The rest of the season | The Boneyard

The rest of the season

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We have 8 games left. We are 1-3. I really want to beat UMass, FIU, and Ball State. Even if we get shellacked by everyone else, I would consider 4-8 a success for Mora's first year. Yesterday was expected. Michigan had previously rolled a better Colorado State team and comparable Hawaii team.

I just hope we are healthier for the Ball State game in four weeks.

Reaction Score
The principle question today is how banged up UConn will be after the next two games when the schedule turns more favorable. Who is still available. And that is not to say that the Fresno game is out of reach. With the right circumstances, there could be an upset opportunity there.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
It's really hard to know how the rest of the season will shape up, considering the injuries we're dealing with and the lack of depth on our roster. Staying healthy for the rest of the season, thereby giving players a chance to develop, gives us our best shot at success at this point. Also, with Nate Carter presumably out for the next few games, I think the pressure is on to put together a serviceable passing game.

Reaction Score
We have 8 games left. We are 1-3. I really want to beat UMass, FIU, and Ball State. Even if we get shellacked by everyone else, I would consider 4-8 a success for Mora's first year. Yesterday was expected. Michigan had previously rolled a better Colorado State team and comparable Hawaii team.

I just hope we are healthier for the Ball State game in four weeks.

I’ve been saying all along. 3 wins would be a big achievement god thus crew.

Reaction Score
Watched some of USC vs. FS and the game was much tougher and hard hitting than the score suggests. With our current roster and offensive scheme an upset of FS would be stunning.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying all along. 3 wins would be a big achievement god thus crew.
3 wins is not an achievement. It’s fulfilling expectations of a losing season. That’s easy. An achievement is exceeding expectations.

Reaction Score
The principle question today is how banged up UConn will be after the next two games when the schedule turns more favorable. Who is still available. And that is not to say that the Fresno game is out of reach. With the right circumstances, there could be an upset opportunity there.
I think Haener is out for the game.

Reaction Score
3 wins is not an achievement. It’s fulfilling expectations of a losing season. That’s easy. An achievement is exceeding expectations.

We haven’t beaten an FBS opponent since 2019.

We haven’t beaten a team in an FBS conference since Tulsa in 2016 or something.

Of course getting two FBS wins in one season is an accomplishment for this crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
shouldn't you be watching soccer or something because you would be wrong after last two season's or were you under a rock then

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
It definitely is an achievement in the sense that is measurable progress. If you're saying going 3-9 this season is not the ultimate goal I would agree, but it is a step in the right direction. So, if we can get 3 wins I'll consider it "mission accomplished" with the expectation that next season we'll be a little better.

I am wondering if you think we have a Syracuse type of scenario here where they were 1-10 in 2020, 5-7 last year, and look to do even better this year. I don't think so. I think the timeline is longer here, so maybe it's 1-11 in 2021, 3-9 in 2022, and 5-7 in 2023, maybe 6-6, and bowl eligibility in 2023 or 2024. We'll have to see.

Of course, we'll need to see the schedule to get a better sense of what is achievable.

Reaction Score
It definitely is an achievement in the sense that is measurable progress. If you're saying going 3-9 this season is not the ultimate goal I would agree, but it is a step in the right direction. So, if we can get 3 wins I'll consider it "mission accomplished" with the expectation that next season we'll be a little better.

I am wondering if you think we have a Syracuse type of scenario here where they were 1-10 in 2020, 5-7 last year, and look to do even better this year. I don't think so. I think the timeline is longer here, so maybe it's 1-11 in 2021, 3-9 in 2022, and 5-7 in 2023, maybe 6-6, and bowl eligibility in 2023 or 2024. We'll have to see.

Of course, we'll need to see the schedule to get a better sense of what is achievable.

Respectfully, we’re not in a Syracuse situation. The ACC and P5 tie in allows them to regenerate faster. We’re in a long haul situation. We need consistency and we need Mora to ensure we have the best coaching possible to develop those two and three star kids; while also hitting the portal like crazy.

Also given the fact that there are like 70 bowl games we might as well relook the schedule but that ship has likely sailed.

Reaction Score
We haven’t beaten an FBS opponent since 2019.

We haven’t beaten a team in an FBS conference since Tulsa in 2016 or something.

Of course getting two FBS wins in one season is an accomplishment for this crew.

Haven't beaten an out-of-state opponent since 2019.

Has a total of 3 FBS wins since 2017.

Haven't won 3 FBS games in the same season since 2015.

Reaction Score
We beat Tulsa at home in mid-season 2017. Since then our only FBS win was at UMass in 2019.

The point is……..it’s bad.

Tulsa was the last win against a team in an FBS conference. Feels like an eternity ago.

Reaction Score
Our only chance for another win is UMass. Utah st is bad. Ccsu is really really bad. We lost to one and were having issues up too the 3rd quarter with the other. We have injuries and are not equipped to handle any injuries.

Reaction Score
Our only chance for another win is UMass. Utah st is bad. Ccsu is really really bad. We lost to one and were having issues up too the 3rd quarter with the other. We have injuries and are not equipped to handle any injuries.
FIU is extremely bad too.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Respectfully, we’re not in a Syracuse situation. The ACC and P5 tie in allows them to regenerate faster. We’re in a long haul situation. We need consistency and we need Mora to ensure we have the best coaching possible to develop those two and three star kids; while also hitting the portal like crazy.

Also given the fact that there are like 70 bowl games we might as well relook the schedule but that ship has likely sailed.
Extrapolate on your last paragraph.

Reaction Score
Sagarin ratings:
5 Michigan
24 NC State
42 Syracuse
68 Liberty
70 Fresno State
77 Army
104 BC
120 Ball State
126 Utah State
173 UConn
178 FIU
202 UMass
250 CCSU

I don't see Ball State as a gimme. FIU and UMass should be wins.

Reaction Score
I am wondering if you think we have a Syracuse type of scenario here where they were 1-10 in 2020, 5-7 last year, and look to do even better this year. I don't think so.
Well, it doesn't take much. (forget about us not playing in 2020) Let's start in 2020 and keep both school's rosters just as they were-- except switch QB's.You don't think we'd be better in 2021 and with a chance to turn it around this year--- and Syracuse would be struggling?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I’m good with playing another FCS each season to pad some wins in the event we have some series cancel on us.
The Army method. I’m not a fan of this idea at all. Bad opponents at home (even if we win) doesn’t drive attendance or interest.

IMO, I would get rid of the FCS game entirely (if feasible due to scheduling difficulties) and the pay day games.

The AD needs to start scheduling further in advance than currently and try to get 6 home and home series a year with ACC, B1G, and occasionally SEC teams.

I would fill out the schedule with two of Temple, Buffalo, USF, or ECU; Army and UMass every year; and two MW teams.

I have no interest in playing anyone in C-USA, the MAC, or Sun Belt outside of Buffalo or App St.

Possible schedule (2030):
Duke (H)
Maryland (A)
UNC (A)
Syracuse (H)
Indiana (A)
Fresno State (H)
Wyoming (A)
Buffalo (H)
Temple (H)
UMass (A)
Boston College (H)