The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years

Do you believe in Edsall?

• Yes

Votes: 64 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 43.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Not my point at all

Grad Transfers are coming from other schools. With degrees. Can get in most Departments at UConn.

This is a NEW era of CFB. Despite moaning, Edsall understands he has to play. He needs to be opportunistic on grabbing experience at this moment of the Program.
Then I guess that I don't know what we are talking about because it seems like we are in violent agreement. My point was that it makes no sense to leave scholarships unfilled when there are JUCO's and grads available -- assuming of course that they can play, can get admitted, and meet a need. And, btw, not all graduates can get into graduate school, just like not all JUCO's can get into UConn as undergrads..

Reaction Score
Take DBs

In last years class:
Terrance Ganyi
Jalon Ferrell
Messiah Turner
Malik Banks
O’Neill Robinson
Jeremy Lucien
Keyshawn Paul
Jordan Morrison
Shamel Lazarus
Ryan Carroll

10 kids. In HCRE 1.0, we’d have seen 1 of the 10 step onto the field of these CB/S/HybridLB Guys. We saw 6 play significant roles. Can you say with certainty that any of them won’t pop and be “coached up”? Of course not.

We had to Play this way. Because Diaco didn’t produce this level of kid - or rarely.

Your point is crap.

However, I concede that I’m not seeing any diamonds from his young personally chosen staff. But that - also- might become clear over time.

Randy hasn’t lost his evaluation credentials. He’s got that.
The eye test is still a good test. The only point made was the one you conceded. I don’t see any breakout kids. Young good players make plenty of mistakes, but they also seem to rise above their counterparts with occasional special play. I just haven’t seen anybody separate.

Reaction Score
Ok

Totally missed a few points

UConn Football is waiting for the end of the Spring Semester with 5 scholarships available. Why? Because kids will come out of their Spring knowing that their football playing slot is constrained or lessening at other Universities ... AND they have the degree (or not) to transfer. Immediately. Edsall will know further his own roster.

I expect to Plug 2-4 new athletes into the UConn Program.

Then

We played 6 of the 10 newbies in 2018. All you can say - about kids that had been playing HS ball not that long ago - is they looked the part. Did some get better over the course of games. Yes.

I think it’s a solid group. “Coach them up” ... let’s see Year 3. That’s the fair evaluation point. And ... trading in Cox for our previous guy Perkins was a statement. We need to see solid play out of the DBs.

DL too. I loved some moments of Uguak and Pace and DeVaughn and Jones. But often they looked overmatched. They were. That would have been true of ANY UConn DL guy in the last 20 years - they played experienced men.

Reaction Score
Uguak loked a little slow for a DE. DeVaughn needs more strength as he had big trouble trying to hold the edge. In fact, no one on UConn did an adequate job of holding the edge. We need these guys to make a jump.

Reaction Score
UConn Football is waiting for the end of the Spring Semester with 5 scholarships available. Why? Because kids will come out of their Spring knowing that their football playing slot is constrained or lessening at other Universities ... AND they have the degree (or not) to transfer. Immediately. Edsall will know further his own roster.

I expect to Plug 2-4 new athletes into the UConn Program.

So the rationale now is that RE was being strategic all along with his open scholarships? Seems like it's been a net loss for UConn with the transfer portal thus far.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
So the rationale now is that RE was being strategic all along with his open scholarships? Seems like it's been a net loss for UConn with the transfer portal thus far.

That is an opinion, not a fact. Just saying

Reaction Score

You want guys that DOMINATE at that lower level. EACH - Thompkins, Beaudry, Brown, Hinton - have that mark. And the Vandenwhatever going to Iowa too. That is the best you can do ... see them play and its a superlative.

WE are not going to easily get P5 guys to us now. However, on the QB front, the number 3 and 4 at a bunch of P5 schools would; they can see - barring injuries - they aren't gonna play. We chose Beaudry as John Dunn went and judged his alternatives: took the Big Guy from Sasketoon. (oops Regina)

Reaction Score
It would be nice if we could kill this thread... straight up Debbie Downer (starting with the title of it)... Just plain old uninspiring....
My thought exactly. We have a bunch of student athletes that are coming and want to be here. Let's give them our support and enthuiasm for their choice.

Reaction Score
Huskymedic - Can we get some help here? Get rid of this thread.. once and for all...

Reaction Score
I shared my views on this particular thread earlier. I'm exhausted by the negativity that has overtaken the BY, but I do understand it after years of sub-par performance on the field, carousel coaching, and the cold realization that UConn has been shut out of the P5 party. However, if we are going to suggest threads die based on negativity, there may be nothing left to read here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom