The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years

Do you believe in Edsall?

• Yes

Votes: 64 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 43.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Edsall is a far better evaluator of talent than any of the internet "experts." I am not a huge Edsall fan. But I was here for his entire first tenure. And his recruiting classes routinely played better on the field than any of the ratings would imply.

About the highest recruiting rating Edsall ever received was in the 70s. Most year's our classes were at the bottom of the conference rankings. Yet his teams were conference co-champs twice and they consistently performed above their recruiting and pre-season ranking.

The guy simply has an eye for talent. He is far beter at projecting where a high school player will be in two to three years than most of his competitors on the recruiting trail. Yep, it's frustrating to see low ranked class after low ranked class. But Edsall knows a lot more than the guys doing the rankings. I have to give Randy his due, this is one of his gifts.
Agreed 100%. The question only is Edsall still has the fire to get it done. After year 2, I’m not so certain. The mental toughness of these teams have been non- RE 1.0. In the old days, they might struggle but every oppoenet new they were’nt getting out without a physical beating.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Kinda of hard to tell if the class is good or bad without them hitting the field? No? I’m sure Ryan Griffin and Kendall Reyes weren’t top recruits of that class, and I’m sure their were many more that I’m missing, problem is when you lose consistently everyone is gunning for ya kinda sad

Reaction Score
That list is misleading. It’s based on total ratings points which rewards quantity over quality.

For example if you average the composite score for Ohio Sate’s class it turns out to be a lot better because they only took like 15-16 recruits this season.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
“Fans” like you are why we can’t have nice things.
You can be a fan of a team but not think the head coach knows what he’s doing... Happens all the time pal.

Reaction Score
You can be a fan of a team but not think the head coach knows what he’s doing... Happens all the time pal.

Count me among the many disappointed you got passed over for the position.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the Boneyard needs a thread entitled "Despicable Hit Jobs" or something along those lines. Then all the bashers and links to Anti-UCONN FB articles can be posted there. The theory being you keep all the garbage in one junkyard rather than scattering it throughout the neighborhood.

Reaction Score
The recruiting classes are what they are. Randy was able to do more with less the first time around through his eye for talent and development program.

I'm not convinced that he will turn it around yet, but it's also way to early to call it a failure. So I guess you can call me a believer... for now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't care what the class rank is so long as it improves the on the field product. The problem is that it is tough to have an unheralded true frosh impact player. So the process continues, but next year is very likely to be another tough year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I’m curious, how many of you actually believe in Edsall? This is absurd.

Why are you here? I've nothing but complaining from you about UConn football. Maybe you should become a Clemson or Alabama fan as you would be less disappointed and would leave UConn football to actual fans

Reaction Score
The recruiting classes are what they are. Randy was able to do more with less the first time around through his eye for talent and development program.

I'm not convinced that he will turn it around yet, but it's also way to early to call it a failure. So I guess you can call me a believer... for now.

I think it's okay to admit we don't really know. In many ways, I think RE 1.0 had an easier time with the excitement of the new stadium and product, a generational QB in Orlosvky, etc.

Now he takes over in the midst of a downward spiral in a less attractive environment, but the same skills which gave him success last time may serve him again (finding under-the-radar recruits, building a high-character program, letting players develop over time, etc.).

But we don't know yet. Anybody who says they do is full of it.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
I think it's okay to admit we don't really know. In many ways, I think RE 1.0 had an easier time with the excitement of the new stadium and product, a generational QB in Orlosvky, etc.

Now he takes over in the midst of a downward spiral in a less attractive environment, but the same skills which gave him success last time may serve him again (finding under-the-radar recruits, building a high-character program, letting players develop over time, etc.).

But we don't know yet. Anybody who says they do is full of it.

Some might say he doesn't even know himself

Reaction Score
RE 1.0 was younger, hungrier, and UConn had nowhere to go but up being that the new stadium was being built, and the BE was a BCS conference.

Fast forward to now>>>Even if we see the team become moderately better, we're still in a disrespected conference (until something changes), and the excitement of having a fresh new D1 football team on the rise is gone from people's minds. Oh and a lot of people are still pissed at him for the way he hightailed it to UofM in 2011...

He's definitely not in an enviable position.

Reaction Score
FIRST

You start here: I firmly believe that Edsall is a far better evaluator of Talent - at the level we recruit specifically for a Northeast University - than either Diaco or Paul Pasqualoni. Sorry. I trust my eyes and then read the stories of the kids as they arrive. Therefore, there is no way the Class that just came in is worse than either of those two predecessor coaches' harvest. For pure rankings? PP could grab a Rivals 3 star - seemingly aiming that way OR conversely he "achieved" a 3 star because he nudged the evaluator. Edsall doesn't care - frankly.

SECOND

Who here thinks we shouldn't have plugged key positional holes with Grad Transfer/JUCO kids? We simply have no 2018 seniors nor 2019 seniors. It would be fundamentally malpractice not to search for these positional upperclassmen. So … Net … no ranking advantage.

5 more scholarship available? Do you really think we are done? Roster Management is an Edsall strength. He wouldn't have been the PP who let Robbie Frey wiggle on; nor put Jonny McEntee as starting QB. He would not give up on Offense by placing a Governor on the passing game because we couldn't protect the QB. We can certainly b#tch on 2018; but, it is clear that he has an idea on what he needs.

The inherently self-interested Basketball dreamer wishing for Big East glory needs to accept that those days are gone. We aren't a fit … even if we desired to be in that league; and we need to find a new way. I miss the Thursday BE Tournament greatly. (and the semis on Friday)

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
He knows more than you will ever know. I am talking about HCRE and most of the people who post here. Fair weather fans suck
How am I a fair weather fan? Any reasonable fan points out when the head man isn’t doing good. That’s why everyone called out KO, so don’t call me biased because I’m an MBB fan either.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I don't like anything that denigrates the players who come here. The title of your post is designed to get clicks at the expense of kids. We can't control what someone outside of the BY writes, but we can express our disgust with people who support it here.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
How am I a fair weather fan? Any reasonable fan points out when the head man isn’t doing good. That’s why everyone called out KO, so don’t call me biased because I’m an MBB fan either.
He is in the middle of a rebuilding job. How many houses do you judge while under construction? Look at the final product or in this case after 4 years - then judge.

PS The difference between RE and KO is wide. KO took a National Championship program and screwed it all up. RE is taking garbage created by a POS and is trying to build a program. Both are (or were) under .500 with momentum going in different directions.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
You had two prior posts on the football board before starting this thread, and one of those was "who in the world would want to come play here if they are actually good?"
Once again has nothing to do with my support of the program. No one that’s good will come here. No one did before Edsall returned and he’s making no improvements as far as I can see. I’m no big CFB fan or anything, but it’s obvious to see when improvements in play are being made, and I’m seeing none.

And don’t call me a fair weather fan, there are past die hard fans who have tapped out. What was the attendance average last year?

Reaction Score
And don’t call me a fair weather fan, there are past die hard fans who have tapped out. What was the attendance average last year?

And when we start winning again, they'll be back. That's the definition of fair weather fan. We aren't unique, every fan base has them.

Reaction Score
Once again has nothing to do with my support of the program. No one that’s good will come here. No one did before Edsall returned and he’s making no improvements as far as I can see. I’m no big CFB fan or anything, but it’s obvious to see when improvements in play are being made, and I’m seeing none.

I don’t think anyone is calling you a fair weather fan. I would say you aren’t a fan at all. Enjoy the basketball board.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You’d think people who support the program would congregate with other like-minded people to discuss the program a bit more often, no?

I don’t give a hoot what other people have or haven’t done. All you’ve shown us is that you come here to dunk on the team once every 5-6 months. You don’t have much of a leg to stand on here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom