The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The recruiting class is the worst in the past five years

Do you believe in Edsall?

• Yes

Votes: 64 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 43.9%

• Total voters

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This program cried about for stability after PP and the POS. Problem was there was no foundation for a good program. A Dino Babers type would have left after 1 or 2 years due to $$ or a P5 position. And then we would be back to where we were. Unlike Temple- which caught lighting in a bottle with Al Golden, the resulting hires built on what he did. An RE type was needed- someone who could rebuild infrastructure and build a foundation. Yes we suffered through true freshmen last year- but the upside will be realized in the next 3 years.

C

Chief00

The same thing was said throughout Edsall's first tenure. The difference between Edsall and Diaco/HCPP is that many of Edsall's 2 stars became NFL or borderline NFL talent. That is a combination of talent evaluation and player development. Remember, the team that Pasqualoni inherited in 2011 had the following players on the roster:

Shamar Stephen, Sio Moore, Kashif Moore, Blidi, Dwayne Gratz, Kendall Reyes, Geremy Davis, Deshon Foxx, Byron Jones, Andrew Adams, Nick Williams, Yawin Smallwood, Trevardo Williams and Ryan Griffin. This is leaving out many others that attended NFL camps.

Even with those players Edsall was criticized for poor recruiting as his classes were generally in the mid 80s nationally. Pasqualoni brought in a few with NFL talent (Obi and Fatukasi). Some of Diaco's recruits are TBD, but nobody stands out as NFL talent. Comments of Chief and others seem like those of a casual fan who doesn't really understand the quality of recruiting and player development that Edsall is capable of.

3-21 is the record thus far. We are going into year 3.

Reaction Score
While recruiting rankings are far from perfect, they are pretty damn good indication of the over all quality of a class. They provide a fair starting point to project future performance. There are always going to be exceptions to the rule where unheralded prospects blow up at the college level vs. the highly regarded who end up as total busts. You simply can't measure intangibles like work ethic, desire, or preparation.

That being said look at the schools who are at the top of the recruiting rankings for the last 3-5 years. Look at those near the bottom. Contrast the recruiting class rankings with the actual on field performance of these programs. If you don't see the obvious correlation between the two you are in denial. These kids aren't ranked 4&5 Stars simply because they are going to Bama or OSU. They're ranked there because they are really good.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
4-20. But 2-20 against FBS.
Stand corrected.
tenor (1).gif

Reaction Score
O ...

Comparable are a good measure.

We are in the Northeast at the highest level they give you in this game. And before us? Rutgers (Anderson to O'Shea to Schiano); Temple (Dickerson to Wallace to Golden); Buffalo (Hofher to Gill to Quinn to Leipold) ... are instructive.

Does anyone want to go look at the Hofher 6 year record or Wallace 8 year or the O'Shea 5 year.

Diaco had to go ... he placed in structurally an awful position. There's no reason to debate that. My point is that we aren't in a huge rich fertile Football harvesting neighborhood. It shouldn't be a surprise that UCF can go from Zero wins to 12 fast. Once you are knocked down - at this level - you are gonna struggle. And it is ROSTER improvement through recruiting that is going to do it. No ... HCRE 2.0 must be different than 1.0. In each of the 3 earlier examples, the Staff figured a unique way to gain traction which led to gradual then marked improvement. I have faith - with time - Edsall can rebuild. I fear the changes in conference and in money in the AD and the young FB staff that we have a more daunting path. This AAC is not going to ever be easy for us; either in fanbase passion or in winning games.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
O ...

Comparable are a good measure.

We are in the Northeast at the highest level they give you in this game. And before us? Rutgers (Anderson to O'Shea to Schiano); Temple (Dickerson to Wallace to Golden); Buffalo (Hofher to Gill to Quinn to Leipold) ... are instructive.

Does anyone want to go look at the Hofher 6 year record or Wallace 8 year or the O'Shea 5 year.

Diaco had to go ... he placed in structurally an awful position. There's no reason to debate that. My point is that we aren't in a huge rich fertile Football harvesting neighborhood. It shouldn't be a surprise that UCF can go from Zero wins to 12 fast. Once you are knocked down - at this level - you are gonna struggle. And it is ROSTER improvement through recruiting that is going to do it. No ... HCRE 2.0 must be different than 1.0. In each of the 3 earlier examples, the Staff figured a unique way to gain traction which led to gradual then marked improvement. I have faith - with time - Edsall can rebuild. I fear the changes in conference and in money in the AD and the young FB staff that we have a more daunting path. This AAC is not going to ever be easy for us; either in fanbase passion or in winning games.

This is pretty spot on. Tough to fight your way back when you're constantly getting kicked in the teeth from multiple angles. We need ourselves a sugar daddy booster.

Reaction Score
If Beaudry ends up being a two year starter with Cochran like passing ability this could easily be the best recruiting class this decade. Yes I know that is a big IF, but recruiting classes are always about IF's. Most of these kids did in fact have other D1 offers and more could be added.

If you think this is the worst class in the last 5 years you haven't been paying attention, the Diaco classes were thin on defensive talent and that is being kind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Edsall had wanted to win quickly, he could have gone the JUCO route, but the UConn administration would never have allowed it and the football program wouldn't have built a foundation. The way to win at UConn is to recruit HS seniors that need development, redshirt as many as you can, develop them, and have them play 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately, we aren't there yet on the development side.

It looks like UConn's administration is treating grad transfers kinder, so that route appears to be open for Edsall and it appears that he will take advantage of it. I think we will add more this season.

Some of you have trashed the D2 grad transfers. Well, one of the D2 grad transfers UConn was recruiting, Zach VanValenburg, just committed to Iowa. There is talent everywhere and you have to open minded to take advantage of it.

Reaction Score
If Edsall had wanted to win quickly, he could have gone the JUCO route, but the UConn administration would never have allowed it and the football program wouldn't have built a foundation.
So instead they left the scholarships unfilled. That makes no sense at all. They'll take everyone who is good enough, meets a need, can get in, and can be convinced to come to Storrs. Leaving scholarships open is harmful. Beggars can't be choosers. UConn is way beyond the long range build issue. They need success NOW or their recruiting woes will continue and they won't have a program after 2021.

C

Chief00

While recruiting rankings are far from perfect, they are pretty damn good indication of the over all quality of a class. They provide a fair starting point to project future performance. There are always going to be exceptions to the rule where unheralded prospects blow up at the college level vs. the highly regarded who end up as total busts. You simply can't measure intangibles like work ethic, desire, or preparation.

That being said look at the schools who are at the top of the recruiting rankings for the last 3-5 years. Look at those near the bottom. Contrast the recruiting class rankings with the actual on field performance of these programs. If you don't see the obvious correlation between the two you are in denial. These kids aren't ranked 4&5 Stars simply because they are going to Bama or OSU. They're ranked there because they are really good.
Agree.

Reaction Score
There is something qualitatively different this time around that I can’t put my finger on. I see very few transformations of players like the RE1 era. 2 years in and I struggle to see any emerging super talent from being “coached up”. I could always see the the diamonds start to shine and come along in RE1 era, and, true to the point, they were often not who you thought coming in. It may very well be he picked a really poor staff this time around and missed the mark.

Reaction Score
So instead they left the scholarships unfilled. That makes no sense at all. They'll take everyone who is good enough, meets a need, can get in, and can be convinced to come to Storrs. Leaving scholarships open is harmful. Beggars can't be choosers. UConn is way beyond the long range build issue. They need success NOW or their recruiting woes will continue and they won't have a program after 2021.

You do understand academics ... right?

At the end of the Spring Semester (and after Spring practice), there will be solid talent available. Several. Edsall has never left scholarship resources unused. But, unlike 1.0, he’s not gonna reach on those last 5. He’ll pull in 1-3 after April; then determine a few WOs and gift current Advancing PWOs a valued scholarship for performance merit. Thus ... he incentivized future UConn WO.

Reaction Score
There is something qualitatively different this time around that I can’t put my finger on. I see very few transformations of players like the RE1 era. 2 years in and I struggle to see any emerging super talent from being “coached up”. I could always see the the diamonds start to shine and come along in RE1 era, and, true to the point, they were often not who you thought coming in. It may very well be he picked a really poor staff this time around and missed the mark.

Take DBs

In last years class:
Terrance Ganyi
Jalon Ferrell
Messiah Turner
Malik Banks
O’Neill Robinson
Jeremy Lucien
Keyshawn Paul
Jordan Morrison
Shamel Lazarus
Ryan Carroll

10 kids. In HCRE 1.0, we’d have seen 1 of the 10 step onto the field of these CB/S/HybridLB Guys. We saw 6 play significant roles. Can you say with certainty that any of them won’t pop and be “coached up”? Of course not.

We had to Play this way. Because Diaco didn’t produce this level of kid - or rarely.

Your point is crap.

However, I concede that I’m not seeing any diamonds from his young personally chosen staff. But that - also- might become clear over time.

Randy hasn’t lost his evaluation credentials. He’s got that.

Reaction Score
Would refer you to the "can get in" portion of my post.

Not my point at all

Grad Transfers are coming from other schools. With degrees. Can get in most Departments at UConn.

This is a NEW era of CFB. Despite moaning, Edsall understands he has to play. He needs to be opportunistic on grabbing experience at this moment of the Program.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

No it isn't. When I talked to Edsall he was going to look at the portal to fill a couple of other spots. He left a couple of open for that reason along with giving a scholarship to a walk on who deserves it for a year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom