The rest of the season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The rest of the season

Reaction Score
I’m a big fan of not being the biggest joke in college football.

The pay games like Michigan aren’t going anywhere. Might as well load up on as many winnable games as possible.
No attack but who would possibly be a fan of being the biggest joke in football? Not many here I am sure. ;)

The second comment on pay games explains no knowledge of how much ching it takes to run a D1 program. That and we are a state school with reins in all directions along with dept.
As an D1 independent it is imperative to play a challenging schedule for recruiting purposes. Without a conference schedule no kid or parent gets excited to see West Overshoe St on the schedule.

Reaction Score
No attack but who would possibly be a fan of being the biggest joke in football? Not many here I am sure. ;)

The second comment on pay games explains no knowledge of how much ching it takes to run a D1 program. That and we are a state school with reins in all directions along with dept.
As an D1 independent it is imperative to play a challenging schedule for recruiting purposes. Without a conference schedule no kid or parent gets excited to see West Overshoe St on the schedule.

Believe me. I know better than you buddy.

Easier to recruit with a winning record versus recruiting when you are 1–11.

Indisputable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Every single one of your posts begins with “no attack” and it makes me laugh every time lol

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
You should also have UConn beating NC State, Fresno, BC, and Liberty.
YES, that is my annual prediction - undefeated national champs. However, now that the toothpaste is out of the tube regarding perfection this season, I have a more realistic, although slightly optimistic, view.

Reaction Score
But only 1 FCS win per year counts toward "bowl eligibility" - additional FCS wins will pad the overall record, but do not improve bowl standings
Is the UCONN football goal to win five or six games and become "Bowl Eligible" to be able to say they played in a bowl? At five or six wins it would probably be some minor, minor bowl in god knows where in the middle of the week. Not exactly a draw to perhaps plan a mini vacation around.

Maybe I am wrong but aren't these bowl games money losers for the participants (travel, minimum ticket sales required, etc)? In light of the Athletic Department deficit is a minor bowl game even a good idea?

Reaction Score
Is the UCONN football goal to win five or six games and become "Bowl Eligible" to be able to say they played in a bowl? At five or six wins it would probably be some minor, minor bowl in god knows where in the middle of the week. Not exactly a draw to perhaps plan a mini vacation around.

Maybe I am wrong but aren't these bowl games money losers for the participants (travel, minimum ticket sales required, etc)? In light of the Athletic Department deficit is a minor bowl game even a good idea?

You’re not wrong.

Personally I prefer regular season wins.

Reaction Score
I made this point a week ago. Just open it up. What is the worst that could happen? The next game should be a learning opportunity. Who cares if he gets picked off? Sooner or later the timing will come. Same thing for the corners. Let them bang with the receivers at the LoS. They gotta learn that sometime.
I agree, but it doesn’t seem to be philosophy of those in charge. I guess I will echo BL. Let’s see what happens with FIU, Ball, and UMass.

Reaction Score

On a positive, having a bowl allows for more practice time. I would say more work for younger hopefully returning players but UCONN’s 2 deep is primarily underclassmen.

Reaction Score

Yes, that is the goal. At least an interim goal. Because when you stop being a joke and start going to bowl games, which players want to go to, you can recruit better and then set a higher goal. That is exactly what we did, successfully, during Edsall 1, where the schedule improved as the program grew.

Reaction Score
Yes, that is the goal. At least an interim goal. Because when you stop being a joke and start going to bowl games, which players want to go to, you can recruit better and then set a higher goal. That is exactly what we did, successfully, during Edsall 1, where the schedule improved as the program grew.

Losing 500k to $1M on a bowl is worth it.

Reaction Score

Bowl games are a reward to the players. The goal should always be to go to a bowl.

Reaction Score
Believe me. I know better than you buddy.
I'll take your word for that which also means you know better than the AD, head coach and fan base. This forum is nothing more than opinions. With all due respect mine is different than yours.

Winning 8/10 games with a Yankee Conference schedule will do nothing for recruiting or putting fans in the seats. That and not meet TV contractual obligations.

You say,...." Personally I prefer regular season wins."
Then .... Losing 500k to $1M on a bowl is worth it.
Indisputable you used but come across confused. Again no attack just conversation among fellow UConn fans. ;)

Every single one of your posts begins with “no attack” and it makes me laugh every time lol
You will see above I took the free consultation from @businesslawyer and used "with all due respect". Live and learn, a lot of self education in my life span. My no attack came from everyone (many) that have a different opinion take it as an attack.
Glad I could make you laugh and will still use it on occasion just for that purpose. In these times we need more laughter and could care less weather you are laughing at me or with me.
“With all due respect, ….”
Thank you @businesslawyer, from a fellow UConn fan. As you will see above I have already implemented your lingual advice.
I can only hope no arraignment or bench warrant is involved. :D
Rock on with the view from 241!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“With all due respect, ….”
Which is an interesting phrase since the speaker never says how much respect is due.

Reaction Score
UMass, Ball State and FIU may be reasonable chances for wins if we get some bodies back (especially Carter) and better QB play. Hard to see wins with the offense where it is now because I think we give up points to these teams so we are likely going to have to score 20+ in each of these games to win, maybe 30+. Can we do that?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
UMass, Ball State and FIU may be reasonable chances for wins if we get some bodies back (especially Carter) and better QB play. Hard to see wins with the offense where it is now because I think we give up points to these teams so we are likely going to have to score 20+ in each of these games to win, maybe 30+. Can we do that?
Appears Carter is likely out for season with separated shoulder. Fitzgerald also out from torn ACL in practice. Houston might be back for the soft part of the schedule. Tyler Phommachanh might appear this week.

Given the total lack of quality skill position players left, I'm in favor of Charlton inventing a new offense that uses ZT and Tyler Phommachanh in a T formation so the D has no idea which QB the snap is going to :D

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
20 yes, 30? Unlikely.

Reaction Score
I'll take your word for that which also means you know better than the AD, head coach and fan base. This forum is nothing more than opinions. With all due respect mine is different than yours.

Winning 8/10 games with a Yankee Conference schedule will do nothing for recruiting or putting fans in the seats. That and not meet TV contractual obligations.

You say,...." Personally I prefer regular season wins."
Then .... Losing 500k to $1M on a bowl is worth it.
Indisputable you used but come across confused. Again no attack just conversation among fellow UConn fans. ;)

You will see above I took the free consultation from @businesslawyer and used "with all due respect". Live and learn, a lot of self education in my life span. My no attack came from everyone (many) that have a different opinion take it as an attack.
Glad I could make you laugh and will still use it on occasion just for that purpose. In these times we need more laughter and could care less weather you are laughing at me or with me.

Thank you @businesslawyer, from a fellow UConn fan. As you will see above I have already implemented your lingual advice.
I can only hope no arraignment or bench warrant is involved. :D
Rock on with the view from 241!

No attack but, surely you can see there is a vast middle ground, a territory actually, the size of Saturn between whatever we are doing now and what you call “a Yankee conference schedule”.

Of course we will play some pay games but we can for sure schedule for success and maybe not play so many Top 25 teams.

Reaction Score
Separating a shoulder is one thing, tearing a bunch of stuff like he did is another. Dr. Bob Arciero is a miracle worker, but there are limits. I would not expect him back this year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Rome wasn't built in a day especially with so many skill position players out for the year.

This is year one of the rebuilding. I still think UConn wins 2-3 more games which would be an improvement even through some think not.

Reaction Score
I’m still in the camp of 3 or 4 wins. There are some bad teams on our schedule. Right now we are bad too. Those games will come down to effort and execution. I believe we CAN and SHOULD win those games because I believe we can out effort those bad teams. This, of course, assumes we can get our offense back (ala USU and CCSU) when we aren’t facing some of the best and biggest defenses in the country. Until proven otherwise, I will stick to this as I did all summer.
Now, with our injuries, I think 3 is perhaps more likely and 4 would be a solid accomplishment. I’m not willing to settle for 1 or 2.

Reaction Score
I’m still in the camp of 3 or 4 wins. There are some bad teams on our schedule. Right now we are bad too. Those games will come down to effort and execution. I believe we CAN and SHOULD win those games because I believe we can out effort those bad teams. This, of course, assumes we can get our offense back (ala USU and CCSU) when we aren’t facing some of the best and biggest defenses in the country. Until proven otherwise, I will stick to this as I did all summer.
Now, with our injuries, I think 3 is perhaps more likely and 4 would be a solid accomplishment. I’m not willing to settle for 1 or 2.
The available players today and potentially for the rest of the season are far different from what was expected during the Summer. You have to factor that into the equation. If we get to 3-9 and see progress with the cultural improvement, I think a reasonable minded person would have to believe that it was a successful season. Not what we hoped for but successful. Maybe even 2-10 would be satisfactory depending on the availability of personnel? No one should be happy about 2 wins but given the schedule and the injuries if the team closes out the year with competitive, close losses at least that shows heart and character. Again, depends on who we have to play those games especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
With the WRs out, Roberson out and Carter out. 3 wins will be a miracle. It’s just unreal how much we are missing.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Separating a shoulder is one thing, tearing a bunch of stuff like he did is another. Dr. Bob Arciero is a miracle worker, but there are limits. I would not expect him back this year.
What do you mean "tearing a bunch of stuff"? I thought the report said it was a second degree shoulder separation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom