The path to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament | The Boneyard

The path to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Only five times since 1979 has a team won the NCAA tournament as a #4 seed or worse. Of course, we did it in 2014, but it is unlikely to happen. Therefore, it is imperative to get at least a #3 seed.
We are 18-6. IMO, we need two more wins to clinch a berth in the NCAA tournament. IMO, it is imperative that we get a #3 seed not only to make a deep run but to avoid a loss in the first round. If we are a 4 seed or worse we will lose in the first round. Hurley doesn't do well when the other team has time to scout. Our two biggest wins (Iowa State and Alabama) were in a tournament setting where the opponent didn't even know if they were going to play us 20 hours before. I think Hurley will do better in the second game of a weekend than the first due to this issue. This is why it is critical to get a #3 seed. Even with scouting, a 14 seed likely won't have the guns to keep up (we are talking a Patriot, Big Sky, Horizon type team). If we land a 4 or 5 seed, we run a legitimate risk of running into an FAU, Charleston, or MVC or Southern champ. Bad news.

Here is the path IMO to a top 3 seed:
5-2 the rest of the regular season + BET championship (26-8)
6-1 the rest of the regular season + BET finalist (26-8)
7-0 the rest of the regular season + BET semifinalist or BET quarterfinalist (26-7 or 25-7)

This week is critical for this mission. 2-0 gives us a legitimate chance.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Win 2/3 out of Marquette, Creighton and PC + win the other 4 games + 1 win in the BET vs a top 4 seed should give us a 3 seed.

I do not agree with your assessment that we will lose as a 4 seed or worse simply because the opponent will “out scout” us.

We beat Oregon, won at Florida and beat OSU all handily when they had plenty of time to scout us out (quality teams who are 52, 39 and 29 in the KenPom, respectively).

Our loss last year to NMSU was not a scouting issue. It was the fact that some guy played the game of his life and dropped 40 on us.

Reaction Score
Only five times since 1979 has a team won the NCAA tournament as a #4 seed or worse. Of course, we did it in 2014, but it is unlikely to happen. Therefore, it is imperative to get at least a #3 seed.
We are 18-6. IMO, we need two more wins to clinch a berth in the NCAA tournament. IMO, it is imperative that we get a #3 seed not only to make a deep run but to avoid a loss in the first round. If we are a 4 seed or worse we will lose in the first round. Hurley doesn't do well when the other team has time to scout. Our two biggest wins (Iowa State and Alabama) were in a tournament setting where the opponent didn't even know if they were going to play us 20 hours before. I think Hurley will do better in the second game of a weekend than the first due to this issue. This is why it is critical to get a #3 seed. Even with scouting, a 14 seed likely won't have the guns to keep up (we are talking a Patriot, Big Sky, Horizon type team). If we land a 4 or 5 seed, we run a legitimate risk of running into an FAU, Charleston, or MVC or Southern champ. Bad news.

7-0 the rest of the regular season + BET semifinalist or BET quarterfinalist (26-7 or 25-7)

Your disdain for Hurley is comical,please try a new tact.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Win 2/3 out of Marquette, Creighton and PC + win the other 4 games + 1 win in the BET vs a top 4 seed should give us a 3 seed.

I do not agree with your assessment that we will lose as a 4 seed or worse simply because the opponent will “out scout” us.

We beat Oregon, won at Florida and beat OSU all handily when they had plenty of time to scout us out (quality teams who are 52, 39 and 29 in the KenPom, respectively).

Our loss last year to NMSU was not a scouting issue. It was the fact that some guy played the game of his life and dropped 40 on us.
I remember that game clearly. He was making threes left and right. Off Balance, NBA threes. Tightly guarded.

Reaction Score

Thinking 5-2 in the next 7 and a couple wins in the BE you're looking at a 25-9 BE team should be a 3 worst case 4. But this is a big ask by the way, but it's a good time for them to prove something.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Thinking 5-2 in the next 7 and a couple wins in the BE you're looking at a 25-9 BE team should be a 3 worst case 4. But this is a big ask by the way, but it's a good time for them to prove something.
Also agree this is another path to a 3 seed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Recording with Lunardi tonight for CT Scoreboard Podcast. I'll make sure we discuss this path to a 3. If anyone has any other questions drop them here and I'll try to get to them
What’s UConn’s likelihood of getting placed in the east regional if they aren’t a 1 or 2 seed (like… if they end up getting a 3 seed).

Reaction Score
Recording with Lunardi tonight for CT Scoreboard Podcast. I'll make sure we discuss this path to a 3. If anyone has any other questions drop them here and I'll try to get to them
UConn has broken the computers due to their non conference margin of victories. Will the committee side with the NET and predictive metrics or seed based on the general perception of the team (closer to the ap poll ranking).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The next three games are HUGE. If we go 3-0, I think we sweep the rest of the regular season.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Now that the committee has informed us we are a #5 seed if the tournament started today, we have an idea of what we need to do. This IMO falls in line with what I described above.

If we go 4-0 to finish the regular season and get to the BET championship game, I think we will get into the top-12 (a three seed). That would mean we would have three additional wins against top-5 teams in the league.

If we fail to beat Providence, our only hope is winning out the rest of the way until Selection Sunday.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Now that the committee has informed us we are a #5 seed if the tournament started today, we have an idea of what we need to do. This IMO falls in line with what I described above.

If we go 4-0 to finish the regular season and get to the BET championship game, I think we will get into the top-12 (a three seed). That would mean we would have three additional wins against top-5 teams in the league.

If we fail to beat Providence, our only hope is winning out the rest of the way until Selection Sunday.
There is less emphasis placed on conference tournament games to affect seeding. Win out and hope for chaos at the top.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need to win out heading to MSG. If we go 1-1 vs the other top teams we could be a 4 seed depending on what else happens. Make the final and a 4 is a lock. Win by beating 3 of the other top seeds and we could end up with a 3 seed. Bomb out in any these next 3 games or lose the first BET game and its 5/6 territory.

Reaction Score

Classic case of correlation without causation. :)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ask him if Houston is a lock or if he has them in the “should be in” category…lol
If Houston isnt a lock after beating Memphis tonight something smells funny

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

and no adjustments made by the coaching staff

Reaction Score
Imagine if we lose to FAU via a Jalen Gaffney 3 at the buzzer. Things would get crazy.
I prefer to imagine what it would be like if we end the season just like we started the season - with a 14 game winning streak. We have the first one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom