The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions | The Boneyard

The Roster Jam -- Four Possible Solutions

Reaction Score
Thirteen guys, all capable of contributing -- how to play them? Four possible solutions,

The Stud Solution:
You don't choose this one; it forces itself upon you. You wake up one morning and find yourself with an NBA-caliber stud at each position. Each has got to play 30-32 minutes . Doesn't matter how many other competent players are crying for time. These five gotta play. Everyone else must adjust. Stud candidates might be Sanogo at C, Akok at PF, Jackson, Hawkins or Floyd at the SF/SG. Less likely stud at PG, unless Diggins blossoms, but Cole could end up as a 30-32 minute guy by default. This solution leaves the other eight players as strictly spot-subs, a few minutes here, a few minutes there. So be it. You don't sit a stud.

The Platoon Solution:
Hate to suggest this, since it never seems to work. You have a starting five, which you sit at the 12-13 minute mark. You substitute enmasse a second 5 down to the last 4-5 minutes.. You mix and match to the buzzer depending on hot hand, fouls, match-ups, etc. Ten guys get to play most of the game. The other 3 split the rest. Lacking studs, this is a tempting solution, since it exploits all your talent and creates team cohesion.

The Seat Of The Pants Solution:
In this solution you have an arbitrary starting five, frequently changing, and your substitutions are strictly a response to events on the court. It is twenty minutes of mix and match. There can be any five men on the floor at any time. It is the best solution for instantly matching talent to the situation, but it sacrifices team cohesion, makes everyone a role player, challenges the development of team leadership. More than a solution, it seems like lack of a solution.

The Likely Solution:
Likeliest is that a stud or two is identified, and together with Cole at PG, they nail down 30-32 minute roles. Likeliest candidates are Sanogo and Akok, with Whaley and Johnson settling in as back-ups. The SF/SG positions remain a mix-and-match all year long among 5 or 6 players. The challenge will be to achieve some degree of cohesion with all the in-and-out on the wing. It is unlikely also that any team leadership will come such a 2-3 rotation. That mantle will rest on Cole alone. Clearly, even the likeliest solution presents a coaching challenge.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
The platoon solution never works unless its an easy blowout.

Unfortunately, usually the solution is that injuries cut down the amount of available guys and one other guy gets doghoused. Then all of a sudden you have a nice 8-9 man rotation.

Reaction Score
Nice work, @Sphinx.

I honestly can see this team finish the season without a single player averaging 30+ mpg.

Last year we had three: Bouk (31.7), Cole (31.3) and Martin (30.1).

Cole had to play 30+ minutes last season because we did not have a capable point guard behind him. With Diggins in the mix, he'll play at least 10 mpg spelling Cole and I don't see them ever sharing the floor together.

Martin played about a third of his minutes at the 4 last season, but with Akok and Jackson healthy, Whaley/Polley back, Johnson/Springs around too, I don't see him being needed for as many minutes as last year. He's still valuable, but not a 30 minutes guy.

As good as Sanogo is, I don't see him ever being a 30 minute guy. At that size, he will be most effective at 25-27 minutes a game to allow him to stay fresh, bruise his way on the post and avoid foul trouble. If I were Hurley, I'd sit him near TV timeouts to maximize his rest while keeping on the floor as long as possible

Our last 30+ minute big? Gavin Edwards in 09-10 (what a trivia question I bet no one would have guessed without looking it up!)

Reaction Score
Don’t look for Springs or Sanogo to play much. Injuries and who’s the hot hand will play out. If Gaffney plays the same as last year the guys behind him will get the minutes.

Reaction Score
Thirteen guys, all capable of contributing -- how to play them? Four possible solutions,

The Stud Solution:
You don't choose this one; it forces itself upon you. You wake up one morning and find yourself with an NBA-caliber stud at each position. Each has got to play 30-32 minutes . Doesn't matter how many other competent players are crying for time. These five gotta play. Everyone else must adjust. Stud candidates might be Sanogo at C, Akok at PF, Jackson, Hawkins or Floyd at the SF/SG. Less likely stud at PG, unless Diggins blossoms, but Cole could end up as a 30-32 minute guy by default. This solution leaves the other eight players as strictly spot-subs, a few minutes here, a few minutes there. So be it. You don't sit a stud.

The Platoon Solution:
Hate to suggest this, since it never seems to work. You have a starting five, which you sit at the 12-13 minute mark. You substitute enmasse a second 5 down to the last 4-5 minutes.. You mix and match to the buzzer depending on hot hand, fouls, match-ups, etc. Ten guys get to play most of the game. The other 3 split the rest. Lacking studs, this is a tempting solution, since it exploits all your talent and creates team cohesion.

The Seat Of The Pants Solution:
In this solution you have an arbitrary starting five, frequently changing, and your substitutions are strictly a response to events on the court. It is twenty minutes of mix and match. There can be any five men on the floor at any time. It is the best solution for instantly matching talent to the situation, but it sacrifices team cohesion, makes everyone a role player, challenges the development of team leadership. More than a solution, it seems like lack of a solution.

The Likely Solution:
Likeliest is that a stud or two is identified, and together with Cole at PG, they nail down 30-32 minute roles. Likeliest candidates are Sanogo and Akok, with Whaley and Johnson settling in as back-ups. The SF/SG positions remain a mix-and-match all year long among 5 or 6 players. The challenge will be to achieve some degree of cohesion with all the in-and-out on the wing. It is unlikely also that any team leadership will come such a 2-3 rotation. That mantle will rest on Cole alone. Clearly, even the likeliest solution presents a coaching challenge.

Thoughts?
Whaley a backup? He’s emerged as a major force and he’s doing a 5th year. Hurley is way more loyal than that. Akok has to prove himself, though our expectations are sky high. Is he sturdy enough to rebound and bang down low? Sanogo is a starter with Whaley. Not sure Jackson is a starter yet. So- Whaley, Sanogo, Cole Martin and Gaffney. Mark that down.

Reaction Score
Whaley a backup? He’s emerged as a major force and he’s doing a 5th year. Hurley is way more loyal than that. Akok has to prove himself, though our expectations are sky high. Is he sturdy enough to rebound and bang down low? Sanogo is a starter with Whaley. Not sure Jackson is a starter yet. So- Whaley, Sanogo, Cole Martin and Gaffney. Mark that down.
I agree with your day 1 starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Also, two fouls on any position in the first 5 minutes of the game. No problem, bring in the reinforcements...
We really need to cut back on the fouls though. Free throws win games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I tend to agree with those starters on day one. But yes, I think Akok can push Whaley to a backup role. I also think Jackson, if he shows some shooting touch pushes Gaffney or Martin to the bench. Martin, if he shoots like he did when Bouk was out, is very hard to push to the bench, given defense, rebounding and ball handling versatility. If he is the bricklayer he was late last year, time for pine. Gaffney has to be good Gaffney. He's a total question mark. We all see the flashes, and then he disappears on offense and gets torched on D. Hawkins is going to be pushing for the SG spot, especially if his D is as good as advertised. That means Gaffney has to also fight Diggins for backup PG minutes.

Cole and Sanogo are locks. Everybody else is fighting with at least one and in some cases two capable guys for minutes. The guys who get it done in all phases of the game are going to play. I think we've seen UConn teams with this much depth. I don't think we've seen UConn teams with this much depth and so much uncertainty about who is going to see significant playing time.

Reaction Score
Hurley has the same problem as all coaches, guys with talent that want pt. Waiting for them to breakout and take the floor time, but rebounding is a big key and Whaley and Martin will be on the floor because of that a lot.

Reaction Score
I somewhat like that line up but if Whaley or Sanogo get in to early foul trouble who do you put in now? Yes you have Tyrese, Springs? Johnson?
I would like to See:
RJ
Gaffney
Akok
Tyrese
Sanogo

I like Whaley coming in for Sanogo, just because he doesn't start it does not relate to being a back up. He will get a lot of minutes. Then it's up to Hurley from my stand point to interwind everybody else. Lol

Reaction Score
somewhat like that line up but if Whaley or Sanogo get in to early foul trouble who do you put in now? Yes you have Tyrese, Springs? Johnson?
I would like to See:
RJ
Gaffney
Akok
Tyrese
Sanogo
akok is not a SF. if whaley and sanogo are starting and one of them get into foul trouble then akok comes in at PF and either whaley shifts to C or sanogo stays at C

Reaction Score
akok is not a SF. if whaley and sanogo are starting and one of them get into foul trouble then akok comes in at PF and either whaley shifts to C or sanogo stays at C
Mmm. Still not crazy with that scenario. We will see though.

Reaction Score
Mmm. Still not crazy with that scenario. We will see though.
martin isnt playing PF this year we have 4 other guys on the roster that are more natural PFs in whaley akok samson and springs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
martin isnt playing PF this year we have 4 other guys on the roster that are more natural PFs in whaley akok samson and springs
It's such a log jam there. They are mostly interchangeable. Akok is a wild card there. The rest though I'm high on Samson is a freshman and not proven yet in college ball but should acclimate quickly. Tyrese will certainly play PF at times thorough out the season. Springs should get some nice runs this year.

Reaction Score
It's such a log jam there. They are mostly interchangeable. Akok is a wild card there. The rest though I'm high on Samson is a freshman and not proven yet in college ball but should acclimate quickly. Tyrese will certainly play PF at times thorough out the season. Springs should get some nice runs this year.
If Samson and Springs are getting minutes and Martin is even playing the 4, who's out of the rotation? We're certainly not running out a 12 or 13 man rotation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom