, same goes for cutting, etc.
Mmmmm, not seeing it. Really to keep a defenses honest you would need to have that mid range for the big guy (Sanogo) or whoever you have at the 4/5 spot or guards to sneak in. You most certainly get fouled in the paint, the other players on D collapse, reach ect... more prone for a foul and 1. Agree with a foot or 2 near the 3 line (go for the 3) all in the flow of the game though.

Reaction Score
Mmmmm, not seeing it. Really to keep a defenses honest you would need to have that mid range for the big guy (Sanogo) or whoever you have at the 4/5 spot or guards to sneak in. You most certainly get fouled in the paint, the other players on D collapse, reach ect... more prone for a foul and 1. Agree with a foot or 2 near the 3 line (go for the 3) all in the flow of the game though.
It's simple math, on 100 shots a 30% 3 point shooter will hit 30 shots or 90 points. A 45% mid range shooter will hit 45 shots worth 90 points.

Your argument of needing a guy to be in the mid range doesn't really make sense either. All the things you list are things that happen in the paint, not midrange. I think you're confusing don't take midrange shots with don't draw up plays to get midrange shots. If Sanogo is in a pick and pop situation and the defense keeps sagging off him, then yeah you have to take one every once in a while to keep the defense honest. But when building an offense you want Sanogo in the post with 4 guys around the perimeter where he's at his best and its tough to double him

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's simple math, on 100 shots a 30% 3 point shooter will hit 30 shots or 90 points. A 45% mid range shooter will hit 45 shots worth 90 points.

Your argument of needing a guy to be in the mid range doesn't really make sense either. All the things you list are things that happen in the paint, not midrange. I think you're confusing don't take midrange shots with don't draw up plays to get midrange shots. If Sanogo is in a pick and pop situation and the defense keeps sagging off him, then yeah you have to take one every once in a while to keep the defense honest. But when building an offense you want Sanogo in the post with 4 guys around the perimeter where he's at his best and its tough to double him

It's great when teams go zone and you need someone to flash to the high post who can score, reverse the ball or use a fake and one dribble to get to the blocks.

Is a team looking for 15 footers every possession? No. Is it advantageous to have a 4/5 who can make 15 footers forcing opposing coach to adapt? You betcha.

Reaction Score

Yup, in my head I was in the paint instead around the 22ft or so in. I need a drink, wow!

Reaction Score
Neither Gaff or Polly start without a huge jump in skills and athleticism. If they make the jump, great but neither have consistently shown anything that gives them the start.
I agree, the 3 I expect to start, barring injuries, are Sanogo, Whaley and Cole. The other 2 are up for grabs In practice. We definitely need another shooter or 2 on the floor with Cole.

Reaction Score

Sanogo has to stay out of foul trouble to get deep minutes (30) in a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom